HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Carbonneau for Jack Adams

Old
03-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

vCash: 500
Guy Carbonneau for Jack Adams

Do you see him as a top 3 candidate this season? I'm thinking he's looking good if the Habs finish top 2 in the East, especially considering a lot of people didn't see us in the playoffs back in October. I see his main competition for the hardware to be Dave Tippett.

What are your thoughts on the top three?

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:30 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Olivier Michaud.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I think he has to be considered the favourite at this point. For a long time I considered Babcock the favourite ebcause his team was simply playing at an unearthly level, but they have come back down to earth over the last month and as a result Carbonneau is my new pick.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Babcock
Sutter
Carbonneau
Tippet
Julien
Therrien

Those are all great choice's.If the Habs can pull off the division,I think Guy will have a great chance to win the Jack Adams..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Munchinator

I would love to see him win it, I think that if the Caps make the playoffs Bruce Budreau (sp) will likely win it. I think a lot of people tend to forget that the Habs were pegged at missing the playoffs, too, though.

Munchinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Guy Germaine

Absolutely. For a team that most of the "experts" had pegged in the 10th to 14th spot, I think he's done pretty good with them.
Still have the no.1 PP for a 2nd consecutive year and a very good PK.

He'll definelty get considerations.

So where's all the haters that thought he should have been fired for having Smolinski on a 5 on 3 PP, or playing Price over Huet, or playing Streit and Dandy as forward?? havent seen many of those post since the team's been in first place.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Carbo is a lock for the Jack Adams Trophy imo. He seems to have the Midas touch this season. No matter what questionable line-up decisions he makes the team keeps doing well, so he must be doing something right.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:33 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
i think its a given... looking back and with most pundits and experts saying a 13th place finish and out of the playoff race should have been expected, sitting and constantly ranking in the top five in the eastern conference is a blessing on his coaching, even if he does lose points for playing smokes, Breezy, and Cop!!! hahahaha

Collect in the ballots... Guy you've done us proud!!!

English Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Avant-Gardien

I think Carbo has to be considered a viable candidate this year, just based on the differential between expectations going into the season and how the team has played (and placed.)

Avant-Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab View Post
i think its a given... looking back and with most pundits and experts saying a 13th place finish and out of the playoff race should have been expected, sitting and constantly ranking in the top five in the eastern conference is a blessing on his coaching, even if he does lose points for playing smokes, Breezy, and Cop!!! hahahaha

Collect in the ballots... Guy you've done us proud!!!
YOU SHOULD lose the sheep skin and stop following the general opinions of HF board posters.
If you were to form an opinion based on comments from these boards a month ago then you would think that Carbo is the worst coach of all time(even though anybody saying it have probably never coached and dont realize that it's more than just posting the lines on a board), that Smolinski is the worst hockey player ever( he's one our best FO guys, good PK er and has almost 30 points playing on the 3rd and 4th line) and that Gainey is an absolute imbecile.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

If Guy Carbonneau is not atleast one of the coaches nominated, I will re-nounce any meaning any NHL award ever handed out has.

Fact is our team was written off and thrown to the curb as a bottom-tier team in the East, and we are sitting at 2nd right now battling it out for 1st. We've proven we weren't just overachievers, we are for real. I'm not saying he should be a lock to win it, there is still 10 or so games left and alot can still happen.. But he needs atleast a nomination.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Brisk-Illusion

It's not that I wouldn't like to see a Habs' coach with the Jack Adams, I'm having a hard time seeing what Carbo has done to deserve it.No real system or progress to speak of.

Last year the team was relying on PP and goaltending.

This year the team has relied on PP and goaltending.

The main difference is that our goalies didn't have a meltdown mid-season, and that Kovalev have been much better, and therefore also the PP.

I give Guy credit for keeping things under control all season, but I don't really see what "coaching" he's really done.

Then again, maybe thats the whole genus of it.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
Absolutely. For a team that most of the "experts" had pegged in the 10th to 14th spot, I think he's done pretty good with them.

He'll definelty get considerations.

So where's all the haters that thought he should have been fired for having Smolinski on a 5 on 3 PP, or playing Price over Huet, or playing Streit and Dandy as forward?? havent seen many of those post since the team's been in first place.
Not like if it was a good decision....

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
It's not that I wouldn't like to see a Habs' coach with the Jack Adams, I'm having a hard time seeing what Carbo has done to deserve it.No real system or progress to speak of.

The main difference is that our goalies didn't have a meltdown mid-season, and that Kovalev have been much better, and therefore also the PP.

I give Guy credit for keeping things under control all season, but I don't really see what "coaching" he's really done.

Our strengths are still our strengths.... this is a bad thing??? Don't know how you can hold that against Carbo.

Our 5 on 5 play has improved to the point that we are near even for the season... We have scored a ton more goals 5 on 5, to the point where we are now 1 goal away from being the highest scoring team in the league. There's progress if you look for it.

Also our kids have really matured.... think Komisarek, Plekanec, Jimmy and Billy, Gorges, all are much improved over last year. Price, and O'Byrne have made big impacts on the club, and Lats and Halak are also key contributors.

Plus a guy who gets Kovalev to give 82 games of effort has to be worth something.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
HotPie

I really wonder if all the Carbo bashers are going to switch bandwagons if he wins the Jack Adams.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I really wonder if all the Carbo bashers are going to switch bandwagons if he wins the Jack Adams.
For a few games, until we lose 2 or 3.

This city is a "what have you done for me lately".. Koivu has 2 bad games.. he needs to be traded. He has 2 good game.. its OMG CAPTAIN K IS THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER!!!

We really are *******s to our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
We are HORRIBLE on the PK. 23rd is not "very good."

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Lachenaie

It's sure that Carbo deserves to be nominated. To absolutly win, it's another thing. He had the chance to have an healthy squad all season long.

You look at Therrien, Julien and Babcock had impact injured players and was able to pull it off and remain on top. Right now, my vote goes all the way to Claude Julien who was able to manage something with this team.

Carbo did a good job, but I think that others coaches deserve it more.

Lachenaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

We are HORRIBLE on the PK. 23rd is not "very good."
Agreed.

For the guy that said Smolinski is good on the PK? Check the Stats.. Tomas Plekanec / Alex Kovalev... Our two best offensive guns, are infact our best guys on the PK. Working on the PK is probably the #1 need of thing that should be addressed in the off-season. Luckily for the most part we are disciplined and don't take too many penalties.

Aside from our PK, our team has done a pretty darn good job at everything this year.. Besides beating Spezza.

Old
03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

That is, considering you've seen everything that has played out in the locker room and behind closed doors...

As if motivational skills aren't considered.

As if because you say Carbs hasn't implanted a system, that it's the truth.

As if he isn't giving orders to his assistants who in turn do a good job.

Yours are the same type of lame arguments given to bash Gainey's jobs... Timmins' work, the good draft picks... Gainey is only a passenger

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachenaie View Post
It's sure that Carbo deserves to be nominated. To absolutly win, it's another thing. He had the chance to have an healthy squad all season long.

You look at Therrien, Julien and Babcock had impact injured players and was able to pull it off and remain on top. Right now, my vote goes all the way to Claude Julien who was able to manage something with this team.

Carbo did a good job, but I think that others coaches deserve it more.
I could coach the Penguins into the playoffs.

Therrien was just lucky that Conklin was so good this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Agreed.

For the guy that said Smolinski is good on the PK? Check the Stats.. Tomas Plekanec / Alex Kovalev... Our two best offensive guns, are infact our best guys on the PK. Working on the PK is probably the #1 need of thing that should be addressed in the off-season. Luckily for the most part we are disciplined and don't take too many penalties.

Aside from our PK, our team has done a pretty darn good job at everything this year.. Besides beating Spezza.
Ryan Johnson .

Bring him in to replace Smoke.

Especially if Grabovski heads home.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-18-2008 at 12:00 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I think he is a legit candidate for the jack adams... for a team that was pegged to finish in the bottom 5 of the league.... who are now fighting for 1st in the eastern conference....
not saying he will win it.... but he should be a finalist

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:41 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Ryan Johnson .

Bring him in to replace Smoke.

Especially if Grabovski heads home.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

He should come relatively cheap, and he is effective... Jesus Price I hope Gainey tries to get this guy!

Old
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
NSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Babcock
Sutter
Carbonneau
Tippet
Julien
Therrien

Those are all great choice's.If the Habs can pull off the division,I think Guy will have a great chance to win the Jack Adams..
Don't forget Jacques Lemaire with the Wild

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Our strengths are still our strengths.... this is a bad thing??? Don't know how you can hold that against Carbo.

Our 5 on 5 play has improved to the point that we are near even for the season... We have scored a ton more goals 5 on 5, to the point where we are now 1 goal away from being the highest scoring team in the league. There's progress if you look for it.

Also our kids have really matured.... think Komisarek, Plekanec, Jimmy and Billy, Gorges, all are much improved over last year. Price, and O'Byrne have made big impacts on the club, and Lats and Halak are also key contributors.

Plus a guy who gets Kovalev to give 82 games of effort has to be worth something.
I agree we've improved 5 on 5, but IMO thats mostly because of a better defensive core, Hamrlik and Georges are miles better than Souray and Dandenault 5 on 5. And I donno how much of the kids' progression we can accurately attribute to Carbo.

We've made lots of progress, but I don't see Carbo's contribution as evident to it as other coaches to their team. And that might decide the Jack Adams.

Also, remember we haven't suffered any major injures besides losing Hamrlik for a few games, and we were brutal in them. Julien has lost half his lineup and still has his team going.

I'm not tying to bring Carbo down (don't worry I'll do that once he plays Brisebois in an OT playoff game ) but when objectively looking at different coaches' positive impact on their teams, its hard to say no other coach could have done what Carbo did with the Habs this season.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I agree we've improved 5 on 5, but IMO thats mostly because of a better defensive core, Hamrlik and Georges are miles better than Souray and Dandenault 5 on 5. And I donno how much of the kids' progression we can accurately attribute to Carbo.

We've made lots of progress, but I don't see Carbo's contribution as evident to it as other coaches to their team. And that might decide the Jack Adams.

Also, remember we haven't suffered any major injures besides losing Hamrlik for a few games, and we were brutal in them. Julien has lost half his lineup and still has his team going.

I'm not tying to bring Carbo down (don't worry I'll do that once he plays Brisebois in an OT playoff game ) but when objectively looking at different coaches' positive impact on their teams, its hard to say no other coach could have done what Carbo did with the Habs this season.
Jesus don't even say it, he'll hear you and may actually do it.