HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL divisional playoff format is drawing criticism

Old
03-31-2017, 11:06 AM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Wasn't it first floated in early 2012? NHLPA rejected it as they wanted to use it as a bargaining chip with the CBA. Seem to recall that, but I could be mixing it up with something else.
http://www.nhlpa.com/news/statement-...ed-realignment

Quote:
The League set a deadline of January 6, 2012 for the NHLPA to provide its consent to the NHL’s proposal.** Players’ questions about travel and concerns about the playoff format have not been sufficiently addressed; as such, we are not able to provide our consent to the proposal at this time. *We continue to be ready and willing to have further discussions should the League be willing to do so.”
Some valid concerns, but I'm sure it was looked at as a bargaining chip too.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:49 AM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

I think once the NHL reaches 32 teams if they go the 8 divisions of 4 route it won't be as much of an issue.

Play the 28 teams outside your division x2. 56 games leaving 24 games against divisional opponents 3x8. Go to an 80 game schedule.

Top three teams in the division get into the playoffs, 2-3 seed play best of 3, winner plays division winner in a best of 5. Playoff division winners from the west and east are reseeded for the quarterfinals based on regular season points. So if say Edmonton finished second in it's division with 101 points and faced Nashville in the quarter finals but won their division with 99 points, Edmonton would get home ice advantage.

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:57 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
I think once the NHL reaches 32 teams if they go the 8 divisions of 4 route it won't be as much of an issue.

Play the 28 teams outside your division x2. 56 games leaving 24 games against divisional opponents 3x8. Go to an 80 game schedule.

Top three teams in the division get into the playoffs, 2-3 seed play best of 3, winner plays division winner in a best of 5. Playoff division winners from the west and east are reseeded for the quarterfinals based on regular season points. So if say Edmonton finished second in it's division with 101 points and faced Nashville in the quarter finals but won their division with 99 points, Edmonton would get home ice advantage.
I think they will do something like this. But, it will be 4 conferences, 2 divisions of 4 per conference. Teams outside of your conference twice (48 games), then 34 within your conference. Probably a breakdown of 4 times against the other division (16 games) and 6 games in your division (18 games). Two division winners plus next 2 point totals per conference. Re-seed in 3rd round.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

Neither will happen. They'll go to 4 divisions of 8, and there is no chance they're taking games off the schedule. More likely to add.

4 games vs intra-division - 28 games
3 games against the other division in your conference - 24 games
2 games against the other conference - 32 games

84 games. Nice even number.

Playoff format is overblown. This is a business, and rivalries bring bigger business. More important to try and get hot rivalries than a fairer system given the parity that already exists.

Old
03-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:

3 games against division is terrible. Who the hell wants to see boring ass, meaningless Western conference games more than own division? Only geeks obsessed with this ****, not fans who pay more money to see Montreal vs Boston/Toronto than vs the Wild/Ducks. Owners of teams like Montreal/Toronto/NYR who charge big premiums for prominent rivals (mostly in division) won't go for this. There

If you only play the other conference once per year, as it should be, the math actually works great. 16 other conference games, 3 x 8 other division, then 7 x 6 own division.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:45 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They'll go to 4 divisions of 8
4 divisions of 8, or 8 divisions of 4, either way will be fight. Sake of argument, the 31 teams stay where they are right now, and either Seattle or Quebec gets a team. Quebec would be the biggest battle, as I'm sure they want to be with Montreal, and who do you kick out of that 8 team group? Can't be just 1 of Florida or Tampa. With Seattle, who gets pushed out, Vegas or Arizona? Neither make too much sense. Do Central teams want to make those extra trips consistently? Tough to split up Edmonton and Calgary. Could move the Oilers and Flames together to the Central, but the Van/Edm/Cal triangle is a little like Pit/Phi, in that it would difficult to split that up. Det/Chi got split up, so anything can happen, but that was Detroit voluntarily making their own situation better, even if it came at a cost.

Something will have to give either way though, so looking forward to the chaos of a 32nd team.

