HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tuesday Lineup: Halak Starts + Mondays Practice Lines

Old
03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madness1980 View Post
I like Halak... but he did shutout one of the worst teams in the league... Price should be getting the start... I smell trouble going around the bend
Halak earned the start. Say what you will. Price is the clear number 1, but Halak earned the start. Besides, now we get to play price in both games against the B's.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Woah there, hang on a second. Halak better than Price? People, Halak started two games this year, on against an above average offensive team (PHX) and the other against one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Thats it, thats all. Before we proclaim him better than Price, let's see him play teams like Philly, Toronto and Pittsburgh (against whom Price has played well) before we feel "safer with Halak than with Price". Im sure Halak wouldnt have looked so good against those teams, not to mention he didnt have to do anything against Phx and the Islanders.

I cant believe some people think Halak will be our number one down the road. Where have all you been before the two easy wins Halak just had? No one said anything and now suddenly after two measly wins against weak teams some people's thoughts have been swayed? I like Halak, he is quick and agile but also small and not as good a puck handler as Price. Price may have some weird games where he gives up questionable goals, but what do you expect from a 20 year old rookie? I guarantee you in two years if all goes well, Price will be 3 times the goalie Halak is now and as I already said, I like Halak.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
From TSN.ca
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn
Streit - Smolinski - Kostopoulos
Begin - Lapierre - Dandenault
Whoa. Just noticed that the league is letting us dress 5 forward lines...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
This is funny...

Outsiders opinion and resident Ranger fan here but love your board and all the passion y'all show.

But just read all 9 pages of this and I'm sitting here shaking my head as there really is nothing to see here. When Huet got dealt there were 17-18 regular season games remaining. Did anyone who knows anything about hockey, in their right mind think that Price was going to play all of them...eh? It was clearly obvious that Carbo was going to play Halak 3-4 times or so in a back to back situation like what occured with the Ducks/Kings games and an odd game or two here or there as the regular season came to a close.

So what's the big deal that Carey gets to sit a week with 8 games left and Halak gets rewarded with 2 consecutive after pitching a shutout even if it was the offensivly challenged Islanders? He deserved it but Price is clearly going to get a ton of playing time down the stretch here. I think maybe Halak gets one more game...two tops of the remaining games. In fact, he might not even get any with the top spot in the east still very much in doubt as they'll likely want Price to play all of them as he's quite rested now, ready to go and he's played extremely well since Huet left town.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here but its obvious Gainy/Carbo have hitched their wagon to Price as he's the clear #1 with Halak as his talented backup and yet people in here cause they are used to goalie controversies since Sir Paddy left town, they want to see some sort of controversy here even when there is none...its actually pretty humourous.

It aint happening folks...Price is clearly the man and I really feel bad for you guys as he'll most likley be the man in Montreal for oh...say another 10-12 years!....heh

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Outsiders opinion and resident Ranger fan here but love your board and all the passion y'all show.

But just read all 9 pages of this and I'm sitting here shaking my head as there really is nothing to see here. When Huet got dealt there were 17-18 regular season games remaining. Did anyone who knows anything about hockey, in their right mind think that Price was going to play all of them...eh? It was clearly obvious that Carbo was going to play Halak 3-4 times or so in a back to back situation like what occured with the Ducks/Kings games and an odd game or two here or there as the regular season came to a close.

So what's the big deal that Carey gets to sit a week with 8 games left and Halak gets rewarded with 2 consecutive after pitching a shutout even if it was the offensivly challenged Islanders? He deserved it but Price is clearly going to get a ton of playing time down the stretch here. I think maybe Halak gets one more game...two tops of the remaining games. In fact, he might not even get any with the top spot in the east still very much in doubt as they'll likely want Price to play all of them as he's quite rested now, ready to go and he's played extremely well since Huet left town.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here but its obvious Gainy/Carbo have hitched their wagon to Price as he's the clear #1 with Halak as his talented backup and yet people in here cause they are used to goalie controversies since Sir Paddy left town, they want to see some sort of controversy here even when there is none...its actually pretty humourous.

It aint happening folks...Price is clearly the man and I really feel bad for you guys as he'll most likley be the man in Montreal for oh...say another 10-12 years!....heh
You sir bring to much logic into the Habs board...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Maximus-

Quote:
...I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here but its obvious Gainy/Carbo have hitched their wagon to Price as he's the clear #1 with Halak as his talented backup...
Gainey has clearly pegged Price as the #1, Carbo has not done so unless I missed it.

Quote:
But Carbonneau said it was important to have two capable goaltenders.

"You're looking for a No. 1 at one point, but I've been here for three years and we've used both goaltenders every year. The future is going to tell us what we have, but I always say you need two good goalies. If you have (Martin) Brodeur, who can play 75, 76 games, then it's easier.
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...45e09a&k=22260

Last edited by ToysInTheAttic: 03-18-2008 at 09:57 AM.
ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
My bad Harry...I try and do that occassionally at the Rangers board where we are just about as passionate about our team as you all are about yours. But like the Habs board, there is so much emotion going on at times and we love our teams so much, logic often times take a back seat. Anyways I'll try to refrain from this logical thinking in any future posts....

Seriously, you guys have such a great situation here in Montreal with two extremly talented goalies that I'd venture to say that no team in the NHL has the kind of upside that y'all have here and that includes my boys with King Henrik between the pipes as we have no one like a Halak backing him up. Just doesn't compute to me as to why alot of folks in here seemingly want a non sensical goalie controversy crapola to commence when in reality there isn't even a sliver of one....guess it makes for good entertaiment for some. But really, there is nothing of note to see here...Price is clearly the guy and Halak is clearly the backup....what a horrible problem....

Anyways, good luck to you guys and hopefully Habs and Rangers can renew acquaintences in a months time or so down the road in what would be one heck of an exciting matchup....cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Maximus-

Gainey has clearly pegged Price as the #1, Carbo has not done so unless I missed it.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...45e09a&k=22260
I've been following the whole Price/Halak drama since training camp very closely as I have both guys on my fantasy team and from what I gather, its Gainey who wanted Price from the onset to make the team and Halak be sent down. So your right in that perspective. That being said, unless Carbo all of a sudden has more clout than Gainey(extremely doubtful) and unless Carbo is not seeing what any any of us is seeing, I'd think its safe to say despite what Carbo is saying publicly, he's convinced himself now that maybe...just maybe Gainey made the right call by insisting on Price as he's showing more and more that he can handle the load as the #1 guy.

So I don't think both of us missed anything its simply that Gainey runs the show and its evident Carbo is now a believer in Price....pretty simple.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-18-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old
03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Streit - Smolinski - Kostopoulos
Gorges - Bouillon - O'Byrne

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
My bad Harry...I try and do that occassionally at the Rangers board where we are just about as passionate about our team as you all are about yours. But like the Habs board, there is so much emotion going on at times and we love our teams so much, logic often times take a back seat. Anyways I'll try to refrain from this logical thinking in any future posts....

Seriously, you guys have such a great situation here in Montreal with two extremly talented goalies that I'd venture to say that no team in the NHL has the kind of upside that y'all have here and that includes my boys with King Henrik between the pipes as we have no one like a Halak backing him up. Just doesn't compute to me as to why alot of folks in here seemingly want a non sensical goalie controversy crapola to commence when in reality there isn't even a sliver of one....guess it makes for good entertaiment for some. But really, there is nothing of note to see here...Price is clearly the guy and Halak is clearly the backup....what a horrible problem....

Anyways, good luck to you guys and hopefully Habs and Rangers can renew acquaintences in a months time or so down the road in what would be one heck of an exciting matchup....cheers
Thank you...I wasted like 10 posts trying to explain that yesterday.

There's really no issue here. There just always seems to be a 'divide and conquer' type of mentality here. Some people are actually trying to say that it might be a bad thing if Halak gets a shutout tonight???

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:40 AM
HotPie

Quote:

Good post. The only controversy that exists is in that of people's minds.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Good post. The only controversy that exists is in that of people's minds.
Thanks Hotpie. Though I will say this, this supposed goalie controversy that is being forced upon you and some of your other fellow "logical" bretheren is a heck of alot more entertaining than some of the "controversies" we have on the Rangers board like "should we play Marik Malik tonight or bench his a$$ or "is the babe Sean Avery is dating lately hot or not"....heh.

Actually check that...I've read some of the other threads on your board and you guys have similar ridiculous ones as well.....

Old
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Streit - Smolinski - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Lapierre - Dandenault

Markov
Komisarek
Hamrlik

Price

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Streit - Lapierre - Dandenault
Bouillon - Smolinski - O'Byrne

Markov
Komisarek
Hamrlik

Price

fixed

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I wasn't ready for it either. Woah... cool.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:

The voice of reason.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote