HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

UPDATE 4/12 - Barclays Center pitch would return Islanders to Nassau Coliseum

Old
04-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
More so Kate "Don't Worry" Murray, the executive for Hempstead Town.

As for that route to Westchester County (likely Port Chester), likely extending the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway, the problem might be land acquisition costs in the ultra-rich northern part of the Town of Oyster Bay.

As for where an arena could be placed...Belmont Park still seems the best option---over-abundance of parking. The other likely site, near Citi Field, is one that could be problematic as that site close to the center line of the final approach path to Runway 31 at LaGuardia Airport if built on the east side, with less than 2 miles to the threshold. It could be built on the west side of Citi Field, but that massive parking lot would need to be turned into a multi-story parking garage first with direct highway access.
Belmont also has poor public transportation access from what I understand. Also I think those who support Nassau Coliseum, such as Kevin Law from Long Island Association, may stop Belmont from happening.

https://twitter.com/BrodskyRobert/st...11517026537472

To be clear Law has no official role here but does have the gov's ear and seems to be echoing the sentiments of Ratner/Yormark/Prokhrov

5:04 PM - 12 Apr 2017 (PDT)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ief-1.13450158

The operators of Brooklyn’s Barclays Center are preparing a pitch to bring the Islanders back to the recently renovated Nassau Coliseum, according to Kevin Law, the president and chief executive of Long Island Association, the region’s largest business group...

“Over the last two months, I have met with Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment, Islanders owners, I’ve met with the county and the state,” Law said. “What I just learned very recently is that BSE will be offering a plan to the Islanders to move them back to the Coliseum.”

Law, who has no direct role in the Islanders’ fate, is an influential advocate and business leader who frequently consults with Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Long Island-related matters...

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
I don't see how having the Islanders move back to NVMC is a good idea at all. It has by far the fewest number of seats in the league. I also don't know for sure, but I also don't see how they won't also have by far the least amount of suites. There is a reason why they wanted to leave the arena. If they just wanted a renovation, they would have gotten it years ago.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 10:23 AM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane One View Post
I don't see how having the Islanders move back to NVMC is a good idea at all. It has by far the fewest number of seats in the league. I also don't know for sure, but I also don't see how they won't also have by far the least amount of suites. There is a reason why they wanted to leave the arena. If they just wanted a renovation, they would have gotten it years ago.
They can easily replace the seating that they removed to bring it back to 16k, but the lack of suites is the main problem with the place. When this thing first started, I thought "a return to the coliseum makes the most sense, and that will probably happen in the end". This was before I realized how many more suites Barclays has in comparison; I knew the coliseum only had like 10 suites, but I had no idea that Barclays has 90-100 of them. I think thats the deciding factor in the whole thing.

Would it be more cost effective to get the coliseum up to snuff compared to building their own place? yea probably, but that ship has sailed unfortunetly.

bigtim1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 10:46 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
They can easily replace the seating that they removed to bring it back to 16k, but the lack of suites is the main problem with the place. When this thing first started, I thought "a return to the coliseum makes the most sense, and that will probably happen in the end". This was before I realized how many more suites Barclays has in comparison; I knew the coliseum only had like 10 suites, but I had no idea that Barclays has 90-100 of them. I think thats the deciding factor in the whole thing.

Would it be more cost effective to get the coliseum up to snuff compared to building their own place? yea probably, but that ship has sailed unfortunetly.
I guess the right people didn't have the foresight to know Barclays wouldn't work for them.

The Coliseum renovation (in regards to the Isles) is nothing more then a facade. As far as Hockey goes, it is the functional equivalent of the old barn, or worse considering the locker rooms look like walk in closets.

GrandmaSlices51631 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 06:27 PM
stranger34

the barclays experiment has been a horrendous failure. Back to LI!!

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 09:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I'd suspect the Islanders will NOT return and Long Island will get the Nets D-League team, that just finished its inaugural season waiting for NCMVC to be renovated for them.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 06:29 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
I'd suspect the Islanders will NOT return and Long Island will get the Nets D-League team, that just finished its inaugural season waiting for NCMVC to be renovated for them.
New arena at belmont park!

Old
04-18-2017, 08:23 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
The Nets are already a D-League team, don't get why they'd need a second D-League team playing elsewhere?

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
The Nets are already a D-League team, don't get why they'd need a second D-League team playing elsewhere?
Brooklyn, as most NBA Clubs own and operate, depending on the arrangement, a NBA D-League club, because NCMVC was being renovated, both teams shared Barclays along w/ the Islanders, the plan was to move the LI Nets INTO NCMVC, the name harkens back to the ABA version, when the Nets briefly had New York, then New Jersey.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
aqib

Quote:
Brooklyn, as most NBA Clubs own and operate, depending on the arrangement, a NBA D-League club, because NCMVC was being renovated, both teams shared Barclays along w/ the Islanders, the plan was to move the LI Nets INTO NCMVC, the name harkens back to the ABA version, when the Nets briefly had New York, then New Jersey.
I think he was making a sarcastic comment referencing how bad the Nets are. He forgot the

aqib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
The moment the developers opted to re-design the arena to save the $200 million, thus reducing the non-obstructed seats for hockey down from close to 18K to under 15K, the chances of Barclay's being a success for the Islanders evaporated.

Not sure what the NHL or the Islander ownership group (Wang) could have done to convince the developers to maintain the original design, aside from signing a lease agreement well before the plans were finalized.

Seems like such a waste to have to build another arena for Hockey, when basketball and hockey are perfectly capable of sharing an arena to the benefit of both parties.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Bood12

Long Island is a dead market, moving back to Long Island is going to ensure the 10,000 attendances again, minus the suite money that Barclays is getting, Barclays or any arena in Brooklyn is the Islanders only chance

Bood12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

And down the stretch they come -- Belmont -- in the lead.....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/...g-carton-wfan/

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
And down the stretch they come -- Belmont -- in the lead.....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/...g-carton-wfan/
He said they're dotting the I's and crossing the T's yet it's not 100% and it remains to be seen where it will be built, who is building it, and how much it will cost. This sounds like complete ********. What is being signed then?

Old
04-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane One View Post
He said they're dotting the I's and crossing the T's yet it's not 100% and it remains to be seen where it will be built, who is building it, and how much it will cost. This sounds like complete ********. What is being signed then?
I just post em, I dont write em...

I suspect they want to have everything zipped up before they make any announcements whatsoever.. Isles and their fans have been though enough in the past 10 years regarding arenas, that when they finally DO have something signed as far as a new arena, they want to make it complete and final.

At least -- thats what Im thinking.

The ole Coliseum would be ideal -- but that is doubtful for a # of reasons. I think Belmont is going to win simply b/c its state owned land and not NYC -- so there are less hoops to jump through. Having a train station going right to the arena is also a plus (and closer than Citifield area).

Whatevs.. Just get the hell out of Brooklyn.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Made Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bood12 View Post
Long Island is a dead market, moving back to Long Island is going to ensure the 10,000 attendances again, minus the suite money that Barclays is getting, Barclays or any arena in Brooklyn is the Islanders only chance
The Islanders get a flat fee from Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment. Suite sales proceeds go to BSE, not the Isles.

Made Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
I just post em, I dont write em...

I suspect they want to have everything zipped up before they make any announcements whatsoever.. Isles and their fans have been though enough in the past 10 years regarding arenas, that when they finally DO have something signed as far as a new arena, they want to make it complete and final.

At least -- thats what Im thinking.

The ole Coliseum would be ideal -- but that is doubtful for a # of reasons. I think Belmont is going to win simply b/c its state owned land and not NYC -- so there are less hoops to jump through. Having a train station going right to the arena is also a plus (and closer than Citifield area).

Whatevs.. Just get the hell out of Brooklyn.
What do you prefer? I honestly think going to Belmont is such a bad idea. Yeah the isles will control revenue, but will that matter when the team is bad and they are drawing 10k?

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
What do you prefer? I honestly think going to Belmont is such a bad idea. Yeah the isles will control revenue, but will that matter when the team is bad and they are drawing 10k?
doesn't matter where they play in NY, if they are bad they will have attendance issues. Same thing happens to all non-msg and non-nfl try state area teams.

There are too many other things to do in NY than to see bad teams or undesirable sporting events. The Mets are 11th of 15 in the NL in attendance right now and they have WS aspirations.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:38 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
doesn't matter where they play in NY, if they are bad they will have attendance issues. Same thing happens to all non-msg and non-nfl try state area teams.

There are too many other things to do in NY than to see bad teams or undesirable sporting events. The Mets are 11th of 15 in the NL in attendance right now and they have WS aspirations.
The Mets have that every year in April because of weather. Nobody is going to sit outside in that crap for 3 hours

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

So given that we know this, asking people to drive to the Queens border to watch hockey is going to be a tough draw. Long Islanders will like it, until their bad again.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:13 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
So given that we know this, asking people to drive to the Queens border to watch hockey is going to be a tough draw. Long Islanders will like it, until their bad again.
Traffic getting there for a weeknight game will be a complete disaster.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:35 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

What percentage of Long Islanders work in the city? Are Long Island and NYC essentially different places in close proximity or are the majority of the people on LI interacting with the city regularly?

In other words, do people for Roslyn to go on weekend vacations to Manhattan?

04-21-2017, 02:47 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Bettman officially said just minutes ago isles will put in RFP for Belmont also mentioned Citifield as another option. Please bring them home.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Traffic getting there for a weeknight game will be a complete disaster.
I can only imagine at this point. Looking at the map, the highway over there will be packed with people trying to get home.