HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Western Conference is now truly up for grabs

Old
04-21-2017, 06:17 AM
linusandvarlamov
GO AVS GO !

vCash: 1470
If the Sharks are eliminated in the 1st round, things are going to be very interesting indeed !

On a personal level, i'd like the Ducks to get eliminated in the 2nd round so we could really have some renewal in the West.

The Ducks have made it to the conference finals in 14/15.

linusandvarlamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:20 AM
KingWantsCup
#FightLikeHell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Preds to lose at this point. They crushed the Hawks.
Remember before the playoffs started EA's sim picked the Preds to go to the final and the whole world roasted them lol.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Still Mighty
Milk-Steak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor McDaigle View Post
Nashville's to lose imo
Seconded. I don't think anyone compares to them. They're beatable but to me they are the clear favorite.

Still Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:15 AM
DeYarmond Edison
drinkingpinkrabbits

vCash: 400
I never really saw a clear-cut favorite in the first place.

DeYarmond Edison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:52 AM
xxreact9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Nashville really dislikes Anaheim! The Preds seem to think that the Ducks have several goons. If you think that you saw some real effort against Chicago, you will see more against Anaheim, if both teams get that far.

Hate, if properly channeled, is an awesome weapon. The Preds hate the Ducks and would love to knock them out of the playoffs again.
When two teams face back to back years, the team that lost the previous year wins a large portion of the time, especially if they're flat out more talented like Anaheim is.

Nashville being the favorites is a JOKE and represents yet another large misconception in the hockey world.

If a 2 seed sweeps, and an 8 seed sweeps, the 2 seed is the clear favorite because they both swept but the 2 seed was a much better team for an 82 game sample size instead of 4.

It really doesn't matter "who swept a better team".. there's really no point in comparing that. Does Nashville sweep the flames then if they played? Probably not.

The sweep itself is an anomaly and likely happens only 1 out of 100 simulations of the Hawks Preds series (our universe presents us with just 1 simulation), so you take the result "both Nashville and Anaheim won the series in dominating fashion" and pair it with which team is actually better at hockey, proven by 82+ game sample size, the Anaheim Ducks.

xxreact9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Still Mighty
Milk-Steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxreact9 View Post
When two teams face back to back years, the team that lost the previous year wins a large portion of the time, especially if they're flat out more talented like Anaheim is.

Nashville being the favorites is a JOKE and represents yet another large misconception in the hockey world.

If a 2 seed sweeps, and an 8 seed sweeps, the 2 seed is the clear favorite because they both swept but the 2 seed was a much better team for an 82 game sample size instead of 4.

It really doesn't matter "who swept a better team".. there's really no point in comparing that. Does Nashville sweep the flames then if they played? Probably not.

The sweep itself is an anomaly and likely happens only 1 out of 100 simulations of the Hawks Preds series (our universe presents us with just 1 simulation), so you take the result "both Nashville and Anaheim won the series in dominating fashion" and pair it with which team is actually better at hockey, proven by 82+ game sample size, the Anaheim Ducks.
Nashville isn't the favorite solely because the swept the 1 seed. They're the favorite because they're a damn good team. They're deep. They're goalie is hot. And they're playing well right now.

Anaheim is not playing well right now. Injuries are a legitimate excuse maybe, but it doesn't change the fact they really, really need to step up next round.

Still Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
kk87

I've had Pens over Preds since the beginning of the season and I'm standing by it now

kk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

As of right now, Nashville is the clear favorite

Kalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Morgs
#16 #29 #34 #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
NSH/SJS in the West finals with the Preds avenging last season hopefully.
https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/brackets/575368

Gotchu fam.

Morgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
GoldenSeal

vCash: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustman View Post
Love how the stastny-less blues get overlooked.

Ducks and Preds seem like the top teams to me... but blues-preds would be a hell of a series, so we will see what happens.

I think it will come down to the matchups in the west... I can see the sharks beating the ducks, but i see the ducks whomping the oilers. The Preds vs Wild/Blues would be close no matter what, but of those three teams going up against the Sandmontheim Shoicks, I see a bunch of different outcomes. West beats east this year, in my crystal ball at least.
Throw in no Fabbri, no 2016 Brouwer and a godlike Jake Allen in net.

If the Blues can ignite their offense, no one's stopping them.

As for the Ducks, don't tell me people are using Calgary as a gauge as to how good they are. Any team in the West could have just as easily bounced them out of the playoffs.

GoldenSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Johnny Tomala

Anaheim Ducks will win Western Conference.

Johnny Tomala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeshane View Post
lol no, Anaheim is not losing to anyone in the west.

Nashville - Rinne is no good and they lack the defensive depth of Anaheim. The Ducks already exposed one pretend goalie, they'll do it again to Rinne.

St Louis - Next to no offense & weak goalie, they aren't going anywhere.

Minnesota - regular season dandy, playoff dud. Golfing soon.

San Jose - Average playoff team using their experience advantage over the Oilers. Not only are the Sharks worse than the Ducks they don't match up well with them.

Oilers - Lack the depth and experience, the Ducks will rattle their cage and get under their skin.

The Ducks are a true and deep force that are strong in all positions. These other teams don't present any sort of serious threat to them really.
Yet, the Oilers held their own against Anaheim all year (3-2 Oilers win Regular Season Series), so I don't think you have all your facts straight. Edmonton is a much tougher team than the Flames. If they win, it'll be in Game 6 or 7. No way Anaheim sweeps the Oilers in 4-5 games.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Aceboogie

Its the Preds to lose. great D, Rinne is on fire, forwards are rolling

Aceboogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:31 AM
preds1
Weber's Bomb

vCash: 81
I think it's anyone's now. All fairly even among the remaining teams.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:43 AM
SaltNPeca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeShaft View Post
Now that the Hawks are out, I'm pulling for Edmonton. I just want to watch the world burn...
EDM vs. NSH Western final with NSH making it.

I feel like the Oilers have what it takes to beat SJS and ANA based on the season series and late season games against those teams.

NSH with Pekka Rinne are looking siiick at the moment. Great fan support too!

SaltNPeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Mcikinzom

The Sharks are a slower and bigger team. The problem? the Oilers have more size, more skill and are faster. They match up well against the Sharks and its a nightmare scenario for them to end up playing them in the first round. The Ducks have the size and the fast mobile defenseman that could run the show in the Oilers own end. Its a bad matchup for Edmonton, they can handle a cycling team like the Sharks but speed is their enemy. Their defense is mobile enough but not skilled enough to handle the Ducks who are loaded with talented Puck movers. Ducks in 5 easily.

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Cruel11
Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Let's see the ducks beat an actual good team in the playoffs before anointing them. They can beat the Winnipegs and calgarys of the world but that doesn't mean much.
I agree, there last couple of playoff opponents have been weak.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:23 PM
supeg93*

Quote:

If all things are equal it is 1/16 for a sweep. 2x2x2x2

Give a little edge to Chicago and its prob 1/20-25 not close to 1/100.

Nashville DOMINATED the Blackhawks (They scored 3 goals in 4 games).
Ducks got outplayed by the Flames and won what 4, 1 goal games? Won by getting fluke bounces and ref help to be honest.

Flames were also by far the worst team in the Playoffs.

Also, I doubt the Ducks beat either of Oilers or Sharks based off there previous series play.

supeg93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcikinzom View Post
The Sharks are a slower and bigger team. The problem? the Oilers have more size, more skill and are faster. They match up well against the Sharks and its a nightmare scenario for them to end up playing them in the first round. The Ducks have the size and the fast mobile defenseman that could run the show in the Oilers own end. Its a bad matchup for Edmonton, they can handle a cycling team like the Sharks but speed is their enemy. Their defense is mobile enough but not skilled enough to handle the Ducks who are loaded with talented Puck movers. Ducks in 5 easily.
Fowler and Vatanen have been injured. Who knows how well they will be when they come back. Don't see the Ducks winning so easily in the 2nd round if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireforcup View Post
If all things are equal it is 1/16 for a sweep. 2x2x2x2

Give a little edge to Chicago and its prob 1/20-25 not close to 1/100.

Nashville DOMINATED the Blackhawks (They scored 3 goals in 4 games).
Ducks got outplayed by the Flames and won what 4, 1 goal games? Won by getting fluke bounces and ref help to be honest.

Flames were also by far the worst team in the Playoffs.

Also, I doubt the Ducks beat either of Oilers or Sharks based off there previous series play.
You mean like having a game with the Ducks getting no power plays? Flames got some help from the refs. Let's not act like the refs favored the Ducks.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:

Let's not act like the Predators are some random 8th seed team, if our overtime wasn't god awful and Forsberg scores on half the shots that hit the post from Oct-Dec we're suddenly right behind the hawks, Hell we were fighting with the Blues for their spot for the majority of March and April.

If Neal hadn't gotten slashed on the wrists earlier in the year we probably have three 30 goal scorers this season. Nashville was predicted to go far in the pre-season and haven't played to their potential as a whole until recently, this is still a team with 12 10 goal scorers, two more than mighty Pittsburgh and 5 more than the team we just beat. We have great depth, a goalie that's hot and a great attitude that could take us pretty far. I wouldn't say that it's a joke if someone had Nashville as favorites from the west.

Last edited by Soundgarden: 04-21-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Tebowz

vCash: 155
i still got san jose coming out of the west. i think nashville is the only team that can match them.

Tebowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
JetBlue420

As i was watching Nashville Chicago the other night in Nashville, i got the sense that the Preds are this years cinderella story... I don't know why, maybe it was the electric atmosphere there that you could experience sitting on the coach at home but... it felt like something special was happening there.

I think Nashville will represent the West this year... I'm not gonna say the win the Stanley Cup tho cuz most times in Cinderella stories like This, That team doesn't win but as a Jets fan, as a hockey fan in General... I'm on the Nashville Bandwagon, just get the sense that they are the team to beat this year in the WEST.

I guess, perhaps the only issue might be they are probably gonna have an extended break here and sometimes that is good but sometimes it's not.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Mcikinzom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowz View Post
i still got san jose coming out of the west. i think nashville is the only team that can match them.
I would say there is no issue with the Sharks coming out of the West except they have to win 2 games, and one in a hostile environment where the Oilers have an excellent home record. If they win they will be beat up and tired and have to face a fresh team on the other side in Anaheim.

Not great odds.

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:32 PM
supeg93*

A good question would be what are the Refs going to do if it is a Sharks and Ducks series.

Because of there obvious bias to California teams they will be confused. Will there be no penalties, or will they call everything?

supeg93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireforcup View Post
A good question would be what are the Refs going to do if it is a Sharks and Ducks series.

Because of there obvious bias to California teams they will be confused. Will there be no penalties, or will they call everything?
The bias is your posting. Ducks had a game without a power play while the Flames had 5. If refs have bias in favor of California teams that never would of happend.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote