HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Guy Carbonneau for Jack Adams

Old
03-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
And I donno how much of the kids' progression we can accurately attribute to Carbo.

We've made lots of progress, but I don't see Carbo's contribution as evident to it as other coaches to their team. And that might decide the Jack Adams.
One of the biggest points about Carbo is something you can easily compare. At the start of the season, people like Pierre McGuire were attacking Guy Carbonneau because he wasn't nice enough to his players, and stated how John Torterrela was a good example of a guy who was there for his players. Carbo challenges his crew every night to work harder, and doesn't try to be everyones friend. That's why Torts' team is #15 in the East and Carbo's team is #2. The same happened with John Paddock in Ottawa. He wasn't challenging the boys and they slumped collectively.

That's why Carbo should get the Jack Adams. He challenged his team to win, and they did.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Stradale

I was never a fan of Carbo but i have to give him some credits. I always believe that the player doesnt want to play for him and lacks of motivation sometime but he prove me wrong at this point of the season.

I still believe that he still has to LEARN a lot about game decision wise. Dont like when he match our 3rd or 4th line against the oppenents best line, or making thing to switch momentum in a game, things like that.

But yeah, he should be consider for the Jack Adams.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachenaie View Post
It's sure that Carbo deserves to be nominated. To absolutly win, it's another thing. He had the chance to have an healthy squad all season long.

You look at Therrien, Julien and Babcock had impact injured players and was able to pull it off and remain on top. Right now, my vote goes all the way to Claude Julien who was able to manage something with this team.

Carbo did a good job, but I think that others coaches deserve it more.
Julien is a clown.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Lachenaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Julien is a clown.
Explain?

Lachenaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
One of the biggest points about Carbo is something you can easily compare. At the start of the season, people like Pierre McGuire were attacking Guy Carbonneau because he wasn't nice enough to his players, and stated how John Torterrela was a good example of a guy who was there for his players. Carbo challenges his crew every night to work harder, and doesn't try to be everyones friend. That's why Torts' team is #15 in the East and Carbo's team is #2. The same happened with John Paddock in Ottawa. He wasn't challenging the boys and they slumped collectively.

That's why Carbo should get the Jack Adams. He challenged his team to win, and they did.
Bingo! and I've said it 3-4 times as well; Carbo doesn't need the coaching job for living...he earned enough money as a player. Not like Therrien, Julien, Vigneault who "had to please" the players to stay in the league.

He challenges them, but to me he is a very fair coach as well and gives them a couple of days off when necessary even though they may have played an awful game the night before.
His approach in terms of interaction with the players is similar to his approach of the game; a North-South pattern...not a East/West fancy thing! Keep things simple, be honnest, work hard. Oh...and WIN; that's the result.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
brownman*

Did McGuire really try to peg Tortorella as a player's coach? Isn't he one to call players out basically everyday? I'd say the Lightning are 15th because they only had 4 players (now 3) as opposed to any lacklustre coaching.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Did McGuire really try to peg Tortorella as a player's coach? Isn't he one to call players out basically everyday? I'd say the Lightning are 15th because they only had 4 players (now 3) as opposed to any lacklustre coaching.
It was in the Fire Carbonneau thread:

Quote:
Pierre McGuire said that when he was calling the game between the benches on Tuesday, he noticed Torts was very close with his players. He was praising them, encouraging them, getting up pumped up...He said he's very different behind the bench than he is in front of the media. He treated the players like equals, and generally was a positive presence behind the bench.

He then said Carbo challenges everybody, no matter who it is. Even Koivu and Kovalev, and other vets. He's constantly challenging everyone, telling them to work harder, and never really encouraging anyone. Then Muller would go and give the guys praise for the things they did right, kinda like a good cop bad cop type of thing. He said Muller is a huge positive influence and brings alot of energy and positivity to the bench, while Carbo doesn't.
This was from December 13th.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:10 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
That's always been my issue with Carbonneau.

The team has been doing really well and Carbonneau deserves credit, but not because he treats his players like crap and tells them they always need to do more.

It's proven that people need recognition and respond better to positive reinforcement than negative criticism.

It's good to challenge your players, but if you're always negative, people will tune you out. I think Muller has had a major impact on this team.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
That's always been my issue with Carbonneau.

The team has been doing really well and Carbonneau deserves credit, but not because he treats his players like crap and tells them they always need to do more.

