HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Series Discussion: Columbus (3) vs Pittsburgh (2)

Old
04-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsDavid View Post
We scored 4 goals in 3 away games how many of those should Bob have won?

Granted he was awful but our offense on the road was pathetic as well.
It also has to be noted that Fleury was every bit as bad as Bob in games 3 and 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
Dating back to the regular season, Wennberg had 1-7-8 in his last 25 games and was a -4. #1 C material? Kid just might have cost himself a couple million by disappearing.
If would be silly to sign him to anything more than a bridge deal at this point.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
JacketsDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
It also has to be noted that Fleury was every bit as bad as Bob in games 3 and 4.
My point was the away games. It wasn't Bob that lost those games alone. Our offense scored 1 goal in 2 games and 2 goals in other.
At home I agree pin game 3 on Bob.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
EspenK

By and large I was more impressed with the way our young guys played than our veterans.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
By and large I was more impressed with the way our young guys played than our veterans.
That's a good sign of what's to come!

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Forepar

Quote:
One of Viqsi's cookies for you.

Our kids brought it...not one of them was out of place.

The Forward vets were largely invisible. The Goalie vet found the puck to be invisible.
Saad still young, but a vet on this team - he didn't suck, but was just Ok.
Hartnell disappeared in the jet fumes - just too slow.
Foligno fumbled the puck the entire series and killed momentum.
Dubi would make a dumb play for every good one.
Gagner - enough said. We got more than we paid for, he helped get them to January, but "NEXT."
Cam was invisible except for first 5 minutes of Game 3.
Calvert is exception - he was good with exception of end to Game 2.

Bob - ouch, fought it every game.

The young guns were very visible, mostly in good ways.
Andy was very good, if not exceptional, most of the time.
Boone was the Boone we want to keep - banger who thrives in PO type play.
Bjorkstrand didn't score but he held his own - he needs some strength, which he will get.
Wild Bill found his game - he struggled with Malkin early in the series but was good at both ends the last half of the series..
Sedlak was solid when he finally got on the ice.
Wennberg was the exception for the young guns - he wasn't wretched horrible, but he didn't do anything to write home about (bad call on him last night).

D is a different story. Both vets and youngsters were good if not great. A few times they got caught standing around and not clearing pucks or people, but for the most part the D was good, close to exceptional in the offensive zone.
The Harrington/Carlsson pairing for Games 1-3 was puzzling. Carlsson looks to be a keeper but a few mistakes in early games and Torts limiting that pair's ice time affected the entire D corp.
IMO Quincey and Nutivarra were fine as 3rd pair in Games 4 & 5 - Nutti was noticeable, mostly in good ways.
Savard and JJ were VERY good, if not exceptional. JJ needs to play the Pens and PO hockey more often!
Seth was mostly stellar, a few mishaps but that will happen with the minutes and role he plays.
Zach was outstanding. Carlsson looked fine paired with Seth.
Murray returns next year tbd.

VERY HAPPY with the season. Very sad and a little disappointed today.

Forepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Johansen2Foligno

In Ice Hockey (NES) terms, we need more of the top and less of the bottom

Johansen2Foligno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansen2Foligno View Post
In Ice Hockey (NES) terms, we need more of the top and less of the bottom

Seems sort of like CBJ likes being the bottom.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:14 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourIgnoreList View Post
Thank you.

I'm not sure I agree that it was the right call to wave off the goal. I see Wennberg deliberately moving his stick out of the way just before impact, but having nowhere to go due to pressure and body contact on his right. I'm not sure how he could have avoided the contact. But, tonight of all nights, I am not going to quibble with a fellow CBJ fan.

But the idea that he also got a penalty - I didn't even realize that. That's...not a thing for which I would commend the refereeing.
Interesting....Steve Kouleas , NHL Network XM radio host, was very critical of the call. On multiple occasions has stated it should have been a goal and the penalty call was ridiculous....of course, matters not now.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:17 PM
EdwardG
Let's Dance!

Wennberg was being hooked on that call. Just not a good call but I don't think it would've matter given Bob's issues.

Interesting that the Jackets trajectory was upward offensively the entire series, but you can't spot the Pens 2 games. Game 1 and 2 they simply had trouble getting off a quality shot and even Vezina Bob likely isn't enough to win those given the quality shot disparity. Game 3 they had 5-6 frenzied/great minutes early, then weren't very good the rest of the way (with a decent goalie that's a CBJ win, though). Game 4 they were consistently better and aided by Fleury as well. Game 5 was the best offensive game they played. 50ish shots and many quality shots.... good stuff. These weren't shots fired into Fleury's chest from the blue line, Scott Arniel style... They just didn't quite have the skills to sink them and Fleury made very good stops all night.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:37 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Same here.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 06:10 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Amazing how Minnesota and Columbus have practically been mirror images of each other this season.

