HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Comfortable Hockey Helmet

Old
03-16-2008, 08:47 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Comfortable Hockey Helmet

I am starting my first roller hockey league and I am 18, better late than never. I have all the equipment I need except a helmet. When it comes to hockey I am all about comfort so could you guys tell me some of the more comfortable helmets that dont hit the wallet too hard?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
What would you consider hitting the wallet?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyy View Post
What would you consider hitting the wallet?
Something less than a hundred. I am guessing there is a lot of helmets that are comfortable and less than a hundred.

Old
03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
deanosaur

mission intake
i like it

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTavares09 View Post
Something less than a hundred. I am guessing there is a lot of helmets that are comfortable and less than a hundred.
Probably the NikeBauer 4500, I think it's only around $70 w/ the cage. I see a lot of kids wearing it. Although I don't I wear the new CCM Vector helmet.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:56 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
mission intake
i like it
I have actually heard good things about the intake. In my league we need a full cage. Would it be cheaper for me to buy the intake by itself and then the cage or buy them attached? The cheapest I found them attached was 125.

Old
03-16-2008, 08:57 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTavares09 View Post
I have actually heard good things about the intake. In my league we need a full cage. Would it be cheaper for me to buy the intake by itself and then the cage or buy them attached? The cheapest I found them attached was 125.
well i bought mine separetly because i wanted a specific cage (chrome baby way to go, but graduated to halfy ovech visor haha) so that came to 150 but i think buyin attached is cheaper

Old
03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
sc37

Quote:
When it comes to hockey I am all about comfort so could you guys tell me some of the more comfortable helmets that dont hit the wallet too hard?
If you want comfort go and stick your head in one at the store...only way to find out. It's not like everyone's head is the same much like your skates.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
If you want comfort go and stick your head in one at the store...only way to find out. It's not like everyone's head is the same much like your skates.
Best advice on here. Each brand has different dimensions. For example, I have a small, narrow head that is really only comfortable in NikeBauer buckets. My buddy has a wider head that is more comfortable in Mission.

Price ranges will be $39-$150 (higher with cage).
As you go up in price you will pay more for comfortable padding, ventilation, adjustable features.

Each company makes helmets that have both old-style foam (off-white or gray usually) and the newer EPP (Expanded Polypropylene) foam + comfort pads. The EPP foam is a hard, high density foam that covers the inside. The comfort pads are soft pads that are strategically placed at contact points. More comfort, higher the price.

Higher end models will have better ventilation, reducing heat.

All helmets are adjustable, either with screws or flaps that hold the settings in place. Higher end helmets have the flaps that allow more minute adjustments. Also, they can be adjusted both length-wise and through the occipital area (where the skull meets the neck). Right now the Nike Bauer 8500 is the only helmet that is really adjustable width wise.

Hope this helps.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Best advice on here. Each brand has different dimensions. For example, I have a small, narrow head that is really only comfortable in NikeBauer buckets. My buddy has a wider head that is more comfortable in Mission.

As you go up in price you will pay more for comfortable padding, ventilation, adjustable features.

Each company makes helmets that have both old-style foam (off-white or gray usually) and the newer EPP (Expanded Polypropylene) foam + comfort pads. The EPP foam is a hard, high density foam that covers the inside. The comfort pads are soft pads that are strategically placed at contact points. More comfort, higher the price.

All helmets are adjustable, either with screws or flaps that hold the settings in place. Higher end helmets have the flaps that allow more minute adjustments. Also, they can be adjusted both length-wise and through the occipital area (where the skull meets the neck). Right now the Nike Bauer 8500 is the only helmet that is really adjustable width wise.

Hope this helps.
that was awesome. you sound like the former canadian tire guy of hockey haha

Old
03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
XweekendwarriorX

RBK 6K is a great helmet.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:01 AM
sc37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post

Hope this helps.
I do believe the 8K has some width adjustment too. But honestly, it is the best way and I found out the hard way. I started out playing and was cheap and bought stuff online only to wind up with some crappy skates and a helmet that pinched which then gave me a headache. You can get by with other stuff like shoulders feeling a bit awkward or a slightly loose elbow pad, though not the best thing to do, but your feet and head is where it hurts most when things don't fit.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
I do believe the 8K has some width adjustment too. But honestly, it is the best way and I found out the hard way. I started out playing and was cheap and bought stuff online only to wind up with some crappy skates and a helmet that pinched which then gave me a headache. You can get by with other stuff like shoulders feeling a bit awkward or a slightly loose elbow pad, though not the best thing to do, but your feet and head is where it hurts most when things don't fit.
the 8k has a dial in the back that adjusts the width, true, but I've found it it prone to coming loose. The 8500's adjustment is pretty secure. I could be wrong though as I'm going on mostly first and second run 8Ks.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
XweekendwarriorX

the 6K has flaps you pop up on the sides to adjust as well and are very very hard to pop out but easily adjustable.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote