HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 7)

Old
04-19-2017, 03:56 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Trauma teams converge on london..............

Wee Davey inconsolable and under Doc supervision.........

League offices will be closed tomorrow for a day of mourning..........

the 4 officials of tonight;s s game have been let go by the league..........

green armbands ordered mandatory for all CHL offices.............

No B2B good knight...........
A classic post if I ever saw one

punch1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:20 PM
OHLTG

Does anyone remember what we dealt to Ottawa for Addison? I want to say two 2nds, but...

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:37 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Does anyone remember what we dealt to Ottawa for Addison? I want to say two 2nds, but...
AUGUST 17
OTTAWA
JEREMIAH ADDISON
OTT 15th '18

WINDSOR
WSR 15th '18
NIA 2nd '18
WSR 2nd '22

scokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:24 PM
OHLTG

Do we know what the conditions were?

Old
04-20-2017, 10:37 PM
may know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohltg View Post
do we know what the conditions were?

may know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:15 AM
OHLTG

Thanks! I was trying to do some research for something and that was the one trade I couldn't find answers for.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Buttsy

Quote:
Thx Windsor7, for getting my humour.

Im suprised there's not more of a party on here.

I didnt want London to have a chance to win the mem cup in our rink.

My summer is now complete............Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!
I was surprised as well (more of a party) after all of the embarrassment of this season for Windsor fans you could almost feel it was going to end with London in the Memorial Cup. Dodged a bullet for sure.....

Buttsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
ohloutsider

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the future direction of the Spits. Already been some good thoughts and posts on this subject from others so hope you don't mind if I overlap a bit.
This year there is no clear direction on where the Spits are heading - last year was easy all in and host the Memorial Cup - this year could go a few different ways - all will be impacted by some key decisions. Will the team be sold? Will the team have a new GM? Will there be changes to the coaching staff? Each one of these questions need to be answered before there is a clear direction of this team.
Option 1 - New owners come in and look for an immediate "splash" - no assets to help this but high end returning players come back and don"t get traded this team would be middle of the pack competetive. Don't see this as the best option.
Option 2 - Team moves some high end assets throughout the year up to an including trade deadline. Works rookies into the line up and does what I call a partial rebuild - hangs onto a couple high end players to keep the team at least in a playoff position - I see this as the most logical option.
Option 3 - Sell, sell, sell - basically go for a total rebuild and if someone is buying we are selling - Not my favorite option but it might happen and will not surprise me - look for a first overall pick next year and possibly the following year with this option.

Next I will talk about the players future ( at least my guess).

ohloutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
I was surprised as well (more of a party) after all of the embarrassment of this season for Windsor fans you could almost feel it was going to end with London in the Memorial Cup. Dodged a bullet for sure.....
I dont think Spits fan's were so much embarrassed, more disappointed.The concensus at the time of bid was that it didnt feel right being still sanctioned and all.And alot questioned the kind of talent that we thought we had or didnt have.We also questioned was the bid just a money grab or last hurrah for some of the owners.Either way the league had a last laugh on us since they didnt help with giving us a pick back, would have been a nice olive branch to the fan's and org. for helping them with the hosting that no other team bidded for.

Imo the lack of a party on here just shows for most the passion is at its lowest right now for the team or league.

If the Knights would have beaten Erie, I think they would have went all the way to the mem cup.So a big thx to the Otters for that.

Im just hoping that alot of out of town fan's show up in our city for this tourney, bc if all these events planned are just left to the locals, its going to be a bust.JMO.

Sec108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 09:21 AM
ohloutsider

So where do all the Spits players end up this fall? IMO this will be how it plays out.
OA's - moving on - Chatfield, Addison, DiGiacinto

Group 1 - ( players not coming back as OA"s)
Culina
Nattinen
Bracco
Knott

Group 2 - ( Players that will likely be OA's depending on which route they chose, possible CIS or Pro leagues)
MCEneny
Laishram
Luchuk

Group 3 - ( players that might be OA's if others move on)
Robertson
McCool - ( can't see it but you never know)

Group 4 - Day gets his own group as I'm not sure of his eligibility for AHL/NHL or as an OA or just a returning 19 year old. Day will move to AHL if eligible.

Group 5 - (Players who will likely return but may be moved.)
Stanley
Brown
Sergachev

Group 6 - ( players coming back that I believe will stay one or more years and will be moved Jan 2019)
DiPietro
Vilardi

Group 7 - ( returning players that will be our starting rebuild core)
Angle
Corcoran
Purboo
Nother
Boka

I think the last group will need some help

ohloutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:50 PM
stips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohloutsider View Post
So where do all the Spits players end up this fall? IMO this will be how it plays out.
OA's - moving on - Chatfield, Addison, DiGiacinto

Group 1 - ( players not coming back as OA"s)
Culina
Nattinen
Bracco
Knott

Group 2 - ( Players that will likely be OA's depending on which route they chose, possible CIS or Pro leagues)
MCEneny
Laishram
Luchuk

Group 3 - ( players that might be OA's if others move on)
Robertson
McCool - ( can't see it but you never know)

Group 4 - Day gets his own group as I'm not sure of his eligibility for AHL/NHL or as an OA or just a returning 19 year old. Day will move to AHL if eligible.

Group 5 - (Players who will likely return but may be moved.)
Stanley
Brown
Sergachev

Group 6 - ( players coming back that I believe will stay one or more years and will be moved Jan 2019)
DiPietro
Vilardi

Group 7 - ( returning players that will be our starting rebuild core)
Angle
Corcoran
Purboo
Nother
Boka

I think the last group will need some help
Scary!!!!!

Once again we have drafted tiny players. It killed us from 2012 until 2015, so you can see this will be a very slow rebuild, AGAIN!!!!!!

stips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Buttsy

Quote:
Imo the lack of a party on here just shows for most the passion is at its lowest right now for the team or league.
The whole post was well stated, I agree Windsor has a winning tradition over the past 10-15 years (minus the sanction years) and the league really slapped you all a good one. Not here to argue whether it was right or not but the league gave little thought when it brought the hammer down as to how it would impact the fans or the franchise. It was simply out to extract its pound of flesh. I would go as far to suggest in a lot of other OHL cities the team may have folded yet Windsor has hung in there. Hopefully better years ahead......

Old
04-22-2017, 01:53 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
The whole post was well stated, I agree Windsor has a winning tradition over the past 10-15 years (minus the sanction years) and the league really slapped you all a good one. Not here to argue whether it was right or not but the league gave little thought when it brought the hammer down as to how it would impact the fans or the franchise. It was simply out to extract its pound of flesh. I would go as far to suggest in a lot of other OHL cities the team may have folded yet Windsor has hung in there. Hopefully better years ahead......

When the league fines a franchise hundreds of thousands and the team continues to operate it does bring into question the validity of the CHL's claims of the repercussions of paying the players.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Buttsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
When the league fines a franchise hundreds of thousands and the team continues to operate it does bring into question the validity of the CHL's claims of the repercussions of paying the players.
Lol......break even at best?

Old
Yesterday, 08:28 AM
hockeylegend11

Spits rookie camp today
1-3 at the WFCU,though not in the main bowl.
Will be interesting to see of the 20 players drafted from the 2 recent drafts, arrive here,I am guessing 16-18,Spits drafted 4 American born players this season,and 2 of them both D are playing for the US Development Program, Webber and Fensone, the other 2 were forwards, Cameron Recchi,C/RW,son of former NHLer,Mark,and Center/RW, Mathew Crasa.Last year of the 12 picks Windsor drafted 4 US born guys,2 showed up Burns and Ferrandino,both were very impressive at camp,and Burns continued his fine play at main camp,while Ferrandino went on and still is playing in the USHL for Waterloo.Goalie Dylan St Cyr is with the US program while Drew Elder a forward played in the USHL with Bloomington.
Players that I am interested in seeing are, in no particular order,
Staios,Henault,Pizzutti,on the D, upfront, Andrews,D'Amico,Loon-Stewardson,Brimmer, Benwell,Crasa if he is here,and from last year,Bobby Burns,Zach Young and Michael Aloise.
Goalies Dylan St Cyr and Brock Baier won't be here, Baier just finished his season with Listowel on Friday,as they got knocked by London.
Baier had a great season,19 playoff games,a 1.67 average,13-6 record,3 shutouts,a .943 save per cent age, would not surprise me that he gets drafted, and the Spits will have 2 - 18 year old drafted goalies on their roster next season,he and Mike Dipietro.
That's it for now
Reports to follow.

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:11 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Spits rookie camp today
1-3 at the WFCU,though not in the main bowl.
Will be interesting to see of the 20 players drafted from the 2 recent drafts, arrive here,I am guessing 16-18,Spits drafted 4 American born players this season,and 2 of them both D are playing for the US Development Program, Webber and Fensone, the other 2 were forwards, Cameron Recchi,C/RW,son of former NHLer,Mark,and Center/RW, Mathew Crasa.Last year of the 12 picks Windsor drafted 4 US born guys,2 showed up Burns and Ferrandino,both were very impressive at camp,and Burns continued his fine play at main camp,while Ferrandino went on and still is playing in the USHL for Waterloo.Goalie Dylan St Cyr is with the US program while Drew Elder a forward played in the USHL with Bloomington.
Players that I am interested in seeing are, in no particular order,
Staios,Henault,Pizzutti,on the D, upfront, Andrews,D'Amico,Loon-Stewardson,Brimmer, Benwell,Crasa if he is here,and from last year,Bobby Burns,Zach Young and Michael Aloise.
Goalies Dylan St Cyr and Brock Baier won't be here, Baier just finished his season with Listowel on Friday,as they got knocked by London.
Baier had a great season,19 playoff games,a 1.67 average,13-6 record,3 shutouts,a .943 save per cent age, would not surprise me that he gets drafted, and the Spits will have 2 - 18 year old drafted goalies on their roster next season,he and Mike Dipietro.
That's it for now
Reports to follow.
Unfortunately a birthday party this afternoon so I have to miss the camp. Always like to see these camps. My hope is always to see the U.S. players attend. I always consider them to be a bonus if they show. Will be awaiting reports. One would expect that a number will show as I'm sure their agents know that spots will be available next year.
Out of curiosity, not knowing what US prospects are allowed to do, I'm thinking that the Spits will bring some in for a visit to see the Memorial Cup...

punch1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:15 AM
AttackSound

Memorial Cup Parking??

Heard through sources the $10.00 parking fee will be WFCU Centre during the tournament. As well as a shuttle service to be included.

As a fan coming down Owen Sound can any of this be confirmed on either the fee or shuttle and if so where would the shuttle be in relation to any hotels in the city???

Thanks

AttackSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Oldbarn Newhay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSound View Post
Memorial Cup Parking??

Heard through sources the $10.00 parking fee will be WFCU Centre during the tournament. As well as a shuttle service to be included.

As a fan coming down Owen Sound can any of this be confirmed on either the fee or shuttle and if so where would the shuttle be in relation to any hotels in the city???

Thanks
Yes, $10 for the overflow parking area will be charged. Do not believe a fee for shuttle's has been announced. Season shuttle fee was $3 for a round trip. Would not expect any regular WFCU parking to be available as VIP seats, CHL, and STH who had there seats moved will all hold parking passes. There are also restaurant's around the WFCU that will have shuttle's free of charge.

Oldbarn Newhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:33 AM
windsor7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackSound View Post
Memorial Cup Parking??

Thanks
I think it is 10 dollars parking everywhere except for the community rink parking. Big money grab. Disgusting. There will be shuttle rides from restaurants free I hope n I think busses charge 3 dollars.

windsor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:09 PM
SpItFiReZ

Obviously the prospect scrimmage is still going on but wondering who stood out? Any surprise arrivals? Any solid free agents? Was Fallowfield here?

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:11 PM
tomschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Obviously the prospect scrimmage is still going on but wondering who stood out? Any surprise arrivals? Any solid free agents? Was Fallowfield here?
Fallowfield did attend.

tomschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:13 PM
OHLTG

Few thoughts on the camp...

- Only two goaltenders - Patton and O'Leary. Baier was scheduled to but he's still playing.

- Benwell, Ferrandino, and Thomas Stevenson all still playing with clubs so did not attend. Declan Graham and Kory Silverio were not in attendance due to injury.

- They played two 25-min 5-on-5, then one 45-min 3-on-3 (the latter not expected). The 5-on-5 was very defensive. Both Patton and O'Leary played well. The 3-on-3 was far more offensive. I think fatigue played a part in that.

- Fallowfield was out there and looked good. He looks bigger than his listed 6'2 190. Had some poise, good shot. I could see him making the club in the fall, esp. with the turnover.

- Staios played well. You can tell he's a thinker; would jump into the rush at times, but played back as well. Kind of reminded me of Auger. Not as fleet-of-foot but that "always looking around" approach.

- Aloise, 9th round 2000, was into the thick of it all day. Scoring chances, hitting, and if there was something going on, he was there.

- Austin Brimmer was another one who looks bigger than he's listed. Good size, used his frame well. Caught my attention.

- Quintin Loon-Stewardson was quiet at first but then got into it. Kind of felt like he was getting the feel for the game but then felt more comfortable. Used his body a lot. Bit of an agitator. I could see him getting a look in camp.

- I think it was Matthew O'Brien (from the U18 draft) that had a few goals.

- Local kid Gianluca Pizzuto (U18) looked good. He's another one I could see getting a solid look in camp. He's not huge but he's solid on his skates. Knows what to do.

- FA Joey Trifone (00 from WI) had great size (6'4 190) and wasn't afraid to use it. Nice shot, too. D. I'd like to see him in camp.

- Erik Yelle was another one who was solid on his skates. Used his big frame well.

Old
Yesterday, 04:27 PM
hockeylegend11

Agree with pretty much everything OHLTG,has written here to add some more views/ info.
Regarding Fallowfield, everything is settled he is a Spitfire,and yes he was very impressive this afternoon,can see he has higher level experience and I expect him to be in the thick of things regardless who returns or not.
31 players participated today,no current Spitfires,unlike other years,the team was given the weekend off,so youngsters drafted last year, Corcoran,Angle, Playfair did not take part.In fact only 4 players from last year's draft skated today,Bowler,Burns, Young and Aloise.Others away included,St Cyr,Elser,Baier,Farrandino,Silverio.
17 out of the 20 players drafted by Windsor this were here today.2 American D who are headed to US Development team,Webber and Fensone, along with 17 year old forward Evan Benwell who still is playing were not here.
There were 7 free agents here today,2 of them caught my eye,OHLTG,touched on one them,Dman Joey Tritone,a late 2000 born-Nov from Wisconsin was very physical,mobile,,with a good shot, definitely worth a look at main camp,and 99 born forward Davis Teigen-Katsumi from Tier 2 from Pickering,he scored a goal in the 2-0 scrimmage as well as goal in the 3 on the 3 session,was around the puck a good part of the day, another guy who deserves a look at main camp.The other 5 free agents worked hard but did not stand out for me.
Other players that I noticed or can can comment on,Bobby Burns who played D last year,played forward today, apparently did so the last part of this past season and did well, today he looked very good on the wing,was very physical, around the puck,made smart plays,he is now 6'2" or a shade under and nearly 220 Lbs,a handful to deal with ,would be shocked if he doesn't make the team this coming year.Another forward who caught my eye was the last player chosen by Windsor in the extra draft,winger Michael O'Brien,nice size,good scoring touch, physical,good hockey sense,a late born 99,-Nov,
I do think he has a chance come this fall.
16 year old dmen,Nathan Staios,Louka Henault,Erik Yelle,all had good days in my view,while 16 year old forwards, Daniel D'Amico,Markus Paterson, Jordan Frasca, Austin Brimmer,Mathew,Crasa,showed well today.Others such as Cameron Recchi and Mike Andrews had their moments but were not quite as good as the others listed above.
I agree about Michael Aloise,he was a presence,scored a goal in the 3 on 3, clearly his year at Ridley College helped him this past year.
Another forward who looked good all day was late 99 born forward William Sirman, drafted 2 years, showed good skill, hustle, physicality,could be one to watch in the fall.
The 2 goalies played very well especially in the 2-0 scrimmage,Lukas Patton and late 2000 born goalie ,Patrick O' Leary,who got the shutout in the 2-0 scrimmage really played well on this day,too bad for him,that Dipietro and Baier are ahead of him on the goalie depth chart.
All in all a pretty good

day of action,in fact one father of a
player told me,that London's camp last weekend was far less physical then the one today in Windsor, most everybody was finishing their checks,and their were some good ones today.
I wish Windsor had a 2 day camp like some of the others,to get maybe a more fair look at all the participants.

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:07 PM
windsor7

While there was hitting it was a glorified scrimmage tday.

windsor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:14 PM
OHLTG

Good call on Burns, Legend. I noticed him playing up front and I told my buddy that it might help Burns this year. He looked good; physical, confident, but not over-doing it. Burns would be a nice addition.

One thing I have to add - before the scrimmages even started, several of the players were standing waiting for the ice to be cleared. A bunch of them started talked to little kids, who seemed in awe of these players. Nerves and all, they took the time to talk to the kids, high five them, and it was impressive. Lucas Patton was at the forefront of it.