HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Addressing leadership and Power Play.

Old
03-15-2008, 10:26 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Addressing leadership and Power Play.

Well we were spoiled for a while having possibly the greatest leader in all of sports in Mess but I don't think of Jagr as a captain at all. As a matter of fact, I think he needs a real captain. IDK maybe Drury?? As far as the power play goes, I'm sorry if ever for one minute I took Brian Leetch for granted. Straka can't seem to quarterback it. Rosival either. Maybe Backman. I'm not joking either. IDk, Renney cant even figure it out. When will that kid Sanguinetti get here?? Maybe he's the answer. But how they play 5 on 5 is how they should play the pp. These guys are looking too much for that perfect pass.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:02 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn9agny94 View Post
Well we were spoiled for a while having possibly the greatest leader in all of sports in Mess but I don't think of Jagr as a captain at all. As a matter of fact, I think he needs a real captain. IDK maybe Drury?? As far as the power play goes, I'm sorry if ever for one minute I took Brian Leetch for granted. Straka can't seem to quarterback it. Rosival either. Maybe Backman. I'm not joking either. IDk, Renney cant even figure it out. When will that kid Sanguinetti get here?? Maybe he's the answer. But how they play 5 on 5 is how they should play the pp. These guys are looking too much for that perfect pass.
I agree. Backman can absolutely be a point man. I really wish we had Campbell. The guy is a beast. Get sjostrom on the powerplay. Get dubinsky off it.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:29 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I agree. Backman can absolutely be a point man. I really wish we had Campbell. The guy is a beast. Get sjostrom on the powerplay. Get dubinsky off it.
Backman can absolutely not be a point man. THat said, neither can anyone else. Staal doesn't quite have the vision for it I don't think. I think Rozy is the best answer and he's far from perfect.

And I wouldn't go too nuts over guys like Campbell. Campbell is not good even strength and I would ALWAYS take a better even strength defenseman over a better powerplay QB/ worse even strength guy.

Sjostrom is not good enough for the powerplay either.

Renney just has to try to something completely different. He has to try someone at the point who just makes it work. Perhaps someone like Gomez. He has no shot but perhaps he can get it through to the goalie which is the most important thing.

Tyutin shouldn't be anywhere near the powerplay though. That is one thing I'm confident of. He's just not good with the passing and the decisions there. Rozy is at least streaky.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
otto1219

Quote:
it doesnt help our team, with shanahan after the first saying he was happy with the teams effort and play. One of these days someone has to just step up and say : "we will not win games if we OUR team plays like this", jagr isnt the only problem, renney has to address issues as well.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
rangers17

pp

Quote:

I think their are a few different problems with the power play..Right off the batt im going to say that fedor tytuin has no business being on the prower play. He cannot handle the puck well enough to be the quaterback coming up the ice. I've counted endless passes that he's forced causing the puck to be turned over and sent right back down the ice. This lead into my next problem, the only player right now that is worse with puck control and passing than tytuin is Brenden Shannahan. Look, I love Shanny, I think he's great for this team and we absolutely need him, but lately he's been bad with the puck. Again, I like him on the PK and when he's setting up in the slot for one timers but no way should be holding onto the puck looking for a pass. In the last couple of games, im going to say maybe 6 out of 10 passes have ended up directly on the opposing teams stick or so far off from our guys it was turned over. They need to do a better job of getting the puck to guys that SHOULD have the puck. Scott gomez should be the guy they are looking to get the puck to at all times on the power play, not nessarily to shoot but to give them the best option to make a play that will lead to a goal.

rangers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 03:45 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
it doesnt help our team, with shanahan after the first saying he was happy with the teams effort and play. One of these days someone has to just step up and say : "we will not win games if we OUR team plays like this", jagr isnt the only problem, renney has to address issues as well.
I for one am a big Jagr fan. (The only other player I admired more then him coming out of the Czech Republic or the Slovak Republic is Peter Statsney).
Do you think he misses Nylander at all?? I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and say Nylander is better than Drury or Gomez. But even if Jagr has not said it. I beleive he misses him (I mean ofcourse he's not going to say it anway). I believe Nylander was the exact reason why Jagr set the single season record for goals as a Ranger a few years back. I'm just not so sure he's "Captain material" in the NHL either. I agree Renney has to take major responsibility as well. He did'nt even take a time out and call out his team or tell them to wake the hell up or anything. I wish he had some of that "Mike Keenan in him but he does'nt." I think Renney is a good coach. I believe even he is going through a learning process while coaching this team as well. But games like L.A., Fla, Tampa, that one Montreal game, etc..etc... Someone has got to step up and take charge and say "look there can be no way we're walking out of this building tonight with zero points."

Old
03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
mstraka82

first of all, these Jags is a bad captain and misses nylander is garbage, nobody knows what goes on inside the lockerroom, i would blame half the defense before Jaromir , Rosi and the rest think they are great, every player in the lockerroom thinks they are hot stuff cause they play for the rangers and live in NYC, they need to get shanny off of Jags's pp and put him with gomer again

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:52 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
first of all, these Jags is a bad captain and misses nylander is garbage, nobody knows what goes on inside the lockerroom, i would blame half the defense before Jaromir , Rosi and the rest think they are great, every player in the lockerroom thinks they are hot stuff cause they play for the rangers and live in NYC, they need to get shanny off of Jags's pp and put him with gomer again
exactly!, there may be nobody else on the team that cares more than Jagr, don't judge his play or his on ice expressions as the kind of cpt. he is. The guy is constantly pissed at himself because he's not performing to the way he expects himself to perform, the guy earned the captaincy when he carried this team on his back out of the lockout, he's the captain til he goes.

In The Flesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

If we want to improve the PP:
  • Need Mara Back
  • Need to get Dubinsky off the PP (doesn't do anything on it)
  • Need to get Dawes in the high slot
  • Need to get Shanny off Jagr's PP unit
  • Need to slap Rozsival every time he doesn't shoot
  • Need to try Backman back there full time
  • Need to get Prucha in and standing right infront of the crease
  • Need a Avery-Prucha-Shanahan-Mara-Rozsival unit with Prucha in front, Avery on the left, Shanny in the high slot and Mara/Rosi blasting them from the point

I'm sure there's plenty more but those are hefty solutions/things I'd try if I was Renney.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
bumrusherer

To be honest, It doesnt really matter if Jagr is captain or not because we have more than enough leaders on this team.
Which in itself could be a bad thing because it could allow for players to have a '' He'll do it '' mentality instead of taking the initiative on themselves.

The Powerplay - Yuk and yuk. The puck doesnt move quickly enough and we look for the perfect shot too often.
A bad combination right there.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
mstraka82

thats right peeps, Jags is amazing and will forever be the man, he is ten times cooler than half of the players we have now, jokes around, you all need to understand his personality and his *****y ness, he expects himself to be great

Old
03-16-2008, 07:17 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
exactly!, there may be nobody else on the team that cares more than Jagr, don't judge his play or his on ice expressions as the kind of cpt. he is. The guy is constantly pissed at himself because he's not performing to the way he expects himself to perform, the guy earned the captaincy when he carried this team on his back out of the lockout, he's the captain til he goes.
Whenever did I judge his play? I just thought maybe he "clicked" a little bit better with Nylander and I'ts a good think Dubinsky is "NHL ready" or else we have no center for him. No question I think he cares. When Milbury called him out on Nationial television I thought he was crazy. If we're gonna say no one knows what goes on inside the locker room or Jagr gets angry when he makes mistakes, I still don't see how that justifies him as being a good captain. The very reason why he lacks confidence and gets frustrated with himself is why I question his captaincy. How will anyone else on the team have confidence in his leadership?? More importantly, Renney was talking about how the team should check their ego's last night. Well I believe Renney should have included himself in there also. I mean a big reason why a team performs the way it does is reflected on the coaching staff.

Old
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Whenever did I judge his play? I just thought maybe he "clicked" a little bit better with Nylander and I'ts a good think Dubinsky is "NHL ready" or else we have no center for him. No question I think he cares. When Milbury called him out on Nationial television I thought he was crazy. If we're gonna say no one knows what goes on inside the locker room or Jagr gets angry when he makes mistakes, I still don't see how that justifies him as being a good captain. The very reason why he lacks confidence and gets frustrated with himself is why I question his captaincy. How will anyone else on the team have confidence in his leadership?? More importantly, Renney was talking about how the team should check their ego's last night. Well I believe Renney should have included himself in there also. I mean a big reason why a team performs the way it does is reflected on the coaching staff.
seriously where the heck was Renney last night, oh yea stumbling with his words, he has toooooo big of an ego with the media, plus Jags was really good with nylander, but Jags is a grown man who moved on, but is still not used to it, oh yea Perry Pearn should re-evaluate everything with his powerplay system cause he is tooo blame tooo

Old
03-16-2008, 07:33 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
seriously where the heck was Renney last night, oh yea stumbling with his words, he has toooooo big of an ego with the media, plus Jags was really good with nylander, but Jags is a grown man who moved on, but is still not used to it, oh yea Perry Pearn should re-evaluate everything with his powerplay system cause he is tooo blame tooo
Yea, I said it a bunch of times and someone else said it as well. I don't know what Renney talked about during the first intermission but there certainly was'nt any motivating speeches going on. Maybe they rested their eyes for 15 minutes, IDK. And Renney has to understand the league grants you time outs for a reason. Many times you see similar situations like this and the coach is yelling or atleast raising his voice a notch or two to say "wake the f..u..ck up." Maybe someone should have did that to Renney himself. There are many Rangers fans in Fla.

Old
03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Yea, I said it a bunch of times and someone else said it as well. I don't know what Renney talked about during the first intermission but there certainly was'nt any motivating speeches going on. Maybe they rested their eyes for 15 minutes, IDK. And Renney has to understand the league grants you time outs for a reason. Many times you see similar situations like this and the coach is yelling or atleast raising his voice a notch or two to say "wake the f..u..ck up." Maybe someone should have did that to Renney himself. There are many Rangers fans in Fla.
I would like to tell Renney to get his head out of his A** and start rimming out the D