Old
04-23-2017, 05:30 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Amazing how Minnesota and Columbus have practically been mirror images of each other this season.
tweedledee and tweedledum

Old
04-29-2017, 08:36 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
tweedledee and tweedledum
A bit harsh, but I must admit I'm not satisfied with the season.

Old
05-01-2017, 11:06 AM
CBJSlash

So the Caps have got smashed on home ice twice.

Will how this series play out have any impact on your perspective of our season? Considering all the issues we had in our series (depleted d, very questionable officiating, and horrific goaltending), I think we were much more competitive than what I've seen from the Caps so far.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2017, 11:24 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
^^

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

Will how this series play out have any impact on your perspective of our season? Considering all the issues we had in our series (depleted d, very questionable officiating, and horrific goaltending), I think we were much more competitive than what I've seen from the Caps so far.
This sentiment is hugely reinforced by being a DC resident, but nothing would make me happier than the Caps being swept by the Pens.

Old
05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
This sentiment is hugely reinforced by being a DC resident, but nothing would make me happier than the Caps being swept by the Pens.
This. Altho ultimately what I'm hoping for is for the Pens to be crushed by the Preds in the SCF.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2017, 06:40 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

Like most of us, I was disappointed in the series vs. the Pens. I am wondering now if the Jackets were not really so bad, but more that the Pens have a gear that other teams just don't possess.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Heinze 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
Like most of us, I was disappointed in the series vs. the Pens. I am wondering now if the Jackets were not really so bad, but more that the Pens have a gear that other teams just don't possess.
Yes they do. The Penguins are like the Spurs or the Cavs in the NBA. They know the regular season doesn't matter. Their guys are experienced enough and been through enough regular seasons to know when to ease up in the regular season and experienced enough to know how to turn it up once the playoffs start. The stacked Red Wings teams of the late 90's/early 00's used to do this too. They'd get up by a couple goals and then you could see them start to coast, but when the playoffs started they'd never go into that coast mode.

Our guys were full bore for the regular season and sort of ran out of gas after the clinch and then couldn't get it back once the games mattered again.

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 08:32 PM
EspenK

Maybe its the time that has elapsed but as I watch other series it seems to me the Jackets lacked playoff intensity. Young guys maybe because they hadn't been there before; veterans maybe because they've only been sporadically.

Old
05-04-2017, 09:01 PM
mikeyp24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
I don't see an extra gear at all. I saw the youngest team in the league play the most/one of the most experienced playoff team with a hurt D and a goalie that was in his own head. We lost 4-1 but that series could have easily been 3-2 us if the officiating in that last game didn't go to **** and a puck didn't go off a mask in ot.

mikeyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2017, 10:06 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Maybe its the time that has elapsed but as I watch other series it seems to me the Jackets lacked playoff intensity. Young guys maybe because they hadn't been there before; veterans maybe because they've only been sporadically.
Really? I've only had a chance to watch the Sens-Rangers series, but watching that I think "Wow, the Jackets are so much better than both these teams." And that if they played one of those teams the exact same way they played the Pens, even with bad Bob, we would've beaten them handily.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJackets1 View Post
Really? I've only had a chance to watch the Sens-Rangers series, but watching that I think "Wow, the Jackets are so much better than both these teams." And that if they played one of those teams the exact same way they played the Pens, even with bad Bob, we would've beaten them handily.
I felt the same in 2014.

Old
05-06-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp24 View Post
I don't see an extra gear at all. I saw the youngest team in the league play the most/one of the most experienced playoff team with a hurt D and a goalie that was in his own head. We lost 4-1 but that series could have easily been 3-2 us if the officiating in that last game didn't go to **** and a puck didn't go off a mask in ot.
There is an extra gear. They turned it on when the Jackets and Pens played the last game against each other before the playoffs. They've been a different team since then.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 08:08 PM
mikeyp24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
There is an extra gear. They turned it on when the Jackets and Pens played the last game against each other before the playoffs. They've been a different team since then.
If they have an extra gear it's the same as the CBJ normal gear... look at the stats from every game except the final score we outplayed them whether it's basic stats or advanced and I HATE advances stats. Corsi to me is so stupid I can't stand those arguments but even using those metrics we did better. At the end of the day the only difference was Bob letting in way more then we could deal with. There weren't many goals that you couldn't describe as soft. Even with a lot against us we still outplayed them in all but 1 game... There is nothing about then penguins that scare me as a team except the fact that Malkin and Kessel in the playoffs can be lights out.

mikeyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote