HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread

Old
04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Paddyjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Why the hell would you find it sad? Sad that he's playing some exceptional defensive hockey?? I don't get it.
If you had known him the past 7 years you would understand what I mean by that. PK was a fun guy to watch on the ice, I can guarantee you. You would watch a game just to see him play. Mind you, I would bet that the current PK would please former coach Michel Therrien a lot more than the old PK ;p

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Why the hell would you find it sad? Sad that he's playing some exceptional defensive hockey?? I don't get it.
As others have said, he's living so far in Toews's head right now that he should be paying rent. I'm absolutely fine with the way he's playing.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:12 PM
LCPreds

This series, to me, really shows why Subban is better for us right now than Weber would be. And I say that while still enduring the pain of losing Weber.

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:15 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
This series, to me, really shows why Subban is better for us right now than Weber would be. And I say that while still enduring the pain of losing Weber.
Yep- 100% correct. He is absolutely perfect for our style of play, and as I much as I love him as a player, Weber is just not.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
Likewise on my end for the Habs. I mean, as much as I was happy to have the opportunity this week to sat in front of the TV and watch PK play, I feel that for Montreal Weber is what we needed.

Weird mix of emotions

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:43 PM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Subban has been a stalwart in this series. Yeah I still think he's injured because he has zero speed and is keeping things simple, and he takes forever to get a shot off, but defensively he's sound and has been helping the team. I don't care if he's flashy if they keep winning.
He's playing well defensively but from what i watched so far in this series there's really something off with his skating. From what i watched he's slower than he used to be. Subban is a lot of things but a guy who doesn't train out of ice he is not. Would not be surprised if he's still bothered by his back. Not enough to prevent him from checking his guy and playing his position but enough to hinder his skating abilities a little bit.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
He's playing well defensively but from what i watched so far in this series there's really something off with his skating. From what i watched he's a lot slower than he used to be. Subban is a lot of things but a guy who doesn't train out of ice he is not. Would not be surprised if he's still bothered by his back. Not enough to prevent him from checking his guy and playing his position but enough to hinder his skating abilities a little bit.
There's no way he isn't hurt. It's the only logical explanation. When he was out mid-season they were saying surgery wasn't necessary, so hopefully that's still the case, but it must not be too major if he played the last few months of the season and has been extremely good in the playoffs. Even if it's not the "good" Subban in the way that people are accustomed to seeing. I go to back to a quote I heard him say on the radio back in, maybe February but after his return from injury, where he said it was a little frustrating to know mentally what you're wanting to do but physically being unable to do it. That's quite possibly still the case.

Old
04-18-2017, 01:52 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
He's playing well defensively but from what i watched so far in this series there's really something off with his skating. From what i watched he's slower than he used to be. Subban is a lot of things but a guy who doesn't train out of ice he is not. Would not be surprised if he's still bothered by his back. Not enough to prevent him from checking his guy and playing his position but enough to hinder his skating abilities a little bit.
It wouldn't really surprise me if right after the playoffs he goes through some kind of back or neck surgery that shuts him down for months. I have zero evidence for this. I just feel like that's the reason it hasn't been addressed - that it's one of those issues that can only be corrected by surgery, and that having the surgery would require like 4-6 months or something of recovery time so he opted to wait for the off-season.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:27 PM
LCPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyjack View Post
Likewise on my end for the Habs. I mean, as much as I was happy to have the opportunity this week to sat in front of the TV and watch PK play, I feel that for Montreal Weber is what we needed.

Weird mix of emotions
That's what we call a good hockey trade.

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

This is all we need to know right now, kids:

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:55 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post

So awesome....

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post

Old
04-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

I noticed a little shot taken at Montreal this morning on "Hockey Central at Noon". They were taking about break out passes and Jeff Marek sp?? said "they once had one of the best at break out passes and he just got into the 2nd round".

He also said the EKholm was the best in the league at shot suppression, and part of that can be attributed to Pernell Karl Subban

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Tempfan99

Im a habs fan from montreal that has been following the preds this season cause i like subban and im happy they won (im not the only one from mtl) and its looking good!
Heres my take on subban (sorry for my english its not quite good, lack of choices of words)

Does subban have a personality probleme?
Yes maybe. But not quite as they pretend he does. I think montreal is a very hard market especialy when the team loses. Since the media talk about hockey none stop all year long they always have to talk about something so when the team loses the so called experts have to blame someone and subban was the perfect target. He probly didnt get along with all his teamates but who does? But the guy always talk in good about his teamates, never we've seen him in a scandal or badmouthing his teamates or the coaching staff. All the rumors comme from the medias. Yeah his personality probly get on some guys nerves cause he gets excited sometimes. There are ex-teamates that said good things about him the medias wouldnt give attention to that.

Was subban overhyped?
I guess almost every big name in the league is overhyped because u often see highlights of players from other teams and when u see them play a full season its rarely that impressif BUT that being said the subban ur seing this season is not the subban we the habds fans saw for years. Take 2min to see his highlight on utube. The guy has some skills!
to put it in context it didnt take subban long to make his mark with the habs and become the first D-man without a doubt. After his first season no one ever put in doubt that he was our first D-man even the media wouldnt dare saying something like that. And for those of you who wonder if Subban was overhyped because of his charity work or his personality actually the 10M he promised was after he got that big contract and also his personality was even a probleme except to the fans that love him. Lot of people hate flashy guys especialy in the hockey world. But the way i see it, hes keeping thing simple because there are guys on the team that can take the role of scorers. Wich makes me think i was right last year when people said he cant play solid defence. I thought he only tried to hard because the team attack is ****. But the playoffs is long so an injury can happen and preds fan should be happy the team has such depth cause if one of the top 4 d-man is out trust me subban will step his game up i dont doubt that. We often saw him play 35min games in mtl in the playoffs.

Is he slower than we thought?
Hard for me to say because i havent noticed that this season. Maybe, i only watched a few full preds game. In mtl never we talked about subban saying hes slow. I beleive theres a big chance hes playing partialy injured because u can clearly see hes keeping things simple and play solid in defence. But it could also be because preds d-men are very fast? I guess we'll only know at the end of the season.

What about weber?
I liked weber for years even before the trade because of hia incredible slapshot . When i heard about the trade i thought that weber was better and i was happy cause mtl kinda no longer deserve subban the way they treated him. But after seing weber play a whole season hes not as good as i thought. Slower than i thought and he plays like superman....and the puck is kryptonite. He doesnt like the puck u can see it. He rush his passes and it will give the control of the puck to the other team too often. But hes a very good leader and its the kinda of personality u want as a captain. As a fan a rather have subban but if i was a coach id probly chose weber. Easier to coach, doesnt take risk and a very good leader.

Subban/weber trade, who will win?
I can see ups and down on both side. No offence but the fans that say its a robbery eirher way dont know hockey. Even the so called experts in the media that says weber is a clear win are blinded. Imo we'll only have a winner if one of the tram gets the cup. Other than that the debate will go on forever. I dont care if its unfair because we dont care about regular seasons. People remember players/teams that lift the cup.

Tempfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Tempfan99

About 80% of hockey experts in mtl is anti-subban and about 60% of the fans are pro-subban but its pretty hardcore. Here we either like him or hate him. Rare are those who are indifferent. Fans on forums are talking **** to each others. Like u have no idea how the preds winning vs chicago has that big of an impact even in mtl lol. Habs fans trash talking to other habs fans because preds is winning and habs isnt doing well. Subbans army is working double shift right now. Ive been watching hockey for 25 years ive never supported a player like that or seen anything like that

Last edited by Tempfan99: 04-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old
04-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Legionnaire11
Go Vegan

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Tempfan99

https://youtu.be/ChFkUf_b2LU

Old
04-21-2017, 02:17 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
What a beautiful series that was by Subban (and Ekholm and the whole team.) We didn't want him to be an offensive dynamo. We wanted him to shut down the Blackhawks and frustrate them and man did he do that amazing job by him and Ekholm.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
What a beautiful series that was by Subban (and Ekholm and the whole team.) We didn't want him to be an offensive dynamo. We wanted him to shut down the Blackhawks and frustrate them and man did he do that amazing job by him and Ekholm.
I doubt it is BUT, if Subban's effect on Toews in this series is any indication of the way this matchup could go going forward, he's going to hate playing against PK.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:13 PM
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The Subban discussion reminds me a lot of the debates we would have about Seth Jones. He was expected (because of what we've heard about him before his arrival) to be this offensively-driven defenseman who was going to have some wow moments and put up big numbers. Then, once they got here, that actually wasn't often the case and we see a player much more defensively sound and responsible than we thought. I personally have no problem with it at all.
I watched a lot of Seth Jones when he played in PDX. He was a beast and I was thrilled to see him come to the Preds. Def happy with the trade though.

tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:02 PM
Captain Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempfan99 View Post
Ive been watching hockey for 25 years ive never supported a player like that or seen anything like that
Lots of Avalanche fans were created from Roy being traded there. Didn't hurt to be quickly validated.

Captain Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:11 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
Get your popcorn ready.

PK will shut down kane all night long and chip in offensively. He has another gear. I would be shocked if he isn't the Preds best player tonight and for their entire playoff run.

He was the habs best playoff player outside the Halak and Cammalleri one year. I'm excited to root for the Preds to come out of the west.
Well it seems he decided to focus on shutting Toews down instead of Kane...but it worked like a ****in charm!

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Subban looks great but I want to see him play more offensively. I'd heard he's slowed down a little but having watched the series he doesn't look like he's lost a step at all. He skates with the puck as he always has. He can still dipsy doodle it and has good speed. However, he's simplified his game and doesn't carry it as much. That's fine insofar as he's still really effective with it and is still controlling the play but I'd like to see him exert more offensive pressure on the play.

I'm rooting for Nashville and if the Habs fall out of it I'm hoping the Preds go all the way. You've already taken out Chicago in a sweep and if nothing else that is a huge accomplishment. Great to see Subban getting his due for his defense too. He's always been grossly underrated in that regard. And the best part about this guy's game is that he always steps up when it matters.

Good luck!

04-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I doubt it is BUT, if Subban's effect on Toews in this series is any indication of the way this matchup could go going forward, he's going to hate playing against PK.
In his rookie season Subban was matched against Crosby and drove him crazy. He did a serious number on him. He doesn't just play good D but he's also a serious pest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
It wouldn't really surprise me if right after the playoffs he goes through some kind of back or neck surgery that shuts him down for months. I have zero evidence for this. I just feel like that's the reason it hasn't been addressed - that it's one of those issues that can only be corrected by surgery, and that having the surgery would require like 4-6 months or something of recovery time so he opted to wait for the off-season.
He looks fine to me.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Pred303

vCash: 50
I wasn't convinced this was for the best when the trade was made. especially short term. I still think weber brings almost unique, near irreplaceable individual defenseman skills (toughness, leadership, PP, raw on ice command presence) that can't be understated.

My original worry with subban was primarily twofold. one, that his offensive abilities, puck carrying skilled would give us too many like skilled top 4 defensemen. an overlap of roles. and two, that he might not 'mesh' with his teammates and be a distraction in the locker room based on prior rumors.

As for that first concern, I think the first half of the season we saw some of that. a guy trying to find his role, with too much of an overlap. a guy trying to do too much offensively. the first half of the year we saw entirely too many giveaways, leading to breakaways and odd man rushes as a result of him trying to be too offensive. after the injury we have seen a completely different subban here. don't know if it's the injury itself, or whether he just flat out decided his role needed to be more conservative and defensive oriented. Whichever it was has worked out great for the team, he's been exactly what we need the last 30 or so games honestly. A guy who plays great defense and takes far fewer offensive risks. Honestly I have never been one of those guys that says "we should pair him and josi together". Personally what I love right now is the fact that this allows us to have two 25 minute a night pairs out there. two "1st pairs". with weber and josi paired we had to see 30-20-10 minute splits with our defensemen in the playoffs. I don't think it was an accident that weber-josi were flat worn down come game 14 last year. now we can legit play 25-25-10 every single game. manageable minutes for the long term. the two strong pairs also allow us to better match up against teams with two strong forward lines. don't think it's a coincidence that hossa's line has always hurt us in previous CHI series and didn't this time. because we had two equally strong defensive pairs to match up against their toews-kane lines.

as to the second one, personality wise. teams that are winning and playing well usually take a guy who is lighthearted and outspoken much better than when a team struggles. when a team struggles, personalities oftentimes really clash. I think that's what happened in montreal. everything was fine until they started struggling. once they did, PK's larger than life personality no doubt in my mind rubbed some the wrong way. we will see how that plays out in the long run here. if it goes continues to go well, I bet we see zero problems. and I hope it goes well for a very long time after this season.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote