HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Old
04-20-2017, 12:44 PM
j1012

vCash: 500
I don't know if any move to the Key would be timely... maybe to Sodo

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:39 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... well, if Garys' holding out hope for a timely move of the Coyotes to Seattle that light bulb just grew a lot dimmer. Unbelievable.
Oh I don't know and of course not surprised. Ideally, that opens up Key as a temp venue for the Yotes while Hansen builds in Sodo, then Key can be renovated into a world class entertainment facility without having to meet NHL/NBA specs. But realistically it will just put a new arena on Seattle time, otherwise known as when light rail is done sometime in a decade or two.

nwhockeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:46 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

News item from the Port:

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Melrose Munch

Let's hop sodo gets approved soon. Looking like Ed Murray is on he way out, and we can get a new mayor in there. No more excuses.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:21 AM
aqib

Since they can't touch Key for 2 years the simple solutions would be to approve Sodo on one of two conditions:

1) He moves forward immediately since both Key bids are putting up a similar amount of money without teams committed showing a concert only model can work

or

2) He has 2 years to secure either an NBA or NHL team

aqib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Since they can't touch Key for 2 years the simple solutions would be to approve Sodo on one of two conditions:

1) He moves forward immediately since both Key bids are putting up a similar amount of money without teams committed showing a concert only model can work

or

2) He has 2 years to secure either an NBA or NHL team
Agreed. Now Hansen buys the Coyotes and that's that.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:20 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Agreed. Now Hansen buys the Coyotes and that's that.
He already said he and his Sonics group doesn't have the resources to fund and NBA team, an arena, and an NHL team. What would have to happen is someone else buys the Coyotes and that person becomes a 50% partner in the arena.

Old
04-22-2017, 05:54 AM
j1012

Quote:
He already said he and his Sonics group doesn't have the resources to fund and NBA team, an arena, and an NHL team. What would have to happen is someone else buys the Coyotes and that person becomes a 50% partner in the arena.
Exactly my thoughts...someone like Jerry Bruckheimer

Old
04-22-2017, 05:57 AM
j1012

Last edited by j1012: 04-22-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old
04-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
Exactly my thoughts...someone like Jerry Bruckheimer
But the coyotes are not remotely worth what the NHL wants. There will have to be a negotiation.

Old
04-22-2017, 10:55 AM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
But the coyotes are not remotely worth what the NHL wants. There will have to be a negotiation.
Someone will buy them just not Hansen. Maybe Barroway buys out the minority partners and comes to Seattle himself by paying for half of Sodo or as someone else suggested Jerry Bruckheimer or someone like that buys them or an expansion team. The bottom line is Hansen has ruled himself out of being the NHL team owner.

Old
04-22-2017, 02:02 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Are you guys saying that Hansen would still build but then wait 10 years (NBA said there was no question of expansion/relocation) for next window opportunity for an NBA team.

To me, if he builds, it's because he's getting what he wants (NBA) very short term post-building.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:28 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Are you guys saying that Hansen would still build but then wait 10 years (NBA said there was no question of expansion/relocation) for next window opportunity for an NBA team.

To me, if he builds, it's because he's getting what he wants (NBA) very short term post-building.
This, unless an NHL guy comes in with huge amounts of $$$ to help finance the building of the arena. I think that Hansen is still not really understanding how much bad blood he may have created with the NBA with his moves in the Sacramento situation. And, he doesn't care about hockey. So, for his arena to go NHL-first, it's going to take a big check to make it happen. And, that's a long shot....

Also, having read the other teams' schedule complaints, I think they have valid issues that Hansen needs to clarify. I'm not accusing Hansen of any wrong-doing, but he and his people are saying "We have an agreement on scheduling, and the details will be worked out later." The other teams are saying, "We have an agreement that we will talk about an agreement. You haven't actually agreed to anything. And, that disturbs us, because we don't want you here if you won't communicate and yield in some dates...." And, that seems very reasonable to me, without knowing the details, of course.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:46 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post

Also, having read the other teams' schedule complaints, I think they have valid issues that Hansen needs to clarify. I'm not accusing Hansen of any wrong-doing, but he and his people are saying "We have an agreement on scheduling, and the details will be worked out later." The other teams are saying, "We have an agreement that we will talk about an agreement. You haven't actually agreed to anything. And, that disturbs us, because we don't want you here if you won't communicate and yield in some dates...." And, that seems very reasonable to me, without knowing the details, of course.
My totally uneducated guess on this is that truth with this report lies somewhere in between what other teams are reported to be saying and what Hansen has said in the past. The difference is a skepticism about the Times reporting picking, parsing quotes to make their story read the way they want.

I have zero basis for this but just a gut feeling. Hansen has been saying this for a while and nothing from Mariners or the others to contradict until now. Then the source of it. I am not going to read too much into it at this point. Seems to be a well timed story with some truths about both sides of the story. Still plenty of time for an agreement that is solid imo.

nwhockeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 06:04 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
The ridiculous complain over the FEIS need a supplement EIS has already been taken care off oct of 2015 and the times and the sport teams seemed to forget about that.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 11:56 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
The ridiculous complain over the FEIS need a supplement EIS has already been taken care off oct of 2015 and the times and the sport teams seemed to forget about that.
This is NOW Paul Allen and several other billionaires vs Chris Hansen. This isn't going to be fairly officiated.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 03:32 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
This is NOW Paul Allen and several other billionaires vs Chris Hansen. This isn't going to be fairly officiated.
Nah. We'll remind them about the tax money they got for their facilities.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 08:53 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
Nah. We'll remind them about the tax money they got for their facilities.
Agreed. I'd expect this to be a fairly peaceful issue. All that's probably involved here is changes to the existing scheduling arrangements to help cover a new SoDo arena.

BTW, a piece of news on the Key Arena and traffic this morning:

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/adap...mess/515547295

Even the most mundane of news items on this topic I sniff them up. Anyway, this concerns a new traffic signal control system on the Mercer Mess that Seattle's transportation department is turning on today. Supposedly, this is going to have the signals work such that when there's a large event going on at the Key for example (i.e. an NHL game) and there's subsequently a lot of traffic on Mercer because of that event, the lights will remain green longer and red shorter going east/west on Mercer for that traffic to move through the SLU corridor better. We'll see if this actually works or not. Everything else they've tried to do down there hasn't seemed to work, and then there's the issue of north/south traffic crossing Mercer and how that will be impacted by these new lights.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 11:47 AM
j1012

Old
04-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Best summary I've read so far.

Quote:
That’s because Hansen has yet to make his funding mechanisms known. In fact, Hansen has no plans to secure additional needed financing until after the city approves his proposal to vacate a street so he can complete his arena land acquisitions.

And that leaves his project in the “incomplete” stage compared with the two others. We know Hansen and his partners — Erik and Peter Nordstrom, Wally Walker and Russell Wilson — are not billionaires. Even pooling 100 percent of their money might not cover an arena and the NBA team they have suggested owning.

Just on the Sodo arena alone — with a final price tag that should inflate well beyond its initial $490 million estimate — the group almost certainly needs additional partners or financing. Hansen has indicated as much.

But he has made it clear he can’t secure those partners or loans without having sports teams commit to playing there first. The two KeyArena groups devised their models around the notion they would build immediately, without needing teams.
This is really messy. Don't know why there are so many SoDo boosters on this forum when there are so many issues to work out with the bid. KeyArena seems pretty straight forward by comparison.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:17 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

It's an arena in Seattle, I'm sure it won't be a major issue to find funding with whatever combined wealth they've got as a group.

It's not like they're talking about constructing and arena in Boise, Seattle needs an arena and it's likely to be successful just by putting it up.

04-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
It's an arena in Seattle, I'm sure it won't be a major issue to find funding with whatever combined wealth they've got as a group.

It's not like they're talking about constructing and arena in Boise, Seattle needs an arena and it's likely to be successful just by putting it up.
Did you read the article? It specifically states the group likely does not have the combined wealth to complete the project. The total cost of building the stadium and acquiring franchises would be well over $2bn, and the involvement of Hansen might be a poison pill to anyone looking to put a NBA franchise in his stadium, whereas the groups involved in Key Arena are both well connected with both the NHL and NBA.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:37 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Did you read the article? It specifically states the group likely does not have the combined wealth to complete the project. The total cost of building the stadium and acquiring franchises would be well over $2bn, and the involvement of Hansen might be a poison pill to anyone looking to put a NBA franchise in his stadium, whereas the groups involved in Key Arena are both well connected with both the NHL and NBA.
I think SoDo is a better location for the arena, but I really don't care if it's Key or SoDo as long as there's eventually an arena for hockey in Seattle.

When it comes to the financing of the arena, like I said, I don't think it matter much. Just get the place up. Use $200MM of your own money and finance the rest. Nobody that builds these places are going to do it with their own money. Put enough personal wealth into the pot to make the banks comfortable and finance the rest.

BattleBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Best summary I've read so far.
... yeah, brings us up to speed. More studies required but still, youve just got to figure the Leiweke group has the inside lane with the backing they've lined up.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 02:49 PM
canuckfan75

I would say the MSG Bid is the lead horse in this race as well

Remember that Liewickie brother was a excutive with the Seahawks as well . I think his name is Tim.

Dolan Money and Jacobs with the food rights. says NHL is a 100% for sure if they get the bid

canuckfan75 is offline   Reply With Quote