HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Location and its role in attendance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2017, 09:33 AM
  #51
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 53,205
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
I recently visited Tampa and what struck me was how great of a location Amalie Arena has. It reminded me of Nashville which I visited two years ago where Bridgestone Arena also has a fantastic downtown location. I've not visited any other of the soutern expansion team's arenas but my understanding is that many of their arenas are not located downtown in the same way.

My understanding is also that Tampa and Nashville are widely regarded as the most succesful of the southern teams, not in Stanley Cups won but more in how they have brought fans to their arenas.

My theory is that the arena location has played a big role in the market success of these franchises. Do you agree or are other factors much more important eg. team success, marketable players, owners etc.?
Merged with a thread in the Business forum which asked exactly the same question.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
  #52
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
I recently visited Tampa and what struck me was how great of a location Amalie Arena has. It reminded me of Nashville which I visited two years ago where Bridgestone Arena also has a fantastic downtown location. I've not visited any other of the soutern expansion team's arenas but my understanding is that many of their arenas are not located downtown in the same way.

My understanding is also that Tampa and Nashville are widely regarded as the most succesful of the southern teams, not in Stanley Cups won but more in how they have brought fans to their arenas.

My theory is that the arena location has played a big role in the market success of these franchises. Do you agree or are other factors much more important eg. team success, marketable players, owners etc.?
Not sure if it is considered downtown, but Atlanta's arena was right near the Georgia Dome, the Coke Museum, Aquarium.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
  #53
RicFlairWoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Not sure if it is considered downtown, but Atlanta's arena was right near the Georgia Dome, the Coke Museum, Aquarium.
Speaks to the fact that on-ice success is important too. Predators used to have pretty lousy attendance even with their supreme location.

RicFlairWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
  #54
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 53,205
vCash: 1020
Atlanta's kind of a unique case among downtown districts, though, because of the way the city is laid out. It wasn't a bad location per se (I've seen that argument before and I disagree) but I wouldn't consider it to be primo real estate from a local citizen's point of view. It's more accessible to tourists in highrise hotels than it is to people who actually live there.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
  #55
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rinne's Glove Side
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
Nashville has very generous taxpayer subsidies. They shouldn't be mentioned alongside a real success like Tampa.
You mean like a 400+ million dollar taxpayer funded arena in Quebec?
Or 13 million dollar subsidies in Winnipeg. Are they a "real" success like Tampa??

Of course you know most of the "subsides" in Nashville come from taxes on ticket sales and that money is earmarked for arena upkeep.

Also to answer an earlier question the Predators ratings did a 6.9 last night with the 3rd period doing a 10.2


Last edited by Gnashville: 04-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
  #56
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 53,205
vCash: 1020
Taxpayer subsidies don't increase attendance, which is what that post is referring to.

How about we not have ANOTHER thread derailed by this exact same topic AGAIN.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
  #57
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,871
vCash: 500
If fans aren't having enough time to get to the arena after work because of the location, these teams should see a big bump in weekend games, when fans have time to get to the games and traffic isn't an issue. Any evidence of this?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 07:40 AM
  #58
Mathers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
It makes a huge difference. I believe it to be the most important factor, with a caveat:

Equally important is accessibility. Downtown location is ideal (for the simple reason that it is the focal point for populations living in all directions), but without requisite parking and public transport links, you won't maximize its potential.

Mathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 06:37 AM
  #59
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 3,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
I recently visited Tampa and what struck me was how great of a location Amalie Arena has. It reminded me of Nashville which I visited two years ago where Bridgestone Arena also has a fantastic downtown location. I've not visited any other of the soutern expansion team's arenas but my understanding is that many of their arenas are not located downtown in the same way.

My understanding is also that Tampa and Nashville are widely regarded as the most succesful of the southern teams, not in Stanley Cups won but more in how they have brought fans to their arenas.

My theory is that the arena location has played a big role in the market success of these franchises. Do you agree or are other factors much more important eg. team success, marketable players, owners etc.?

The fact that Tampa has hosted the Frozen Four twice says a lot, and I can tell you that after the latest round of FF sites was announced(the next five are in St. Paul, Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Boston), some expressed disappointment that Tampa wasn't included again. They wanted us back, that's for sure.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:19 AM
  #60
MickeyMelchiondo
Registered User
 
MickeyMelchiondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
For some, it is about getting there after work. I used to work in Manhattan. Guy I worked with was a diehard Devils fan. He worked Sunday-Wednesday from 8-6. He went to every thursday, friday, saturday game and on occassion would use a vacation/sick day to go another night. He would go to all 41 games if he could. Problem was, by the time he left work, took the train back to his town in NJ, he could not make it to the Meadowlands for a 7:30 game. I left that company in 2001 and haven't spoken to him since. But, when the Devils moved to Newark, first person I thought of was him and if he was planning to go more often. He always said, if the arena was at Newark Penn Station, (it is across the street) the way MSG is over NY Penn Station, he would go every night.

Another friend of mine who was an Isles fan worked in Manhattan used to say the same thing. Could not get home from work on LIRR and get to the Coliseum without really hauling it. Hated arena food and fast food. He would not have time to eat something before the game. He lived in Western Suffolk County, so about an hour train ride home and depending on traffic, about an hour to an hour and a half to get to coliseum. (That included parking car, walking in, getting to his seat,etc).
I go to lots of Devils games simply because of the easy in-and-out with the train station right there, it's great. And for Nassau, almost never went, because it was such a pain to get to using public transportation.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:29 PM
  #61
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
If fans aren't having enough time to get to the arena after work because of the location, these teams should see a big bump in weekend games, when fans have time to get to the games and traffic isn't an issue. Any evidence of this?
I haven't looked it up, and I am going from memory but I do believe the Isles and Devils did have better attendance on weekends. What is odd is for a long time, the Rangers hardly ever played weekend games and when they did, you could get them cheaper than many weeknight games. It was an after-work crowd and those commuting into the city 5 days a week from LI, NJ, Westchester, Southwest CT, didn't want to bother going in on weekends. They were often on the ABC games in the afternoons and then Fox, but always on the road. Wasn't until 97-98 or 98-99 they started having some at home. They had a lot of Sunday Night games at home many years ago, but those even faded in the 80s.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.