HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Predators will sell out every home game for first time in team history

Old
04-07-2017, 07:43 PM
rkhum

vCash: 500
Curious for Preds fans:

1) Has there been a drop in road fans this season?
2) Rank the teams in terms of turnout in NASH:

CHI/PIT/DET/StL/NYR/TOR/MON/PHI/BOS/WAS...Columbus?

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I would say no. The secret of how cool Nashville is has gotten out. If anything it's increasing. We always got big crowds with certain teams but there have been more groups coming to Bridgestone.

I could not say who is 1, 2, 3, etc, but the usual groups you listed are well represented. I'd say Chicago is probably tops but this year Washington may have topped them. They were everywhere! Minnesota and Columbus had a lot of fans this year, Montreal had more than usual of course. We've always seen plenty of St. Louis fans when we play them, particularly on weekends.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:36 PM
aemoreira1981

Congratulations! I have to ask which has more impact on this: the fact that the team captain's wife, a major country music star, is also a major supporter of the team, or PK Subban, one of the league's big-name stars on defense. But seriously speaking, I would also say that the team was well-constructed from the start. Even in its expansion season, the team did respectable on the ice (67 points) and have improved from there over the years, and knowing how to build into the community, which I would suppose accelerated once the team finally got local ownership in Tom Cigarran. The common glue even without Cigarran has been David Poile...one must regret if the Caps regret firing him (Poile saved the Capitals from ruin back in 1982 with that gutsy trade of Ryan Walter and others for Rod Langway, and Poile has been the only GM for the Predators since they were announced).

Last edited by aemoreira1981: 04-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.
aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 11:36 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

For those that have to know!! As the team's ratings was derided in another thread. Someone speculated our ratings was lower than Florida.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...ing/100471834/
3.8 rating for game one. 38K+ viewers,

I don't know if this is just Nashville, Nashville Metro, or Middle Tennessee or the whole state.. They seem very low as everyone in my town was talking about the game today (I live 120 miles from Nashville). I would suspect 100K+ statewide.

Keep in mind this is the local Fox broadcast and the NBCSN ratings as the game was on both channels. I don't know how they tracked Fox's viewers as they have not before. I suspect this was NBCSN's ratings and not Fox's.

I watched the game on NBC just to hear the whining if the Predators were winning from the NBC analysts and was not disappointed. Plus it was nice to get away from our local Fox announcers.

Game 2 may not be so great as it is on a Saturday night and people will be out and watching at bars and other places.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Terrier

If Nashville was awarded a Frozen Four in the future, I would heartily approve.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
They did bid on it once.

Old
04-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Pretty cool that most fans have posters of the team on their walls and the Predators put up a poster of their fans

https://www.nhl.com/app/predators/ne...to/c-288910106
State of TN is crazy right now it is all Predators talk and it's still the 1st round

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-19-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old
04-19-2017, 03:41 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
https://www.nhl.com/app/predators/ne...to/c-288910106
State of TN is crazy right now it is all Predators talk and it's still the 1st round
Good to hear!

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
I don't know if you'll see this response a few days late, but to clarify the Frozen Four situation it's not going to happen since Bridgestone Arena secured the SEC BB tournament rights for a multi year deal. They host NCAA 1st/2nd rounds in the years that the SEC plays elsewhere. There would have been more interest had that they not been locked into the BB deals. Maybe the FF one day, but for the next several years it's BB.

Preds Partisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I don't know if you'll see this response a few days late, but to clarify the Frozen Four situation it's not going to happen since Bridgestone Arena secured the SEC BB tournament rights for a multi year deal. They host NCAA 1st/2nd rounds in the years that the SEC plays elsewhere. There would have been more interest had that they not been locked into the BB deals. Maybe the FF one day, but for the next several years it's BB.
My understanding was they were going to try for the F4 at some point and the SEC basketball tournament and NCAA tournament had no effect since they are in Early March and the F4 is in April.

Old
04-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Victorious Secret
EVERYBODY PANIC

vCash: 50
I went to Nashville in November for a game. Had a fantastic atmosphere. Just thought their sound system was outdated and they could have had better music. As far as arenas go, I don't think I've been to one with a better 'experience'.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:40 PM
93LEAFS

Glad to see them doing well. Outside of seeing a game at MSG (but probably would rather see Ball there), Nashville is the team I want to make a trip to, to see the Leafs play (and go to Jack's BBQ or whatever the Pred's board tells me is the best).

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Glad to see them doing well. Outside of seeing a game at MSG (but probably would rather see Ball there), Nashville is the team I want to make a trip to, to see the Leafs play (and go to Jack's BBQ or whatever the Pred's board tells me is the best).
Gotta try the Hot Chicken and Goo Goo clusters (you can get Goo Goo's anywhere but the fresh ones from downtown store are heavenly)

Old
04-20-2017, 12:03 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
This makes no sense. The 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA tournament are usually in the March 18th-March 23rd range. The earliest the semifinals of the Frozen Four has been in the last decade is April 5th. The SEC Tournament is obviously before the NCAA tournament.

Hell, Bridgestone could host the regional semifinals and finals games and still be able to do the Frozen Four. The Preds would likely have to have a long road trip in that time frame but if Bridgestone wanted to bid on a Frozen Four, they could, whether they had basketball or not.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:31 AM
ChrisK97

I find it surprising that they never sold out every home game until this season.

Crazy to think not even those entertaining post-lockout Kariya/Sullivan Preds of 2006-2007 sold out all those home games or even the sneaky good 2011-2012 teams.

Last edited by ChrisK97: 04-20-2017 at 12:46 AM.
ChrisK97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
This makes no sense. The 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA tournament are usually in the March 18th-March 23rd range. The earliest the semifinals of the Frozen Four has been in the last decade is April 5th. The SEC Tournament is obviously before the NCAA tournament.

Hell, Bridgestone could host the regional semifinals and finals games and still be able to do the Frozen Four. The Preds would likely have to have a long road trip in that time frame but if Bridgestone wanted to bid on a Frozen Four, they could, whether they had basketball or not.
The CMA show locks out the arena for a week and a half, the normal busy concert schedule (#5 in US) which is like 80 nights, and whatever else puts scheduling pressure on the Preds. In some years, Bridgestone will host women's SEC and men's NCAA, add the FF for 3 week plus road trips in five weeks?Sure you could schedule the FF too, but there's a point were there are too many blocked weeks and concerts to make an NHL schedule for the Preds that makes any sense. Again, Bridgestone is already the 5th busiest arena in the US, so there's only so much room on the calendar.

Preds Partisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:11 AM
AlwaysSunnyInTampa
Here Comes The Pain!

That's awesome news for the Preds and the city of Nashville. I'm truly happy for them. From a fellow southerner it's great to say that hockey is the most beautiful game in the world.

AlwaysSunnyInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Predators had a 6.9 rating for last night and the 3rd period had a 10.1

Old
04-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
I find it surprising that they never sold out every home game until this season.

Crazy to think not even those entertaining post-lockout Kariya/Sullivan Preds of 2006-2007 sold out all those home games or even the sneaky good 2011-2012 teams.
That's a good observation. I've been going to games since inception, so here's my take on it.

The Kariya years were under Leipold, whose philosophy was "if you build it they ought to come." Nashville may be a growing metropolis but Good Ole Boy deals, unwritten rules and mistrust of outsiders have been slow to die. He struggled with corporate sponsorships and the good will of the city. There were plenty of people there most nights during the Kariya years, many with comp tickets. Even with those it was a hard job to sell out the barn because business decisions and attitude from the top alienated a lot of people.

The new (local) ownership developed partnerships with area businesses, charitable organizations, Ft. Campbell, the other sports teams, city managers, Lower Broad, and most importantly the fans. They inherited a fan base intent on saving "our team" and gratitude that they stepped in to do so. They're constantly upgrading, they work hard to put out a great product. If you feel like an organization wants you there, is proud to show you what you're building together, and who is committed to the community as a whole, you go to games in support when you can. You may wait for a discount but when you can go you go. And that translates to butts in seats. Every game isn't 100% occupied but they're full. The tickets are sold to someone and they count as such.

Oh, and to the person above who commented on the sound system that was replaced in time for the first round. So that's another improvement.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
That's a good observation. I've been going to games since inception, so here's my take on it.

The Kariya years were under Leipold, whose philosophy was "if you build it they ought to come." Nashville may be a growing metropolis but Good Ole Boy deals, unwritten rules and mistrust of outsiders have been slow to die. He struggled with corporate sponsorships and the good will of the city. There were plenty of people there most nights during the Kariya years, many with comp tickets. Even with those it was a hard job to sell out the barn because business decisions and attitude from the top alienated a lot of people.

The new (local) ownership developed partnerships with area businesses, charitable organizations, Ft. Campbell, the other sports teams, city managers, Lower Broad, and most importantly the fans. They inherited a fan base intent on saving "our team" and gratitude that they stepped in to do so. They're constantly upgrading, they work hard to put out a great product. If you feel like an organization wants you there, is proud to show you what you're building together, and who is committed to the community as a whole, you go to games in support when you can. You may wait for a discount but when you can go you go. And that translates to butts in seats. Every game isn't 100% occupied but they're full. The tickets are sold to someone and they count as such.

Oh, and to the person above who commented on the sound system that was replaced in time for the first round. So that's another improvement.
Leipold actully threatened and screamed at some corporate big wigs in town and ruined the good will the team had. Plus the media was always running stories on the team moving and how it could be moved but in hindsight we know now who was feeding those stories to the media.

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-23-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old
04-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

vCash: 50
Seriously happy to hear this. Need to bookmark it for all those threads talking about how non traditional markets shouldn't be in the league.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Hobble

Really happy to see this.
Hope to catch a Jets/Pred game in Nashville eventually.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Seriously happy to hear this. Need to bookmark it for all those threads talking about how non traditional markets shouldn't be in the league.
Good ownership is the key. We had bad ownership that burned bridges in town.

Last edited by Gnashville: 05-15-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old
05-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...ngs/101151170/
9.2 TV ratings for game 3

Old
05-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Last edited by Gnashville: 05-15-2017 at 02:42 PM.