Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

What to do with Marko Dano?

Old
04-15-2017, 08:04 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
At the end of the day Maurice's insistence on using Thorburn as an every day player and not situationally set Petan, Dano, and this organization back. At some point we have to start treating out 4th (or 3b) line with some respect. Most teams do not have the Jets forward depth and we are squandering a very real opportunity to construct three scoring lines.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 11:42 AM
RRenegade

vCash: 500
I believe Chevy may have already agreed to trade Dano & Petan to Vegas for essentially extra protection spots. PoMo had no interest in playing & developing them since there was no future for them with the Jets. Petan should be able to do great in Vegas where he will have an offensive role and won't likely have to worry about the defensive side of the game as much. We'll always have that one game where Petan played with Wheeler & Sheif and looked awesome!

RRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 11:54 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRenegade View Post
I believe Chevy may have already agreed to trade Dano & Petan to Vegas for essentially extra protection spots. PoMo had no interest in playing & developing them since there was no future for them with the Jets. Petan should be able to do great in Vegas where he will have an offensive role and won't likely have to worry about the defensive side of the game as much. We'll always have that one game where Petan played with Wheeler & Sheif and looked awesome!
They dominated...

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

That would be absolutely terrifying if that's what we did. Chevy would IMO not be able to rescue himself In my eyes ever again shirt of winning a cup and even then I'd be claiming the team won despite him.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Imcanadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
shirt of winning a cup and even then I'd be claiming the team won despite him.
Even if the jets won a cup with the team Chevy assembled you would say Chevy was useless because you don't like the moves he made to assemble a cup winning team.

Got to love that logic.

Imcanadianeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 04:39 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcanadianeh View Post
Even if the jets won a cup with the team Chevy assembled you would say Chevy was useless because you don't like the moves he made to assemble a cup winning team.

Got to love that logic.
The logic that decisions are not as optimized as possible unless they are actually optimal I believe to be completely fine.

Also, everything is relative:
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Last edited by garret9: 04-15-2017 at 04:51 PM.
garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Whileee

Quote:
That would be absolutely terrifying if that's what we did. Chevy would IMO not be able to rescue himself In my eyes ever again shirt of winning a cup and even then I'd be claiming the team won despite him.
I'd be after Maurice, too. I think Maurice is largely responsible for the relegation of Petan and Dano to minimal roles, and I think Maurice has an influence on Chevy's roster decisions, etc.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 04:55 PM
surixon

Quote:
What move are you arguing against? The Petan/Dano one?

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:41 PM
JetsUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I'd be after Maurice, too. I think Maurice is largely responsible for the relegation of Petan and Dano to minimal roles, and I think Maurice has an influence on Chevy's roster decisions, etc.
I agree that this is likely.

I don't think there are any one-eyed men in this Jets org, unfortunately. They see and fail to see as a unit.

JetsUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
The problem for Dano is that he would have a tough time making the Jets top 9. He'd have to beat out Connor and Armia. I think Connor is poised to become a top end winger, and Armia has been very effective, including on the PK.

So, unless the Jets move Armia or Perreault, it's hard to see Dano fitting in the top 9.

I'd be happy with him on the 4th line with some combination of Copp, Petan and Matthias.

However, I also think that Roslovic will be pushing for a roster spot sooner than we might think. I really like his game.
I disagree. It depends how Armia performs with more skilled linemates. MLA was an outstanding 4th line - played as a 3rd line.

Armia is the only one of the 3 that might belong on a scoring/skilled 3rd line but we don't know until it is tried. IMO, he was also primarily responsible for their success in the role they were given.

Try Connor - Petan - Armia or something similar for a while to see how well Armia fits in that role. Then put Dano in there and see what he can do. Loser goes to 4RW with Matthias and Lowry.

Lowry can keep his PP role as long as he continues to be effective. That would be a very good 4th line that could easily handle 9-10 min/gm at ES. With special teams time they would all get 12-13 min TOI. At that their individual scoring numbers would stay about the same as they were this year.

That 3rd line though would certainly outscore the 3rd line we had this year.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
By your standard, every team that's won the Stanley Cup has done so despite their management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
The logic that decisions are not as optimized as possible unless they are actually optimal I believe to be completely fine.

Also, everything is relative:
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
In the land of the blind are those who can't see worthy of criticism?

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:40 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

Trade Petan for something good and put Dano on the 4th line.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
What move are you arguing against? The Petan/Dano one?
Yes.

No potential roster player we would have to give up is worth petan and dano. You can't "protect extra spots" that logic doesn't shake out, Vegas can only take one player.

Hypothetically then your options are losing ONE of Lowry, dano, Armia and Copp, or one of Perraults, dano, Armia, Copp.

The difference between dano and Lowry in value should not be s prospect like petan, which is what this boils down to. Petan plus any player on that list is more valuable then the best player on the list, save Perreault

And since your allowed to protect one anyway, it becomes the discussion of Lowry armia or copp vs dano and petan. That's bad value to me. Real bad.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:32 PM
surixon

Quote:
Yes.

No potential roster player we would have to give up is worth petan and dano. You can't "protect extra spots" that logic doesn't shake out, Vegas can only take one player.

Hypothetically then your options are losing ONE of Lowry, dano, Armia and Copp, or one of Perraults, dano, Armia, Copp.

The difference between dano and Lowry in value should not be s prospect like petan, which is what this boils down to. Petan plus any player on that list is more valuable then the best player on the list, save Perreault
Gotcha. I would definitely agree. I only support moving Petan to Vegas if something like a goalie or a 2nd pairing dmen is coming back. Say Petan and a third for Raanta and the agreement Vegas takes Dano or something.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
By your standard, every team that's won the Stanley Cup has done so despite their management.

In the land of the blind are those who can't see worthy of criticism?
I didn't put any standard in place. I'm merely stating that rather colloquially that that's terribad trade.

Chevy's made enough odd value decisions for me that yes, he would be below my threshold of acceptability even if we won the cup (unless more good value moves were made of course)

I don't believe Lowry to be worth more then dano, but even if you did, do you really feel he's worth a petan level prospect more? That seems wild to me.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Gotcha. I would definitely agree. I only support moving Petan to Vegas if something like a goalie or a 2nd pairing dmen is coming back. Say Petan and a third for Raanta and the agreement Vegas takes Dano or something.
Yah that's understandable, but the way it was phrased we had to give up petan to give to ensure they'd take dano (who if I were them I'd probably be taking anyway)

Old
04-20-2017, 10:07 PM
Whileee

I think that if the Jets give up a prospect like Petan, or even a 2nd round pick, I hope it's to get Vegas to take Matthias, not Dano or Copp. If the Jets can't get Enstrom to waive I think they have to go 4-4-1, in which case I think they'll likely just have to grimace and take it as Vegas takes a valuable forward.

If they can go 7-3-1, I think the Jets should trade a forward to a team that has protection space, even though you might not get a great return. It's better than nothing. The other option is to offer Vegas a 2nd round pick to take Matthias. If they don't agree, trade Dano or Copp for a 2nd or exempt prospect to a team that has space.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:09 PM
surixon

Quote:
Yah that's understandable, but the way it was phrased we had to give up petan to give to ensure they'd take dano (who if I were them I'd probably be taking anyway)
I'm really not that concerned with which forward we lose (I'd protect Perrault) if we go 4-4-1. What are your thoughts on leaving Myers unprotected and going 7-3-1 and potentially losing him over Dano or Copp?

Old
04-20-2017, 10:39 PM
csk

Quote:
I'm really not that concerned with which forward we lose (I'd protect Perrault) if we go 4-4-1. What are your thoughts on leaving Myers unprotected and going 7-3-1 and potentially losing him over Dano or Copp?
I doubt we'll resign Myers at the end of this contract anyway, and we have a surplus of RD. I can't think of any convincing reason not to expose him

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:43 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
I doubt we'll resign Myers at the end of this contract anyway, and we have a surplus of RD. I can't think of any convincing reason not to expose him
Same here, unless they feel that they will be able to pump and dump him next season for more than losing a Petan or something else to get Vegas to take X player. I also think they want Poolman to play and he's a natural RD.

Old
04-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
He has more value, in my view. Even if he doesn't fit in long term plans, his trade value will be high. You just don't let big, scoring RD go for nothing.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
He has more value, in my view. Even if he doesn't fit in long term plans, his trade value will be high. You just don't let big, scoring RD go for nothing.
This would be the only thing. Percoeved value can be real value. How much is Meyers worth in trade to another gm? Is it more then any of the other options? If so I'd be more inclined to try to move him.

On the other hand, I'd be completely fine losing him to exp as wel.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:58 AM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
He should be RFA after this season. But his results are not so good in the past 2 seasons.
So, is a new contract in play? Or would it be better for him to go to Europe for 2 or 3 seasons and they come back?
Someone needs to eat the otherwise overpriced popcorn in the press box.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
I didn't put any standard in place. I'm merely stating that rather colloquially that that's terribad trade.

Chevy's made enough odd value decisions for me that yes, he would be below my threshold of acceptability even if we won the cup (unless more good value moves were made of course)

I don't believe Lowry to be worth more then dano, but even if you did, do you really feel he's worth a petan level prospect more? That seems wild to me.
I actually don't think Lowry is worth Daňo and Petan and if there's some truth to the conspiracy theory I would want a defenceman coming back.

My point was more questioning whether GMs should be held to a standard that no GM has ever achieved. Each-and-every one has made enough mistakes--both by-the-numbers mistakes and by-every-measure mistakes--that maybe you just think NHL GMs as a whole are terrible whose teams win despite them.

For the record, this is pretty similar to how I feel about Lowry:

Quote:
This would be the only thing. Percoeved value can be real value. How much is Meyers worth in trade to another gm? Is it more then any of the other options? If so I'd be more inclined to try to move him.

On the other hand, I'd be completely fine losing him to exp as wel.
The difference being that I think Lowry has actually been better than Myers. I've had no concerns with Lowry or his ES usage this year.

At the end of the day, I really like rate stats and I really like Daňo, but I think there's a degree of bird-in-the-hand with Lowry.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Sabrenator

Quote:
Of course he has more value. He is an elite d-man. Some ppl seem to have forgotten it. I believe that next season will be big for him.

Sabrenator is offline   Reply With Quote