Ellis to the rescue!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 12:11 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Ellis to the rescue!!!

There's been a big mess with the Steelheads lately. First round of the playoffs, Salt Lake was supposed to send Ellis down to play goalie for us, but then they realized if he played that he couldn't go back up to play for them if they make it into the playoffs. Add to that our main goalie couldn't play game one because of injury. We had signed Betz, a goalie from Ohio St. to play game one, in which we lost.

Allison returned for game 2, which we also lost.

So, game 3, back home in Boise. Vegas wins, Steelies are out of the playoffs (best of 5 series). I wasn't sure if Ellis had been sent down to help us, but he was

I knew we'd win tonight, and we did 2-0. Thanks in no large part to Ellis, who made some strong saves and looked amazing all night. If he can play that way the next 2 games I don't see why the Steelies can't come back from 2-0 down to win 3 games to 2.

I took plenty of pictures, it'll be a while for me to clean them up a bit and upload them, but when I do i'll provide the link.

Ellis

Old
04-11-2004, 03:31 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

http://golfmade.g5sports.fotopic.net/c152326.html

Old
04-12-2004, 06:00 AM
LehtsGo

Those are awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

I really like Ellis. I don't know if they are doing the rotating backup thing for Marty whenever next year is, but don't you get the feeling the organization as a whole is a lot more comfortable w/Ellis than either Smith or Cash? And then I kind of get the feeling that they feel like they've invested all this time in Cash & are now really wishing they could have dumped him at the trade deadline. Anyway, I hope Ellis sees some real time w/Dallas next year.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehtsGo
Those are awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

I really like Ellis. I don't know if they are doing the rotating backup thing for Marty whenever next year is, but don't you get the feeling the organization as a whole is a lot more comfortable w/Ellis than either Smith or Cash? And then I kind of get the feeling that they feel like they've invested all this time in Cash & are now really wishing they could have dumped him at the trade deadline. Anyway, I hope Ellis sees some real time w/Dallas next year.

Cash could be involved in a draft day deal. Unfortunately, few teams need goalie prospects and most teams already think they have a goalie of the future. Unfortunately, most end up AHL fodder. The best tact is to not take any goalie unless it is a Fleury/Luongo type talent in the first three rounds and then take a number of Euros later on when you can keep thier rights. Now we have have three top picks Stephan , cash and Ellis who have little or no trade value. One could go but more likely one starts as marty's back up and the other is in the ahl assuming we can get a franchise. And smith remains in limbo. Really not well handled by the Stars

Old
04-12-2004, 09:44 PM
GoGrizz

Hey guys, long time since I've been on this board since the USAF sent me to Europe, and then to Baghdad for almost all of the season...However, I DID get to see Ellis play in three games this year (the last three) and he was freakin horrible. Granted, three games does not a season make, but I was very un-impressed with him. Didn't cover the puck well and seemed pretty tentative. The only way he sees the AHL next year is if Cash takes the #2 slot in Dallas and it's Smith and Ellis in Utah (or wherever the Dallas affiliation lies, since word here in Utah is the Grizzlies are dumping the Stars affiliation.)

Old
04-15-2004, 01:43 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Ellis.

Shuts out Vegas tonight 3-0 as the Steelheads win 3 straight games to win the series 3-2. We lost the first 2, Ellis comes back for game 3 and I knew we would win the series with him in net, and we did. We now face Alaska in the second round.

THANK YOU ELLIS

Old
04-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Slats432

Just to enter this conversation, I would agree that the best time to move one of the goalie prospects would have been the past deadline. A team like Edmonton, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, could have definitely been looking in the right deal.

The problem with moving one of them now, is that the 2004 draft is highly regarded for goaltenders....Dubnyk, Schwarz, Montoya, Brown, Schneider, Julien Ellis are all good prospects....reducing the value of prospects that may be available in trade.

The upside is it is far better to have a few good prospects in goal as opposed to right now Edmonton has their hopes pinned to one in Jeff Deslauriers.

Strange enough though, I had always heard that Bacashihua was the better prospect but now with much of the talk that seems to be changing to Ellis.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Strange enough though, I had always heard that Bacashihua was the better prospect but now with much of the talk that seems to be changing to Ellis.
Bacashuihua has more talent than Ellis, but Ellis has consistently played to near the fullest of his ability whereas Bacashihua has been noted for not making the most of his talents so far.

I do have to admit, though, that I think Bacashihua is getting the message after the Stars gave Ellis the only start out of the three minor league goaltenders. He performed much better in the second half of the AHL season than he did in the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGrizz
However, I DID get to see Ellis play in three games this year (the last three) and he was freakin horrible. Granted, three games does not a season make, but I was very un-impressed with him. Didn't cover the puck well and seemed pretty tentative.
It's strange though. Ellis was by far the best performing goaltender in camp (and he played a strong game in Dec.) and also played really strong in the ECHL. Perhaps you caught him in some bad games. Now, Ellis is far from flawless (rebounds can be a problem and he's a poor puck handler), especially after being forced to carry a NCAA team any way he could for three years, but he still has a good chance to be a quality AHL goalie next year.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:50 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Ellis was the reason Idaho came back from 2 games down to win the series. Next is Alaska, who, much like Vegas, we finished tied with through the season. However, I was much more worried about Vegas because their main goalie Maglaraditti (sp) stones us cold some times.

With that said, I fully expect the Steelies to beat Alaska in 4, Ellis will be the MVP of the team.

Old
04-22-2004, 04:12 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
With that said, I fully expect the Steelies to beat Alaska in 4, Ellis will be the MVP of the team.
Who da man!?!?!?!?

Steelies win in 4 (and in doing so in Alaska the fans there threw bottles and ***** on the ice, nice class! :lol )

Not sure yet who is the MVP but, as I predicted, Ellis will probably get it.

On to the western conference finals!

Old
04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
LehtsGo

I'll be really interested to see where the Stars are planning on sticking the third goalie. One will be in Dallas backing up Marty, & not necessarily the same one all year. One will be in Houston, but their deal is only one. Where's the third one going to go? Are they planning on signing another primary or partial affiliation deal? Or are they just going to spread prospects around different teams.

Old
04-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Dr GLU

The third goalie will probably be in Idaho. The Stars affiliation there is still good, I believe.

Old
04-26-2004, 05:48 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/ec...chl042604.html

Old
04-27-2004, 10:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Ellis 35/38 tonight in a 5-3 win against Gwinnett tonight in the first game of the WCF.

Old
05-02-2004, 12:53 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

A few thoughts after tonights 3-1 Idaho win.

1) The arena was near capacity, glad to see, I think final attendance was 5,300 and the place was rocking. Especially nice since most other ECHL playoff games have averaged like 2-3,000

2) Idaho was able to get Gwinnett on their heels a bit, but in the third period things turned a 180. Luckily Ellis made some huge saves and got lucky a few times.

3) Garnett looked decent although what respect I was having for him during the game left after he knocked the net off when the Steelies had big pressure in the zone. No call from the refs, despite no one being near the net "Oops, look the net is off..."

4) These two teams hate each other, which i'm sure is in some way just a sign of respect. From the first puck drop players on each team were yapping at each other, big hits and a few tussles although no outright fights.

5) Ellis looked solid, the lone goal against him he couldn't have done much, and he made some big saves as Gwinnett was crashing the net. He was the second star of the night.

I took pictures, after I upload them i'll post the address here if anyone is interested.

Closed Thread