HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Larry Robinson vs. Denis Potvin

Old
04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
The Panther

vCash: 500
Larry Robinson vs. Denis Potvin

Someone in another thread mention that the 1975 to 1985 period would really highlight Robinson and Potvin's careers. I'm wondering which of Robinson or Potvin you think was the better player, was the more high-impact player, or had the better career, etc.?

I saw Robinson in his last years with Montreal and certainly with L.A., but I can barely remember seeing Potvin play.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:44 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Close call.

Robinson has a Conn Smythe but surprisingly Potvin doesn't.

Still, the edge might go to Potvin. But it should not be unanimous.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:40 AM
BrianE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Someone in another thread mention that the 1975 to 1985 period would really highlight Robinson and Potvin's careers. I'm wondering which of Robinson or Potvin you think was the better player, was the more high-impact player, or had the better career, etc.?

I saw Robinson in his last years with Montreal and certainly with L.A., but I can barely remember seeing Potvin play.

Potvin was a very mobile skater (similar to Leddy & Burns) and a great puck mover. Had that ability to snap a quick accurate shot at the net, Denis once scored 3 goals in 3 minutes and 26 seconds (NHL record for a D man) and just under a point a game in his career, always an offensive threat and a joy to watch.

Robinson meanwhile was a solid shut down D man similar to Guy Lapointe or Ken Daneyko, though he had great ability to head man the puck and fire an accurate breakout pass. But i remember him standing in front of the net and clearing the blue paint with his big frame and long reach.

Maybe the edge might go to Robinson as he had more longevity in his career but they both were a gem to watch. Thanks for the thread, great memories.

BrianE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:54 AM
crobro

Potvin was a hybrid of Ray Bourque and Scott Stevens with a Dash of Doug Harvey thrown in there.

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:57 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
Potvin was a hybrid of Ray Bourque and Scott Stevens with a Dash of Doug Harvey thrown in there.
Yes.

I don't know the comparison to Robinson. I know they figured Pronger was going to have a career similar to his and might have if not for being hurt so much. The thing with Robinson is that he was excellent at leading the rush up the ice. Had a good head on his shoulders and rarely made mistakes, even in his old age.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them on your backend. Your team is immediately a better team with either or. I think if you had to pick, you choose Potvin for the reason that he was just a bit more of a game breaker. More likely to throw that thunderous check (although Robinson could too) and more likely to snap a shot home from the point or lead the puck up the ice. I think both controlled the game when they were on the ice but I think Potvin did it just a little bit better.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Sentinel

When the rival fanbase chants your name twenty years after you retired, you know you were pretty good.

I take Potvin exactly for the reason others mentioned: he was more of a game breaker. Besides, the Habs had two other superb defensemen, while on the Isles Potvin was The One.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:18 AM
IComeInPeace

Orr was before my time; Dennis Potvin was the best d-man I've ever seen play the game.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:00 PM
GMR

High impact would have to be Potvin. He didn't have two other Hall of Fame defensemen alongside him like Robinson had. I rank Potvin higher than Bossy or Trottier in terms of importance to those Islanders teams. He was their anchor.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:41 PM
tony d
Kyle Turris

Both are all time great defensemen but give me Denis potvin over Larry Robinson.

04-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Potvin was probably the 3rd best d-man I've seen in my life. The Top 5 order being...

Orr
Bourque
Potvin
Lidstrom
Coffey

But you could probably cover them all with a quarter.

Robinson is in the next tier with MacInnis, Leetch, Karlsson, Pronger and Chelios.

HM: I really wish we could have seen what we would have got from a full career of Konstantinov.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Potvin, no doubt.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... yeah, much as I like Big Bird, I'd be going with Denis Potvin on this one. As mentioned above, Robinson I've always considered a sort of 1B
Grade Defenceman/Player. Excellent, but just a notch below the top top tier of 1A greats of which Potvin is most assuredly one of just a handful.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Moose Head

I love Robinson. After Beliveau probably my favourite Hab ever. Yes he had more 'good' years than Potvin. But Potvin had more great years. Other than 76-77, Robinson never quite played at the level Potvin played at his best. Hell other than Orr, I've never seen a dman play better than Potvin when he was really on. Just a perfect defenseman in my book. I rate him above the likes of Bourque, Lidstrom, Chelios and Robinson.

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:17 PM
tjcurrie

My vote would go to Potvin for the reasons others have mentioned, but that would only because, well, it's what I have heard and read.

As we've made note of before Panther, we're pretty much the exact same age so I have no recollection of either player, really, at least not in their primes as I do recall Robinson a bit with the Habs and then with the Kings.

Great thread, great reading the comments from the fellas who were fortunate enough to have seen these legends in their day. What a treat it must have been.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Jaromir Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... yeah, much as I like Big Bird, I'd be going with Denis Potvin on this one. As mentioned above, Robinson I've always considered a sort of 1B
Grade Defenceman/Player. Excellent, but just a notch below the top top tier of 1A greats of which Potvin is most assuredly one of just a handful.
Out of curiosity, who would be your picks for "1A" tier, Killion?

With all due respect to Robinson (and lord knows he deserves a lot), I have to agree with Potvin for the game-breaker aspect and his even-greater role on his dynastic squad.

Ditto on wishing I were old enough to have seen these greats (and many others) in their prime.

Jaromir Blogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
I love Robinson. After Beliveau probably my favourite Hab ever. Yes he had more 'good' years than Potvin. But Potvin had more great years. Other than 76-77, Robinson never quite played at the level Potvin played at his best. Hell other than Orr, I've never seen a dman play better than Potvin when he was really on. Just a perfect defenseman in my book. I rate him above the likes of Bourque, Lidstrom, Chelios and Robinson.
You saved me some typing. Though I sometimes flip-flop between Potvin and Bourque when it comes to "better career", or whatever accumulated value related topic it might be.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Blogger View Post
Out of curiosity, who would be your picks for "1A" tier, Killion?
1. Orr
2. Harvey
3. Shore
4. Gadsby
5. Potvin
6. Stevens
7. Kelly
8. Savard
9. Horton
10. Park
11. Coffey
12. Pilote
13. Stanley
14. Baun
15. Bourque
16. Lidstrom
17. Salming
etc etc etc etc.............

... all eye~tested. (with the exception of Shore)

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote