HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin almost traded to Montreal - per Ottawa Sun

Old
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Melvin Udall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil View Post
the Ottawa Sun is reporting that a trade between montreal and toronto was agreed upon by BOTH GM's that would have seen Sundin come to Montreal for HIGGINS, our 1st,2nd and 3rd.

but Sundin said no I want to stay and help my team

A deal was also sent to the NHL office that would have seen Kaberle sent to Philly for Jeff Carter and their first round pick..

plus the trades for Kilger, Gill and the other guy(which i forget right now)

Toronto would have had HIggins CArter and 3 first round picks, 3 2nd round picks and 3 third round picks..

plus both guys could have gone back in the off season....

Man I am glad Sundin is a habs fan...cause he sure as hel l didint help the leafs the way he could have..

but man Higgins and our picks for sundin... I wouldnt have been real happy with that

Beakeredit: Title

Personally, as a fan, I couldn't see Gainey giving up that much for Sundin -- not at his age and given the fact that he would have been a rental player -- doesn't make much sense to me!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Hey Billy, I saw you quote me in your signature (thanks for the honor). But the quote is wrong, so you should at least quote something I REALLY wrote

I never said a word about Sergei Kostitsyn, and I was more referring to Mikhail Grabovski than Kost Sr. And I never wanted Locke on the team. Come on !

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
What if Montreal would of landed Hossa for Halak/Grabovsky/Obyrne and whoever else, and we got Sundin for Higgins and multiple picks.

There was never any mention of making both deals....

I think even if you believe the Sundin rumor (which I don't); it was a one or the other scenario.... meaning if we got Sundin, the Hossa offer was off the table... and if we got Hossa the Sundin offer was off the table.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Don't thank God
Thank BOB!
Same thing.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
What if Montreal would of landed Hossa for Halak/Grabovsky/Obyrne and whoever else, and we got Sundin for Higgins and multiple picks.
What if Darth Vader never struck down Obi Wan?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Fantasy Hockey , thats all it is. The Penguins wanetd Higgins for Hossa and thats what made Bob say 'NO' but he was now ready to give Higgins to the Leafs?? Oh gimme a break...

Yeah, sure, riiiiiiite...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Kriss E

Sundin trade rumor is complete crap and i don't buy it for a second.
I just don't get how Gainey felt we would be giving too much to ATL for a rental, but yet willing to give up so much of our future draft(which is what made our team successful) on top of one of our supposed leaders.
I just don't buy it and I can't believe this was spread pretty everywhere by the media.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:14 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Which is exactly why I don't buy the Sundin deal for a second.
yah, its just pure crap, and against gaineys principles... I hope.

sundin = 37 years old ***** , who doesn't want to play here...

higgins + 1rst + 2nd + 3rd for that 37 years old crappy rent is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyy
too much.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
So?Koivu is a winner of the highest magnitude,he wants to win at any cost,even if it means to support the team in a reduced role.He wanted major changes to occur regarding this team in order to become finally competitive and now that the Habs are finally a contending team,he'd be disappointed?He'll do anything to win.
Didnt say he wasn't a winner or wouldn't want to win.
But yeah, it's obvious he'd be disappointed to lose his spot and minutes to another player. Any big competitor would, its only normal.
Does that mean his play would suffer from it, you clearly dont think it would. I ,on the other hand, have no idea how he would react.

How did Modano react to his ''C'' removal in Dallas? and losing his first line duties??..
I just dont believe he would take it as lightly as you say he would. And i think his reaction would be completely normal.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

I think the deal was more along the lines of Halak, Ryder, Streit, Dandenault and a 2nd for Sundin and a 5th.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:49 AM
mcphee

I was listening to Randy Tieman discuss the story with Steven Brunt yesterday. Brunt isn't a hockey beat guy and admits to not being a McKenzie type insider/expert.

He maintained that someone in a position to know, assured him that Higgins just wasn't on the table.

So, thinker that I am, I got to wondering who he would talk to.

From all that I can gather, his contacts are within the team's ownership. He has met them and spent time with them setting up a feature story that he did in Liverpool. So, in this case, I tend to believe Brunt.

I believe that Higgins name came up and often. I think that Gainey probably said his name to keep the conversation going, but I don't believe there was ever a firm offer for a rental that involved Higgins.

Could a statement have been made where Gainey would say, 'wait a minute, if Higgins is in the mix, I have to talk to Sundin first' ? Sure.

Fletcher wouldn't be the first GM to use a columnist to float a story. Better writers than Simmons get used in this way.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
What if Darth Vader never struck down Obi Wan?
Exactly man.The OP who got his thread merged in this one has asked a pretty stupid question.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I was listening to Randy Tieman discuss the story with Steven Brunt yesterday. Brunt isn't a hockey beat guy and admits to not being a McKenzie type insider/expert.

He maintained that someone in a position to know, assured him that Higgins just wasn't on the table.

So, thinker that I am, I got to wondering who he would talk to.

From all that I can gather, his contacts are within the team's ownership. He has met them and spent time with them setting up a feature story that he did in Liverpool. So, in this case, I tend to believe Brunt.

I believe that Higgins name came up and often. I think that Gainey probably said his name to keep the conversation going, but I don't believe there was ever a firm offer for a rental that involved Higgins.

Could a statement have been made where Gainey would say, 'wait a minute, if Higgins is in the mix, I have to talk to Sundin first' ? Sure.

Fletcher wouldn't be the first GM to use a columnist to float a story. Better writers than Simmons get used in this way.
In this case, I don't see it as writer getting used. I think it's more Simmons trying to remain relevant by taking a flier on a rumor and trying to suck up to Fletcher in the mean time. Face it, Fletcher is the only one that benefits from this article. Gainey appears to be overpaying and Sundin is selfish for not taking one for the team.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
In this case, I don't see it as writer getting used. I think it's more Simmons trying to remain relevant by taking a flier on a rumor and trying to suck up to Fletcher in the mean time. Face it, Fletcher is the only one that benefits from this article. Gainey appears to be overpaying and Sundin is selfish for not taking one for the team.
Maybe. Toronto's a different dynamic than Mtl, at least from things I've heard from guys like Brunt. The players are treated well while management takes all the abuse. Here, the abuse is spread evenly around.

I don't think much of Simmons though, and yeah, I can see him being a willing tool.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's interesting to see the different dynamic of the 2 cities. If a guy like Stajan or Steen(neither measures up to Higgins) were traded for a more veteran player, people in Toronto would flip out because they have so few productive young guys or prospects, but in Montreal, a guy like Higgins Lapierre or Chipchura is almost seen as expendably by most fans if you were to add a rental(only the most die hards would be pissed at a Higgins-Sundin trade) because the Habs are so deep in kids.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote