HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Poor Koivu

Old
03-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
I think Latendresse and Koivu will make a killer duo next year after Tender's goes to powerskating class, imo Guillaume is the best finisher to play with Saku, Higgins always ends up behind the net and Ryder always misses the net, He's also alot more physical when he plays an offesnsive role, i think next year the Latendresse-Koivu-S.Kost will be a perminent one, that or Maxpac or a UFA signing, just someone who can skate and pass the puck

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 03:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Huge Koivu fan, he's been solid the last 2 seasons, but he also has had his struggles and at times he has looked worn down. I have to wonder how much he has left in the tank in terms of how much longer he'll play in the nhl. Will be interesting to see what happens when his contract expires next summer. Imo he's still a good player, had a career year points wise last season and he's been around the top 3 in scoring this year (markov/koivu/streit have been flip flopping over 3rd/4th/5th) so he's clearly still important to the team imo.

As of today, he's 1 point back from 13th all time scoring in our history and 6 pts back of 12th, so he could pass Dickie Moore this year although I don't think he'll reach 600 points this year, will be a nice milestone to reach next season and he'll pass one of my all time favorite Habs, Mats Naslund for 11th in scoring and become the highest scoring European born Hab. It's been great fun watching him over the years, he was one of the lone bright spots in some very bleek years.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 04:07 PM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
Playing a reduced role because he couldn't deliver right ?
No, because the Canadien's Staff we're not able to deliver decent players on his line for the past 8 years ?

At the end of the season, he will have 60+ points, as the center of second line, which mean less time on the ice, which is 10 points less then last year when he was on the first line, so now explain me again how is he having a < bad season > ?

Koivu is used on PP/PK and used in what i call the < Hero > line, if some of you ever noticed, Carbonneau likes to use Koivu/Kovalev/Markov/Streit/A.Kotsitsyn toward the end of < tight > games score wise.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I still don't see a poor season. Koivu doesn't play Top line minutes anymore, doesn't have a permanent line combination and does not play top power play minutes anymore. He's one year older, does not have a 30 goal scorer to his right and is still a Top 30 Centerman in scoring in the NHL.

What is the same with those statistics and what has changed, throughout his career?

His goal scoring count stays relatively the same while his assists are up and down. Saku has 15 goals with 10 games left to go, where he could certainly score 3 more without it seeming like a stretch of the imagination. In his three full NHL seasons prior, Koivu scored 20 goals. Koivu may miss the mark this year but not by much. However, his 38 assists seem thin compared to previous years. Why could that be? It certainly isn't Koivu making bad passes, as everyone here seem to unanimously agree.

Is Koivu regressing a bit? Yes. Is he having a bad season? No. Again, a bad season is going from 78 points in 77 games to a projected 43 points in 78 games (Marleau). That's a 35 point drop. Koivu is going from 75 points in 81 games to a projected 59 points in 81 games. That is a 16 point drop. More importantly, thats a drop of 10 assists (projected) from the year before. Ryder went from 30 goals last year to 13 goals this year. You don't think if Ryder was on Koivu's line all year and made the 30 goal total, Koivu wouldn't have an extra 10 assists?

Don't just post the data, analyze it.
I'll go further. It's not really fair to compare Koivu's totals to last year ONLY, when last year was his best year for points in the NHL. In fact, and quite ironically, people complained about him last year too. Saku Koivu's main problem is this: He is not Guy Lafleur or Jean Beliveau or some other icon of the NHL. Well, that's ok, I can still appreciate him for what he's done, especially knowing how hard he had to work to do it.

Right now, Saku's a lower-end first line centre or a top flight second line centre. No problem with me. And to those who think Saku complains about sharing the spotlight with other players, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, he pushed HJARD after last year to make sure that Bob Gainey would work to improve the team and not just blow it up and rebuild. Saku WANTED more good players around, and he is happy now that we have some.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Did you notice the way he set up Lats ? It was off the boards behind, and GL took it perfectly as it caromed in front of him. I've seen him hit Lats a few other times on that same pass. It lets GL receive the puck with some steam, and he has the hands to gather the pass in while in stride. Just one of those nice plays you see time to time.
I'm glad somebody else mentioned this. I mentioend it yesterday, but the Koivu haters will never accept that as a planned play. The genius of that play was it allowed Lats to receive it on his forehand as opposed to backhand.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm glad somebody else mentioned this. I mentioend it yesterday, but the Koivu haters will never accept that as a planned play. The genius of that play was it allowed Lats to receive it on his forehand as opposed to backhand.
Latendresse has some imagination in his game too. He's obviously a work in progress but you see that there's something there if you can develop it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Latendresse has some imagination in his game too. He's obviously a work in progress but you see that there's something there if you can develop it.
He simp,y has a finisher's touch, Higgins always ends up behing the net when he crashes, Latendresse knows when to stop, he has to use his big frame alot more to screen the goalie, but his stick is always on the ice waiting for a pass,i 've said it before, him and Koivu are going to make a killer duo one day

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Huge Koivu fan, he's been solid the last 2 seasons, but he also has had his struggles and at times he has looked worn down. I have to wonder how much he has left in the tank in terms of how much longer he'll play in the nhl. Will be interesting to see what happens when his contract expires next summer. Imo he's still a good player, had a career year points wise last season and he's been around the top 3 in scoring this year (markov/koivu/streit have been flip flopping over 3rd/4th/5th) so he's clearly still important to the team imo.

As of today, he's 1 point back from 13th all time scoring in our history and 6 pts back of 12th, so he could pass Dickie Moore this year although I don't think he'll reach 600 points this year, will be a nice milestone to reach next season and he'll pass one of my all time favorite Habs, Mats Naslund for 11th in scoring and become the highest scoring European born Hab. It's been great fun watching him over the years, he was one of the lone bright spots in some very bleek years.

I had 2 12 year olds help me shovel roofs yesterday, both huge hockey fans. Good kids, the type that are interested in the game's history. I promised if we could get finished by lunch, I'd dig out some classic game tapes. I showed them the Good Friday massacre against Quebec and the 79 G7 against Boston.

The 84 game, I had to smile watching Bobby Smith dig a puck out to Naslund who made a nice little pass to Shutt who buried it.

During the 79 game, Lafleur played one of the greatest periods I've ever seen, the 3rd. The kid actually commented on the difference between Lafleur in the 79 and 84 games.

If Koivu passes Naslund, he's accomplished something, Mats was a helluva player.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I had 2 12 year olds help me shovel roofs yesterday, both huge hockey fans. Good kids, the type that are interested in the game's history. I promised if we could get finished by lunch, I'd dig out some classic game tapes. I showed them the Good Friday massacre against Quebec and the 79 G7 against Boston.

The 84 game, I had to smile watching Bobby Smith dig a puck out to Naslund who made a nice little pass to Shutt who buried it.

During the 79 game, Lafleur played one of the greatest periods I've ever seen, the 3rd. The kid actually commented on the difference between Lafleur in the 79 and 84 games.

If Koivu passes Naslund, he's accomplished something, Mats was a helluva player.

Well Koivu is only 24 pts away from Naslund, so he should catch him next year. I became a Habs fan due to watching Naslund as a kid (was 11 in '86), just loved the way he played, how skilled he was with the puck plus he wasn't a big guy so as an 10-11 year old it was great to see a smaller guy have so much success. To this day the only jersey I own is a Mats Naslund jersey that I got when I was a kid, although it doesn't fit to well these days.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
for sure. Even on the 4th line he would show the occasional flash of creativity, but the problem was his linemates were incapable of finishing the play. I like th elines now, Higgins looked good with Grabs yesterday, and Lats has always produced with Koivu.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Those who have only ever played video game hockey and barely held a stick just don't understand how different it is to receive a real CRISP pass on the backhand compared to the forehand. Even for NHL players. Sometimes it's easy to forget that we can sit back and enjoy those great little details while many miss or don't fully understand.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

