HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game takes: You get what you deserved as Blues win in shootout

Old
03-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
W I personally don't know why Carbo tempered with it in 3rd, because it was clearly his best line.
Because the man refuses to admit the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder (at even strength) line is dead. Every time they show a sign of being back on track he tries it...even if another line that is working well is broken up as a result. It's frustrating.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

vCash: 500
I enjoyed the game.

The Habs played like a team that can be dominant but decided to give an average performance. OK if it happens once in a while.

I liked what I saw from just about everyone tonight (although no one really stepped up), with the exception of Smolinski, who was terrible as usual, and Streit & Brisebois who were average.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
stupid post

They didn't play "great" the first 2 periods, but the 3rd and OT were all played in the Blues' zone. The big difference tonight is the Blues' PK.
habs woke up in the 3rd, out shot st louis 13-5 i think and played most of the OT in the blues' zone. once in a SO it's a crap shoot so i'm not too upset losing it that way

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pathetic.

I kind of called it on Sunday morning in the out of town thread:

Habs at home against a bad team = guaranteed the game will be far tougher than it should be. The Habs got what they deserved. Check that, they deserved nothing for taking the first 40 minutes for granted. They play the whole game like they did in the third, they walk out with 2 points and quite easily.

On to Boston. Brisebois better be OUT. Smoke better be OUT for that atrocious error that led to the Blues first goal. Don't worry about Pleks line, they WILL tear it up against the Bs like they always do.
Yeah...not to jump on your call here, but I had that feeling all day long too.

Looking at how the Blues have played the past 10-15 games, they were due for alot of things + with like you said, the Habs have a big back to back coming up.

good for game for Grabovsky's line, not so much for Plekanec's

Meh...whatever, i'll take the pity point, it's not the time to get picky right now

This game hurts more if the Habs drop the ball the next two games...The loss tonight, pretty much puts the pressure on the team to sweep the back to back. And the Bruins, just like the Blues, are due...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Africa.

Hey at least we get a point...good thing it's a western team too. Now please beat the Bruins.

Africa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:28 PM
kernkraft

We played the third period. Basically.

Very disappointed in the 1st line tonight, missed a lot of chances, couldn't do anything in the shootout.

Grabovski looked awesome tonight. Apart from that open-ice hit, I loved everything I saw from Mikhail, didn't get taken out physically, used his speed, used his creativity and won an important faceoff at the end of the game. Thumbs up in his case (same for Sergei K, I can't say the same for Andrei).

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Hopefully this is a wakeup call.

Rationally, the game was won on a fairly lucky shootout goal, and the point is huge, because it keeps Ottawa from catching up by winning the game in hand. And I knew Montreal would not win all four of NYI-STL-BOS-BOS. It puts more pressure on winning those Boston games though.

But looking at this game, I am extraordinarily frustrated. Montreal was clearly a much more skilled, talented team, created a ridiculous amount of changes, and if they had played the entire game like they had the third period, they would have won this game handily. They totally dominated the third period. I hope this serves as a lesson, and I hope the lesson sticks. I also particularly hate how this furthers the "the West is so strong the Kings would win the Eastern lolz" crap.

I don't feel like doing a deep analysis here, I am far too ticked off. Kostitsyn, Grabovski had strong games. Latendresse was pretty good, as was the Koivu line. In fact all the lines had their moments in the third period, and looked like turd in the second.

Smolinski playing himself off the team again. He's paid to provide reliability and he is not doing that. Plekanec looked off, and it broke the chemistry of the first line.

Finally. Goaltending. Halak had to stop that second goal. Here is a textbook display of how deflating one soft goal can be. That resulted in the craptastic second period, was the turning point, the mistake that lost the game, IMHO. Definitely, he is not a threat for Price's job as #1 for the foreseeable future. I hate to pile on him, he did not get a huge game from his defense, but he wasn't up to the task.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HotPie

I personally think Carbo should start giving Koivu's line some 3rd line minutes. It's not that Koivu has been playing bad (although his penalties, deserved or not, are getting frustrating), but simply that I think Grabovski, Higgins, and Sergei deserve a shot. They've been our most effective line for the past 2 games and were responsible for at least 2 goals again tonight.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
I enjoyed the game.

The Habs played like a team that can be dominant but decided to give an average performance. OK if it happens once in a while.

I liked what I saw from just about everyone tonight (although no one really stepped up), with the exception of Smolinski, who was terrible as usual, and Streit & Brisebois who were average.
the thing about slowinsky is that the guy makes soft play after soft play. 3 on 5..has chance to get it out, passes to an unsuspecting komo = goal...several times throughout the game has a chance to get it deep, shoots it off of defenders shin pads for odd man rushes

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
kernkraft

On a different note, I fully expect Brisebois and Smolinski/Kostopoulos to be out of the line-up on Thursday night. O'Byrne and Lapierre should be back in.

Old
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Hab-a-maniac

The numbers look scary for Boston. Aren't we something like 23-9 after losing? That and our dominance of them (5 straight in Boston btw) makes it scary. We'll need to do our usual against Boston and then some. They will give it their all considering their playoff lives are at stake.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I personally think Carbo should start giving Koivu's line some 3rd line minutes. It's not that Koivu has been playing bad (although his penalties, deserved or not, are getting frustrating), but simply that I think Grabovski, Higgins, and Sergei deserve a shot. They've been our most effective line for the past 2 games and were responsible for at least 2 goals again tonight.
the kovy line didnt get any points so they should play 4th line now?
if you look at the saku line they played overall less min then the s.kosty line combine.

Last edited by ari1160: 03-18-2008 at 10:38 PM.
ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

A point, no injuries, I'll take it. A lot of good teams have lost to the Blues, live and learn.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
stupid post
The point we lost tonight is HUGE since Ottawa likely will have the wins and definitely the head-to-head tiebreakers on us. We had the chance to go 4 up on Ottawa (with them having a game in hand) and we blew a point because we sleepwalked through the 40 minutes. How can you deny that?

We NEED to win the division. The difference between NJ/Pittsburgh/NYR and PHI/BOS/BUF is MASSIVE.

I am still not worried about this team if you took it that way. I expect a GREAT game from us against Boston on Thursday. We have only had one GREAT game in our last 8 (New Jersey game, we are due) and it will be good to face our long time rivals. The emotions will be running HIGH.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
When can you guys drop the Sen avatars?
Hopefully soon.......They are driving me crazy. If the Habs lose to the Bruins on Thursday you guys are gonna have to stop with the avatar betting thing. That is bad luck for the Habs.....

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
On a different note, I fully expect Brisebois and Smolinski/Kostopoulos to be out of the line-up on Thursday night. O'Byrne and Lapierre should be back in.
Lapierre is the type of guy who could have really made a difference tonight.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:33 PM
number 11

a loss on carbo's birthday!

**** happens. next 2 games are huge, let's be ready boys.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
The positives :

- Lines 2&3 played well. (lets hope Carbo keeps them together for more games, this was not the problem tonight)

- We have a point.

- Smolinski and Brisebois might be replaced by O'Byrne and Lapierre.

- Pittsburgh lost.

See? Its not that bad!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Hopefully soon.......They are driving me crazy. If the Habs lose to the Bruins on Thursday you guys are gonna have to stop with the avatar betting thing. That is bad luck for the Habs.....
the bet is for saturday's game.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sir Jacques Demers

at least Koivu tried a different move

Old
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Carbonneau really messed up tonight, its not even funny

i cant stand this guy as a coach, even if we had won the game, he is just not a good NHL coach, what terrible decision making, DURING the game ANd the players he chooses to scratch, smolinski and brisebois over lapierre and obyrne?? YOU DESERVE this loss Carbo

ALSO what the hell did you take higgins off the grabovski line for?!?!!?

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Lapierre is the type of guy who could have really made a difference tonight.
Not true. Smolinski is. For the opponent....

Great news is that chances are, Smolinski and Brisebois are out. And the goalie controversy is over.....for now.....

I would sit Kostopoulos as well even though he didn't play too badly. Still, Bégin needs to play.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Carbonneau really messed up tonight, its not even funny

i cant stand this guy as a coach, even if we had won the game, he is just not a good NHL coach, what terrible decision making, DURING the game ANd the players he chooses to scratch, smolinski and brisebois over lapierre and obyrne?? YOU DESERVE this loss Carbo

ALSO what the hell did you take higgins off the grabovski line for?!?!!?
I'm usually all for bashing Carbo but I think you're overreacting tonight. The problem (IMO) was that the 1st line isn't bringing it anymore.

Old
03-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

I don't think it's fair to blame carbo tonight... he's fine tuning for the playoffs....

Granted Smolinski has had enough chances. He's done.

Old
03-18-2008, 10:35 PM
BigTimer*

Terrible game for Smolinski and Brisebois. A team that expects to win even a single game in the playoffs can't have crap like those two guys dressed for a single game.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote