HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ciconne: Halak for T. Ruutu

Old
03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
Just wondering why didn't Gainey trade Huet for Ruutu then. Or was that 2nd rounder too tempting?
I would have done this hands down, I don't think Chicago had any interest in Huet though giving his UFA status and having Khabibulin under contract for next season (thus no real room to sign Huet for next season if they wanted to).

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
ti-vite

Because a pending UFA goalie had very little value.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
Because a pending UFA goalie had very little value.
Precisely.

I am predicting that should we re-sign Halak this summer, and I trust we will. Should Price have a good season, there will be MUCH better offers for Halak throughout the season/deadline.

Old
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Precisely.

I am predicting that should we re-sign Halak this summer, and I trust we will. Should Price have a good season, there will be MUCH better offers for Halak throughout the season/deadline.
We also have little other depth in goal right now.... Danis is our third string, if he leaves (as I suspect he might want to, being given no shot at a backup job for the last couple years)... then we have no reliable third string, whatsoever.

As good as Desjardins was in the ECHL, he hasn't brought it consistently at the AHL level yet... if one of Price/Halak is hurt i don't trust him.

Halak must be resigned.
Danis or another journeyman with NHL experience (Clemmenson/Leighton type) must be signed for Hamilton.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We also have little other depth in goal right now.... Danis is our third string, if he leaves (as I suspect he might want to, being given no shot at a backup job for the last couple years)... then we have no reliable third string, whatsoever.

As good as Desjardins was in the ECHL, he hasn't brought it consistently at the AHL level yet... if one of Price/Halak is hurt i don't trust him.

Halak must be resigned.
Danis or another journeyman with NHL experience (Clemmenson/Leighton type) must be signed for Hamilton.
Any chane Heino-Lingberg comes over? Or do we no longer have his rights?

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Halak must be resigned.
Yup I agree.

I'm sure Gainey wouldn't pull the trigger on Halak until he was 1. 100% sure Price is going to be a lock. 2. He could get an adquate replacement as a back-up.

Ryder, Halak & a 2nd for Lecavalier anyone?

Old
03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Noldo

Regarding T.Ruutu...

Ruutu has had more than his share of injuries, both somewhat freaky (ankle injury caused by blade) and more or less results of his playstyle (back injuries). After World Championships 2006, he hinted even about retiring (he was more or less injured during the tournament and was practically no-show [0+0 in 9 games, 49 PIM]).

Based on World Championships 2007, I would say that the talent he demonstrated in World Cup 2004 is definetly still there. How he have not managed actually to carry it through in NHL is wonder to me, but Ruutu has even self said that he was happy just to manage to play through season 2006-07, so injuries has probably still taken their toll on him (at least mentally). He definetly has skills to be more than just a wrecking ball.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Any chane Heino-Lingberg comes over? Or do we no longer have his rights?
I never heard about us losing his rights...but he's no longer on the official Canadiens website under "prospects". The only two goalies we have left in that section are Yann Danis and Loic Lacasse (why did we actually sign this guy again?).

Its weird because we still have players like Korneev that are part of our prospect pool....We must have let Heino-Lindberg go at one point. Its too bad, because I thought he was an intriguing prospect. He's a very athletic goalie, but I remember seeing that his technique was a little "wild" at a development camp. He has pretty good potential.

We would defenitly need to sign another goalie this summer....Lacasse is presently with the Bloomington Prairie Thunder in the IHL and has a 3.19 GAA ...somebody help....

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I never heard about us losing his rights...but he's no longer on the official Canadiens website under "prospects". The only two goalies we have left in that section are Yann Danis and Loic Lacasse (why did we actually sign this guy again?).

Its weird because we still have players like Korneev that are part of our prospect pool....We must have let Heino-Lindberg go at one point. Its too bad, because I thought he was an intriguing prospect. He's a very athletic goalie, but I remember seeing that his technique was a little "wild" at a development camp. He has pretty good potential.

We would defenitly need to sign another goalie this summer....Lacasse is presently with the Bloomington Prairie Thunder in the IHL and has a 3.19 GAA ...somebody help....
Heino-Lindberg needed to be signed to a contract and he wasn't.... Korneev was a little different due to the lack of a transfer agreement we were granted more time with the Russians. Perhaps someone can explain the difference as I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details of how and why.... but for the present we own Korneev's NA rights, but not Heino-Lindberg's.

Desjardins should also be listed as one of our goalie prospects. I think they rate him ahead of Lacasse. He was choosen to go to Cincinatti at the start of the season, while Lacasse was loaned out. We only had one goalie spot in Cincy and they gave it to him, originally.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Shabutie

I get the feeling that Halak might be signed by another team as an RFA this off-season.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I get the feeling that Halak might be signed by another team as an RFA this off-season.
Lets hope they sign him to a huge contract, bring on the draft pick compensation!!

Gainey needs to get Halak locked up before July 1st.

Old
03-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Lets hope they sign him to a huge contract, bring on the draft pick compensation!!

Gainey needs to get Halak locked up before July 1st.
Precisely. If they sign him to 2.5-3m he'd be worth the picks imo.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Precisely. If they sign him to 2.5-3m he'd be worth the picks imo.
$2,343,764 - $3,515,645 1st and 3rd round pick

Not a bad return, considering the 09 Draft is said to be extremely deep.

I could see someone offering Halak something of that nature if his play continues this well this season.... Its a gamble, but its not a huge cap hit considering.. Worst care scenerio he is a rock solid backup? Better deal then Emery or Gerber at their salaries.

Old
03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Ginoro

Nobody would offer over 2.3 when the Habs probably wouldn't match a 2.2 multi-year deal anyway... Which would mean they get a 2nd only in that case

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginoro View Post
Nobody would offer over 2.3 when the Habs probably wouldn't match a 2.2 multi-year deal anyway... Which would mean they get a 2nd only in that case
Never say never.

Teams that need goaltending might take a risk with him

Old
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
peperebougon*

since when Nichola Ciccone knows hockey?

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Miller Time

I would have made that trade on the spot...

Ruutu, as he is playing this season, would have been a very useful player for the habs down the stretch and in the playoffs, and, he's young enough that there's always the chance that he breaks out down the road and becomes closer to the player he was projected to be.

Halak is very good, might even be great one day, but we have Price and I'm really not a big fan of going with the 1a/1b tandem. In the end I think you rarely see both goalies playing up to their potential. THe constant shifting in and out of the #1 role messes with their "mojo", and you end up with either one guy taking the reigns or both delivering less than expected. In either case, your eventually forced to move one, or face losing him to free agency, and so you never get a good return on the players value.

Ruutu for Halak would have a good return imo.

I really hope that we see Halak traded in the offseason for decent value and then we sign an aging vet to back up price (Kolzig comes to mind).
Keeping two young guys who are both ready for #1 duty will be a mistake in the long run.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote