HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion: Would you trade Price for the 1st overall pick of 2008?

Old
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM
brownman*

vCash: 500
Propositions such as this are so ****ing stupid.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Darz

For Stamkos - NO

For Tavares - YES

03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
no.....

great question by the way!!!!

English Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
As reitered earlier,Halak will develop into a very solid netminder,but basically any expert or people who have basic hockey knowledge will tell you that Price's potential is ridiculously high and will certainly develop into a remarkable franchise goaltender all things considered.He has definitely a more proeminent ceiling than Halak.
I don't really know how to put it. I see Halak has having an extreme amount of talent.. it's just whether he can continue to play at the level he has with his size problems. Price on the other hand, could be half of the goalie he's projected to be, and still be an NHLer because of his size.

The way I'd put is this;

Halak has as much potential as Price. However, Price is more likely to hit that potential than Halak. Both could be Top-5 goalies.. Price is more likely to be a Top-5 while Halak is Top-10 - Top-15. But both could be Top-5 if they reach their potentials.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Licou

Wha????

What's wrong with you guys.

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't really know how to put it. I see Halak has having an extreme amount of talent.. it's just whether he can continue to play at the level he has with his size problems. Price on the other hand, could be half of the goalie he's projected to be, and still be an NHLer because of his size.

The way I'd put is this;

Halak has as much potential as Price. However, Price is more likely to hit that potential than Halak. Both could be Top-5 goalies.. Price is more likely to be a Top-5 while Halak is Top-10 - Top-15. But both could be Top-5 if they reach their potentials.
I wouldn't doubt what your saying.. I have a feeling by the time Price is in his prime 25-30 he might even be the premier netminder in the league (with Brodeur gone and Luongo aging). It doesn't seem so far fetched. Lets just hope he continues to progress.

Another really awesome thing is, with Halak's outstanding play his value is going to skyrocket, providing we re-sign him (which i believe we will, 2-3 years) We could get some serious return for him when the time is right to do so.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:32 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I wouldn't doubt what your saying.. I have a feeling by the time Price is in his prime 25-30 he might even be the premier netminder in the league (with Brodeur gone and Luongo aging). It doesn't seem so far fetched. Lets just hope he continues to progress.

Another really awesome thing is, with Halak's outstanding play his value is going to skyrocket, providing we re-sign him (which i believe we will, 2-3 years) We could get some serious return for him when the time is right to do so.
Maybe.

Bryzgalov got nothing.. and he has the potential to be a Top-10 goalie.

Old
03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:

The way I'd put is this;

How exactly do you quantify potential and likelihood to achieve it? For goaltenders, I find it's very hard if not impossible.

Personally, I see two goaltenders with a lot of talent. I like Price better because of how sound he is technically, because of his natural abilities,his size and his past performance notably during pressure situations. I do expect him to be better than Halak due to these things, but I can say with a guarantee that he'll be better... no. In the end, I'd rather go forward with both like SJ did with Nabokov, Toskala and Kiprussof. They assessed the situation and if you ask me, they made the right decision.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Maybe.

Apparently there was trade offers on the table for him.. I do not know why they just let him go on Waivers.

If Huet can get us a 2nd round pick, when the time is right Halak should have no trouble fetching us more, especially if he still has time left on his contract.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Maybe.

That was mostly Burke painting himself in a corner, if they had waited until the deadline, I'm sure they could have gotten a 1st from Ottawa(as could the Habs for Huet).

I'm not sure about top 10, Bryzgalov had the potential to be an average NHL starter and that's what he is.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
How exactly do you quantify potential and likelihood to achieve it? For goaltenders, I find it's very hard if not impossible.

Personally, I see two goaltenders with a lot of talent. I like Price better because of how sound he is technically, because of his natural abilities,his size and his past performance notably during pressure situations. I do expect him to be better than Halak due to these things, but I can say with a guarantee that he'll be better... no. In the end, I'd rather go forward with both like SJ did with Nabokov, Toskala and Kiprussof. They assessed the situation and if you ask me, they made the right decision.
Easy. I think Price is more likely to reach his potential because of his size. Halak is less likely to reach his potential because of his size. That's biggest difference between Halak and Price.

The pressure situation thing to me, is at least a wash. Halak led an NHL team right back into the playoff race where-as Price has done a lot involving pressure as well. I think both goalies are very calm, cool, and collected. I doubt the pressure bothers either of them much.

Technically, Price may be a little bit better. But Halak has the most amazing lateral movement I've seen in a young goalie in a long, long time. Maybe it's just because we've been stuck watching Huet so long, lol. Price is more sound, but Halak is quicker.

SJ got the 2nd best goalie in that package, IMO. Kipper is generally considered a Top-5 while Nabokov is normally considered Top-10. But really, that's the key.. the difference between a Top-10 goalie, at least to me, is so minimal.

Of course you want Brodeur over Kipper or Nabby, but 10 times out of 10 I'd take Toews and Kipper over Brodeur and Kostopolous (spare guy who'd lose his spot for an elite player).

Of course with Halak and Price so young, it'd be a huge gamble to take.. and I'm not sure I'd do it.

Old
03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I would but I imagine I am in the minority. Stamkos to me...a cross between a Mike Bossy and Marcel Dionne
Bossy had a goalie, Marcel didn't...I'd rather have a goalie then a Marcel.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Easy. I think Price is more likely to reach his potential because of his size. Halak is less likely to reach his potential because of his size. That's biggest difference between Halak and Price.

