HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Caps @ Preds - 3.18.08(dueling russians edition)

Old
03-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510

Poor Dan Ellis! The team really stepped it up after the goalie change. Nashville impressed the hell out of me for the last two periods...if not for Huet, they could have won it.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
RollingPredFan

vCash: 500
Bah! The fat lady is warming up.

Zanon, hoo boy... Well when he blocks shots you love him when he plays like he did last night you want to strangle him lol

Ellis got left to dry but his last mistake was the killer, Trotz had to pull him. He was trying to make something happen...

After that, oh well we carried the play but it was too little too late. Bonk can't score to save his life. We just look like a team full of grinders... and the RAD line, its just not carrying us anymore.

We need Legwand back, but it may be too late when he does come back.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:46 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I was at this one. I watch the Caps a lot and knew if we got in a hole it would be tough.

OV is probably my favorite player right now. Awesome to watch him in person, the guy just dominates. I hated to lose but a first period like the Preds had this time of year against a contender virtually guarantees an outcome like that. Now we need someone in front to self-destruct, no 3 point games, AND to practically run the table. Ouch.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
The Viking Fury

How is Zidlicky doing? I couldn't tell if he was hurt or not after crashinginto the net.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:06 AM
lugnut76

I am not too concerned about an injury to Zidlicky. . .even if he plays injured I'm not sure he could play any worse than he did in the first period last night. Of all the Predators last night, I though he was hands down the worst. . .with Zanon right behind.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I am not too concerned about an injury to Zidlicky. . .even if he plays injured I'm not sure he could play any worse than he did in the first period last night. Of all the Predators last night, I though he was hands down the worst. . .with Zanon right behind.
How exactly was Zidlicky the worst Predator last night?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
lugnut76

Mishandling the puck at the blueline (especially on the power play). There was a loose puck in the nuetral zone (I think this was on the power play too) that he sat back on and didn't go after. I watched the game on TV and not live, so it may have been an optical illusion but it appeared he was closer to the puck than the Capital penalty killer and didn't even try to play the puck. He turned the puck over, maybe not more than the other defensemen, but turned it over none the less.

After all of that maybe here is my biggest issue. . .an absolutely dreadfull power play in the first period. I know that he is not the only one to blame for the power play struggles, but isn't that why we are paying him decent money? Isn't that supposed to be his greatest strength? If he is not a difference maker on the power play then what is his value outside of being an average defensive player at best. And why is it that we have to pair him with certain people for him to look good (Timmonen and Ville)? As our highest paid defenseman he should be good regardless of who he is paired with and should make this team better and I don't see it consistently enough.

Maybe my critique of his play last night is a culmination of frustation with his play recently.

Old
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Mishandling the puck at the blueline (especially on the power play). There was a loose puck in the nuetral zone (I think this was on the power play too) that he sat back on and didn't go after. I watched the game on TV and not live, so it may have been an optical illusion but it appeared he was closer to the puck than the Capital penalty killer and didn't even try to play the puck. He turned the puck over, maybe not more than the other defensemen, but turned it over none the less.
Often times when Zidlicky fails to keep the puck in the zone, its the result of a terrible pass to him or from a terrible play around the net which results in the other team clearing the puck after Zidlicky moved inside (not his fault). He isn't the only one with which this happens, and particularly last night, this happened with all defensemen.

Teams stand us up at the blue line, forcing us to dump the puck in. We cannot use this to set the puck up, often times resulting in the other team having a great opportunity to clear the puck.

Quote:
After all of that maybe here is my biggest issue. . .an absolutely dreadfull power play in the first period. I know that he is not the only one to blame for the power play struggles, but isn't that why we are paying him decent money? Isn't that supposed to be his greatest strength? If he is not a difference maker on the power play then what is his value outside of being an average defensive player at best. And why is it that we have to pair him with certain people for him to look good (Timmonen and Ville)? As our highest paid defenseman he should be good regardless of who he is paired with and should make this team better and I don't see it consistently enough.
Zidlicky would have a ton more points if people could finish his passes. He has done a great job on the PP in his role. He is usually counted on to pass first and not shoot, yet people find a way to blame it on him.

Zidlicky was far from our worst defensemen on the ice last night imo.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Imo Zidlicky's problem with keeping the puck in at the blueline is because he refuses to use anything but his stick to keep it in. Most other d-men use feet, legs, arms, or hands to keep the puck in. Z is always trying to make a big play rather than worrying first about keeping it in then about the play.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Teams stand us up at the blue line, forcing us to dump the puck in. We cannot use this to set the puck up, often times resulting in the other team having a great opportunity to clear the puck.

On the first power play of the game the Preds couldn't even put themselves in a position to dump the puck. A good bit of the power play was spent in the defensive zone because our defense couldn't make the simple D to D pass without much pressure. We can say its not fair to blame Zidlicky but he is our highest paid D and supposed to be the best we have on the PP. Make the simple play. He has tried to thread passes through the penalty kill box that consistently get picked off. When it works its a play for the highlight reel but how often does it work. In the last Red Wing game he made a blind backhand pass back to the blueline and no Predator even close. If the PK had been playing more aggressively it would be an easy short handed breakaway. I am not a big Mickey Redmond fan but as the play happened he couldn't help but to let out a what the. . .is he doing.

Just my thoughts. . .I don't hate the guy. . .just wish he played up to his billing

Old
03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
On the first power play of the game the Preds couldn't even put themselves in a position to dump the puck. A good bit of the power play was spent in the defensive zone because our defense couldn't make the simple D to D pass without much pressure. We can say its not fair to blame Zidlicky but he is our highest paid D and supposed to be the best we have on the PP. Make the simple play. He has tried to thread passes through the penalty kill box that consistently get picked off. When it works its a play for the highlight reel but how often does it work. In the last Red Wing game he made a blind backhand pass back to the blueline and no Predator even close. If the PK had been playing more aggressively it would be an easy short handed breakaway. I am not a big Mickey Redmond fan but as the play happened he couldn't help but to let out a what the. . .is he doing.

Just my thoughts. . .I don't hate the guy. . .just wish he played up to his billing
You're describing Paul Kariya word for word, from last year...but people just loved him. Zids probably gets more undue flak than anyone. He's like the new Legwand.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
I'd say about 33% ... it's gonna be tough, as long as every NW division game from here on out doesn't go to OT, there IS still a possibility ... slim one though
I can believe that. Mathematically, if all the teams were equal we would have about a 20.9% chance, but given that we have 6 games left against the "B" teams, I think we can do better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
ugh. apparently sellout = loss. we just cannot come out and lay an egg in the first period and then expect to just turn it on later and get points in OT.
What did you expect? Remember that our last game was a win over Detroit.... Part of me wants us to lose badly tomorrow so we have a chance to avoid the post-Red Wing-hangover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Often times when Zidlicky fails to keep the puck in the zone, its the result of a terrible pass to him or from a terrible play around the net which results in the other team clearing the puck after Zidlicky moved inside (not his fault). He isn't the only one with which this happens, and particularly last night, this happened with all defensemen.

Zidlicky would have a ton more points if people could finish his passes. He has done a great job on the PP in his role. He is usually counted on to pass first and not shoot, yet people find a way to blame it on him.

Zidlicky was far from our worst defensemen on the ice last night imo.
Interesting story here. I was sitting in the bench seats for a game against Columbus in December and, no joke, one of the Columbus assistant coaches was instructing his players to push everything up Zidlicky's side and wait for him to turn the puck over. I will admit that he gets a bad rap most of the time. However, sometimes he just makes me want to kill him (see the breakaway-giveaway he had on the power play against Calgary).

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Minnesota gets at least a point tonight, that sure wasn't expected

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote