HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Are the players losing faith in Maurice?

Old
04-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Peggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
While everyone was claiming Buff didn't pass to Laine one of the posters did a tally of all assists on Laine goals.... Buff was in first or second place on the list at that time.
How many goals? 5?

Buff did pass, but there was a lot of time he'd just pass it to wheeler, Wheeler would pass back to buff, then back to wheeler or Buff would shoot when Laine has a open pass

Sure buff is gonna get the assist because every once and a while he'd actually pass it to Laine and when he did Laine would score lol

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
How many goals? 5?

Buff did pass, but there was a lot of time he'd just pass it to wheeler, Wheeler would pass back to buff, then back to wheeler or Buff would shoot when Laine has a open pass

Sure buff is gonna get the assist because every once and a while he'd actually pass it to Laine and when he did Laine would score lol
I'm not going to go too off topic with this considering it's the PoMo thread.

My point was this. There is no concensus amongst anyone really as to "who" the best players for Laine to play with on the PP were. During the second half of the year the "problem" with the PP was that Laine wasn't scoring on it.... not that it was ineffective.

So in Laine's interview when he said of course he wants to play with the best players and on PP1 what does that even mean?

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Bigfish

Paul Maurices coaching record before joining the Jets - 460 wins 457 loses 99 ties 68 OT loses. Barely a .500 coach. Kinda makes me wonder why we hired him in the first place.

Paul Maurices record with the Jets - 136 wins 112 loses 33 OT loses. a little better.

Minor Penalties PK PP
2014/15 373 (worst in the league) 81.8% (13th) 17.5% (20th)
2015/16 327 (3rd worst) 78.4% (25th) 14.8% (worst in the league)
2016/17 306 (4th worst) 77.5% (26th) 18.2% (18th)

All of the above is coaching related.

We are supposed to be a draft and develop team yet Chris Thorburn plays 65 games.
Maurice plays Thorburn and Tanev ahead of Dano and Petan. Not much development there. He plays Lowry on the first PP unit over Laine.

If i am a young player I look at Maurice and i think "how am i supposed to have faith in this guy"? He hasn't done anything and refuses to change.

Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
ffh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
Paul Maurices coaching record before joining the Jets - 460 wins 457 loses 99 ties 68 OT loses. Barely a .500 coach. Kinda makes me wonder why we hired him in the first place.

Paul Maurices record with the Jets - 136 wins 112 loses 33 OT loses. a little better.

Minor Penalties PK PP
2014/15 373 (worst in the league) 81.8% (13th) 17.5% (20th)
2015/16 327 (3rd worst) 78.4% (25th) 14.8% (worst in the league)
2016/17 306 (4th worst) 77.5% (26th) 18.2% (18th)

All of the above is coaching related.

We are supposed to be a draft and develop team yet Chris Thorburn plays 65 games.
Maurice plays Thorburn and Tanev ahead of Dano and Petan. Not much development there. He plays Lowry on the first PP unit over Laine.

If i am a young player I look at Maurice and i think "how am i supposed to have faith in this guy"? He hasn't done anything and refuses to change.
why are you using playing a rookie as an example that this team doesn't play young players.

Last edited by ffh: 04-21-2017 at 11:01 AM.
ffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Yeah, if anything Maurice's success with the rookies was a strong point this year. But there are some notable exceptions. The most obvious is with playing Thorburn. I can understand people having a problem with that. That being said, pretty much every coach has "that guy". And it wouldn't surprise me if the locker room backed him on it, given how much Thorburn is apparently liked in the room. And how many players (despite what we all say around here) like having some muscle on the team. Not that the locker room should make these decisions. But locker room harmony, veteran leadership, and those sorts of intangibles may play a part in developing a team of young players. Stuff that we can't see from the outside.

Sure, from my seat here behind my laptop, I'd preferred to have seen a rookie get more time in place of Thorburn. But, I also mitigate my disappointment since Maurice's "that guy" is someone who only sometimes takes up a 4th line slot (when he's not in the PB), and plays minimal minutes. A lot of other teams have it worse.

Dano is the other mystery. It is curious that Tanev got time over Dano. Examining this purely by the stats makes it look crazy. And maybe it is. Or maybe there's more at play. One thing you can't pin on Tanev is a lack of effort and energy. Or "compete" as Maurice would say. I could imagine that compete is a big positive in Maurice's book, especially for a 4th line player. He is trying to develop a culture with this team, and Tanev would certainly contribute to the "bring it every night" culture every coach wants. A lot of folks look at the Jets as a really inconsistent team. Many blame that on the coach. Perhaps playing Tanev over the more talented competition is the kind of move a coach makes to fix the consistency problem. I'm not sure what other posters imagine Maurice should be doing instead - some kind of hollywood sports movie motivational speech before every game?

Anyway, I don't blame folks who don't like those moves. I question them too. But I'm also willing to believe there's more to the story than thinking Maurice is too dumb to judge good hockey players.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Peggy

Quote:
I'm not going to go too off topic with this considering it's the PoMo thread.

My point was this. There is no concensus amongst anyone really as to "who" the best players for Laine to play with on the PP were. During the second half of the year the "problem" with the PP was that Laine wasn't scoring on it.... not that it was ineffective.

So in Laine's interview when he said of course he wants to play with the best players and on PP1 what does that even mean?
But that's kind of my point
Maurice never figured it out and seemed to keep going in the opposite direction

Laine was shooting at a high percentage and Maurice couldn't figure out a power play that would get those shots off to Laine

Old
04-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
But that's kind of my point
Maurice never figured it out and seemed to keep going in the opposite direction

Laine was shooting at a high percentage and Maurice couldn't figure out a power play that would get those shots off to Laine
Maurice DID figure out the PP..... it was fine for 4 1/2 months of the season. Running above 20% and occasionally quite a bit better. The one thing he didn't figure out was how to keep Laine scoring on the PP regardless of how many different looks, positions and players he used with him.

Lowry/PoMo took a **** kicking here for being used on the power play but he finished 3rd in G/60 (second if you don't count Dano) and 5 in P/60 (forwards only).... not to mention the goals he was in on by doing his job in front of the net.

The angst for the PP in the last half of the season was largely unfounded unless the only way to believe our PP is doing well is Laine scoring all the goals.

Also, take it for what it's worth but the teams PP both last year and this year were much better when Little is in the lineup.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Howard Chuck

We have to remember that it was clearly stated when Maurice was hired, that chevy said it was to use his skills as an evaluator. I think that the numerous lineup changes were simply evaluation over wins. We also have to consider how many reasonably good coaches would come to Winnipeg knowing that their job was to evaluate over winning?

Hopefully the evaluation is done and we can start winning

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Peggy

Quote:
Maurice DID figure out the PP..... it was fine for 4 1/2 months of the season. Running above 20% and occasionally quite a bit better. The one thing he didn't figure out was how to keep Laine scoring on the PP regardless of how many different looks, positions and players he used with him.

Lowry/PoMo took a **** kicking here for being used on the power play but he finished 3rd in G/60 (second if you don't count Dano) and 5 in P/60 (forwards only).... not to mention the goals he was in on by doing his job in front of the net.

The angst for the PP in the last half of the season was largely unfounded unless the only way to believe our PP is doing well is Laine scoring all the goals.

Also, take it for what it's worth but the teams PP both last year and this year were much better when Little is in the lineup.
I'd like to see what power play units were scoring
Because he didn't figure out the power play If only one unit is getting anything going
Is 20 percent the standard in the NHL(I honestly don't know)
20 percent sounds low that's means it takes at least 5 power plays to get a goal

Old
04-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
We have to remember that it was clearly stated when Maurice was hired, that chevy said it was to use his skills as an evaluator. I think that the numerous lineup changes were simply evaluation over wins. We also have to consider how many reasonably good coaches would come to Winnipeg knowing that their job was to evaluate over winning?
A guy who can't evaluate worth beans -- it took him 2.5 years to realize he couldn't evaulate his team and needed help evaluating -- evaluated a career mediocrity as a good evaluator and brought him in to evaluate. What could go wrong?

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:49 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Bard View Post
A guy who can't evaluate worth beans -- it took him 2.5 years to realize he couldn't evaulate his team and needed help evaluating -- evaluated a career mediocrity as a good evaluator and brought him in to evaluate. What could go wrong?
Hard to say; it's only been 3.5 years. Need a few more years to pass before they know.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:38 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Maurice DID figure out the PP..... it was fine for 4 1/2 months of the season. Running above 20% and occasionally quite a bit better.
Jan - April around 19.5%. Isn't fair to pick out the teams best few months and then compare that to every other teams entire year.
Even if you did that we would still be right in the middle. With a team that has enough firepower to be around 7th in goals scored. Ahead of Edmonton who was 5th in powerplay percentage.
Powerplay isn't good enough yet.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoJangelz71 View Post
I would challenge you to back your senseless post with something factual that would support it, but we both know that would be an excercise in futlity considering all your posts are of the exact same nature, and all lack anything relevant, insightful or meaningful.

But to claim a coach that has coached over 1000 games in this league, has coached at all levels and been engrained in this game for half his life, does not have the ability to evaluate is close to the dumbest thing you have stated.
Pretty harsh retort.
If evaluating goes hand in hand with winning and I think we could all agree it does than that post you responded to isn't terribly off the mark.

Eyeseeing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:48 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

Wheeler said Maurice was best coach he's ever had on 1290

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:48 PM
LowLefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
Pretty harsh retort.
If evaluating goes hand in hand with winning and I think we could all agree it does than that post you responded to isn't terribly off the mark.
Evaluating doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with winning - although I would think as we progress through the review, we would be better- and we are, based on the last few games of the season.
Too small a sample? Maybe but I'd like what I was seeing.

This team has been a mishmash all season and mostly due to youth review and injuries.
As for Laine and his role on the PP, he struggled in the back half as teams adapted - he was seeing a lot less room and given a lot less time. You could see the 18 yr old starting to show through - he struggled a bit when rushed and had trouble keeping up when they were trying to bring more speed to the passing / decision making in the O zone on the PP. I keep forgetting he's 18 - he'll find and make more space as he adapts to the speed (or maybe quickness is a better word) in the NHL.

It's painful watching a coach as he sorts things out - trial and error will always look like a disorganized mess most of the time - I thought Mo did OK considering the above.

LowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:37 PM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Cue the coaching records of Blake Wheeler's coaches. I do believe julien was 1 of them.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:14 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
Cue the coaching records of Blake Wheeler's coaches. I do believe julien was 1 of them.
He's still bitter about the Bruins trading him 3+ months before they won the Cup. Julien had to sign off on that.

Last edited by AWSAA: 04-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:23 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Very interesting. Can you post the quote or link?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:26 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
And he wasn't just saying it because he had to, or because he was on the home market radio station.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLefty View Post
Evaluating doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with winning - although I would think as we progress through the review, we would be better- and we are, based on the last few games of the season.
Too small a sample? Maybe but I'd like what I was seeing.

This team has been a mishmash all season and mostly due to youth review and injuries.
As for Laine and his role on the PP, he struggled in the back half as teams adapted - he was seeing a lot less room and given a lot less time. You could see the 18 yr old starting to show through - he struggled a bit when rushed and had trouble keeping up when they were trying to bring more speed to the passing / decision making in the O zone on the PP. I keep forgetting he's 18 - he'll find and make more space as he adapts to the speed (or maybe quickness is a better word) in the NHL.

It's painful watching a coach as he sorts things out - trial and error will always look like a disorganized mess most of the time - I thought Mo did OK considering the above.
7 game meaningless win streak vs Maurice's coaching specifically career winning percentage is telling.

Eyeseeing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:04 PM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
And he wasn't just saying it because he had to, or because he was on the home market radio station.
I'm sure a hey i like our coach would have sufficed seems a little above and beyond. Like he might acctually believe it.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:07 PM
LowLefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
7 game meaningless win streak vs Maurice's coaching specifically career winning percentage is telling.
Wasn't meaningless to many of the teams they beat in that streak - give them credit.

LowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Whileee

I noticed that that idiot coach of the Leafs plays Boyle on the PP and has Martin in the lineup over more skilled smaller players.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:38 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
Who says he has to say that? Saying that about a coach is far from an expected comment and something that could easily be avoided.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:47 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLefty View Post
Wasn't meaningless to many of the teams they beat in that streak - give them credit.
Agreed. Anyone around here willing to walk up to Wheeler, Scheifele, Little or Buff on the street and tell them winning hockey games is meaningless if you can't make the playoffs? Hockey players think different than a large percentage of HFBoard and thank god, otherwise championships would would be decided by who capitulated first because something happened I didn't like.