It's proven that people need recognition and respond better to positive reinforcement than negative criticism.

It's good to challenge your players, but if you're always negative, people will tune you out. I think Muller has had a major impact on this team.
How do you know everything that Carbonneau has said to the team? I think from what I hear in the press is that he is a very fair man. He gives accolades to those who deserve them (last night he spoke very highly of Halak and Kovalev on clips I saw.) He also has high expectations. There are lots of times this season when the players could do better. So he lets them know. I think he has struck a great balance between motivation and positive reinforcement.

By the way, I love captain Kirk as a player and a coach, but people need to recognize that as an assistant coach, it is his job to be close to the players. If Muller were a head coach, he would also be harsh on his team at times. Carbonneau has to come down on them at times, Muller doesn't. Therefore, Muller doesn't really have to deal with the logistics of benching guys, calling players out, etc., so he seems like the best guy in the world compared to Carbo. I find it funny when people criticize Carbo for doing his job well and give Muller compliments for doing his job well.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Biggsy

Forsure a strong candidate

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSi View Post
Don't forget Jacques Lemaire with the Wild
Absolutely, Lemaire has to be considered. I think we tend to take him for granted these days, but he's done a great job with the Wild.

Babcock should be a front runner as well. He's got some fantastic players, but he should still get credit for using them to their fullest potential. Babcock's obsession with using his top line in D-zone faceoffs makes the Wings really difficult to score against.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
YOU SHOULD lose the sheep skin and stop following the general opinions of HF board posters.
If you were to form an opinion based on comments from these boards a month ago then you would think that Carbo is the worst coach of all time(even though anybody saying it have probably never coached and dont realize that it's more than just posting the lines on a board), that Smolinski is the worst hockey player ever( he's one our best FO guys, good PK er and has almost 30 points playing on the 3rd and 4th line) and that Gainey is an absolute imbecile.
Thank you.... your opinion is apprecaited!!!

and i guess when you say almost 30 points, you really mean 21 right???

But once again many thanks for your opinion....

Last edited by English Hab: 03-18-2008 at 03:03 PM.
English Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
northstarnicky

Carbo CANNOT be considered a top coaching candidate. Doesn't matter if Montreal takes the Cup this year which is a possibility. The simple fact that O'Byrne is in the pressbox and Brisebois is in the lineup takes any top coaching accolades from Mr. Carbo.

In case U didn't notice, I am being a tad tongue-in-cheek on my statement, but I am NOT HAPPY!

northstarnicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I'm not tying to bring Carbo down
You're kidding right? Half your posts since last year were just that. Just say you don't like the taste of crow.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
jcpenny

I was one of those who was bashing him earlier but ive never called for his head. Carbs learned a lot from last season and this year and it showed.

Cause no longer than the beginning of the season Carbonneau didnt even believe that his team had enough talent to compete offensively with the top teams in the league or to comeback when trailing. I even saw players buying into what he was saying and basically not believing in their abilities.

I remember Koivu saying that he agreed with Carbs and that the team had to win 2-1 games to have a chance at the playoffs. Thats where we saw Carbs handcuff them and thats where most of us were angry cause we knew this team had lots of talent.

Then comes the turnaround; SK 74 comes in and gives us 3 lines that can score for the first time in a long long time. Then Carbs started to fall in love with that idea and started to bench marginal players who were usually his favorites (Begin, Dandenault, Kosto, Smokes). Carbs starts to get it; talent + hard work wins you way more games then hard work alone. So here we are today with one of the best offense in the league, somthing Carb never believed but learned to understand; his team does have a lot of talent.

So people here can make fun of the carbo bashers because he looks good now but the truth is that they were right. Carbo sucked but now hes getting it. It took time but we had to be patient.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Weather he will win it or not is one question but IF montreal Finishes 1st in the east he definetly has to be a candidate.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

On the upside, Montreal's PK has been much improved since the start of March. While facing many of the league's elite teams the Habs' PK rate is up at 83.4% (31 of 37).

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Alain Racette

Carbo is likely to be nominated. I don't know about winning.

My bet is Boudreau, if the Caps make the playoffs. If Boston makes the playoffs, Julien is another contender. I also like Sutter.

At the end of that day, my money is on Boudreau, especially if the Caps make the playoffs.

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote