HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion: Would you trade Price for the 1st overall pick of 2008?

Old
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
When Martin Brodeur can look down the ice and go, "Wow, that kid is something", you're dealing with something special.

Would you have traded Patrick Roy for the 1st Overall pick in 1992? I mean, you had two choices: A franchise forward or a franchise defenceman. Just like this year and next year. 2008 is Stamkos or Doughty. 2009 is Tavares or Hedman. Everyone is saying that any of these guys are going to be staples to a teams future.

In 1992, it was Roman Hamrlik and Alexei Yashin. So you can see what kind of gamble that would have been. Now think of what it might be giving up Roy for one of them, what it could be giving up Price for one of them.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
bipolarhabfan

NO!!!

A generational talent in goal for a great forward is a no go for me. Price is only 20 YO and has an unlimited potential. Halak will also be good but not quite as good as Price. What many do not understand is that goaltending wins championships. It is the fulcrum where the fortunes of a team swing. Without a goalie to give you that extra save when it is needed, you are going no where. Moreover, they must be able to handle the pressure of a playoff. These characteristics are exactly what Price brings to the table. Last year he almost singlehandedly won the AHL championship and was a huge factor in team Canada's gold medal. In essence, I feel that Price is as close to an untouchable commodity as there is.

Last edited by bipolarhabfan: 03-17-2008 at 11:35 AM.
bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

No, wouldn't do it.

A friend of mine's cousin actually knows Stamkos, apparently he's an arrogant dick. I don't know how true it is, but we don't need someone like that if it is true.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
No, why would someone even think of it?

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
No, why would someone even think of it?
You don't seem to know Habs fans and hockey fans.

The moment Halak played recently what do you think went through fans' head?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
No, wouldn't do it.

A friend of mine's cousin actually knows Stamkos, apparently he's an arrogant dick. I don't know how true it is, but we don't need someone like that if it is true.
Apparently,Stamkos has stated several times that he would appreciate to be selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs,his childhood team.He apparently also wants to be a important part of the team's rebuild as required.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
HotPie

I would trade Price for Crosby, and that's about it.

Price's potential is ridiculously high. It's like some people don't realize that he's only 20 years old, and he's only going to continue getting better, which is insane.

Don't get me wrong, Halak is great too, and I'd love to keep him, but there's no doubt that Price is the future of this franchise.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Apparently,Stamkos has stated several times that he would appreciate to be selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs,his childhood team.He apparently also wants to be a important part of the team's rebuild as required.
He better hope those stubborn people in Toronto start dropping games then, they are rapidly falling out of the Stamkos-sweepstakes with their 'we can make the playoffs" mentality. Apparently they are as delusional as some of their fans. Must be something they put on LeafsTV.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Talent Analyst

A franchise goaltender for a potential franchise player. I say no!

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
No for me. I think Price is going to be more important to our team then any of the other guys.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Corey

It's worth remembering that goaltenders play the whole game while forwards, even superstars, are usually on the ice for no more than 25 minutes. Forwards can help win a game, goaltenders can absolutely win a game by shutting down the superstar forwards. Some goaltenders do that more often than others and Price looks like someone who can do it more often than most. Give some thought to how Ken Dryden stoned Espositio, Orr, and the rest of the Bruins juggernaut in 1971. If the Habs had had Gerry Cheevers or Eddie Johnston in goal they would have been out in 4 games in the first round.

Now that I've patiently stated my rationale, I'll show my impatience and ask, "Who's so shortsighted as to want to trade Price for the chance to draft Stamkos? Who's simple enough to consider Halak a franchise goaltender on the basis of fragmentary evidence?" Halak is strictly a Bell Centre creature. His road record is uninspiring. He's a diminutive reflex goaltender who doesn't excel at puck handling or passing. At a time when GMs are discussing enlarging the nets, this is no time to go small.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
emb24*

thankfully the thread bearer called it speculative otherwise this would be a dumb thread. habs trade their franchise goalie and regress into rebuilding (again) in the hope that one of these guys becomes a superstar by 2013?

gimme a break

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Halak shuts out the worst offense in the league with basically an AHL lineup and now people want to trade Price...shocking. Remember when Price shut out the #1 team in the Eastern Conference, ya good times...
We aren't saying that Halak is god and Price sucks. Price is ****ing awesome, but because of the hype.. people think Halak is garbage in comparison. Halak has dominated every league he's been in thus far, including the NHL.. and it's not going to change. Halak has done nothing to prove that he can't be as good as Carey Price in the NHL.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Corey

The Leafs have such a small chance of drafting Stamkos that it's almost negligible. My only concern is that Tampa Bay adds him to go along with Lecavalier and St. Louis, especially since that team was reinforced with those players it got from Dallas.

Old
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I would trade Price for Crosby, and that's about it.

Price's potential is ridiculously high. It's like some people don't realize that he's only 20 years old, and he's only going to continue getting better, which is insane.

Don't get me wrong, Halak is great too, and I'd love to keep him, but there's no doubt that Price is the future of this franchise.
I suppose you wouldn't consider Ovechkin or Malkin? Just asking. Anyway, Price isn't going anywhere. Neither is Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin.

Old
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We aren't saying that Halak is god and Price sucks. Price is ****ing awesome, but because of the hype.. people think Halak is garbage in comparison. Halak has dominated every league he's been in thus far, including the NHL.. and it's not going to change.
Who said Halak is garbage? Everyone knows that Halak is a very capable goalie but I think the vast majority realize that the ceiling for Price is a franchise goalie. I don't think Halak has the same ceiling.

To me, Price has the ceiling of a Luongo type goalie while Halak has the ceiling of a Vokoun type. Both are very good but one is clearly better then the other. I know you are a big Halak fan and that's fine, but almost every hockey person you will talk to will tell you that Price is a special player.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Price is a rookie and is already at least a middle-of-the-road goaltender. As much as it would be nice to have Stamkos or Tavares (I'd take Stamkos, personally) goaltending depth in the NHL is so poor right now that you can't afford to trade away decent (or better) goaltending unless you've already got a suitable replacement or are willing to overpay for one via trade or UFA. I don't think this franchise is in a position to do that.

For the record, I do consider Halak to be a downgrade. I'm hoping we can bring Halak along like Toskala and then deal him for a similar package that Toronto paid.
Just so long as the Habs don't end up the way San Jose did with Bryzgalov.

Old
03-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Top prospect forwards come up at the draft almost every year.
Crosby type players come up every 10 years or so.
top goalie prospects like Price come up every 5-10 years also but in the case of goalies, being that only a few goalies come up every year, it's much harder to land that franchise goalie.

The Habs have that franchise goalie now and even better Halak is a gem also. Perhaps not quite as good as Price, but Halak is a great find and looking like most every other teams #1 goalie.

It's a huge advantage for the Habs and is making the other GM's just drool.

Goalies don't score goals so they never look as sexy on the highlight reals, unless your thinking about actually winning the game of course.

Trade Price? or even Halak? NO.
This mirrors my opinion very well. Nothing to add.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Who said Halak is garbage? Everyone knows that Halak is a very capable goalie but I think the vast majority realize that the ceiling for Price is a franchise goalie. I don't think Halak has the same ceiling.

To me, Price has the ceiling of a Luongo type goalie while Halak has the ceiling of a Vokoun type. Both are very good but one is clearly better then the other. I know you are a big Halak fan and that's fine, but almost every hockey person you will talk to will tell you that Price is a special player.
I'm not anymore of a fan of Halak than I am Price. I absolutely love both of our goalies and would be very upset if either were dealt.

The reason it comes off that I like Halak more is because I defend him more. Price doesn't need to be defend because he has the hype. Whereas Halak has dominated every single league he's played in, including the NHL.. and yet a lot of people still don't think he can be a Top-5 #1 goalie.. I just don't understand. Until he does something to prove he can't be.. I'm not going to shove him aside just because we have Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Just so long as the Habs don't end up the way San Jose did with Bryzgalov.
Anaheim..

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-17-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old
03-17-2008, 01:04 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Never.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Whereas Halak has dominated every single league he's played in, including the NHL.. and yet a lot of people still don't think he can be a Top-5 #1 goalie.. I just don't understand. Until he does something to prove he can't be.. I'm not going to shove him aside just because we have Price.
Halak's "domination" has been very overrated. I don't think he was truly challenged until he played New York last season, and he got pulled.

Halak does great against teams we should beat. That's what a backup goaltender is supposed to do.

I'd love to see Halak turn out to be like Dominik Hasek on the Blackhawks, creeping up to Ed Belfour, but I really don't see it happening. If next season, I see Halak play the Penguins and make them look like fools, maybe I'll change my mind. Until then, I still remember the Rangers game last year.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Halak's "domination" has been very overrated. I don't think he was truly challenged until he played New York last season, and he got pulled.

Halak does great against teams we should beat. That's what a backup goaltender is supposed to do.

I'd love to see Halak turn out to be like Dominik Hasek on the Blackhawks, creeping up to Ed Belfour, but I really don't see it happening. If next season, I see Halak play the Penguins and make them look like fools, maybe I'll change my mind. Until then, I still remember the Rangers game last year.
Price has got pulled against the Rangers too.. does that mean he sucks?!

No!!

Goalies are entitled to a bad games every once in awhile. They happen. I don't care if its Luongo or Brodeur.. they happen.

Also, Halak wasn't that bad.. you knew they wanted to put Huet in. He made 22 saves on 25 shots through 2 periods in the New York game. Halak's worst game was against the Thrashers.

Also, Halak's pressure situation, IMO, was worse than what Price has had to face this year. Price was a back-up that was given the ball and while that has pressure, we were already solidly locked in a playoff spot.

Halak, on the other hand, had to take a team on the downfall and try and bring them back to the playoffs.. which he did .. he had no one behind him to help him out if he faultered.

Old
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
anarmandaleb

Nope. Wouldn't do it. Not even for a Vinny+Marty deal from TB.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Hochelaga*

People talk about Stamkos like he was the next Mario Lemieux.
I mean this guy is an ordinary 1st overall.
Price should have been a 1st overall but we stole him at 5th , and this year he would have been 2nd because Crosby was the 1st but theres not a Crosby every year.
The year before was an aboslutely fantastic year with Ovechkin and Malkin in the same draft but guys like that dont come every year.

Stamkos is good but hes not great.
Hes no Crosby
Hes no Malkin
Hes no Ovechkin
Hes no Price

Hochelaga* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Price has got pulled against the Rangers too.. does that mean he sucks?!

No!!

Goalies are entitled to a bad games every once in awhile. They happen. I don't care if its Luongo or Brodeur.. they happen.

Also, Halak wasn't that bad.. you knew they wanted to put Huet in. He made 22 saves on 25 shots through 2 periods in the New York game. Halak's worst game was against the Thrashers.

Also, Halak's pressure situation, IMO, was worse than what Price has had to face this year. Price was a back-up that was given the ball and while that has pressure, we were already solidly locked in a playoff spot.

Halak, on the other hand, had to take a team on the downfall and try and bring them back to the playoffs.. which he did .. he had no one behind him to help him out if he faultered.
As reitered earlier,Halak will develop into a very solid netminder,but basically any expert or people who have basic hockey knowledge will tell you that Price's potential is ridiculously high and will certainly develop into a remarkable franchise goaltender all things considered.He has definitely a more proeminent ceiling than Halak.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote