HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stafford's medical status

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Stafford's medical status

Anybody have anupdate on Stafford's condition?

In the zany world of hockey, a player's suspension is largely determined by how badly hurt his victim is...

Old
05-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Anybody have anupdate on Stafford's condition?

In the zany world of hockey, a player's suspension is largely determined by how badly hurt his victim is...
He was out of the hospital yesterday ALREADY... The guy had a grade 3 concussion (small one), he lost teeths (like every professionnal players), but I don't know if he has other injuries.

Old
05-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Actually, he was released on Friday night.

Old
05-02-2004, 11:19 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
He was out of the hospital yesterday ALREADY... The guy had a grade 3 concussion (small one), he lost teeths (like every professionnal players), but I don't know if he has other injuries.
There's a link...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=82347

Old
05-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
The guy had a grade 3 concussion (small one)
Actually, grade 3 concussions are the most severe...

Old
05-02-2004, 11:46 AM
eddy

Grade 3 concussion, severe facial lacerations and was released from hospital and back in cleveland. A guy on the San Jose board also said that he tried to convince the team to let him play tonight, which I find hard to believe, but the team of coarse wouldn't let him.

Old
05-02-2004, 01:19 PM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Grade 3 concussion, severe facial lacerations and was released from hospital and back in cleveland. A guy on the San Jose board also said that he tried to convince the team to let him play tonight, which I find hard to believe, but the team of coarse wouldn't let him.
Glad too see its not as serious as I thought... The guy's career will not be ended because of that shot....

Old
05-02-2004, 01:26 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by furax
Glad too see its not as serious as I thought... The guy's career will not be ended because of that shot....
agreed his career will not be ended but he has some serious injury because of that Perez will get like 20-25 games of suspension !

Old
05-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
agreed his career will not be ended but he has some serious injury because of that Perez will get like 20-25 games of suspension !
Well because the injuries are less serious than everybody thought, he will get a smaller suspension in my opinion... its shouldn't work like that... but hey! its American Hockey!

Old
05-02-2004, 01:41 PM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I think Perez is gonna get a suspension for the rest of the playoffs... and he deserve it... however i think he'll be able to play from the beginning of next season...

Old
05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Slick Nick

Good news, I hope he'll be ok.

Old
05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Capitano

Something tells me it'll be the rest of the playoffs + 25 games next year.

Cap

Old
05-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by furax
I think Perez is gonna get a suspension for the rest of the playoffs... and he deserve it... however i think he'll be able to play from the beginning of next season...
That wouldn't be enough to determine until after the Cleveland series. 2 games would serve no purpose.

Old
05-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
That wouldn't be enough to determine until after the Cleveland series. 2 games would serve no purpose.
You're right, it'll probably be a stipulation regarding the outcome of the series. If they were to be eliminated then they would add onto the following season's suspension.

Cap

Old
05-02-2004, 02:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
A guy on the San Jose board also said that he tried to convince the team to let him play tonight, which I find hard to believe, but the team of coarse wouldn't let him.
Once a concusion is reported to the league a player cannot play for a week. So highly doubt he asked to play or even if the team would consider it.

Plus even if he was allowed would he be coming back with the right intentions? Especially if say Hamilton is winning by a large margain in the 3rd period? I don't think so, actually I look at this game to be quite dirty with those two out of line up anyway.

Old
05-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
Actually, grade 3 concussions are the most severe...
You are right!

Taken from http://www.fpnotebook.com/SPO39.htm

Grading
Grade 1 Concussion
Confusion
Concussion symptoms resolve within 15 minutes
No Loss of Consciousness
Grade 2 Concussion
Confusion
Concussion symptoms persist beyond 15 minutes
No Loss of Consciousness
Grade 3 Concussion
Confusion
Concussion symptoms persist beyond 15 minutes
Any Loss of Consciousness

Old
05-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Question. If Alex goes for the remainder of the playoffs, and say an additional 15 games for next regular season if the team is eliminated in the first 2 rounds, would it be possible for Alex to play on the nhl club while under suspension?

Old
05-02-2004, 02:21 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Question. If Alex goes for the remainder of the playoffs, and say an additional 15 games for next regular season if the team is eliminated in the first 2 rounds, would it be possible for Alex to play on the nhl club while under suspension?
Bob McKenzie has said that any suspension made by the AHL would not effect his status of playing in the NHL, unless the NHL honours the AHL's suspension. Both governing bodies do not effect each other in matters of suspension.

So he could play in Montreal, but with the class of this organization I think they would honour the suspension themselves.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Bob McKenzie has said that any suspension made by the AHL would not effect his status of playing in the NHL, unless the NHL honours the AHL's suspension. Both governing bodies do not effect each other in matters of suspension.

So he could play in Montreal, but with the class of this organization I think they would honour the suspension themselves.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the NHL could suspend Perezhogin from the NHL for something he did in the AHL.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Good thing that he is already out of the hospital. Hope that this won't affect him mid to long term.

As for Perezhogin, when I saw the shot (and the news pass it SO OFTEN... do they want this violence to continue ? Seems so...), I was utterly shocked... But at the same time, as Bob McKenzie said, it is explainable (although not excusable) as Stafford clearly swung his stick at the head of Perez...

Perez should get suspended for the remainder of the playoffs, plus a couple of game next season, like 15-20... Even though I don't really want him suspended, he has to 'pay' for what he did. He has to learn control, and that's probably what he will do the next few weeks, or months... hopefully

Old
05-02-2004, 03:35 PM
rocketlives

A similar incident in the NHL about 50 years ago

It happened on November 12 1953 and it involved Bernard "Boum Boum" Geoffrion of the Montreal Canadiens and Ron Murphy of the New York Rangers.

excerpt from The Life and Times of Bernard Geoffrion by Stan Fishler

"There was no Christmas spirit around Madison Square Garden on that night. We had been feuding on and off with the Rangers ever since I started playing for the Canadiens and tempers seemed to be building as this season progressed. Not surprisingly this was a mean game and growing meaner in the second period as the Rangers took a 2-0 lead. There was a scramble along the right boards that seemed like an ordinary high-sticking duel. Ranger defenseman Bob Crystal and Paul Masnick, who was playing on my line that night, began the scuffle. Another New York defenseman big Leo Reise moved in to help and then I came to help Paul.

The fuss would have ended right then and there except that Ron Murphy, a 21-year-old Ranger right winger, butted in and began massaging my head with his stick. I dropped my stick figuring he wanted to fight with his fists. Instead he speared me. My blood was boiling. I roared at him, “If you want to fight drop your stick!” Instead he whacked me on the head and I could feel the blood running down my face. That’s when I flipped out. I picked up my stick and fenced for a minute. Murphy backtracked to center ice and now I was even madder. I lost it. I drew my stick back like a baseball bat and swung at his head. He ducked just in time and I missed but Murphy was frozen with fear. When I swung the second time just as hard as the first, I connected. My stick caught him flush on the jaw and he went down like he had been shot. A pool of blood surrounded his head and the entire rink went silent. I thought I had killed the guy!

Once I saw Murphy on the ice I began to feel a little guilty. After all I could have killed him. But I was bleeding as well - I had a four-inch gash on the side of my head - but I stood my ground in case any of the Rangers went after me. Meantime the Rangers trainer Frank Paice and the club doctor Vincent Nardiello came out to take care of Murphy. They eventually got him back to consciousness and carried him off to the hospital.

The referee Red Storey gave us both match penalties and as I moved toward our dressing room a fan tossed a bottle at me. Now it was getting hairy. At the old Madison Square Garden the visiting benches were surrounded by fans with no protection. When I started off the ice a spectator took a punch at me and others charged our bench. My teammates raised their sticks like fixed bayonets and kept them at bay until I could get to the passageway that led to our dressing room. Meanwhile the public address announcer kept blaring that Murphy was in critical condition. He was. He had a fractured jaw and a concussion. I had two headaches: one from the bop I had taken on my head and the other from thinking about what Clarence Campbell would do to me now.

Campbell took his time conducting the investigation. He talked to Red Storey and the linesmen. He talked to eyewitnesses and he watched movies of the game. His decision was that I was suspended for eight games involving the Canadiens and Rangers. Murphy was given a five-game suspension beginning from the date of the incident, December 20. My suspension was to officially begin with the December 27 game between our clubs in Montreal. Campbell claimed that he was worried that too many players were using their sticks as “lethal weapons” and wanted to put an end to the stick swinging."

Last edited by rocketlives: 05-02-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old
05-02-2004, 03:43 PM
habsfansam

our sympathies to stafford... i wish him a speedy recovery, and no lasting damage from the incident.

at the same time, you've got to wonder how the leagues are going to get this kind of **** under control? something in the way the game is called is failing if two guys can get SO angry that they attempt to play tee-ball with the other guys head. Is there a way that calls can be made differently so that this type of incident doesn't occur?

personally, if both players swing sticks, both should be suspended at least as long as injuries keep the other player out of the game, then league mandated suspensions should take hold. I'd bet Perezhogin gets some serious legal trouble from this, and that he is out for 15-25games in the AHL/NHL next year.

that being said, do you penalize one guy less because he swung and missed??

Closed Thread