Old
03-31-2017, 09:41 PM
The Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
4 divisions of 8, or 8 divisions of 4, either way will be fight. Sake of argument, the 31 teams stay where they are right now, and either Seattle or Quebec gets a team. Quebec would be the biggest battle, as I'm sure they want to be with Montreal, and who do you kick out of that 8 team group? Can't be just 1 of Florida or Tampa. With Seattle, who gets pushed out, Vegas or Arizona? Neither make too much sense. Do Central teams want to make those extra trips consistently? Tough to split up Edmonton and Calgary. Could move the Oilers and Flames together to the Central, but the Van/Edm/Cal triangle is a little like Pit/Phi, in that it would difficult to split that up. Det/Chi got split up, so anything can happen, but that was Detroit voluntarily making their own situation better, even if it came at a cost.

Something will have to give either way though, so looking forward to the chaos of a 32nd team.
If Quebec is in, and it's a 32 team league with four 8 team divisions, why not a Canadian, and three American divisions....East, Central, West for example. The American and Canadian television networks would probably be quite fond of such an idea.

The Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
I believe the first public one was:

-NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pit, Was, Car
-Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, TB, Fla
-Det, Clb, Chi, Nas, StL, Min, Dal, Wpg
-Van, Edm, Cal, SJ, LA, Ana, Ari, Col

It was home and home against teams outside of your division. That satisfied the Wings and Jackets complaint about having to go to the west coast more often in the regular season than other ETZ teams. The playoffs were top 4 in each, 1-4, which satisfied the Wings and Jackets complaint about potentially having to go too far west too often in the playoffs. I don't believe they figured out what to do for the 3rd round, as things never got that far. One idea was to re-seed the 4 teams, so that it wasn't always one of the central teams(i.e. Detroit or Columbus) potentially having to go to the west coast no matter what.

It was much simpler. It had its issues, but Det/Chi and Det/StL weren't broken up, and there was no convoluted wild card.
This is the ideal system to me, especially once we hit 32 teams.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 07:42 PM
USAUSA1

None of that really matters

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:50 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

If you think the divisional system is bad, just think, we can get robbed of an Edmonton-Calgary opening series because of the additional crossover. The dumbest thing they did with the system is have a crossover in the western conference.

Ok I get there are two wildcard spots and that's fine, but if they don't come from the same division, they should stay in their division's playoffs.

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:23 PM
EXTRAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Sooban View Post
What if the 1st place team was allowed to pick their matchup (within conference) for the first round, followed by the 2nd place team and so on and so on? I think that'd be interesting and would reward teams with the ability make a strategic decision.
I actually love this idea. It would make the regular season a lot more important. Teams would be trying hard to find who they match up well against.

EXTRAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 02:23 AM
xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
When will people get over this idea of what is "fair". They are not worried about being "fair". It is a business. How does 6 divisions "make sure" that Pittsburgh and Washington meet in the ECF? Are they going to be given byes? Are the refs going to be told to keep the Penguins and Caps on the PP during the first 2 rounds? The only time they did play under the 6-division system was in the 2nd round. So, what exactly is 6 divisions going to "make sure"?
Obviously I meant THIS SEASON, not always. This season they would be ranked 1st and 2nd if there was six divisions. Which means, they can not play each other earlier than in the ECF.

xxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 02:49 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
If Quebec is in, and it's a 32 team league with four 8 team divisions, why not a Canadian, and three American divisions....East, Central, West for example. The American and Canadian television networks would probably be quite fond of such an idea.
Plenty of fun ideas out there, and an all Canadian division/conference is always one of them. You can decrease the issue somewhat with scheduling, but that's 4 time zones and a couple thousand miles in one group. There's a reason the Leafs left the western conference once already, and I imagine the Habs would have the same issues, and those two are major money makers. Then you'd have to have Minnesota and Dallas with the CA teams, and the Stars already didn't like that once, and tough to think the Wild would be on board.

Quote:
If you think the divisional system is bad, just think, we can get robbed of an Edmonton-Calgary opening series because of the additional crossover. The dumbest thing they did with the system is have a crossover in the western conference.

Ok I get there are two wildcard spots and that's fine, but if they don't come from the same division, they should stay in their division's playoffs.
It's the reason Detroit and Columbus ended up in the East.

Old
04-02-2017, 03:13 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Obviously I meant THIS SEASON, not always. This season they would be ranked 1st and 2nd if there was six divisions. Which means, they can not play each other earlier than in the ECF.
Which means they may never play at all, again. As I have said, the ECF was 1st seed vs 2nd seed ONCE from 1994-2013. Would you rather see them play in the 2nd round or not at all? What do you think the league wants?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 04:49 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Personally, I'd rather see the Canadian teams spread across the divisions so that all the teams could make the playoffs.

And if we assume divisional playoffs with no crossovers, you would only get two series with Canadian teams in the first round, one in the division finals, one in the conference final, and possibly none in the SCF. So, there would be four maybe five series featuring a Canadian team. And you would never have a SCF with two Canadian teams.

Whereas in the current setup with crossovers and without Quebec, you could get as many as seven series with a Canadian team in round one alone. Which do you think Canadian fans and broadcasters would prefer? And this doesn't even get into more games in inconvenient time zone issues.

But American TV might love it, they could avoid the first round Canadian series altogether.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 12:29 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Personally, I'd rather see the Canadian teams spread across the divisions so that all the teams could make the playoffs.

And if we assume divisional playoffs with no crossovers, you would only get two series with Canadian teams in the first round, one in the division finals, one in the conference final, and possibly none in the SCF. So, there would be four maybe five series featuring a Canadian team. And you would never have a SCF with two Canadian teams.

Whereas in the current setup with crossovers and without Quebec, you could get as many as seven series with a Canadian team in round one alone. Which do you think Canadian fans and broadcasters would prefer? And this doesn't even get into more games in inconvenient time zone issues.

But American TV might love it, they could avoid the first round Canadian series altogether.
In other words, since Canadian broadcasters are locked for another 10 years and American broadcasters are looking at an upcoming renewal, there still might be a chance for Quebec...

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:57 PM
USAUSA1

Bump

Who complaining now? No easy game.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 01:25 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
This is the ideal system to me, especially once we hit 32 teams.
Once we get to 32 teams I might do 8 divisions with 4 teams, top 2 teams make the playoffs.

Division 3(teams) X 8(games) = 24
Other divisions 28(teams) X 2 games = 56

Once you get past the first round, you basically only count the last 2 games you played against your division opponent(1 home game each) and reseat the final 8 teams. I do this because then nobody can complaint he only reason why Team X has alot of points is because they are in a weak division so why do they get home ice advantage

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Jonas1235

this year you can make a case for all 16 teams to win the cup. So the seeding complaint is kind of dumb.

is there a team that won the cup who played 3 dog teams?

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 08:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Bump

Who complaining now? No easy game.
As usual, the idea that playoff outcomes are obvious and easily predictable went right out the window as soon as they started playing the games.

Wonder if Pittsburgh regrets having to play Columbus now? If only they could have seized the #1 and played Toronto!

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 08:38 AM
BMOK33

You're never seeing a best of 3 or 5 series. The money is too important these days, they aren't going backwards

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
You're never seeing a best of 3 or 5 series. The money is too important these days, they aren't going backwards
I'd expect playoffs to expand shortly. I assume a wildcard game is coming within the next 5 years.

I remember reading a single home playoff game is worth 1 million in profit to a team.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 01:57 AM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
I'd expect playoffs to expand shortly. I assume a wildcard game is coming within the next 5 years.

I remember reading a single home playoff game is worth 1 million in profit to a team.
God let's hope not 16 teams in the postseason is enough.

Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:46 AM
NickWIHockey

playoff expansion is likely. I'd rather it be a short series than a 1 game thing. i would also like if the NHL added a tiebreaker game if 2 teams are tied in points at the end of the season. WHA had that, and it works. So this year Toronto and Boston would have played a tiebreaker for the 3 seed in the Atlantic, with the loser getting a wildcard.

NickWIHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWIHockey View Post
playoff expansion is likely. I'd rather it be a short series than a 1 game thing. i would also like if the NHL added a tiebreaker game if 2 teams are tied in points at the end of the season. WHA had that, and it works. So this year Toronto and Boston would have played a tiebreaker for the 3 seed in the Atlantic, with the loser getting a wildcard.
I understand that you made a typo and meant to say "unlikely". Obviously we already know that the players aren't salaried for the playoffs and already play 2 full seasons to get to the cup. The NHLPA is not accepting an extra play-in round and it's not worth the owners' while to press the issue.

GordonGecko is online now   Reply With Quote