HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry bigs up Komisarek

Old
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Don Cherry is definitely senile..

Was talking about Canucks Jeff Cowan too.. the guy is the most useless player in the nhl.. he was hyping him up to be a key part of the team.

The Komisarek video thing was good though
Normal for a guy who played a grand total of ONE game at NHL level. Cherry is frustrated since ages and is always praising the good old canadian boys who are barely NHL material.

On another note. He said that anyone immigrating from another country must claimed to be Canadian and forget about his/hel old country of origin.... he was saying that while he was dressed like an Irish green icon !!!

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:46 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
Nice of Don Cherry to acknowledge Komi's fine play this year. He said that he's a throwback to the way tough defensemen played in his day and even showed a little video montage.

This is the second week in a row that Don devotes part of his precious time to a Hab player. What gives? Is he getting ready to get on the Habs bandwagon for the playoffs?
He's getting ready for next year because CBC will be carrying Habs games instead of TOs?

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Normal for a guy who played a grand total of ONE game at NHL level. Cherry is frustrated since ages and is always praising the good old canadian boys who are barely NHL material.
It was a different time... there were only 6 teams in the league.... Lots of very good players got stuck in the AHL for their whole careers.... If Cherry had been 10-15 years younger he definetely would have had a long NHL career.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:26 PM
JrHockeyFan

Cherry is first and foremost an entertainment figure. I'm not going to say he doesn't know the game well because that would not be true. He has seen a lot of stuff happen at a lot of levels which makes him a good story teller

What I can't abide with is his instance that he picks all these players (like Cogliano) to be great because he has such a great knack for doing it. If he was such a great judge of talent then why did his OHL Jr Ice Dogs only get a grand total of 84 points in their first 4 seasons. Brampton came in at the same time and racked up 224 points in the same time-frame.

It probably didn't help that he refused to pick up any "foreign" players, although that meant somebody other than US and Canada

Let's just say Don's memory on "I told you so" can conveniently overlook a few failures

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
Nice of Don Cherry to acknowledge Komi's fine play this year. He said that he's a throwback to the way tough defensemen played in his day and even showed a little video montage.

This is the second week in a row that Don devotes part of his precious time to a Hab player. What gives? Is he getting ready to get on the Habs bandwagon for the playoffs?
I'll tell you the reason.........
There will be no precious Leafs in the playoffs

The producer of the show must be asking him to talk a bit of Habs because they will be showing Habs a lot in the playoffs - they got to build up some interest. There are a lot of minor fans that watch Don Cherry. These people probably don't even know Komi at all.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
Tsss... Done Cherry on Komisarek:

"Uh and... Komisarek good, most hits and blocked shots or something like that, it's written here...yup..."

He spends more time talking about dead soldiers than about the habs.
After completing a 7 month tour myself and after sending 22 Fallen Comrades home during that time, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you not getting Mr. Cherry talking about the Habs more. Sometimes I wonder what priorities people have in life?

Mr. Cherry may be many things, but his support of the Military is unfailing, which is something that we in the Military take to heart.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
After completing a 7 month tour myself and after sending 22 Fallen Comrades home during that time, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you not getting Mr. Cherry talking about the Habs more. Sometimes I wonder what priorities people have in life?

Mr. Cherry may be many things, but his support of the Military is unfailing, which is something that we in the Military take to heart.
Amen brother..... the fallen servicemen, whether they be in the military, or firefighters, or police officers, or coast guard.... whatever they may be are more important than some hockey players.

These guys give their lives to protect us.... 2 minutes out of the intermission of our hockey game each week isn't too much to ask.

Old
03-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Amen brother..... the fallen servicemen, whether they be in the military, or firefighters, or police officers, or coast guard.... whatever they may be are more important than some hockey players.
Cosign, the last part of Coaches Corner is always the best part for that reason.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Kinda makes you wonder if he's genuinely supporting the Military or that he's just making sure to butter up the Military so that he can maintain a large fan base. The guy is a businessman, he's proved it with line of hockey videos so i wouldnt put it past him.

I come from a Military family and i can tell you one thing: his support isnt unanimous. If you're a Canadian in the Forceswho speaks French well..enough said..

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Agreed without reservation. Even if you don't support the war, it is even more important that you support the guys who are there.

One can fault Cherry for a lot of things, but this isn't one of them

PS: Thanks

Old
03-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Kinda makes you wonder if he's genuinely supporting the Military or that he's just making sure to butter up the Military so that he can maintain a large fan base. The guy is a businessman, he's proved it with line of hockey videos so i wouldnt put it past him.

I come from a Military family and i can tell you one thing: his support isnt unanimous. If you're a Canadian in the Forceswho speaks French well..enough said..
I have a tough time questionning his loyalty to the military.... He's long been very vocal in his support.... I haven't heard of this non-support of canadians in the military who speak french.... I remember him praising the Vandus in the past.

If you wanna question if his support of the military is a business move, we can question his support of the leafs as being a business move too??

Old
03-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
...t.

If you wanna question if his support of the military is a business move, we can question his support of the leafs as being a business move too??
Well YES absolutely! Since the Leafs are the biggest market in Canada and he IS into selling things so... 1 plus 1 makes 2!

Come on: thats a no-brainer.. i mean is he going to align himself as a supporter of Montreal, or Ottawa who are both lesser markets than good ole Toronto?

The guy may be senile but he has good advisers...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Video evidence of this:

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:23 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
He's doing that so hopefully the ontarians will keep watching TV this year even is the leafs are out of the playoffs.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:43 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on the French thing. It doesn't matter to him whether it's a French or English speaking soldier, he genuinely feels for all soldiers and their families when someone is killed. Mr. Cherry is the honorary Commanding Officer at a Army unit based in Edmonton, so it's not like he just spouts off for the sake of maintaining a fan base amongst the Military community. Many of us shake our heads too when he says some things on air about Swedes or French hockey players and wonder what he might be thinking, but I figure it's his way of stirring the pot to keep people watching his show. But when it comes to the Military, I believe his feelings are genuine and not about any fan base support from English speaking Military personnel.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

These guys give their lives to protect us.... 2 minutes out of the intermission of our hockey game each week isn't too much to ask.
It has nothing to do with hockey, though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It has nothing to do with hockey, though.
Noone said it had anything to do with hockey... nor does it need to.

The guy has one of the most popular segments on Canadian TV... its on once a week, every saturday night..... So what if a dozen times a year he takes 30secs-1min out of his 5 minute segment to talk about Fallen Servicemen?? Those guys deserve that, and a whole lot more.

Old
03-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

The guy has one of the most popular segments on Canadian TV... its on once a week, every saturday night..... So what if a dozen times a year he takes 30secs-1min out of his 5 minute segment to talk about Fallen Servicemen?? Those guys deserve that, and a whole lot more.
Well I don't care for it.

It was nice at first when Canada just went to Afganistan. But then he started to salute the soldiers at every deaths. Then it was at every one of their arrivals and departures. Then he switched to firemen and policemen. Then he started to do it every week. I swear my brother is a policemen and the next time time he scratch his back Cherry is gonna talk about it.

I mean at first it was nice but now if feels fake and phony. To me it feels like it's more about promoting patriotism than any sorts of good-will gestures.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:53 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well I don't care for it.

It was nice at first when Canada just went to Afganistan. But then he started to salute the soldiers at every deaths. Then it was at every one of their arrivals and departures. Then he switched to firemen and policemen. Then he started to do it every week. I swear my brother is a policemen and the next time time he scratch his back Cherry is gonna talk about it.

I mean at first it was nice but now if feels fake and phony. To me it feels like it's more about promoting patriotism than any sorts of good-will gestures.
I am going to side with you on this one.

Don't get me wrong guys, what Don does by giving tribute to these guys is great.

When I sit down on a Saturday night, with a nice cold beer hoping to watch a good hockey game, i DO NOT want to be reminded of all the crap thats going on in the world, I have CTVNewsnet and CNN for that, thank you. We watch you to talk about ****ing hockey, period, i am watching a hockey game.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:00 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I seldom watch the segment, sometimes I switch over, but I lose inetrest before the glut of commercials ends. When I do see it, he always includes mention of fallen servicemen. I agree that that the mention, or tribute is desreved and probably appreciated, and for that reason, I would never criticize it. If it puts a smile on a few faces, fine. I do find myself wincing at its constant inclusion, but really, it's not about me, so....

I don't like Cherry. I find he reminds me of a generation ago where people couldn't be bothered learning about anyone different themselves, or show enough respect to pronounce their name properly. If I knew him, I'd bet that he isn't nearly as extreme as he shows himself to be on television, but that's just a suspicion.

I don't doubt for a second that he's in any way less than genuine in the causes that he supports. Like I said, I'm not a fan, but he doesn't pander to the military, police or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I am going to side with you on this one.

Don't get me wrong guys, what Don does by giving tribute to these guys is great.

When I sit down on a Saturday night, with a nice cold beer hoping to watch a good hockey game, i DO NOT want to be reminded of all the crap thats going on in the world, I have CTVNewsnet and CNN for that, thank you. We watch you to talk about ****ing hockey, period, i am watching a hockey game.
While I agree to an extent, if someone in a bad sitaution on the other side of the world, gets a kick, or morale boost out of it, or it's an appreciated reminder of home, I don't think listening to it is much of a sacrifice.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-17-2008 at 11:47 AM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
While I agree to an extent, if someone in a bad sitaution on the other side of the world, gets a kick, or morale boost out of it, or it's an appreciated reminder of home, I don't think listening to it is much of a sacrifice.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong.. I understand how people could support what he does, its truely an honorable thing to do. Its very respectful/patriotic. I just don't feel the need to see it during a hockey game, I don't watch too much CBC though so it doesn't bother me too much.

I'd rather put up with the ramblings of Pedneault.. I know, I know..

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong.. I understand how people could support what he does, its truely an honorable thing to do. Its very respectful/patriotic. I just don't feel the need to see it during a hockey game, I don't watch too much CBC though so it doesn't bother me too much.

I'd rather put up with the ramblings of Pedneault.. I know, I know..
We pretty much agree on this one.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
He spends more time talking about dead soldiers than about the habs.

That is an ignorant and disrespectful thing to say.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-17-2008 at 12:09 PM.
FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Mont Royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I hope you guys realize that Cherry has been clamoring for the past few years that Lecavalier is the best forward and Luongo the best goalie. He has high praise for Sundin and Koivu.
Actually, from what I've heard, he doesn't have much use for Sundin, and has criticized him a few times for not blocking shots (not necessarily always mentioning him by name, but it's clear who he's talking about). I also believe his praise of Lecavalier and Iginla as 'real' hockey players and not just scorers is a veiled criticism of Sundin.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with your point - Cherry is likely not as bigoted as many believe. It's part of his pro-Canadian schtick, which unfortunately takes an anti-European tone on occasion.

Also unfortunate is the fact that he's not above pandering to the Leaf audience (the Komisarek feature was probably a CBC suggestion to throw a bone to Habs fans, and Cherry reluctantly agreed). Anybody who says, as Cherry did, that "the Leafs would've won easy" if only they had made it to the '93 finals against the Habs is not to be taken seriously.

Mont Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
JrHockeyFan

I am not a fan of Cherry but it continues to amaze me how many folks complain about the content of his show. If you don't like him or what he says, or object to the salute to servicemen of all stripes, why are you watching?

I seriously believe some folks only watch the segment so that they can complain about it. And to a degree that includes me too.

However, the show is Don Cherry's and has been for a very long time. It's not like he is going to surprise anybody with his opinions on just about anything. But to watch and complain about saluting servicemen makes zero sense. The guy is clearly sincere about it whether you agree about it or not. So why not give those guys and their families their small slice of recognition after paying the supreme price and quit moaning about it. Is that too much to ask?