Old
04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I know a team that is in the top 10 that won't let Valimaki past them

I don't think Heiskanen lasts past the top 10 either. Makar is probably going top 5

I think Lijegren is dropping he might be there at 12
That is my worst case scenario right there. Do you think TNSE will take Foote over Liljegren? I assume so at this point although its probably more likely they have a forward (hopefully centre) as BPA at 12 if all three of those D men are gone.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:27 AM
YWG

vCash: 500
I'm hoping one of these 4 D are available at 12.

Heiskanen
Makar
Valimaki
Liljegren

If not there should be a decent forward that has dropped into our lap.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:28 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillEmAll83 View Post
Not sure why you're not high on Necas, but if he's there at 12 I take him and run.
x 2 he is a very dynamic player and is going to be a stud. My only fear is that he will play wing in the NHL.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:29 AM
DRW204

who has higher upside and ceiling between Foote and Liljegren? It seems like Liljegren has the highest boom/bust potential of the Dman, and potentially highest offensive cieling

Old
04-21-2017, 09:44 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
who has higher upside and ceiling between Foote and Liljegren? It seems like Liljegren has the highest boom/bust potential of the Dman, and potentially highest offensive cieling
Maybe but remember Foote put up 57 points in 71 games so that is really impressive. We are not talking Logan Stanley Griffin Reinhart here we are talking about a kid who actually put up .5 PPG in his draft -1 season. I have used the Brent Seabrook as a comparison (one comparison has him stylistically like Seth Jones). My only minor concern is that 48% of Foote's points come at 5v4 but hey he forced his way onto the PP and he kicks a55 at it so that is not a bad thing.

If TNSE take Liljegren I will be fine with it because they have seen allot more of him but to me Foote seems bigger, smarter, and pretty damned skilled too.

Last edited by ps241: 04-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old
04-21-2017, 09:57 AM
Rheged
JMFT

People have cooled considerably on Foote and Hague but really both scored at a level worthy of first round defense selections.. Hague is at a PPG during the playoffs as well.

I also still really like Timmins but he doesn't get much talk in the top half of the first round.. And he is a righty.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:07 AM
ruffus23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
People have cooled considerably on Foote and Hague but really both scored at a level worthy of first round defense selections.. Hague is at a PPG during the playoffs as well.

I also still really like Timmins but he doesn't get much talk in the top half of the first round.. And he is a righty.
My money is on Foote being chosen. Dad was NHLer and plays for Kelowna which has pretty good history of developing Dmen. I thought he was top 5-7 not so long ago.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Players that are late birthdays in draft years tend to get more scrutiny and fall in drafts and maybe rightfully so.

An example would be Couturier fell in his draft year. While still a good player, He never lived up to the hype

Old
04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyisl1fe View Post
Why the **** is Makar constantly rated in the top 5, while Erik Brännström is in the late 1st? Brännström has performed very well against men this season and been outright better than Liljegren. He is also one of the youngest players in this draft, being 11months younger than Makar. He's been flying under the radar, but could be a real steal even at 12.
Makar is 1 inch taller. 'Nuff said.
Makar - the scoring! - apparently the weak competition doesn't signify with some.

I think Liljegren's dropping is unlike Chychrun's. It is performance based. I would chalk it up to mono and pick him anyway if it were not for the 'IQ' comments I am seeing from people who have watched him play. I hope someone takes him before our turn.

I think Heiskanen will be the first D taken. Makar may be 2nd. If Valimaki is gone (likley) I think a small reach for Brannstrom might be a smart move. He is almost young enough to drop to the '18 class but is still performing very well. Another flying under the radar a bit is Urho Vaakanainen.

If all the best D are gone by our pick then a very good C will still be there.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus23 View Post
Jets physical style may leave smaller defencemen more prone to injury as other teams have to pick it up a physical notch. Kind of like size on defence.
When all else is equal, size is better. When skill/IQ is absent, size doesn't compensate very well. Foote, Hague, Valimaki all seem to have a good blend of talent to go with their size.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Man, one guy doing a spinarama against a lazy russian team has you all convinced that he should be the guy.

No offense to Brannstrom who is fine mid round guy but he isn't Karlsson and he does brain cramp. I don't have him at 12

Old
04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Man, one guy doing a spinarama against a lazy russian team has you all convinced that he should be the guy.

No offense to Brannstrom who is fine mid round guy but he isn't Karlsson and he does brain cramp. I don't have him at 12
I don't see enough of these guys all year to say, but a guy like McCagg has said that Brannstrom has outperformed Lijegren all year.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:57 AM
ruffus23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Makar is 1 inch taller. 'Nuff said.
Makar - the scoring! - apparently the weak competition doesn't signify with some.

I think Liljegren's dropping is unlike Chychrun's. It is performance based. I would chalk it up to mono and pick him anyway if it were not for the 'IQ' comments I am seeing from people who have watched him play. I hope someone takes him before our turn.

I think Heiskanen will be the first D taken. Makar may be 2nd. If Valimaki is gone (likley) I think a small reach for Brannstrom might be a smart move. He is almost young enough to drop to the '18 class but is still performing very well. Another flying under the radar a bit is Urho Vaakanainen.

If all the best D are gone by our pick then a very good C will still be there.
"Mono"? Every year there is a very good value pick with mono. I believe Lowry had mono his draft year as well. Last year there was a very good pick as well (name escapes me) who was is one of the better players from the draft.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Flair Hay

Quote:

Seems like a good player but wanting him over Foote seems like a stretch.

Worst case scenario would be all centers and defense go ahead of us. But i doubt that will happen. We don't really need skilled middle six playmaking wingers the way some other teams might.

My guess is we take Valimaki if he's there and if he's gone Foote. Heiskanen and Makar I expect to be gone. Could be a forward but I really doubt it...

Old
04-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Players that are late birthdays in draft years tend to get more scrutiny and fall in drafts and maybe rightfully so.

An example would be Couturier fell in his draft year. While still a good player, He never lived up to the hype
I haven't looked at it too closely in relation to past years but it really seems like a lot of the high rated players this year are late birthdays.. Kinda wonder if that's also part of the reason its thought of as a weaker draft.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
MardyBum

Yeah, everyone is basing their opinion off one gif.

That must be it.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:29 AM
JetBlue420

I'd take Brannstrom at this point over Foote because Foote is RHD is he not? That might not matter but... I dunno, Buff Trouba Myers Poolman (yeah that's it) but then you go over the LHD side and what you got really? Morrissey, an aging Toby, Stuart,Chiaort, Stanley,Niku who isn't even signed...

All things considered, I'd probably take the LHD in hopes of him replacing the very rapidly aging and declining Enstrom in a year or 2.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:53 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
That is my worst case scenario right there. Do you think TNSE will take Foote over Liljegren? I assume so at this point although its probably more likely they have a forward (hopefully centre) as BPA at 12 if all three of those D men are gone.
I'm right off of Liljegren and just not convinced about Makar so I hope both are gone before our pick.

I have 8 C's, 7 D and 7 'Don't Wants' who could all be picked before our turn or close after. A couple of the Don't Wants are probably taken before our turn. That leaves 6 from the first 2 columns that will still be available when we pick. I could have put Makar in the Don't Want column but he is almost guaranteed to be gone before 12.

CentresDefensemenDont Want
PatrickHeiskanenRasmussen
HischierMakarTippett
VilardiValimakiTolvanen
MittelstadtHagueKostin
GlassFootePoehling
PetterssonVaakanainenPopugaev
NecasBrannstromLiljegren
Suzuki  

With the ones almost certain to have gone before us eliminated from the list we get a better idea of what we would be picking from. I've scratched out 10 of the 11 who will go before us. Even if Rasmussen and Tippett don't go, 8 of the spots are filled. We still have 3 good C's and 4 D on the list. I would be at least satisfied, if not joyful with any 1 of those last 7 and at worst, we have 4 of them left to choose from.

CentresDefensemenDont Want
PatrickHeiskanenRasmussen
HischierMakarTippett
VilardiValimakiTolvanen
MittelstadtHagueKostin
GlassFootePoehling
PetterssonVaakanainenPopugaev
NecasBrannstromLiljegren
Suzuki  

Edit: If I just arbitrarily eliminate the next 2 D and 1 C we still have Necas, suzuki, Vaakanainen and Brannstrom left. Those 2 C's are very tempting but I take Vaakanainen and run.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 04-21-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old
04-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus23 View Post
"Mono"? Every year there is a very good value pick with mono. I believe Lowry had mono his draft year as well. Last year there was a very good pick as well (name escapes me) who was is one of the better players from the draft.
Yes, but I don't think I want to draft a kid just because he had mono. By itself mono contributes very little to later performance.

Liljegren could still live up to his earlier lofty assessments but I don't want to take the risk. Players who lack the IQ are usually poor value and I've seen several people noting a weakness there in Liljegren. That too could be traced to the lingering effects of mono but I would rather take someone else at 12.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:07 PM
JetBlue420

So, Let's pretend we pull a rabbit out of the head and win one of the lotto spots, for arguments sake, Let's say we win pick 3....

Glass? Heiskanen? Who do you take.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Hockeyisl1fe

Quote:

Karlsson was also a pretty fine mid round guy. Not that I think Brännström has Karlsson's potential, but he has put up better numbers in the Superelit and has more points/games played in the SHL than Karlsson in his draft year. Not to mention he is born in september + a captain for his team. If a guy like Julius Honka has been picked at #14, why not Brännström at #12?

Old
04-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
So, Let's pretend we pull a rabbit out of the head and win one of the lotto spots, for arguments sake, Let's say we win pick 3....

I'd be doing backflips for either. My own non scouting opinion would be Heiskanen. But I'd be thrilled to get Glass too.

Last edited by Huffer: 04-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old
04-21-2017, 12:34 PM
JetBlue420

I feel Brannstrom at 12 is really similar to Morrissey at what? 13 was it? i think so... So yeah, i don't have a problem with Brannstrom at 12 at all. People can try to find faults in these guys and for sure will find them, they all have their faults... But you know what, the kid is young and he looks darn good, I think he might just end up being the steal of the draft. I'd take him over Makar if both were available when the Jets pick.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Maukkis
ScheifElite

Quote:

I, for one, would grab a beer and scream loudly.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:43 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

Love them both. Don't think we'd be going wrong with either, but it's Heiskanen for me.

Closed Thread