By the end of this season Koivu will once again have surpassed Ribeiro's best season with the Habs. I don't remember fans being too upset about Ribeiro's plunge from 65 points in 2003-04 to 51 in 2005-06, when he played on a line with Kovalev. At the time some of Ribeiro's admirers chose to call it the first line. Sad to say, this forum is still plagued with the old hypocrites and and has even attracted a few new ones. The only good news is that the old hypocrites have stopped bellyaching about Plekanec, the player at least one of them referred to as Poor Little Pleky. I guess some of these dogs-in-the-manger are still around but have decided it would be best to change their board names after they had to slink home with their tails between their legs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Well Koivu is only 24 pts away from Naslund, so he should catch him next year. I became a Habs fan due to watching Naslund as a kid (was 11 in '86), just loved the way he played, how skilled he was with the puck plus he wasn't a big guy so as an 10-11 year old it was great to see a smaller guy have so much success. To this day the only jersey I own is a Mats Naslund jersey that I got when I was a kid, although it doesn't fit to well these days.
Naslund was my favorite player too, the Little Viking! What a talent he was!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
By the end of this season Koivu will once again have surpassed Ribeiro's best season with the Habs. I don't remember fans being too upset about Ribeiro's plunge from 65 points in 2003-04 to 51 in 2005-06, when he played on a line with Kovalev. At the time some of Ribeiro's admirers chose to call it the first line. Sad to say, this forum is still plagued with the old hypocrites and and has even attracted a few new ones. The only good news is that the old hypocrites have stopped bellyaching about Plekanec, the player at least one of them referred to as Poor Little Pleky. I guess some of these dogs-in-the-manger are still around but have decided it would be best to change their board names after they had to slink home with their tails between their legs.
Amen - If I can point to one thing that has contributed the most to the Koivu hate is the media promoted Ribeiro love fest. I always suspected Ribs to encourage the Koivu rivalry through the media to serve his own benefit. I still believe that this is what finally punched his ticket out of town.

We'll see how Ribs reacts now that here is a new prince in town. His production has already suffered. Let's see if we start seeing the usually pouting. Armed with his new contract though, and without the protection of the local media, you might see a quieter Ribs.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
24 points away from Naslund(612) to become officially the most productive Hab of European descent,and he'll also certainly reach the top 10 all time in scoring for the Habs.(Lach with 623 pts)Only 35 points away to accomplish it.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
24 points away from Naslund(612) to become officially the most productive Hab of European descent,and he'll also certainly reach the top 10 all time in scoring for the Habs.(Lach with 623 pts)Only 35 points away to accomplish it.
But Saku will do this in a LOT more games.

Remember Naslund was in the top 10 scorers every year. A year I think he even finished 5th overall of the entire league.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Remember Naslund was in the top 10 scorers every year. A year I think he even finished 5th overall of the entire league.
He'll reach those milestones quite quickly next season.I also think he might attain 600 pts this year,only 12 points away to do it.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Quick - name all the players Mats played with....

Now do the same for Saku... get it.

Apart from one anomalous season, Mats was a point a game player while having a premier center (Smith) along side in an era were scoring was much more prevalent.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Koivu's already on the third line in my mind, Higgins with Grabovski and Kostitsyn is a way better offensive line than Koivu with Latendresse and Ryder, heh.

Anyhow, Koivu's washed up as a first line center and he's a borderline acceptable second line center nowadays on a team that wants to contend, it's like he took his final physical toll this summer and he's not the player he used to be.
Thank God, your not in Bob's shoes...you don't see tangibles needed for a good playoff run. I'll bet my bottom dollar Koivu will once again raise his game in the playoffs, he'll compliment Kovalev's raised game as well.

I've seen many a good passes from Koivu that haven't been buried this season, koivu is a playmaker first and foremost. If his linemates aren't burying the puck when given to them on silver platter, it isn't Koivu's fault.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote