HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tuesday Lineup: Halak Starts + Mondays Practice Lines

Old
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
I don't think this is very wise -- Price was on a pretty good roll and 7 days between starts is a long time to cool off, plus now you introduce the question of how much of a number one he really is, in the back of everyone's mind if nothing else.

Yes, Halak is coming off of a shutout. I still think Price should've played, then Halak could have gotten the home game against Boston.

I don't think there will be negative consequences, but I am not a fan of this decision.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckhead58*

Halak earned it!!! He has played great in both games he has played this season....I hope he stands on his head and shows Carbo and Bob that he is ready to fight for the #1 job.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dunlop

When was the last time a goalie got 2 shutouts in a row for the habs?

Don't worry, Price will be back thursday against the Bruins .

Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Price is 20 years old, 6'3' 210+ pounds.

He played in something like 85 games last year at all levels. He never slowed down at any point.

This year he has played in 44 games in the NHL and AHL.

If anything, he hasn't had enough action so far in order to get into his ''groove''. He doesn't need rest.
We all know Halak was going to get another start in our final 9 games, the coaching staff has said as much.

Would you rather Price play the next two games, then sit for one, then play the following 6 games?

Or would you rather he sits tomorrow night and play the final 8 games straight?

I think the 2nd option provides a better opportunity for him to get in a 'groove' + i'm positive the coaching staff has already informed him of the way he's going to be used to finish this season.

We doubted the coaching staff when they kept Price in training camp

We doubted the coaching staff when they sent Price down halfway through the year

We doubted the coaching staff when they traded Huet

Let's just give them the benefit of the doubt this time, i'm sure it's all going to work out

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Practice Lines

Forwards
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn
Streit - Smolinski - Kostopoulos
Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault

Defence
Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Bouillon - O'Byrne
Gorges

Goaltender
Halak
Price

Jaroslav Halak will get his second straight start Tuesday when the Canadiens face the St. Louis Blues. Head Coach Guy Carbonneau says that Halak earned it after shutting out the Islanders. - TSN

PERSONAL COMMENTS: Even as a Brisebois fan, I hope this isn't the case. Gorges has been excellent all season and deserves to play. Brisebois playing over O'Byrne, I can at least see why it'd happen. Brisebois & O'Byrne over Gorges... Disgusting.

The forwards lines are okay. I wouldn't mine Lapierre in the spot of Kostopolous though. As much as I hate Smoke, his face-off percent has been well over 60%, maybe at 65% in the last few weeks.. it's hard to sit him.

Halak deserves the start, as Carbo sees. No problem there.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Iwishihadacup

CRAIG ANDERSON!!!He played 3 games in a row and you know what, Vokoun is still no 1... We should stop "capoting" and just say tht Caro wanted to let a chance to both goalies

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
We've second guessed the coaching staff/Gainey's decisions all year, and everytime they've proven us wrong. With 71 games played and the Habs in 1st place, can we not give them the benefit of the doubt for once?
Absolutely. Still, I don't think we're wrong as far as Smolinski and Brisebois are concerned....And you have to stop using the rankings to explain your point, 'cause I could come back after tonight's game and say that we're now 5th and we suck....

But I know what you mean. But it's just a question of having opinions and I prefer expressing those opinions now instead of waiting later and be accused of having this "hindsightis 20-20ism" sickness....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
My only issue with Halak starting is it means Price is going to be playing the next 8 straight games, with only a vacation either against Toronto (at Toronto) or Buffalo (at Montreal). I really can't call it an issue. I guess its just more an observation.

Halak playing the Blues is fine. Price will be getting a ton of work starting Thursday. I have a feeling this was the original plan in the first place.
Price will play 6 of the final 8, IMO. Maybe 7. No way he starts the remaining 8 games unless Halak gets blown out.

Old
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Forwards
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn
Streit - Smolinski - Kostopoulos
Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault

Defence
Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Bouillon - O'Byrne
Gorges

Goaltender
Halak
Price

Jaroslav Halak will get his second straight start Tuesday when the Canadiens face the St. Louis Blues. Head Coach Guy Carbonneau says that Halak earned it after shutting out the Islanders. - TSN

PERSONAL COMMENTS: Even as a Brisebois fan, I hope this isn't the case. Gorges has been excellent all season and deserves to play. Brisebois playing over O'Byrne, I can at least see why it'd happen. Brisebois & O'Byrne over Gorges... Disgusting.

The forwards lines are okay. I wouldn't mine Lapierre in the spot of Kostopolous though. As much as I hate Smoke, his face-off percent has been well over 60%, maybe at 65% in the last few weeks.. it's hard to sit him.

Halak deserves the start, as Carbo sees. No problem there.

Breeze-by playing instead of ANYBODY is disgusting. I would rather put Dandenault back with Boullion than to let Breezer touch the ice.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
brownman*

The way I see it, this is Halak's last start of the year. Price is getting a bit of a prolonged rest and then it's all him down the stretch and into the playoffs.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Carbo is opening up a potential can of worms.

Halak has played well, no doubt but he's done it against much weaker opposition than Price has gotten. Plus, you risk losing 2 very important points by not having your best goalie in nets on Tuesday.
We can tell where you stand. Same place I do with Breezer.

It's no more of a risk, right now, starting Halak then it is Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Halak earned it!!! He has played great in both games he has played this season....I hope he stands on his head and shows Carbo and Bob that he is ready to fight for the #1 job.
He's played in four games

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-17-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Gorges better not ****ing sit.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Breeze-by playing instead of ANYBODY is disgusting. I would rather put Dandenault back with Boullion than to let Breezer touch the ice.
do not call the dandouillon

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Price lost both his games after over a week of inactivity this year (Sens and Caps) but i understand the move, you can't bench a guy after a SO.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...71679&tab=gbgt

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Quote:

We doubted the coaching staff when they kept Price in training camp - No I didnt

We doubted the coaching staff when they sent Price down halfway through the year - No I didnt

We doubted the coaching staff when they traded Huet - No i didnt
i answered in the quated message

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Russeltown

The only thing is that Montreal should treat their goalies fairly. Fairness doesn't mean equal treatment. As long as it remains clear that Price is the #1 goalie, I am in peace with the coaches decision.

Halak earned it anyways.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Defence
Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Bouillon - O'Byrne
Gorges
Maybe Carbo figures Bouillon will influence O'Byrne to start hitting...

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Absolutely. Still, I don't think we're wrong as far as Smolinski and Brisebois are concerned....And you have to stop using the rankings to explain your point, 'cause I could come back after tonight's game and say that we're now 5th and we suck....

But I know what you mean. But it's just a question of having opinions and I prefer expressing those opinions now instead of waiting later and be accused of having this "hindsightis 20-20ism" sickness....
Yeah, no doubt.

I just think that it's really inconsequential of who's starting tomorrow. It's not going to matter in the long run. Price is going to have plenty of time to get into a groove, it's just 1 game here.

If anything, I think price should of gotten the start against the Islanders...but Halak played and it turned out to be a perfect decision as indicated by the score, so...

I think Carbo's shown us that he doesn't want any player feeling comfortable in his spot, maybe this is a way for Price to stay sharp and hungry, alot of decisions made by the coaching staff go much deeper then we fans understand. There alot of things behind the scenes that we're not privy too, we only take these decision as face value when they're much more thought out.

Both games vs. the Islanders and Blues have presented Carbo with an opportunity to test certain things out, that's why we've seen Halak and Grabovsky, Latendresse with Koivu and Ryder

The division games aren't a time to test those things out...

Old
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Yeah, no doubt.

I just think that it's really inconsequential of who's starting tomorrow. It's not going to matter in the long run. Price is going to have plenty of time to get into a groove, it's just 1 game here.

If anything, I think price should of gotten the start against the Islanders...but Halak played and it turned out to be a perfect decision as indicated by the score, so...

I think Carbo's shown us that he doesn't want any player feeling comfortable in his spot, maybe this is a way for Price to stay sharp and hungry, alot of decisions made by the coaching staff go much deeper then we fans understand. There alot of things behind the scenes that we're not privy too, we only take these decision as face value when they're much more thought out.
Fair enough. In the end, only the team's success here is important. Let's pull for another great performance by Halak, I really think he'll work much harder tomorrow.

People need to realize that the great David Perron is playing for them...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Ross MacLochness

I only like it if Carbo has communicated to Carey that he is the man, and will start both Thursday and Saturday regardless of what Halak does. I don't want Price going into any game thinking 'Ah **** if I don't win this one I'm not playing next time'. That's just a bad situation.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Carbo should try Andrei Kostitsyn on another line before the playoffs, our 2 best shooters are on the same line..

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
mcphee

Could be practice lines, could be Carbo rotating players just to get everyone some icetime, Gorges could be a bit banged up, probably just an attempt to spread things out.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
i answered in the quated message
Well I guess I wasn't referring to you then...

Old
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
But then again, maybe Price wasn't sharp in practice, like Carbo and Gainey often say, they don't make decisions alone. In the end, 2 weeks from now we probably won't care, like always.
Nah... In two weeks Price will have played 3-4 great games in a row, then he will let in one questionable goal and the board will overreact and there will be threads about how Carbo ruined his confidence by giving Halak two straight starts against the Isles and Blues.

Quote:
We've second guessed the coaching staff/Gainey's decisions all year, and everytime they've proven us wrong. With 71 games played and the Habs in 1st place, can we not give them the benefit of the doubt for once?
Agreed....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Gorges better not ****ing sit.
There's no doubt in my mind that Brisebois is starting with O'Byrne watching for game 1 of the playoffs.

I know Carbo's going to go with experience.

I don't agree with it, but I know that's what he's going to do