HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Owen Sound Attack 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Buttsy

vCash: 500
Hard to say I think Erie exercised some demons from their closet last night which could lead to a very confident team moving forward. Scary part about OS is I think next year is probably "their year". Should be a good series........ if Erie has an achillies heal it for sure is in net and OS forwards can light em up. One thing London failed to do was get on a role and really bury the Otters when the goalies were struggling in their series. OS on the other hand will keep the pedal down much, much better and exploit that weakness!

As for the goalie debate at this point it goes to Parsons BUT this is McNivens chance to close the gap between them. McNiven will have the chance to do the things that Parsons has already accomplished. If you watched the Otters vs Knights Go the distance I think you would have to agree. Doesn't mean "Michael" can't do it, he just hasn't had to yet.

Old
04-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLLYWD99 View Post
McNiven isn't even close to Parson's, he nearly took down the Otters carrying the Knights on his back.
I suspect the team playing in front of the goalies and the various opportunities to garner press attention has something to do with this opinion.
IMHO, there isn't much if any separation.

Old
04-19-2017, 10:27 AM
three dog night

Should be interesting Erie prob better offense but not by much Owen Sound better goal tending and defense. I expect a seven game series and flip a coin but going for the Attack .

Old
04-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Millpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
Hard to say I think Erie exercised some demons from their closet last night which could lead to a very confident team moving forward. Scary part about OS is I think next year is probably "their year". Should be a good series........ if Erie has an achillies heal it for sure is in net and OS forwards can light em up. One thing London failed to do was get on a role and really bury the Otters when the goalies were struggling in their series. OS on the other hand will keep the pedal down much, much better and exploit that weakness!

As for the goalie debate at this point it goes to Parsons BUT this is McNivens chance to close the gap between them. McNiven will have the chance to do the things that Parsons has already accomplished. If you watched the Otters vs Knights Go the distance I think you would have to agree. Doesn't mean "Michael" can't do it, he just hasn't had to yet.
Maybe no one has talked about Michaels work so far because his coach emphasises team play. He is almost reluctant to centre out one player, and preaches a team approach to winning. He said earlier, it doesn't matter if the game is 1-0 or 10-1, a win is a win , a loss is a loss.

Whatever he's selling, he's done a bang up job of getting his charges to buy in, and without much fanfare.
The Attack are the lunch bucket .brigade, with a bit of sparkle on top.

I'd love to see us have a chance at the league finals, but all the same, I am most safisfied the Attack has gone deep into the playoffs.

Most predictions had them finishing bottom four, so this has been a pleasant experience.

And a testament to McGill and Letang, and Red Dog and Co. developing these players.

Old
04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Buttsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millpond View Post
And a testament to McGill and Letang, and Red Dog and Co. developing these players.
Absolutely if they get to the Memorial Cup they will most likely get some of the credit they are due but the hockey operations group is exceptional in OS this season. Really have them willing to die for each other and believing in themselves. Sentorame (sp?) has been such a huge piece as well, I could watch him play every night all night. He is special, I hope it translates into a successful NHL carrer for him. Good Luck you will have your hands full BUT so will Erie.

Old
04-19-2017, 11:36 PM
DavelPatsyuk13

Quote:
Maybe no one has talked about Michaels work so far because his coach emphasises team play. He is almost reluctant to centre out one player, and preaches a team approach to winning. He said earlier, it doesn't matter if the game is 1-0 or 10-1, a win is a win , a loss is a loss.

Whatever he's selling, he's done a bang up job of getting his charges to buy in, and without much fanfare.
The Attack are the lunch bucket .brigade, with a bit of sparkle on top.

I'd love to see us have a chance at the league finals, but all the same, I am most safisfied the Attack has gone deep into the playoffs.

Most predictions had them finishing bottom four, so this has been a pleasant experience.

The most fun runs are the ones you don't expect. I said it last year but I had more fun in the Sarnia upset, and Erie series as a fan than I did in 2015 on our WCF run. There's just so little pressure, because expectations are already exceeded. It's all gravy, and you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

As far as this series goes, if McNiven can continue his play from the end of our series, you'll be hard to beat. The one thing I admire about your team is it's ability to go out and play 60 hard minutes of hockey seemingly every night. That's not something a lot of teams can do, and it's a recipe for success.

Old
04-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Millpond

Ryan McGill

Ryan McGill.

Just awarded OHL Coach of the Year.
His Attack was the league's most improved team.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:03 AM
7D442

any of you guys making the trip up and in 219??

also how long of a ride is it.??

Old
04-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Buttsy

Quote:
Ryan McGill.

Just awarded OHL Coach of the Year.
His Attack was the league's most improved team.
As big of a "No Brainer" as their could be, congrats he was a slam dunk on this one!

Old
04-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Millpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7D442 View Post
any of you guys making the trip up and in 219??

also how long of a ride is it.??
Not sure about fans going down on heir own.

The fan club has not gone on any trips since Feb. The club President is very ill, the club is in disarray.

Too bad, our best season ever and no support on the road.

It's about a 5.5hr trip one way, not including border crossing.

We've been many times in the past, really enjoy the trip, arena and shopping.

For the record, this Attack fan has always been welcomed and treated well by the good folks in Erie.
I'm working this weekend, or I might have made the trip.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:37 AM
aresknights

Enjoy the ride Attack n hopefully you get a trip to the OHL finals at the very least.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:39 PM
OSMike
Conch Shell Crew

Erie's transition game is killing the Attack. And when the Attack get any sort of zone time Erie quickly wins a battle and ends the threat. Foegele and Cirelli look to be the best deadline pick ups. The top 2 lines of Erie are very dangerous. The Attack need to get on the Erie D and goalie as much as possible.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Duke Guy

Centorame and Phillips have been on the ice for 4 of the first 5 goals. Yikes.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Radar9
Hounds/London !

Owen Sound is not playing aggressive at all and not using their speed

Old
04-21-2017, 08:11 PM
OSMike
Conch Shell Crew

The Attack are not being relentless. Erie is in top form. The Attack needed to get on Murdaca early to see if they could rattle him. Did not happen.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:41 PM
HLLYWD99

Erie's best players were there best players, you can't give them that kind of time and space.

Bring it tomorrow night.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Millpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLLYWD99 View Post
Erie's best players were there best players, you can't give them that kind of time and space.

Bring it tomorrow night.
The Otters are not the Hounds.
Time to up the Attack gameplan

Old
04-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Beast Mowed

Attack was ahead in "shots on goal" at one point in the first period. If I'm not mistaken, Erie had 4 goals on 12 shots, quite a surprise. This fan expected a tougher fight, maybe the London series was what Erie needed? Maybe the bus trip/butterflies got the best of Owen Sound? Tomorrow night will more than likely be much closer. Much more relaxed from the fan base. At least my mother in law wasn't saying "people come to die here"....

FWIW, The first period seemed like a little "feeling out" for both teams, Erie had it's best second period of the season. Tomorrow will be a COMPLETELY different game.

Last edited by Beast Mowed: 04-21-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Last paragraph
Old
04-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Millpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJackson Koehler View Post
Attack was ahead in "shots on goal" at one point in the first period. If I'm not mistaken, Erie had 4 goals on 12 shots, quite a surprise. This fan expected a tougher fight, maybe the London series was what Erie needed? Maybe the bus trip/butterflies got the best of Owen Sound? Tomorrow night will more than likely be much closer. Much more relaxed from the fan base. At least my mother in law wasn't saying "people come to die here"....

FWIW, The first period seemed like a little "feeling out" for both teams, Erie had it's best second period of the season. Tomorrow will be a COMPLETELY different game.
US Attack fans hope so.

Old
04-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Millpond

Big Rig wins in OT !!
The real Attack showed up tonight.

Coming home with the split.

And cowbells allowed Wed in O S.]

Old
04-22-2017, 09:20 PM
HLLYWD99

What a move by Schmalz on the OT winner , the Attack looked like they got better as the game went on.

Mission accomplished a split in Erie, home ice is ours!

Old
04-23-2017, 04:13 AM
barclayplager

..watched ex game in North Bay vs OS.....really impressed..not surprised in the least...by the Attack season....

Old
04-23-2017, 06:20 AM
bobber

Attack had a bad first game. Came right back and won the second game on Erie's ice. The Attack are not going to be easy to beat for any squad in the CHL when they play their system. Glad to see McNiven come back and play solid against a high scoring Otter squad. I think some Erie fans thought it would be easy after the first game. Guess not.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:40 AM
OSMike
Conch Shell Crew

Quote:
Big Rig wins in OT !!
The real Attack showed up tonight.

Coming home with the split.

And cowbells allowed Wed in O S.]
Not going Monday?

Great character win by the Attack. Never quit down 2 goals. SH goal really gave them a boost.

What can ya say about Matt Schmalz. This guys quietly accepts a 4th line roll always is a leader and a cheer leader rallying the boys. He's drafted was a first round ohl
Pick but is showing great maturity and team first character. When he gets a shift it's all out. Good job big rig.

Keep it up boys. That's all we can ask. Go Attack Go.

Last edited by OSMike: 04-23-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old
04-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Millpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMike View Post
Not going Wednesday?

Great character win by the Attack. Never quit down 2 goals. SH goal really gave them a boost.

What can ya say about Matt Schmalz. This guys quietly accepts a 4th line roll always is a leader and a cheer leader rallying the boys. He's drafted was a first round ohl
Pick but is showing great maturity and team first character. When he gets a shift it's all out. Good job big rig.

Keep it up boys. That's all we can ask. Go Attack Go.
I'll be there, that was an android typo.

I'm in till the end now, including a visit to Memorial Cup.

Closed Thread