HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin almost traded to Montreal - per Ottawa Sun

Old
03-16-2008, 12:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil View Post
alright.. now that we all pretty much agree that it probably never happened.. even though none of would have thought huet for a 2nd ... would sundin for higgins (since we are deep in talent right now and draft choices arent that important right now)... would sundin have helped us..
I am not a big fan of Sundin, in High School all the Leafs fans used to ram him down my throat every day about how amazing he was. But despite my hate for him, there is little doubt in my mind Sundin would have been a HUGE pick up for us... He is a solid face off guy, a big body presence, can pass, can score..

As much as Higgins is a big part of the team, Sundin would have brought us to another level.

A.Kost-Pleks-Kovy
Lats-Sundin-Ryder
Streit-Koivu-S.Kost

Yummy.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Altoid

Fine, so Fletcher tells Simmons after the fact about the potential trade that Sundin vetoed, but I wonder if Fletcher said anything to Gainey about this fantasy deal he cooked up?

Altoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Kriss E

Why would those deals have been sent to the NHL office when neither player agreeing to remove their NTC.
Not only that, but why would Fletcher have worked out and AGREED to some deals before talking to his players. Ultimately, Kaberle and Sundin would have had to power to lift their NTC for the teams they'd want, so it makes little to no sense that Fletcher wasted time working on deals prior to any talks with his players.

And from Gainey's perspective, he refused to give Higgins for Hossa, so i don't think why he'd agree for another future UFA. BG also wouldn't give out a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with that.
That wouldn't be overpayment, it'd be a pure gift given to TO.

BG would have never agreed to such a deal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:25 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Man... Sundin is exactly the player we needed. He is the missing piece here without a doubt.

Anyway. If it's true, than don't be surprised to see Gainey deal Higgins in a package for a 1st tier player this summer if he can't get anything done with Hossa or Naslund or Rolston or Jagr.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Thank GOD the trigger wasn't pulled on that one. That's all I have to say.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Simmons is usually pretty legit...he's been around a long while with no episodes. Not sure if I would made the deal...if we could have signed Sundin for another two years. Then yeah.
Simmons is an idiot. He constantly tries to stir things up with trashy sensationalist tabloid style reporting. This is his way of trying to outdo the other Toronto mediots. He has zero credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I think this is a counter punch to Damien Cox's Toronto Star article that complimented Gainey on his deadline day leadership. Simmons often looks for the Toronto market one-up story, especially when he scoops his chief rival.

I personally find his account ridiculous and without a shred of credibility.

But Simmons is not looking for fans like me to find his story compelling, he's going after the Sun readers that are looking for a new Leaf scapegoat and have Sundin in their sights.

The calls of "look what great shape the Leafs would be in had these players signed their NTC clauses" is a theme that Toronto area fans are going to hear from their media for quite some time. As long as it resonates with Leaf fans and sells papers and online mouse clicks, it's the theme-du-jour.
You've got it bang on. Good post.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Steve Simmons.

The guy with absolutely no connections to Montreal. (Although to be fair, few do).

The guy who pretty much completely ruined his credibility and contacts within the Leafs organization by falsely reporting that Mats Sundin needed career-threatening hip surgery last year.

This guy claims to be the only one who knew the intimate details of a trade involving the 2 biggest hockey markets in the world, that just happens to include the aforementioned player that pretty much came out last year and said he was an idiot.

Not to mention that the Canadiens refused to make a similar deal for a rental player because it involved the exact same player they don't want to trade.

Sorry Steve, but that just doesn't add up to me... Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, but you really haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.
Don't forget it was Simmons who broke the story that JFJ tried to fire Maurice but MLSE overruled him. Nobody else validated this claim.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Habs

I would have hurled bags of flaming dog poo, at Gainey, if this is remotely true.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:10 AM
HabsHockey

this thread is a lie

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:56 AM
EagleBelfour

It would have been one hell of an overpayment for Sundin, but damn I could picture Sundin with the Montreal Canadiens. Definitely my favourite player outside of Montreal.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:05 AM
JrHockeyFan

Sundin for a couple of months in exchange for Higgins plus 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders? If that deal was offered by Toronto, I can see why it never went down . . . and Sundin had nothing to do with it

Not to mention that Simmons also said this in the same column:

These are not your Montreal Canadiens anymore. The owner is American. The captain is a Finn. Their top two scorers are a Russian and a Czech ...

How 'bout: These are not your Toronto Maple Leafs anymore. The owner is a pension plan.The captain is a Swede. Their top two scorers are a Swede and a Kazahk . . . But none of them are trees

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-17-2008 at 11:49 AM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Thank god this didnt happen.... if it is even for real
Sundin is way over rated... he is a good player.... but has never won ****... and never will win ****...

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 07:08 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness1980 View Post
Thank god this didnt happen.... if it is even for real
Sundin is way over rated... he is a good player.... but has never won ****... and never will win ****...
What the hell?! With Sundin, we're THE contenders... that's it that's all.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Netro

I don't believe that rumour for a second.

I wouldn't do Higgins straight up for a rental player (whomever it is) plus 3 picks? Makes no sense. This is not something BG would do.

Love Sundin, wish he was a Hab, but not at that cost.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Poor Higgins. He's always mentioned in "almost trades".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post
Riiiiiiiight. So Bob was willing to trade him for Sundin but not Hossa?
Thank you!
Some common sense!

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post
Riiiiiiiight. So Bob was willing to trade him for Sundin but not Hossa?

Yeah that makes sense!
Sundin >>>> Hossa. Sundin fills a much bigger need than Hossa. Not to mention he's much better in the playoffs and would be our most clutch player.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Bullsmith

I don't buy this for a second. I think we can assume that Bob's office didn't leak, and if it came from Fletcher's side it may have been inflated to make Fletch look good. Basically though, I think it's just sour grapes wishful gossip coming out of Toronto.

How many TML rumours ever turn out to be true? One in a thousand?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:33 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
None of those trades make any sense. I'm guessing that some media buddy of Garrioch's the covers the Leafs made it all up because he's bored.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
None of those trades make any sense. I'm guessing that some media buddy of Garrioch's the covers the Leafs made it all up because he's bored.
How does it not make any sense? What do the Habs need more then anything else, and have needed for years on end? A big centerman.

That being said, I don't believe Bob would have gave up Higgins + picks for 3 months of Sundin, he would have had to be resigned for atleast another 2 years. In that scenerio, the deal would have had my full support.

Old
03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
RC51

with only 2 points between the Habs and the Sens this all might be an atempt by the Ottawa Sun to make Higgins feel bad and play bad.
SEE spy vs. spy tactic.

How would Spezza feel if LaPresse filed a report that he was being moved to the Islanders for draft picks and Depeitro?

You think Speeza might be pissed off?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:48 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
with only 2 points between the Habs and the Sens this all might be an atempt by the Ottawa Sun to make Higgins feel bad and play bad.
SEE spy vs. spy tactic.

How would Spezza feel if LaPresse filed a report that he was being moved to the Islanders for draft picks and Depeitro?

You think Speeza might be pissed off?
I think your onto something here...

Spezza for Halak, Ryder and a 2nd?

Old
03-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Sundin is a great player but dam that's alot to give for a rental.Thank you Mats is all I have to say..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Pascal

I really doubt this is true at all. No way Gainey blows part of our future for 2 months of Sundin..

And where the hell would Koivu and Plek play? They're both natural Cs. Who is going to tell Koivu he got bumped to 3rd line on his own team for some Swedish dude from Toronto?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Chomsky

Great now it's on RDS....

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote