HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hitting Girls

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2008, 02:32 PM
K-PAX*

vCash: 500
Alright Ti-girl you're obviously an exception if you're benching 175 and doing 39 chin ups in two minutes. That's ridiculously beastly, and with exception to the pull and press I'd be hard pressed to match those numbers at the moment.

You have to admit however you are not at all typical. Could you take a hit from a 13 year old bantam? Yeah. Could you take a hit from an 18 year old junior player? I don't know, even with your impressive physical resume I don't know. Your body is just naturally more fragile no matter how many pull ups you do.

It's a very difficult question, and if a girl dominates her female competition I don't think it's unreasonable to have her play with the boys. All I'm saying is that I'd never full force hit her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
why intentionally make a bad play just because she's a girl? what you're advocating is special treatment to those who want to be treated the same
Why would a stick check be a bad play? I'm not condemning throwing the girl up against the boards or pushing or shoving or any of the mucking that goes on. I'm talking about center ice checks and charging straight in for the body after a dump in or something or impactful along those lines. There are other ways to get the puck from the man or woman.

I don't know, I had to deal with playing with little kids all the time via the cut off date being on my birthday. Every other year I was always the oldest and usually the biggest player on the ice. Maybe I'm particularly good at stickchecks thanks to those years of never crunching the little midgets. I certainly didn't take it easy on people though.

Last edited by K-PAX*: 03-16-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old
03-16-2008, 05:24 PM
deanosaur

i would go just as hard regardless of gender. and thats not meaning pull scott stevens on everyone.
if were gonna start doing special treatment next thing you know the bad teams will start the game off ahead.
clearly if girls wanna play with guys
a) they can handle the hitting
b) theyre skilled enough
c) some girls hockey isnt too great and boys is more intense
d) they wanna make guys like k-pax look like a joke
e) all of the above.

Old
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
i would go just as hard regardless of gender. and thats not meaning pull scott stevens on everyone.
if were gonna start doing special treatment next thing you know the bad teams will start the game off ahead.
clearly if girls wanna play with guys
a) they can handle the hitting
b) theyre skilled enough
c) some girls hockey isnt too great and boys is more intense
d) they wanna make guys like k-pax look like a joke
e) all of the above.
I agree with all except the last two. I treat all the players on the ice the same, guy or girl. Because a guy doesn't want to hit me doesn't make me want to show him up.

03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Rickety Cricket

If they sign up for the league, they know what they are getting into. I play college club and we had a 4th liner who was a girl. She just went in, and did her job and never complained or wanted special treatment. She would get absolutely rocked during games and never once complained.

In adult league, the three women I've played against have all been hackers and slew-footers, I slashed one and she started saying "do you feel like a big man for hitting a girl." These are the ones that piss me off. I really feel that hockey should be gender-neutral. If you're on the ice, it doesn't matter what race/gender you are, just play the game

Old
03-16-2008, 05:57 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I agree with all except the last two. I treat all the players on the ice the same, guy or girl. Because a guy doesn't want to hit me doesn't make me want to show him up.
which two are you refering to?
the one about guys hockey being more intense, well i said that because the girls i know have said that guys is more intense so ya.

Old
03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Ulic

Obviously in real life there is an acceptable double standard when it comes to violence with people of different sexes. I really see nothing wrong with that.

However, as most of you have said, if you step into a sport there is nothing that sex alone limits someone from doing. The general preoccupation with someones sex bothers me. There really is no way to justify a separation of players by sex alone.

Old
03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
RobertKron

So if you're not hitting a girl because of a pre-conceived idea that she's frail and can't handle it, I'm assuming you'd never play physical on another team's top player who is playing with a known injury?

Old
03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish View Post
I never hit a girl...but I hit a midget once on the ice. What are the rules about hitting a midget?
Everytime you hit a midget an angel gets it's wings.

Old
03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
which two are you refering to?
the one about guys hockey being more intense, well i said that because the girls i know have said that guys is more intense so ya.
that girls want to make guys like Kpax look like a joke, and all of the above.

Old
03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-PAX View Post
Why would a stick check be a bad play?
lets say the guy who did the hit isn't the best at poke checks but better at laying out a hit to stop a forward. what you're advocating is taking the less effective maneuver simply because the opposing player is female, which is ludicrous

Old
03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
that girls want to make guys like Kpax look like a joke, and all of the above.
oh. those two were for ***** and giggles hahaha

Old
03-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Roy G Biv*

I absolutely demolished a woman into the boards and finished her by driving her helmet into the ice. This was because she slashed me earlier in the shift.

Her kids came running down to the glass screaming "Mommy! Mommy!". No joke.

I didn't know she was a she beforehand, but I doubt it would have changed my course of action. I'm 5
8, 135 lbs, so everyone is fair game.

Old
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
K-PAX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
lets say the guy who did the hit isn't the best at poke checks but better at laying out a hit to stop a forward. what you're advocating is taking the less effective maneuver simply because the opposing player is female, which is ludicrous
What are you, just standing still? Move your legs and make a play.

I've never played against a super skilled girl, though I've played against Div 1. college girls and stuff. I can say I'd have no problem breaking one of those girls up without laying a hand on her. And I got cut from juniors!

What kind of girls are you people playing against, olympians?

Old
03-16-2008, 08:04 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
i think i might be scared of ti-girl from now on.
Actually you know something, all the women I've played with or against- and I do mean all- are ****ing terriers on the ice. If I don't hit them, they'll hit me.

At the end of the day, while I'm a big guy, I'm not Scott Stevens. And they're well protected. I haven't hurt anybody.

Old
03-16-2008, 08:07 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
wow....does your momma LIKE you?
If my mother played on the opposing team in a check league, I'd put her through the boards (cleanly) if it meant us winning the game.

Old
03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
K-PAX*

No you wouldn't.

Old
03-16-2008, 09:07 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
What are you, just standing still? Move your legs and make a play.

I've never played against a super skilled girl, though I've played against Div 1. college girls and stuff. I can say I'd have no problem breaking one of those girls up without laying a hand on her. And I got cut from juniors!

What kind of girls are you people playing against, olympians?
Again, you're playing in a league game, and you know that the other team's top scorer is playing with a separated shoulder, and is barely able to keep going. Do you decide that you're not going to play the body on him?

Old
03-16-2008, 10:36 PM
XweekendwarriorX

what if the girl hits you? is she fair game after that or do we still gotta use that stick check?

Old
03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
K-PAX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Again, you're playing in a league game, and you know that the other team's top scorer is playing with a separated shoulder, and is barely able to keep going. Do you decide that you're not going to play the body on him?
Do I? Unless it's the state championship, no. I don't really care either way. At the end of the day he's still a guy and he decided to go out there and play when everybody knew what was wrong with him. His problem. Here's a question, when is a girl going to be the top scorer?

Quote:
what if the girl hits you? is she fair game after that or do we still gotta use that stick check?
Oh my goodness the girl hits you? Oh jeez, after you clean yourself up off the ice and you've gotten the appropriate medical care I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe start wearing dresses?

Old
03-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Ten

Don't care what the persons sexual organs look like, if they're stopping me from getting the puck, they're going to play the price.

Old
03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
K-PAX*

If by "play the price" you mean a swift pokecheck/sweepcheck and minimal body contact I agree.

Old
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
If by "play the price" you mean a swift pokecheck/sweepcheck and minimal body contact I agree.
ok nik lidstrom.

Old
03-16-2008, 11:04 PM
K-PAX*

That would make sense if I played against girls who could compete in the NHL. Fortunately that hasn't happened, and I suspect it never will.

Old
03-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Phoenix

I think it ultimately comes down to one word - respect...and that is something that everybody wants.
If you have respect for the other player on the ice, regardless of gender,weight, size, ability etc, you will treat them fairly.
When you step on the ice, you should only have to think about one thing and thats playing hockey. Trying to figure out whether a person is a girl or boy is ridiculous.
To me, just because you refuse to check a girl on the basis of her gender does not mean you respect her. To the contrary, it shows disrespect to her as a player.

Old
03-16-2008, 11:19 PM
K-PAX*

That is 100% true. And this is because more often than not, girls are awful at hockey. Hitting a girl is(or was, I don't play full-contact anymore) beneath me and proves nothing.

Closed Thread