The pressure situation thing to me, is at least a wash. Halak led an NHL team right back into the playoff race where-as Price has done a lot involving pressure as well. I think both goalies are very calm, cool, and collected. I doubt the pressure bothers either of them much.

Technically, Price may be a little bit better. But Halak has the most amazing lateral movement I've seen in a young goalie in a long, long time. Maybe it's just because we've been stuck watching Huet so long, lol. Price is more sound, but Halak is quicker.

SJ got the 2nd best goalie in that package, IMO. Kipper is generally considered a Top-5 while Nabokov is normally considered Top-10. But really, that's the key.. the difference between a Top-10 goalie, at least to me, is so minimal.

Of course you want Brodeur over Kipper or Nabby, but 10 times out of 10 I'd take Toews and Kipper over Brodeur and Kostopolous (spare guy who'd lose his spot for an elite player).

Of course with Halak and Price so young, it'd be a huge gamble to take.. and I'm not sure I'd do it.
Goalie is the one position that can screw up what the other 18 guys on the team are doing. You don't gamble on bad goaltending and you always want depth. That's why I think the Habs will try and find a good #3 for Hamilton this summer, plus maybe sign a 20 year old Junior FA or College FA...then draft an 18 year old in the top 3-4 rounds. We are strong at the NHL level but I think we have nothing after that, Danis peaked and he is not doing very well in the AHL, Desjardins has a funky style, not sure he will ever be an NHL goalie.

Old
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That was mostly Burke painting himself in a corner, if they had waited until the deadline, I'm sure they could have gotten a 1st from Ottawa(as could the Habs for Huet).

I'm not sure about top 10, Bryzgalov had the potential to be an average NHL starter and that's what he is.
CAREER STATS
2.42 GAA, .916 SV%

SEASON STATS on COYOTES
25-18-4, 2.33 GAA, .924 SV%

Bryzgalov is personally responsible for the Coyotes being anywhere near a playoff spot. With him, they are 7 games over .500. Without him they were 2 or 3 games under .500.

I don't see how he can't be considered, in the future, to be a Top NHL goalie.

Old
03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I would but I imagine I am in the minority. Stamkos to me...a cross between a Mike Bossy and Marcel Dionne
Bossy had a goalie, Marcel didn't...I'd rather have a goalie then a Marcel.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
CAREER STATS
2.42 GAA, .916 SV%

SEASON STATS on COYOTES
25-18-4, 2.33 GAA, .924 SV%

Bryzgalov is personally responsible for the Coyotes being anywhere near a playoff spot. With him, they are 7 games over .500. Without him they were 2 or 3 games under .500.

I don't see how he can't be considered, in the future, to be a Top NHL goalie.
I think guys like Mueller and Doan had as much to do with the turnaround.

Bryzgalov to me is an average NHL starter, if he puts up stats like that yearly, then I'll have to change my opinion of him...but not yet.

Old
03-17-2008, 04:42 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Remember when Price shut out the #1 team in the Eastern Conference, ya good times...
Who?
What?

What are you talking about... what has he done for us lately.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

So essentially that would be Price for the top of the Class of '08, whoever that might be. Stamkos? Doughty?

No way. I'd even think hard as to whether or not I'd want to take Tavares the next year.

We have been spoiled lately and think good goaltending grows on trees.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
guest1467

This is another case of, the next big prospect will be better. Nonesense.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Apparently,Stamkos has stated several times that he would appreciate to be selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs,his childhood team.He apparently also wants to be a important part of the team's rebuild as required.
Get Bettman involved and it will become a done deal.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:29 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bryzgalov to me is an average NHL starter, if he puts up stats like that yearly, then I'll have to change my opinion of him...but not yet.
Right now he's 10th in the league in GAA and 2nd in the league in SV%. He's also 12th in wins and 15th in shutouts on a non-playoff team.

The two previous seasons he was 13th/7th in GAA and 13th/21st in SV%, respectively.

In three NHL seasons, he's averaged 10th in GAA and 12th in SV%. He's improving as a goalie and this year he's been a Top-10 goalie in the league.

I can't see how he's just an average starter when he's getting better each season .. that'd be like calling Carey Price a low-end starter because he hasn't reached his peak yet (or been in the league long-enough to put up solid stats).

Old
03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Which team did better this year? Tampa, with Richards, St. Louis and Lecavalier, or New Jersey with Brodeur?

Goaltending can lead you to victory, and you can get those guys who score 30 goals a season to help your team along and have a better chance at being successful for a longer time, than with one offensive star.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Which team did better this year? Tampa, with Richards, St. Louis and Lecavalier, or New Jersey with Brodeur?

Goaltending can lead you to victory, and you can get those guys who score 30 goals a season to help your team along and have a better chance at being successful for a longer time, than with one offensive star.
That is an EXTREME example.

Holmqvist and Denis are quite possibly in the running for Top-3 worst NHL goalies, not just starters. Ramo hasn't been anything good either. Hell, Holmqvist, Denis and even Ramo (to this point) are probably worse than 3/4 of the AHL goalies.

If we did move Price for a Jonathan Toews, we'd still have Jaroslav Halak, who is on his way to at least, in my opinion, a Top-15 NHL goalie status in the next few years.

Old
03-17-2008, 06:40 PM
frederixx

Price is already ranked the #1 prospect in the world... why would we trade him for another, yet unproven prospect?

i'd keep Price without a second thought

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Alfie Turcotte

No way Jose !

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote