Laine 5.33
Scheifele 5.27
Petan 5.22
Lowry 5.22
Ehlers 4.94
Stafford 4.70
Dano 4.53
Armia 3.62
Wait wait wait, so you're saying Lowry actually doesn't suck in the powerplay?!?!

Weezeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezeric View Post
Wait wait wait, so you're saying Lowry actually doesn't suck in the powerplay?!?!
Well he was below average on a below average team while playing primarily on the best unit, but he wasn't the worst ever like some made it out to be.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:00 PM
ffh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
I find it somewhat interesting that people when creating lines are ignoring the Maurice factor.... Lol at Dano or Petan who in Maurices mind couldn't even beat out Thorburn or Tanev for a spot at the end of the year being on this team next season, not a chance, think it's fairly obvious one if not both are Gone and likely to Vegas. I mean, c'mon with Petan, i know he's everyones favorite here for some reason, possibly due to what he did in Junior but in reality, Maurice wouldn't even play him over Plugs... so basically, Petan has no future with the Jets, that's fairly obvious when you actually think about it.

Heres how i see things shaking up....

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Little Laine

Connor Lowry (Maurices BFF) Armia

Matthias Copp UFA Signing (Possibly a PK type of guy or if they want some muscle or "Grit" i suppose you can say, I think Lemieux is a real possibility as Maurice seemed to be quite high on him)

I think Roslovic starts with the Moose, i think he's callup number 1 if an injury occurs tho.

As for the D?

No idea really and at this point, I'm not convinced that Both Trouba and Myers will be on the opening day roster next season.
I actually agree with all of this. only we will get 2 fa for the forth line to go with mathias and copp with 1 of the 4 sitting in press box. with all the money coming of the books this should be easy to do. we don't have to fill every position in house with players who are not ready or good enough to play from day 1.

ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:43 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I find it somewhat interesting that people when creating lines are ignoring the Maurice factor.... Lol at Dano or Petan who in Maurices mind couldn't even beat out Thorburn or Tanev for a spot at the end of the year being on this team next season, not a chance, think it's fairly obvious one if not both are Gone and likely to Vegas. I mean, c'mon with Petan, i know he's everyones favorite here for some reason, possibly due to what he did in Junior but in reality, Maurice wouldn't even play him over Plugs... so basically, Petan has no future with the Jets, that's fairly obvious when you actually think about it.

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Little Laine

Matthias Copp UFA Signing (Possibly a PK type of guy or if they want some muscle or "Grit" i suppose you can say, I think Lemieux is a real possibility as Maurice seemed to be quite high on him)

I think Roslovic starts with the Moose, i think he's callup number 1 if an injury occurs tho.

As for the D?

No idea really and at this point, I'm not convinced that Both Trouba and Myers will be on the opening day roster next season.
I find people trying to read into the minds of coaches interesting.

Yes, Maurice did play Thorburn in favour of Dano and Petan, with them in the pressbox, but he also played Dano and Petan in favour of Thorburn with him in the pressbox at points this season also.

What I find far more interesting is that almost always Thorburn was given the least amount of EV TOI...

What this tells me is that Maurice didn't' think Thorburn was a better hockey player than Petan or Dano, but he thought that Thorburn was necessary despite being a worse hockey player.

This sounds a lot more sensible, although I view it to still be wrong, than thinking Thorburn actually was better than those two.

Old
04-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

Yes, Maurice did play Thorburn in favour of Dano and Petan, with them in the pressbox, but he also played Dano and Petan in favour of Thorburn with him in the pressbox at points this season also.

What I find far more interesting is that almost always Thorburn was given the least amount of EV TOI...

What this tells me is that Maurice didn't' think Thorburn was a better hockey player than Petan or Dano, but he thought that Thorburn was necessary despite being a worse hockey player.

This sounds a lot more sensible, although I view it to still be wrong, than thinking Thorburn actually was better than those two.
I think this is very good insight. It's the same reason that players like Martin and Reaves have roster spots for good coaches on good teams.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Sixty Minute Man

Quote:
There were some talk about Jets' on PK... Here's what I got for 2015-17:

Player xGD
Morrissey -3.95
Byfuglien -4.98
Chiarot -5.43
Enstrom -5.63
Myers -5.90
Trouba -5.94
Stuart -6.79

Careful, Morrissey has less sample as the rest.

Player xGD
Scheifele -3.8
Wheeler -4.82
Copp -4.88
Stafford -4.9
Armia -4.97
Matthias -4.98
Thorburn -5.7
Lowry -5.95
Little -5.96
Tanev -7.81
What's league average and what's top end?

Sixty Minute Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
I actually agree with all of this. only we will get 2 fa for the forth line to go with mathias and copp with 1 of the 4 sitting in press box. with all the money coming of the books this should be easy to do. we don't have to fill every position in house with players who are not ready or good enough to play from day 1.
Assuming that Connor makes the jump, our 4th line will be pretty strong. A free agent would make it even stronger. Depends on if they think Petan and Roslovic are good enough.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:

This is very well said and pretty much what I was thinking. Though it doesn't necessarily explain Tanev.

I still think that Chevy has had enough trade discussions on Dano, that once he proved himself healthy from his injury, they rested him the remainder of the season.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:32 PM
surixon

Quote:

Interesting thoughts. It still does seem odd though that as the year went on he focused less on icing 3 scoring lines and more towards what he's traditionally run in a top 6, checking third and Rome players on the 4th. I don't doubt that he knows that Thorburn isn't good, ditto for Stuart bit he still was fine trotting Stuart out on the PK :s.

As your numbers indicate (yeah small sample size) Morrissey should have been a mainstay on the PK far earlier. But perhaps that was an organization oversite as I don't recall him being prepped for that type of role in the AHL last year. Perhaps his strong play defensively early as well as your work with regards to what they should be looking for in a dman really opened the organizations eyes and they start to rate the right traits more strongly and not pigeon hole smaller skilled dmen into offensive only roles.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:50 PM
voyageur
The watchful one

Quote:
There were some talk about Jets' on PK... Here's what I got for 2015-17:

Player xGD
Morrissey -3.95
Byfuglien -4.98
Chiarot -5.43
Enstrom -5.63
Myers -5.90
Trouba -5.94
Stuart -6.79

Careful, Morrissey has less sample as the rest.

Player xGD
Scheifele -3.8
Wheeler -4.82
Copp -4.88
Stafford -4.9
Armia -4.97
Matthias -4.98
Thorburn -5.7
Lowry -5.95
Little -5.96
Tanev -7.81
Can you break those numbers down to last season only to get a clearer picture? I wonder if Lowry is really that bad, or if the learning curve is finally paying dividends.

I also thought Enstrom was bad this year.

I think you outlined the need to have 3 solid defensive pairings so that key players like Buff can manage their minutes effectively while helping the team where needed.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:25 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Can you break those numbers down to last season only to get a clearer picture? I wonder if Lowry is really that bad, or if the learning curve is finally paying dividends.

I also thought Enstrom was bad this year.

I think you outlined the need to have 3 solid defensive pairings so that key players like Buff can manage their minutes effectively while helping the team where needed.
You'd get a less clear picture since sample size becomes so small the confidence intervals grows.
It's no coincidence that Morrissey has the most extreme results, one negative and one positive, because of ice time.
So, if you want to speculate how a player would perform next year, I'd suggest more along the lines of the previously posted tweets.

^error in title, it should say CD/60 and xGD/60 not CF% and xGF%

Old
04-21-2017, 04:54 AM
kelsier

Quote:

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Little Laine

Horrible. There was one working line as we already saw in the last games last year and it was Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler. Meanwhile there was zero chemistry between Laine and Little no matter how long they tried to force it and no matter who they tried to slot in the other wing. You cannot win in the modern NHL with one working combination. How they did it with the remaining games in the 16-17 was weird and I would even say lucky streak. If Laine, who was already the team's best goal scorer at age of 18 and the most promising prospect the franchise has drafted maybe ever gets buried into second line and second PP unit again, I think I'll just follow the highlights instead of watching the games. Also to be honest, with Maurice I kind of expect him to pull something like that again, so wouldn't be all too surprised. I truly hope that's not the case. Yet they stick with him season after season and from one disappointment to another. Go Jets! Yay.

If there's any cells in PaMo's head, he should slot Laine back to his original wing and try feed most out of his talents, rather than trying to suck it up with the vets yet again. Eventually it'll be Trouba situation all over again.

kelsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:04 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
Horrible. There was one working line as we already saw in the last games last year and it was Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler. Meanwhile there was zero chemistry between Laine and Little no matter how long they tried to force it and no matter who they tried to slot in the other wing. You cannot win in the modern NHL with one working combination. How they did it with the remaining games in the 16-17 was weird and I would even say lucky streak. If Laine, who was already the team's best goal scorer at age of 18 and the most promising prospect the franchise has drafted maybe ever gets buried into second line and second PP unit again, I think I'll just follow the highlights instead of watching the games. Also to be honest, with Maurice I kind of expect him to pull something like that again, so wouldn't be all too surprised. I truly hope that's not the case. Yet they stick with him season after season and from one disappointment to another. Go Jets! Yay.

If there's any cells in PaMo's head, he should slot Laine back to his original wing and try feed most out of his talents, rather than trying to suck it up with the vets yet again. Eventually it'll be Trouba situation all over again.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. The oddest thing we do on HFbaords is project line combinations and worry about them. Maurice is the blender king and line juggles constantly. Doesn't matter what combinations we come up with because it isn't static, it is highly dynamic even before you factor in injuries.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:16 AM
armyjoe

Quote:

I'm hoping Laine after healthy offseason would be able to drag little and make that line 1b line for the Jets. Atleast I'm okay if they try it at start of the season and if it doesnt work then put laine back to sceiffs wing. Hopefully he will be playing LW too.

armyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Sabrenator

Quote:

^error in title, it should say CD/60 and xGD/60 not CF% and xGF%
Does GA60 & OppGA60 & OppGF% mean anything?

Last edited by Sabrenator: 04-21-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Sabrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:57 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:

First off Laine got more optimal usage than any previous Jets 2.0 Rookie. He spent the entire season in the top 6 and his fair share of PP time. Far more then Scheif did as a rookie for example. Wheeler was by far our best winger down the stretch and like last season can really get in a groove with Scheif. IMO because they are effective off the rush as well as off the cycle. And whatever winger Mo put with them also produced well with the volume of chances they produced. My thoughts is Mo rode his captain and rising #1 C down the stretch as an example to the rest of the team. Night in and night out even after we were out of the race they busted their *****.

But Little is no slouch to play with and neither is MP both of which scored at near a point a game pace over the last 1/4 of the season. In all honesty I'd lay a little bit of it on Laine. like many NHL rookies he started to lose steam down the stretch and looked gassed a lot of nights. He was also then prone to more giveaways in the d-zone and neutral zone. The one thing I really hope is Laine doesn't take the attitude that he didn't get a fair shot and the coach should always put him with the best center and he should always be on the #1 PP. That he should be gifted these things because he is a star. Instead I hope he paid close attention to how Wheeler played down the stretch. How he still carried a team with no hope at the playoffs.

I have little doubt that in a couple years time Laine will be leaned on hard as we make playoff runs, and that him, Scheifele and Ehlers will be going over the boards in any and all situations...but he still needs to become that player. Once he becomes the player Wheeler is he will be scoring 50-60 goals a season as he is a far better natural goal scorer.

Saying that I expect Laine to be reunited with Scheifele to start the season and as long as he fills the net and cleans up his defensive game he will get more and more opportunities.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:19 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
First off Laine got more optimal usage than any previous Jets 2.0 Rookie. He spent the entire season in the top 6 and his fair share of PP time. Far more then Scheif did as a rookie for example. Wheeler was by far our best winger down the stretch and like last season can really get in a groove with Scheif. IMO because they are effective off the rush as well as off the cycle. And whatever winger Mo put with them also produced well with the volume of chances they produced. My thoughts is Mo rode his captain and rising #1 C down the stretch as an example to the rest of the team. Night in and night out even after we were out of the race they busted their *****.

But Little is no slouch to play with and neither is MP both of which scored at near a point a game pace over the last 1/4 of the season. In all honesty I'd lay a little bit of it on Laine. like many NHL rookies he started to lose steam down the stretch and looked gassed a lot of nights. He was also then prone to more giveaways in the d-zone and neutral zone. The one thing I really hope is Laine doesn't take the attitude that he didn't get a fair shot and the coach should always put him with the best center and he should always be on the #1 PP. That he should be gifted these things because he is a star. Instead I hope he paid close attention to how Wheeler played down the stretch. How he still carried a team with no hope at the playoffs.

I have little doubt that in a couple years time Laine will be leaned on hard as we make playoff runs, and that him, Scheifele and Ehlers will be going over the boards in any and all situations...but he still needs to become that player. Once he becomes the player Wheeler is he will be scoring 50-60 goals a season as he is a far better natural goal scorer.

Saying that I expect Laine to be reunited with Scheifele to start the season and as long as he fills the net and cleans up his defensive game he will get more and more opportunities.
They busted their arse off for nothing basically. Yeah, there's no shame in that but I wouldn't be cheering glasses and celebrating either. While Maurice first priority was of course to keep he's job, in reality what he should have done is make tryouts and test different things for next season. But no, nothing of the kind. Also, those wins are meaningless come 2017-18, the team starts from the zero again and all that awe will be long gone. As should Maurice, but that's another story.

I think this is a little funny approach, thinking Laine might feel vengeful for being misused. I actually wouldn't and couldn't even blame him if he did. It was Maurice who twisted words and flatout lied about why he was casted in the wrong PP unit. You might expect that from a teenager but from an NHL coach with a long career? Like what the heck. Ok, everyone lies sometimes but to make up stories... that's just pathetic and how they tolerate that kind of stuff (I would guess Jets ownership being aware about public statements) goes beyond me.

Laine hasn't been given anything for free throughout his career. Even in Tappara he was forced to play with grinders in his draft season for the simple reason of spreading offence. Of course he didn't finish anywhere close to top point scorers in the league with limited TOI, yet his line mates happened to play career years. Now I'm still not expecting any handouts, and yes Laine had flaws in his game as any rookie would have playing his first NHL season, but if he comes in ready after finally being able to have a healthy off-season and gets rookie treatment or generally gets hindered, that'd be extremely idiotic and probably enough for me personally not to bother recording and watching the games after work (which I did for every single Jets game in 16-17). As for Little, he was great after the injury, but pretty much disappeared towards the end. Laine seemed like the only guy in the line who was producing any offence, apart from maybe one game where Little had 4 points or so. They never shared any chemistry and seemed to be entirely on different frequencies. Why on earth would anyone want to see that?

In the end it comes down to Maurice not being cut out for this job and seeing him behind the bench is a constant headache. Seems like it's the vets who run this team while Maurice being somewhere in the middle bowing to his players and his owners at the same time. I for one would be extremely curious to know the entire story about Trouba and what really happened there. The team is already about to lose one of it's best assets going further.

Sure, I hope you are right but at the same time I'm not expecting too much.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:44 AM
ffh

Quote:
They busted their arse off for nothing basically. Yeah, there's no shame in that but I wouldn't be cheering glasses and celebrating either. While Maurice first priority was of course to keep he's job, in reality what he should have done is make tryouts and test different things for next season. But no, nothing of the kind. Also, those wins are meaningless come 2017-18, the team starts from the zero again and all that awe will be long gone. As should Maurice, but that's another story.

I think this is a little funny approach, thinking Laine might feel vengeful for being misused. I actually wouldn't and couldn't even blame him if he did. It was Maurice who twisted words and flatout lied about why he was casted in the wrong PP unit. You might expect that from a teenager but from an NHL coach with a long career? Like what the heck. Ok, everyone lies sometimes but to make up stories... that's just pathetic and how they tolerate that kind of stuff (I would guess Jets ownership being aware about public statements) goes beyond me.

Laine hasn't been given anything for free throughout his career. Even in Tappara he was forced to play with grinders in his draft season for the simple reason of spreading offence. Of course he didn't finish anywhere close to top point scorers in the league with limited TOI, yet his line mates happened to play career years. Now I'm still not expecting any handouts, and yes Laine had flaws in his game as any rookie would have playing his first NHL season, but if he comes in ready after finally being able to have a healthy off-season and gets rookie treatment or generally gets hindered, that'd be extremely idiotic and probably enough for me personally not to bother recording and watching the games after work (which I did for every single Jets game in 16-17). As for Little, he was great after the injury, but pretty much disappeared towards the end. Laine seemed like the only guy in the line who was producing any offence, apart from maybe one game where Little had 4 points or so. They never shared any chemistry and seemed to be entirely on different frequencies. Why on earth would anyone want to see that?

In the end it comes down to Maurice not being cut out for this job and seeing him behind the bench is a constant headache. Seems like it's the vets who run this team while Maurice being somewhere in the middle bowing to his players and his owners at the same time. I for one would be extremely curious to know the entire story about Trouba and what really happened there. The team is already about to lose one of it's best assets going further.

Sure, I hope you are right but at the same time I'm not expecting too much.
actually little and Perrault were the only ones producing any points on that line not laine last 10 games or so. and the reason laine couldn't score wasn't because of a lack of chemistry but he simply he ran out of gas. which is why he couldn't do anything on pp either. I cant see how not playing against the teams best defenders hurts him with a 60 point centre.

Last edited by ffh: 04-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.
ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:32 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
actually little and Perrault were the only ones producing any points on that line not laine last 10 games or so. and the reason laine couldn't score wasn't because of a lack of chemistry but he simply he ran out of gas. which is way he couldn't do anything on pp either. I cant see how not playing against the teams best defenders hurts him with a 60 point centre.
Laine was definitely not out of gas. He seemed as fast in the last game as he ever did in the season. If you think they had chemistry, then I really have to question your memory or ability to notice such thing in general. There was none. Laine was creating chances on his own by shooting from pretty much anywhere because they were totally in a different frequency and the passing game wouldn't work.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:52 AM
JetBlue420

Quote:
Laine was definitely not out of gas. He seemed as fast in the last game as he ever did in the season. If you think they had chemistry, then I really have to question your memory or ability to notice such thing in general. There was none. Laine was creating chances on his own by shooting from pretty much anywhere because they were totally in a different frequency and the passing game wouldn't work.
I think it's obvious that he probably was out of gas a wee bit. I mean, i get it, and i like the kid also but let's just step back and realize that 1. He was only 18. 2. He played a ton of hockey the past year and a bit, World Championships,World Cup, NHL... he just turned 19, he's never played a full year of North American Hockey on the smaller ice surface... it obviously took a toll on him, rightfully so. He's not some sort of robot, he's human, It's no different than Matthews or any other rookie in the league, they have times and long stretches where they are just pooped, It happened to Laine, it happens to them all really.

Kid is a good player but he was a rookie, he was a rookie who wasn't very good defensively either, But he was a rookie so somewhat expected, if he can work on his D game a bit this off-season, he's gonna be an even better player but and i like the kid, for sure, he's a star in the making, he's not one yet tho but he's in the making but he definitely needs to work on areas of his game, just like all rookies do... just like every player in the league does... At this point, Laine is pretty one dimensional, he's an offensive Machine for sure, but his D zone and that's important in the NHL, it needs some significant work

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:07 PM
kelsier

Quote:
I think it's obvious that he probably was out of gas a wee bit. I mean, i get it, and i like the kid also but let's just step back and realize that 1. He was only 18. 2. He played a ton of hockey the past year and a bit, World Championships,World Cup, NHL... he just turned 19, he's never played a full year of North American Hockey on the smaller ice surface... it obviously took a toll on him, rightfully so. He's not some sort of robot, he's human, It's no different than Matthews or any other rookie in the league, they have times and long stretches where they are just pooped, It happened to Laine, it happens to them all really.

Kid is a good player but he was a rookie, he was a rookie who wasn't very good defensively either, But he was a rookie so somewhat expected, if he can work on his D game a bit this off-season, he's gonna be an even better player but and i like the kid, for sure, he's a star in the making, he's not one yet tho but he's in the making but he definitely needs to work on areas of his game, just like all rookies do... just like every player in the league does... At this point, Laine is pretty one dimensional, he's an offensive Machine for sure, but his D zone and that's important in the NHL, it needs some significant work
"One dimensional" and "out of gas" and I'm here in the Jets board. Jeez. Of course the kid has tons of developing ahead just like every other kid, yet to call him one dimensional because he doesn't partake in board battles at age of 18 is a reach and a seriously long one. He did not only score goals, but was an exceptional play maker and a hitter all season long. I guess you got no grasp of hockey if you cannot see these things. I'll take posts such as these with a grain of salt.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:10 PM
JetBlue420

Are you one of the finnish posters? Cuz it seems the finnish folks tend to not really know much about the Jets and are more so Laine fans, I mean, when i see things like Little sucked or Wheeler wasn't good, like you realize that you are so very very wrong right? I mean i get it, Laine is a national hero to Finland, that's cool but... when you throw out things like Little and Perreault struggled but Laine didn't, c'mon man. The finnish bias is showing for sure.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
10Ducky10

Our best young defensive players are Copp, Armia, Lowry and Scheif. Laine is somewhere at the bottom with Ehlers.

10Ducky10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:23 PM
bumblebeeman

vCash: 400
If Laine got a few more bounces nobody would say he was out of gas.

bumblebeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:22 PM
10Ducky10

He was out of gas. He alluded to it a few times in interviews towards the end of the season.

10Ducky10 is online now   Reply With Quote