HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Int vs Senior Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2008, 08:05 AM
  #1
32leaguer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Int vs Senior Sticks

Maybe a dumb question, but are intermediate sticks just for 'kids'? I'm 33, about 165, and 5'8" and am trying to get a stick with the right flex for me. I have a TPS Nash Adrenaline Senior Regular Flex right now, but I had to cut it down a couple inches, maybe making it closer to a 100 flex or so (based on a flex chart I saw). So, I'm looking to get something in the high 70's to low 80's but also NOT have to cut down the stick. Are intermediates a good idea? Any suggestions? Thanks!

32leaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
  #2
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
I'm 6ft 1, 180lbs and play with an INT stick. Alot of senior sticks seem too wide for me get a good grip of so I tend to gravitate to the INT's. Most that I use are only 2inches or so shorter than the seniors so it all works out. Most shorter (no offense) guys I know also do the same (unless the have gorilla paws for hands like my best friend (5ft 7, hands like shaq he just hacks down a senior stick....

like most equipment I say if it feels right, go for it

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:59 AM
  #3
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 500
I'm about your size and I've tried Int sticks. They were ok, I found that a 77 flex was the best for me. I think most Ints are 67ish flex. Bauer and Warrior make sticks that are 75/77 and TPS makes a whip.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
  #4
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
6'1 and you use an intermediate? how.
i break 100 flex sticks senior no problem and im 6'2

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
  #5
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
6'1 and you use an intermediate? how.
i break 100 flex sticks senior no problem and im 6'2
Maybe your shooting technique blows. The flex has very little to do with how durable a stick.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
  #6
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
6'1 and you use an intermediate? how.
i break 100 flex sticks senior no problem and im 6'2
Damn you're doing something wrong then lol

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
  #7
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
INT have too much whip for me and i'm 5'7 180lb

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
  #8
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32leaguer View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but are intermediate sticks just for 'kids'? I'm 33, about 165, and 5'8" and am trying to get a stick with the right flex for me. I have a TPS Nash Adrenaline Senior Regular Flex right now, but I had to cut it down a couple inches, maybe making it closer to a 100 flex or so (based on a flex chart I saw). So, I'm looking to get something in the high 70's to low 80's but also NOT have to cut down the stick. Are intermediates a good idea? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Intermediates can work for adults as well. It's all personal preference, two guys the same size (amazingly) might have two different playing styles. Personally like a whippier stick but a stronger guy would snap mine with little effort.

Would definitely check out the intermediate lengths in person. The intermediate sticks tend to have different shaft dimensions as well, which you may or may not like.

Companies are starting to come out with more 75 flex senior models. So if you cut off an inch or two, they'll end up closer to 80 flex. Warrior does, I know for sure the Bauer one90 comes in a 77 flex senior. If I recall correctly, some of the upcoming 2008 Easton sticks/shafts will come in 75 flex senior.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
  #9
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
The tapered shaft would not yield as much flexibility when you cut it compare to regular shaft.
I do not cut mine. I extend it. I am 6'2" 218 lbs. I play with CCM V8.0 INT 67 flex shaft, which I extend 2" so I get somewhat around 64 flex. Never broke anything, except when blade gets in between the boards... I could use stiffer shaft and get a better slap shot, but then wrister and snapshot would suffer. When I play D, I switch to 75 flex, same make.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:58 PM
  #10
garrettfritz
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
hey, I'm 6' 6" 220lbs and havent had a stick since I was younger(and shorter). So now I need to get a stick to get back on the ice... so, what size/flex should/can i get?

thanks!


Last edited by garrettfritz: 03-18-2008 at 04:15 PM.
garrettfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:13 PM
  #11
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettfritz View Post
hey, I'm 6' 6" 220lbs and havent had a stick since I was younger(and shorter). So know I need to get a stick to get back on the ice... so, what size/flex should/can i get?

thanks!
Hrm 6'6.....you might want to check out some of these pro stock Warrior shafts that come in 110/115 flex (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...haft-ak27.html). Although the shaft might be a bit too short for you. I believe Warrior is coming out with a deluxe shaft which is six inches longer than normal.

But of course, that all depends on your skating style and personal preference (ie, stick length). Flex is definitely personal preference. Braydon Coburn is roughly your size and uses a 120 flex. Unfortunately most companies don't usually make anything over 110 flex for retail.

If you're just getting back into playing ice, I'd drop $20 on a cheap wood stick and then calibrate from there (length/flex/curve/etc) to see what kind of stick you want. You don't want to be the guy who drops $150+ on a stick only to hate it after a couple sessions.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
  #12
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 21,754
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Hrm 6'6.....you might want to check out some of these pro stock Warrior shafts that come in 110/115 flex (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...haft-ak27.html). Although the shaft might be a bit too short for you. I believe Warrior is coming out with a deluxe shaft which is six inches longer than normal.

But of course, that all depends on your skating style and personal preference (ie, stick length). Flex is definitely personal preference. Braydon Coburn is roughly your size and uses a 120 flex. Unfortunately most companies don't usually make anything over 110 flex for retail.

If you're just getting back into playing ice, I'd drop $20 on a cheap wood stick and then calibrate from there (length/flex/curve/etc) to see what kind of stick you want. You don't want to be the guy who drops $150+ on a stick only to hate it after a couple sessions.
Holy Hell thats one stiff stick Batman.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
  #13
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Holy Hell thats one stiff stick Batman.
Doesn't Chara use the equivelant of like 150 flex?

And I'm pretty sure Thornton uses like 125ish

(but don't quote me on it)

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
  #14
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Holy Hell thats one stiff stick Batman.
har har that's what she said

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 06:17 PM
  #15
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If you can you may just want to try out both sticks. I know a few guys around my size prefer a lesser flex because of how they shoot (preffering wristers and snap shots) but I don't get the same feel from an intermediate as I do a senior. I'm 6'3" 180lbs

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 06:33 PM
  #16
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Maybe your shooting technique blows. The flex has very little to do with how durable a stick.
well... actually ive got great shooting technique. 100 flex is definately too flexible. ive actually made a hard pass and snaped the stick in half although it was already nearly broken but still. 110 is what i use and its great for me. just the right flex. maybe im just more stronger strength on my shot than you do i dont know but for me 100 flexes like an 50.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:47 PM
  #17
brother52
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
I'm 5'7, 150, and use Int shaft with about 67 flex. Senior sticks give me somewhat better grip because of thicker shaft, but make my wrister is much weaker. I also got the impression that it's easier to shoot properly with a flexier stick. As my shooting technique improves, I might switch to a senior stick.

brother52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
  #18
Phoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
i have a 100 flex senior stick that I cut down to closer the length of an intermediate. I only just recently realised that that changes the flex.

I'm 5'7. I'm getting another stick with a much lower flex and I thought of getting int (I used to have one) but am thinking of experimenting with a longer stick.

My only problem is i'm thinking of composite and I didn't particularly want to cut that down.

Btw, when the shaft of a composite breaks (near the blade) and you saw it off, and stick on a replacement blade - does anyone have anything to say against that?

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
  #19
JayDubayou19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY/FLA
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
I'm about 5'7" and i have a Vector 2.0. I use a thornton curve on a senior 88 flex. Sometimes i still think its a bit whippy. Different stick makes have different values for their flex numbers if you get what im trying to say.

JayDubayou19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 03:46 AM
  #20
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
i have a 100 flex senior stick that I cut down to closer the length of an intermediate. I only just recently realised that that changes the flex.

I'm 5'7. I'm getting another stick with a much lower flex and I thought of getting int (I used to have one) but am thinking of experimenting with a longer stick.

My only problem is i'm thinking of composite and I didn't particularly want to cut that down.

Btw, when the shaft of a composite breaks (near the blade) and you saw it off, and stick on a replacement blade - does anyone have anything to say against that?
Works great. Some shafts are easier than others to cut and insert a new blade.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.