HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tuesday Lineup: Halak Starts + Mondays Practice Lines

Old
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Not a fan of the decision.
I like Halak getting a start every now and then and Carbo says Price is our #1 and our go to guy. With this decision and our media, he just started another goalie controversy.

...dont get me wrong, I have full confidence in both goalies.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
I disagree. As strange as trading Huet was, THE only reason for it was to avoid that goalie controversy and having the possibility to stick with 1 goalie and give him tons of confidence with the playoffs coming.....

The only way it makes sense, is that HALAK is now the #1 goalie and Price becomes the backup.....

If not, it makes no sense to keep wanting some supposed great competition between those 2 with so few games left before the playoffs. You need one or the other to be on a roll....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
There's plenty of time left...

You guys all need to calm down.

Both of our goalies combined have gone 7-3 with a 2.00GAA, they both deserve to play. So what if Halak gets this start, it's not the end of the world

You all are looking for a controversy, there's really nothing to see here.
No controversy, just a decision I don't understand. Halak was good, but that shutout against the Isles was not hard to get(in relation to what you need to do to get a shutout at the NHL level, obviously nothing in the NHL is easy). When you designate a number 1 goaltender, you usually go with him regardless of what the backup does. You do not give him 7 days rest.

But then again, maybe Price wasn't sharp in practice, like Carbo and Gainey often say, they don't make decisions alone. In the end, 2 weeks from now we probably won't care, like always.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
needmorefunds007

A potential first round matchup with the Bruins will surely put Price in net in the games against Boston. This will be one of Halak's final chances to get in a game before seasons end. When else would he get another chance? Maybe against Toronto and other non playoff teams ...thats it.

needmorefunds007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Doctor House

Easy choice and I like how the team pulled together for Halak's shut out - I think Price will play against the Bruins twice.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
So because Halak starts against the 2nd worst team in the Western Conference, that somehow means Price is no longer the #1 goalie?

You guys are hilarious
Yeah, because thats EXACTLY what I said.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Yeah, because thats EXACTLY what I said.
Well it is actually...you're saying "I thought Price was our # 1 goalie"

What makes you think it he isn't? Obviously because Halak is getting the start tomorrow night, or did I get ahead of myself?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I think Halak deserved another start but I would have given it to him Saturday at home against the ruins.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Rapmaster

It's just a award for getting a shutout, talk about overreacting

Rapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
There's plenty of time left...

You guys all need to calm down.

Both of our goalies combined have gone 7-3 with a 2.00GAA, they both deserve to play. So what if Halak gets this start, it's not the end of the world

You all are looking for a controversy, there's really nothing to see here.
I don't see how it helps the team at all.

Clearly the team is going to start with Price in the playoffs, and considering that he has very little NHL experience he should be getting as many starts as possible. His next game is going to be after a week's layoff, he'll be rusty and if he loses he'll probably get the hook again on Saturday.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Habs_46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris La Tigre View Post
play him until he's scored on.
+1 ..

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think it's a good decision. Halak deserves to play and their is no controversy at all. Price will get the 2 Boston games and probably all the ones left expect maybe one.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:47 AM
number 11

i'm a bit surprised by this. yes halak got a shutout but now you're sitting your number 1 goalie for 2 games. also I don't like lapierre sitting again which is the case.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
Price will get the 2 Boston games
true

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
No controversy, just a decision I don't understand. Halak was good, but that shutout against the Isles was not hard to get(in relation to what you need to do to get a shutout at the NHL level, obviously nothing in the NHL is easy). When you designate a number 1 goaltender, you usually go with him regardless of what the backup does. You do not give him 7 days rest.

But then again, maybe Price wasn't sharp in practice, like Carbo and Gainey often say, they don't make decisions alone. In the end, 2 weeks from now we probably won't care, like always.
Price is the now and the future of this franchise, there's no doubt in that. But he's not Martin Brodeur, he doesn't have the clout to get right back in net when the back up just got a shutout.

Halak has been very patient this year, he got sent down in training camp when he was probably the best goalie, he got called up halfway through the year and only played when Huet got blasted in New York. He's shown a good attitude and this is his reward. That's what a good organization does....this very step might allow the Habs to retain Halak's right this offseason instead of him bouncing to Russia.

The Habs have games remaining against the Bruins, Sabres, Leafs and Sens...Price will get to play all of them if everything goes right, he'll be fine.

Like you said, 2 weeks from now when we're starting the playoffs with Price in nets vs. whoever, no one is going to remember that Halak got back to back starts in mid-March.

Seriously, this thread is going to reach 8 or 9 pages by tomorrow's game and in the end, it's going to be completely inconsequential

Old
03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
i'm a bit surprised by this. yes halak got a shutout but now you're sitting your number 1 goalie for 2 games. also I don't like lapierre sitting again which is the case.
how about Brisebois playing again

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
You have to go with a guy to get them ready for the playoffs, rewarding each goalie down the stretch unless you're planning on using a tandem is a recipe for disaster. What if Halak has a strong game on Tuesday against one of the lowest scoring teams in the league? Then you play him again? No point in giving Price the front seat on the carriage if he can't hold the reigns.

Just an outsiders opinion, feel free to ignore.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Agree, to an extent... Price has to start both Boston games if this is the case. Regardless of how Halak plays.

This could considerably up the value of Halak however, which could be a double-edged sword for us. Either he'll command a little too much $$ as a RFA, or perhaps Gainey would gauge interest on draft day by trading him to a team that needs a goalie? Or maybe i am thinking into it a bit too much.
It's not so double-edged. If some team makes an extravagant offer for Halak as an RFA, Gainey would have the option of matching it or taking compensation in the form of first round picks. Should Gainey pay Halak more than he's giving Price? He didn't want to pay $3M to keep Huet as a backup, so why would he give that much to Halak?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:51 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You have to go with a guy to get them ready for the playoffs, rewarding each goalie down the stretch unless you're planning on using a tandem is a recipe for disaster. What if Halak has a strong game on Tuesday against one of the lowest scoring teams in the league? Then you play him again? No point in giving Price the front seat on the carriage if he can't hold the reigns.

Just an outsiders opinion, feel free to ignore.
No need to ignore... you hit the nail on the head.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapmaster View Post
It's just a award for getting a shutout, talk about overreacting
What if he stops 49 shots and we win 2-1? Shouldn't he be awarded for that as well?

No time for awards, time to prepare for the playoffs.....It would be at the beginning, in the middle of the season, I wouldn't care.

As far as giving Halak gifts 'cause we might be afraid to lose him, I just don't see how it's possible. Strong possibility that Halak might have as many as 30 starts next year. And then, could be a candidate to be traded for a team in need of a #1 goalie if he does well. The guy will officially starts his NHL career starting next year. Why would he want to leave for Russia?

We've traded our #1 goalie to make room for him? Shouldn't he believe the Habs have plans for him and want to use him more?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
That was a little bit of a surprise,before sitting Lappiere I think Smolinski should take a seat.If im not mistaking Lapierre was the only one that had a good scoring chance against the Sens.

I guess Carbo know's what he's doing

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Clumsyhab

Now, I'm starting to wonder if Halak has any chance to be our starting goalie for the playoff.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I just don't see the reason to reward, granted Halak has been a good little soldier and done everything asked by the organization but was there any doubt that the Canadiens would beat the Islanders? A non-playoff team? There should be no doubt on Tuesday either, regardless of the goalie. I just don't see how giving Halak another start benefits the Canadiens in the long run, they know what Halak can do in the regular season, unless they're going to ride Price in every single game after Tuesday it doesn't make much sense.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
I don't see how it helps the team at all.

Clearly the team is going to start with Price in the playoffs, and considering that he has very little NHL experience he should be getting as many starts as possible. His next game is going to be after a week's layoff, he'll be rusty and if he loses he'll probably get the hook again on Saturday.
It'll take a monumental collapse on Thursday for Price to not get back in nets on Saturday...even if the Habs lose, Price will be back in nets. Price is going to get the final 8 games of the year (unless like I said, he's awful, and in such case we'll be happy Halak got to play a few games)

This is likely Halak's last game of the year...that way, they can just go with Price the rest of the way instead of having to split any games during the final stretch

Everyone overreacting is acting like this game tomorrow, is the last game of the year.

Old
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Now, I'm starting to wonder if Halak has any chance to be our starting goalie for the playoff.
talk about stiring the pot

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote