HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamrlik in awe of Montreal

Old
03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think that's why he put the sarcasm smiley.
well... my sarcasm detetor is broken I guess

Or maybe he just thought that the center (RIP) would not change anything

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Finally one UFA signing that doesn't disapoint. To the players who are scared of signing here, they should stay away...If they aren't willing to come here to perform every night, why sign 'em?

Ps: Kovalev shouldn't really be considered a UFA signing, since he was with the team before signing.

That's a load of BS sorry. If Hossa signs in Pitts after july first it's a UFA signing. Every team has a chance to make an offer and the player can accept any offer.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
[/B]
That's a load of BS sorry. If Hossa signs in Pitts after july first it's a UFA signing. Every team has a chance to make an offer and the player can accept any offer.
Yes but the player has had a "trial" with the city and team. Which gives the team a certain advantage that other teams don't have...Especially Montreal, cuz all europeens seem to love Montreal most.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
[/B]
I agree. Anytime the player gets pass the July 1st mark.

Technically, last year's Markov signing wasn't a UFA signing, merely a contract extention as it was done before July 1st when the team still had rights over him.

Kovy was free to sign anywhere he wanted.

gainey bashers do not like to admit that.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
When asked about Montreal's performance this year, he says "Yes I'm surprised."

He says he didn't see the Canadiens much during his 2 years in Calgary.

"We're better when we play as a team. We have a number of young players in the line-up, but everyone can be a leader in their own way."

"Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, and Tomas Plekanec are all young veterans who have taken their spots."

"The support of the fans is incredible! I'd never seen anything like that in my career before coming here. We really feel it on the bench."

"The season's not over. There are still 9 games left to play and we have yet to clinch a playoff spot. That's our goal. Once we're in the playoffs, anything can happen. It's another season."

Many thanks for the translation Saku.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
I want to put an word + an emoticon but instead, I'll try to express an opinion.

Hamrlik is a stud on defense and, notwithstanding the fact he might be overpaid according to some experts, he plays efficiently every games, which is what Montreal fans want.
Yes...he's overpaid...and its funny how our defense got a lot better and Calgary's defense went from tops in the league to just average without him...Lets be honest and say that we wouldn't risk playing O'byrne in a top four without him. To me he's worth every penny.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

More evidence that the fan/media opinions about Montreal as a hockey destination are based at least in part on insecurity and outdated biases.

In player survey after player survey Montreal is shown to be a respected market for players.

Add in some team competitiveness, stir, and you'll get comments like Hamrlik's in abundance.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Yes...he's overpaid...and its funny how our defense got a lot better and Calgary's defense went from tops in the league to just average without him...Lets be honest and say that we wouldn't risk playing O'byrne in a top four without him. To me he's worth every penny.
So, question - if he's worth every penny why is he overpaid?

This may be one of the purest examples of a players total impact exceeding any single particular column that can be sorted at the in NHl.com stats portal.

With so many hyperpriced UFA's bombing with their new teams, which yet still establish the new cost standard for the next year's hyperpriced yet bombing UFA's it's great to see a signing have this level of impact.

I'll go out there and say that Hamrlik is not overpaid. He's a steal. Especially when you consider the risks Gainey faced with respect to the landmines (less productive players) that get out to the market year after year.

When you can avoid the landmines and find a player this productive it's a good signing. Even at Hamrlik's salary.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 08:03 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Yes but the player has had a "trial" with the city and team. Which gives the team a certain advantage that other teams don't have...Especially Montreal, cuz all europeens seem to love Montreal most.
Every friggin UFA has had a try with a team....You're basicaly saying that only when the go sign elsewhere they are UFA's. Makes no sense what so ever.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote