HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Las Vegasí new hockey team struggling to sell media rights

Old
04-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Tekneek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
and Sport South is now Fox Sports Southeast.....
The channel you're referring to originated as Turner South. I am talking about the channel that is now Fox Sports South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Sports_South

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Brodie
voted best

Who televises 51's games currently? I'd think between them, the Knights, and coming things like Raiders press conferences and coach's/highlight shows that there would be enough content for a Vegas dedicated channel. Especially if it was just a sub-channel and could also show Jazz/Suns/Lakes/Clippers games.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 02:16 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

vCash: 50
Nobody broadcasts the 51s games on TV.

However, I imagine they could get involved in whatever happens with the Knights/Raiders. Between hockey, football coverage, and UNLV sports, the 51s might wind up out in the cold, though.

If the 51s ownership start making some real moves with their stadium, really try to get more involved in the community, and treat it like an actual team they could likely do some good things in the future. I'm guessing they'll have to hook up with a more local MLB team, though. People were much more interested in them when they were hooked up with the Padres and Dodgers than recent years and Toronto/Mets affiliations.

04-18-2017, 04:00 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 3000000
I heard tonight from someone on the NBC crew working Boston/Ottawa that Foley has a deal in place to bring in an existing NHL play by play man with over 30 years experience as that announcer now in his early 60's does not want to deal with winter anymore and Vegas appeals to him.

BattleBorn here is a hint - Bannerman!!!!!!

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:36 AM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

That would make my transition a little easier.

BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:48 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelines View Post
Well then he's a dumbass if he has no other revenue stream. People go to Vegas to do things they can't do else where. Whos to say there wont be a NBA team sometime soon.

He would have been better off dropping his money into a bunch of dollar stores on the west coast, he would have made a much better return.
No he's not. Hes filthy rich and he wanted a hobby. This team making or losing money will have zero effect on his lifestyle. Nobody pays half a billion for an nhl team in the desert without it being a hobby team.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:58 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Bluelines:

when was the last time the NBA EXPANDED, not sold/relocated any franchise ie OKC/SEA? THE NBA is non-committal to even Seattle getting its Sonics back, much less looking at Vegas.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:09 AM
CokenoPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I heard tonight from someone on the NBC crew working Boston/Ottawa that Foley has a deal in place to bring in an existing NHL play by play man with over 30 years experience as that announcer now in his early 60's does not want to deal with winter anymore and Vegas appeals to him.

Would hate to lose Foley but if it meant getting rid of Eddie... who knows.

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:12 AM
CokenoPepsi

Quote:
The Canadian version of the FCC (CRTC) has denied Canadian radio stations from carrying Red Sox and Bruins games in Atlantic Canada.

TSN 690 in Montreal wanted to carry Red Sox play by play and was told by MLB that Montreal was Toronto territory.

The Vegas TV market is at best worth $12M a year and that is pushing it.
What do most teams get? Are teh Sharks still pulling in 9 or 10 million?

CokenoPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:23 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

Yeah, okay. I'll believe it when I see it.

"Winter" has barely been a thing here since 2014 anyway.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:15 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Also, I seem to remember it can get a bit nippy in Vegas in winter, like highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s, the occasional cold burst with even cooler temps. I mean it's not Minnesota but it's also not South Florida.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

We get fairly cold in the winter.

Like you said, it's not Minnesota cold, but after a summer of 115 anything below 50 might as well be Arctic.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Spydey629

So checking in on this thread every so often, their English rights are still up in the air, but the Knights are apparently going to have a weekly radio game in Spanish:

http://awfulannouncing.com/nhl/vegas...s-spanish.html

Spydey629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:09 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Just as a side note, they're falling in to the City of Las Vegas vs Las Vegas Metro trap a lot of people have fallen into through the years.

The City of Las Vegas (which everyone looks up in wiki for demographics) is only about 33% of the Las Vegas metro area. There's actually around 550,000 people of Latino origin in the valley.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:40 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Just as a side note, they're falling in to the City of Las Vegas vs Las Vegas Metro trap a lot of people have fallen into through the years.

The City of Las Vegas (which everyone looks up in wiki for demographics) is only about 33% of the Las Vegas metro area. There's actually around 550,000 people of Latino origin in the valley.
Absolutely blows my mind that someone who works at a media website would look at the city and not the DMA. For anywhere.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

If Foley's gambit is turning Central Americans into hockey fans...ehh good luck with that.

Old
Yesterday, 01:55 AM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If Foley's gambit is turning Central Americans into hockey fans...ehh good luck with that.
and this attitude folks is why hockey continues to get beat out in tv ratings by american ninja warrior

joelef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:41 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
and this attitude folks is why hockey continues to get beat out in tv ratings by american ninja warrior
No, it's the attitude that wishing it is making it so and that you can turn anyone into a fan if you just have flashy enough PR which has caused the NHL to have never-ending sagas of troubled franchises and relocation controversies.

Hockey has been around Southern California for 50 years and they've had two franchises for over 20 years now and while there certainly are Kings and Ducks fans of Hispanic ethnicity those fanbases are still mostly white.

It's not that there's some genetic reason for that, it's that latinos already have sports they like and that play a big role in their culture. It's preposterous to believe that all it takes is good marketing to change their culture.

Old
Yesterday, 07:41 AM
Elephant Igloo

What, are the Golden Knights games going to be broadcast in Central America?

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Mathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
He's not wrong.

I've followed this aspect of sport for as long as I can remember.

All the cliched reasons sports exec give for [insert sport] succeeding in a place where there is little tradition of said sport completely fly in the face of evidence of how sports actually take root and grow.

Some might cite the NFL as the top-down approach having merit, but everything I've seen proves that it's very much a bottom up approach that's needed.

Unfortunately for sports execs, bottom up approaches are long, time consuming, and go against that old 'just show it to them and they'll convert' mentality that many of these supposedly intelligent people have.

Mathers is offline   Reply With Quote