HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the Preds defenseman

Old
03-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Padan

vCash: 500
How is Zidlicky's defensive game? He's a fairly high-scoring defenseman, but I rarely hear anything about him.

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padan View Post
How is Zidlicky's defensive game? He's a fairly high-scoring defenseman, but I rarely hear anything about him.
He's not the best in the defensive zone, but he isn't as bad as some Predators fans complain about. He gets a ton of undue criticism from alot of fans.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Upchuck19

If the Preds were making a great trade and the other GM said OK throw in two of the three, what two of the three would you trade?

Weber, Hamhuis or Suter?

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
If the Preds were making a great trade and the other GM said OK throw in two of the three, what two of the three would you trade?

Weber, Hamhuis or Suter?
That would have to be some heck of a trade, but I would say Suter first, and then its a tough choice between Hamhuis and Weber, with Hamhuis probably being next to go.

Old
03-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think Suter is slowly (and I will readily admit that is a slow process) becoming our best all around defenseman. He is third on the team in minutes, a scant 30 seconds behind Zidlicky (who is second due to 5 minutes of PP time a game), and Hamhuis who plays 2 minutes more at ES. He is, without a doubt, the best defenseman at carrying the puck, and as he is slowly (and yes it is mind-numbingly slow at times) cutting out the bone-headed plays, he is seeing more and more ice-time. If you remember, last year he was seeing 27-28 minutes a night down the stretch. This year, his TOI is rising as well. Almost 25 minutes last night against Detroit....

I would hate to move Suter, but I cannot fathom moving Weber. Hamhuis's contract is too sweet to deal as well. The best case scenario would be to keep all three of them, and see Suter/Weber emerge as our no. 1/2, with Hamhuis slotting in at 3.

03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Whatever happened to Cammalleri for Suter?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah... what did happen to that?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
David Poile would never even consider 1 year of Cammalleri vs. 4-5 years (minimum) of Ryan Suter.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I fully expect now for the Preds to sign Suter to at least a 2 yr deal.
I think where a move is more likely is with Sulzer or Koistenen. They will need to make room for Franson at some point but he still seems to be a work in progress, albeit one with great potential.
This team needs to solidify its defense and goaltending. Goaltending has been a weakness this year, something will have to change for next year. I am no longer confident Mason is servicable, but this is OT for here.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 11:42 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds_wizard View Post
I fully expect now for the Preds to sign Suter to at least a 2 yr deal.
I think where a move is more likely is with Sulzer or Koistenen. They will need to make room for Franson at some point but he still seems to be a work in progress, albeit one with great potential.
This team needs to solidify its defense and goaltending. Goaltending has been a weakness this year, something will have to change for next year. I am no longer confident Mason is servicable, but this is OT for here.

Is anyone signing short term deals anymore? What Suter does will determine Kleins fate. If Suter will sign for reasonable cash then Klein is trade bait. If Suter trys to play hardball, you gotta think poile will almost hope for an offer sheet that would net him a couple of first rounders or else package him for a scoring forward if one can be had.

VK is probably staying because the power play is noticeably better with him.

Franson probably wont have to have a spot made for him until 09-10 at the earliest.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padan View Post
IMO, Zidlicky's biggest problem is not his defense. Granted he's not great in the defensive zone, but he's not as bad as people make him out to be. The reason he gets railed on is he has a strong tendency to make very poor decisions with the puck, resulting in turnovers and scoring opportunities for the other team (see the first power play of Friday's game). He frequently makes passes to players who are heavily covered or not expecting the puck, and it seems like he is never in position to keep the puck in at the blue line (it drives me crazy seeing him and Suter out on the same power play unit). That said, he usually makes pretty good breakout passes and can skate the puck up ice into the offensive zone by himself.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Dionysus

What do preds fans think of Suter's style of play, I have heard him described as a solid all around d-man, kind of physical, but not that big. How is his hockey sense, offensive and defensive awareness, and will he be able to develop into a top pairing d-man who can log big minutes and run a power play? Thanks.

Dionysus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
dave_no

I think Greg Zanon is better than Ryan Suter

Good joke, no?

But I think Zanon is very good defensive dman. He's nice number. 71gms 146 hits 164 bks. Better number than Gill, Witt, Phillips etc. He's in top30 in Hits, top10 in blocked shots. I like him defensive play.

dave_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_no View Post
I think Greg Zanon is better than Ryan Suter

Good joke, no?

But I think Zanon is very good defensive dman. He's nice number. 71gms 146 hits 164 bks. Better number than Gill, Witt, Phillips etc. He's in top30 in Hits, top10 in blocked shots. I like him defensive play.
He has nice numbers, but he's frequently pulled out of position trying to block shots. He also has a hard time getting the puck out of the zone, although that is a characteristic of our entire team really.

Old
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Dionysus

What would it take to make a Ryan Suter to Ottawa trade work?

Old
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaterhassasin View Post
Nothing. Seriously, if the Preds move Suter they would be looking for a forward about the same age with about the same potential. The Sens just don't have anyone who matches that description.

Old
03-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Vermette? Can he play wing?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
It would take more than that. As mentioned above, the ideal situation is going to be a team with young, high end forwards...but a lack of young high end defense that can make an even swap.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Dionysus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
He sometimes plays wing, but is much more effective as a centre. Vermette+ Ilja Zubov, or maybe Nick Foligno+ 1st round pick, not positive on the value the preds would want in return, any ideas?

Old
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
I think Heatley would work. Just a joke though I know you guys would never give up that beast.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Dionysus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
I think Heatley would work. Just a joke though I know you guys would never give up that beast.
Ya Heatley is certainly not going anywhere. Awhile back on the sens board someone proposed a Spezza for Weber+ deal, not a fan of it though, really can't see either player going anywhere.

I figured Suter would have a much better chance of being moved, and for a more reasonable price.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Ya Heatley is certainly not going anywhere. Awhile back on the sens board someone proposed a Spezza for Weber+ deal, not a fan of it though, really can't see either player going anywhere.

I figured Suter would have a much better chance of being moved, and for a more reasonable price.
The problem is that the Preds have Arnott and Legwand locked up long term. While I am sure that they would love to get Spezza, their real needs are top six wingers and blue-chip forward prospects. Basically, if Poile was going to give up Weber+, I think he would be looking to make a move for a scoring winger over a centerman.

Old
03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
In The Flesh

Hows Kleins play? I see he is at the bottom of most lists. Haven't followed him much since he joined the Preds full time.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
KingsFan323

What do you guys think if the Kings traded Oscar Moller, Lauri Tukonen + 2nd rounder for Ryan Suter. You guys don't have many offensive prospects and might let go Suter and we need a guy like Suter.

KingsFan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan323 View Post
What do you guys think if the Kings traded Oscar Moller, Lauri Tukonen + 2nd rounder for Ryan Suter. You guys don't have many offensive prospects and might let go Suter and we need a guy like Suter.
I think if we're trading Suter it has to be for a offensive player of equal value not a bunch of prospects and a pick....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote