HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ciconne: Halak for T. Ruutu

Old
03-18-2008, 07:59 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Good, Ruutu is as overrated as they get.
Everyone who doesn't play for the Habs is overrated. Hilarious.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Ruutu would have been a great fit here and would have been nice to see him play with Saku

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I really like Ruutuu, he was on my under the radar list. If they didn't want to move Halak, they must rate him pretty highly.

From Chicago's pov, acquiring a goalie is curious. They've a good prospect of their own, Crawford, who's been well-groomed in the A. Maybe they were thinking that if Khabibulin could be moved......, 2 young golaies could evolve on a good young team....

Health is the only concern, or whether injuries have slowed his game, but the Chicago version's a good player.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Ruutu is out too often because of injuries and we already have a guy who can miss a match because he sneezed too hard in Breezer. Pass on Ruutu.

Although i still say that a line composed of Ruutu-Tootoo-Cheechoo would be as much fun to watch as to listen to..

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
AH

Ruutuu is too injury prone for my liking.

Nice talent, poor physiology.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Blades 0f Steel

This hype with Ruutu compared to how people projected Andrei Kostitsyn really chaps my ass. Andrei was only 22 when most on this board projected him to be a bust, yet all we hear about Tuomo is potential this and potential that.

I'd love to personally smack every poster here that likes Ruutu this year and was ready to give up on Kostitsyn last year.

Quote:
What's hilarious is your take on this. What part of Ruutu's stats are encouraging? How often do/did you hear people rip on Higgins, Latendresse and Andrei Kostitsyn?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:27 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_46 View Post
Bob will make the right move when the time come... Sure hope that time is this summer and that move is Hossa!
It'll be hard to fit him under the CAP.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
It'll be hard to fit him under the CAP.
Should I defer you to one of the 7,500 posts on Marian to see that it's not the case?

Old
03-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
This hype with Ruutu compared to how people projected Andrei Kostitsyn really chaps my ass. Andrei was only 22 when most on this board projected him to be a bust, yet all we hear about Tuomo is potential this and potential that.

I'd love to personally smack every poster here that likes Ruutu this year and was ready to give up on Kostitsyn last year.
The grass is always greener syndrome.... Sometimes we only see highlights of guys playing in the other conference, but we see a lot of our own boys.... so we are overly critical of our prospects but overly hyped on other teams players. Or sometimes we are overhyped on our guys and don't realize how good other teams guys are.... It all depends on how much the media hypes the other teams.

For example, I think Mueller is really underrated in the East. Tom Gilbert too... these are two young kids doing great things for their teams, but the media isn't all over them, and we don't see a lot of the little things these guys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_46 View Post
Bob will make the right move when the time come...
Sure hope that time is this summer and that move is Hossa!
HOSSA!!

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The grass is always greener syndrome.... Sometimes we only see highlights of guys playing in the other conference, but we see a lot of our own boys.... so we are overly critical of our prospects but overly hyped on other teams players. Or sometimes we are overhyped on our guys and don't realize how good other teams guys are.... It all depends on how much the media hypes the other teams.

For example, I think Mueller is really underrated in the East. Tom Gilbert too... these are two young kids doing great things for their teams, but the media isn't all over them, and we don't see a lot of the little things these guys do.
Well, there's a lot of 'feel good' rookie stories with Gagne in Edmonton and Toews and Kane in Chicago. I always hear broadcasters rave about Mueller though.

Old
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I used to like Ruutu a lot but ... wow did this guy bust or what! Only 26 points this year?

Too bad the injuries killed his career.
His career is far from over, i mean look at how good Antropov did compared to the other years before, a Latendresse-Koivu-Ruutu could be interesting

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

HOSSA!!

Sometimes you fall in love with the idea of a player rather than the reality. Maybe Ruutu's a guyt like that. Skill and grit's what comes to mind for me. After a few serious injuries, both attributes could have diminished but my one glimpse of him this year doesn't make me an authority.

When you assess values, we make a lot of assumptions. In the end, a GM has to decide what a guy's worth to 'me'. If Gainey felt strongly that Halak was a guy he wanted going forward rather than a good prospect, that changes things. The goalie market was low, early in the year so most of us would assume that Halak couldn't get you a solid player. Then we see him play 2 good games, we're on the bandwagon and are relieved that he's still here.

Things change ehh, and if anything, it proves how we're only trying to guess how players are valued.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

One thing about Ruttu vs Halak that people have not mentionned is that Halak's service time clock has barely started while Ruttu's is already at 4 or 5 years so he is going to be UFA after his next contract.

The Habs can sign Halak pretty cheap(0.8-1.1 mil/year for 3 years) on a new contract this summer and in 2-3 years once he is proven, he could be used like Mike Smith in the trade for Richards.

Having cheap talent in nets will help the Habs keep their young RFA's long term and maybe add a star UFA.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Maxpac

one idea that comes to mind is maybe Gainey could of tried harder to trade Huet of Ruutu instead of a 2nd round pick

Old
03-18-2008, 09:21 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
one idea that comes to mind is maybe Gainey could of tried harder to trade Huet of Ruutu instead of a 2nd round pick
No thanks, I prefer the 2nd rounder in '09.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No thanks, I prefer the 2nd rounder in '09.
well ya i'm also happy that we have a another 2nd rounder in a deeper draft, not to mention that we'l probably be in a better position next year to win the cup, so that 2nd rounder becomes a tradable asset for an impact player, but Ruutu imo could of really turned around here, especially playing with Finnish center Koivu

Old
03-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Ross MacLochness

I don't know what happened to Ruutu's skills the last 2 years. He's been relatively healthy but regressed big time. I remember being amazed at his play in the 3 (I think?) WJC he was in. For a while there in 2002-04 I thought for sure he'd end up better than Mikko Koivu.

Dude scored 25 goals his rookie year no? Had almost a point a game for the second half of his rookie year. He must have no confidence anymore. If he gets it back he's definitely a guy I wouldn't mind having.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Dragon

Quote:
You know why? It is because in the past decade, any player got traded away from Montreal played much better (e.g. LeClair, Desjardins... the list go on and on) and the player got traded to MTL played a lot worse after the trade. That's why if you are a Habs fan and you rate a player on other teams, you have to map it to the Habs lineup by multiplying the players' abilities by a factor of 0.x. So it is normal that "Everyone who doesn't play for the Habs is overrated.".

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I highly doubt the hawks were looking to pick up a veteran, soon to be UFA goalie with Khabibulin still on the books next year.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:09 AM
jordy

It seems that Gainey wanted to get everybody at the trade deadline but didn't have the guts to give up everyone. Why would he not trade OUR back up goalie for a young hard nosed pest like Ruutu? Man i would have loved to see ruutu in our line up. Even though hes not having a great season so far the potential is definately there especially if they put him with Saku.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
It seems that Gainey wanted to get everybody at the trade deadline but didn't have the guts to give up everyone. Why would he not trade OUR back up goalie for a young hard nosed pest like Ruutu? Man i would have loved to see ruutu in our line up. Even though hes not having a great season so far the potential is definately there especially if they put him with Saku.
Because Halak > Ruutu?

We needed someone who could fill the pipes should Price drop the ball (which fortunately he has yet to do, cept against the Sharks). Goaltending > Forward.

If Ruutu was available for a lesser price, or was less injury-prone and lived up to his full potential once he was here (impossible to tell) it may have been a worth while trade.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
zaluty

The Halak/Price combo will be good for 2 more years then Halak will probably want a legit chance at the number 1 spot. Gainey will then have to make a decision on which goalie to keep and trade the other.

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
The Halak/Price combo will be good for 2 more years then Halak will probably want a legit chance at the number 1 spot. Gainey will then have to make a decision on which goalie to keep and trade the other.
I agree with you.. By holding onto Halak, Gainey can really put on a poker face.

We have two young guys, who are already pretty good in their own respect that have the potential to be #1 goalies. How can you throw one away for a *as he plays today* a borderline 2nd line player?

By retaining both Price & Halak, our netminder situation is pretty well a lock for the future. Seeing as how both are still young, thus "prospects" if you will, there is still a chance that one of them may or may not work out. This extremely increases our chances of getting solid netminding for the future.. Should they both turn out to be studs (which I see happening), then Gainey can throw the cards on the table and get something to improve his team in another department.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Because Halak > Ruutu?

We needed someone who could fill the pipes should Price drop the ball (which fortunately he has yet to do, cept against the Sharks). Goaltending > Forward.

If Ruutu was available for a lesser price, or was less injury-prone and lived up to his full potential once he was here (impossible to tell) it may have been a worth while trade.
Just wondering why didn't Gainey trade Huet for Ruutu then. Or was that 2nd rounder too tempting?

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
Just wondering why didn't Gainey trade Huet for Ruutu then. Or was that 2nd rounder too tempting?
Chicago wanting a 22 year old goalie i understand....
Chicago wanting a 30 year old UFA goalie makes no sense, especially with Khabibulin under contract next year at a substantial salary.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote