HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings @ Preds 7 PM CST 3-20-08

Old
03-21-2008, 12:19 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
We hope we're getting a real goalie, these two suck.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Priorities ...
1) Coach ... 4-12 in 3 playoff appearances ... and look at what Carolina is doing with even less than us
2) Goalie ... these two are not cutting it at all
3) Another Offensive Dman ... because Zidlicky simply won't be here when his contract runs out ... Weber better hope that the injury was a fluke
4) Another Top 6 winger & revamp the 3rd line drastically (must get bigger with speed)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Is his specialty PP or PK? ... because our PP freaking sucks ball sack
He ran the Sabres PP that was 1st or 2nd in the league a few years back.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 04:55 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I just don't know what to say. How do we keep making the same mistakes over and over and over all year long?

It's like they don't know what to do out there. Or they are trying so hard not to make a mistake and think too much out there and end up making bigger mistakes.

We practically had the first period handed to us with 2 1/2 PPs (that Bonk goalie Int was crap, he never touched Hasek) right away and we barely even were in the zone more than 10 seconds, never mind even getting near to getting a shot or even establishing some momentum. We had those PP's and we were being outshot 8-2! We got the game tied after killing the 5on3 and we had all the momentum. Then a RW player hits Erat at the blueline and they completely took over. That hit woke them up and they took back control of the game and scored about a minute later on another bad goal.

It pissed me off to see Dumont go out of his way to avoid being hit. I don't know whether it was the second or third period (I think 2nd) but it was down in the corner on the Detroit bench side. Instead of taking the hit to make a play, he jumps to avoid the hit and leaves the puck for the RW to just come in and take it away.

I liked seeing Arnott get mad and really go after that guy. He bowled over everyone and was trying to get passed the officials to get to whoever that was. I would have liked to see Mason and Hasek go. I don't think they really wanted to go but it would have been fun to see.

Finally Radulov gets a goal. See what happens when you just throw the puck at the net instead of always looking for a pass.

Great PPG by Erat. Sometimes I wonder how he even has 23 goals this year. He gets on my nerves by skating around the zone only to get the puck knocked away from him.

Our goalies are just bad. I don't understand what happened to Mason between last year and this year. Actually, after the first 2 games of the season I don't know where it went. He just lost it somewhere between Nashville and St. Louis. I just feel bad for Mason. He is such a nice guy and has done so much for the team and was the first to step up and buy tickets to keep the team here. And Ellis is crapping out now, too. I know it doesn't help when none of the dmen will clear bodies out but damn, those soft goals are just bad mistakes that end up costing us in the end. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that we don't make the PO's. The way the goalies are playing it will be that one bad/soft goal that ends up getting us swept in the first round.

Oh let's see it's March so you know what that means. March Madness! Or in our case, March Meltdown. EVERY ****ING YEAR WE DESTRUCT IN MARCH. It is by far, the worst that we play in an entire season. 13 gms below .500. Only April has the other losing record at 16-21-0-2.
98-99: 5-8-1
99-00: 6-7-1-2
00-01: 7-5-1-1
01-02: 2-10-3-0
02-03: 2-8-4-2
03-04: 4-5-4-2
05-06: 8-5-0-2
06-07: 6-5-0-3
Total: 40-53-14-12
07-08: 4-6-0-0

It is unbelievable what is happening in the standings. Really we should be about 8-10 points out of 8th place. But every night it seems we are getting help from someone and we are staying right there. If we had beat LA and gained a few points somewhere else we would be right in 8th place or a point out. Hell, if we had won any 3 or just got a couple of OTL's in those combined 11 games during those big losing streaks (0-6, 0-5) we could be in 6th place right now. Again tonight, Colorado and Edmonton lost in regulation to keep us at 4 points out and no one catching us. Colorado has lost 3 in a row leaving the door open just begging us to come in and take the spot. But what do we do? Lose 4 of 5 and gain no ground. That spot was/is there for the taking. We had/have the breaks but we just refuse to cash in on them.

And until they prove me wrong, sellouts = loss. Chicago, Dallas, LA, Washington, Detroit. This is rediculous. It's now been since 2002 that we lost 6 at home. We were one of the best at home this year trailing only Detroit and/or Dallas but now we can't get anything going. We haven't won at home since Feb. 19. FEBRUARY 19!! And we haven't won on Thursday since JANUARY 31!

It's easy to blame the coaches or goalies but this is a collective losing effort. The dmen make the same mistakes leaving the wrong guy or taking a bad angle. The forwards forget how to shoot and think the net is behind them or off to the side. The PP doesn't work well, the PK is decent but lately slipping. The goalies just suck right now. The coaches and leaders aren't getting them fired up for the games (though if they really need someone else to pump them up at this point then I question how much they really want it). The coaches can say everything, bag skate them, coddle them, call them out in the paper, rip down doors, and the players can have their players-only meetings, but the players still have to perform on the ice and they aren't doing it well enough. We just can't get the big save when we really need it and we just can't score that one goal when we really need it.

Like I said, it's ridiculous that we are still only 4 points out but after tonight I really feel like this is it. I would still love for them to make it, but I just don't see it anymore.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Those march numbers are ugly. Really only one good March and that was 05-06. Remember that in 02-03 we were fighting for the playoffs before we tanked. Also remember that we were in first place last year until we faltered down the stretch.

03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
RollingPredFan

What does all those numbers in March have in common? The coach.

Thing is I read in the paper Poile is getting ready to re-sign the coaching staff. I just don't know. In a lot of ways we have over achieved this year. But still we had a decent team. Trotz has never won a meaningful game or series in his whole tenure here. The PP is awful.

I think it was a panic move for him to remove Ellis so quickly IMO. Yes the first goal was awful. The second there was nothing he could do. And Mason came in and was worse. This whole team is fragile, from the coaching staff on, our confidence is at an all time low.

A frustrating, frustrating game. At least Rad got off the snide.

Well for those wanting us to tank, well we are now hahaha

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
tulsytrid1

Well that was a pretty depressing game to watch; the same mistakes all year. The same tired power play. Opposing coaches know to just put a little bit of pressure on us and we will cough it up. Poor defensive coverage. Poor goaltending. Poor coaching. Poor execution. WORSE than POOR PP. I am tired of the cliches that the coaches are using. "We didn't play a full 60 minutes" "We are taking bad pentalties" "We are beating ourselves" "We came out flat"...these are the same quotes I have heard for 10 years now. The only thing that this team looks good at is the PK...just like our first year when we had a bunch of grinders on this team. We are a one line pony. If our first line doesn't score, we are in trouble.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 7932
At least Mason's softie goals didnt go in through the 5 hole, that has to be some kind of improvement, right?

I like the guy, but man has he totally let us down this year.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Ellis is a great backup. He might not be a clutch number 1 though. Maybe thats the problem, you have two great backups

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Jarnberg

Its our usual end of the year breakdown; what do you expect, us to do better with a roster with even less skilled players?

As it gets closer to the playoffs, teams clamp down and play more defensive. We do not have the skill to keep the puck in the offensive zone for anything other then simple plays along the boards. The top line does a good job in the offensive zone (I would hope so) but still rely on breakouts too much. The Erat line has done better, but still not enough. After that, we're screwed.

Mason only looked good last year because he padded his stats against non-playoff teams. Poile took a big gamble in trading Vokoun. He bet that Mason could mimic last year and that we could use the Vokoun money to sign Kariya and more.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
lstcyr

If we end up out of the playoffs soon, anyone up for bringing Pekka Rinne up for a couple of games? Or are we playing so out of synch that it might just screw him up also?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
If we end up out of the playoffs soon, anyone up for bringing Pekka Rinne up for a couple of games? Or are we playing so out of synch that it might just screw him up also?
I think it would be nice to give him a little more experience, but I doubt it will happen. He should probably stay in Milwaukee to finish out their year as he is having a great year for them.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Jarnberg

Ellis's quote from the Tennessean:

Quote:
"You want to be able to battle through things,'' Ellis said. "I thought I had a strong first period that helped the team stay in it — some big saves. But whatever the coaching staff wants to do, you do it.''
Source: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...803210427/1028

Old
03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I dont' think Ellis has played poorly. He's not letting in soft goals, he's getting beat by screened(usually by his own guys) shots from the point. He made one mistake in the Washington game, but the other goals being scored against him have been sheer defensive breakdowns. Trotz has been quick-hook trying to "spark the team" by pulling the goalie, but i think he's making it worse. I'd go as far as to say that if he had left Ellis in last night, we would have won the game.

This is eerily similar to 02-03, where we made a late push for the playoffs, Legwand went down, and we collapsed at the end of the season to miss.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
PredsMan

yeah, everytime legwand goes down, seems like we go on a losing streak.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The one thing I have always disliked with the Trotzonian era of Predators coaching are the fundamentals.

1) We are poor shot blockers. Aside from Zanon, we really do not block shots on this team. Those that do block shots, block in a way that screens the goalies (kind of like....I'm going to stand here and hope it hits me.) Additionally, Zanon is fundamentally poor in his shot-blocking technique. At even strength, his shot blocking doesn't look as bad because there are 4 guys covering for him. On the PK, he is exposed, and to be honest, he is a liability on the penalty kill more than a helper.
- Theory: Lack of blocking shots makes it much easier for teams to get point shots through....

2) We are entirely too passive on defensive zone coverage. We let anyone skate 1 on 2/3/4/5 (no matter what the situation, we do not take them into the boards) into our zone. We don't push players to the boards and cause them to dump it in or cough the puck up. We collapse, collapse, and wave our sticks at incoming forwards. This DOESN'T WORK! If you give Pavel Datsyuk free reign to enter the zone, he is going to get a scoring chance. Look at the Kronwall goal last night, it was a perfect example of the failure of this tactic. Instead of making the defenseman dump the puck in on a likely line change, we let him enter in cleanly and take a perfectly clean wrist shot....no pressure, no shot block, no playing the man.....and our guys provide the screen.
- The only two players who will consistently play the body are Suter and Weber. Suter stands people up the best at the blueline (probably the only defenseman who does), whereas Weber kills people in the corners.

3) We do not support our goaltenders. You look at a team like SJ, where they collapse around the net. 15-20 shots will get through a night. For the past 3 years they have had a defense that is probably in the 20-30 spot in terms of ranking (pre-Campbell acquisition), yet they play as a top 10 unit. The reason for this is because of how they protect their goalie. Most shots that get through are low percentage, and if Nabokov doesn't suck the rebound up, it is cleared immediately. The front of the net is never the chaos that is the front of the Predators net. We let in so many low percentage shots because we have too much chaos going on in our zone. Too many screens are allowed, and with the ease of entry into our zone, teams are able to set up offensively way to quickly.

There are several other things that irk me, but these three things baffle me. They can only be considered coaching philosophies, and they never change.....I'm not even going to start on the PP and offensive strategy.....Resigning Trotz is only going to continue the same philosophies, and frankly, I think all 3 are fatal flaws when it comes to playoff hockey.

On a sidenote: I should say that Trotz does get results in terms of the Final standings. For all the criticisms I level against him, it is undeniable that his teams often outproduce expectations. With that being said, it can also be noted that our teams are consistently underrated leading to lower than normal expectations.

Last edited by Enoch: 03-21-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
I just don't know what to say. How do we keep making the same mistakes over and over and over all year long?

It's like they don't know what to do out there. Or they are trying so hard not to make a mistake and think too much out there and end up making bigger mistakes.

We practically had the first period handed to us with 2 1/2 PPs (that Bonk goalie Int was crap, he never touched Hasek) right away and we barely even were in the zone more than 10 seconds, never mind even getting near to getting a shot or even establishing some momentum. We had those PP's and we were being outshot 8-2! We got the game tied after killing the 5on3 and we had all the momentum. Then a RW player hits Erat at the blueline and they completely took over. That hit woke them up and they took back control of the game and scored about a minute later on another bad goal.

It pissed me off to see Dumont go out of his way to avoid being hit. I don't know whether it was the second or third period (I think 2nd) but it was down in the corner on the Detroit bench side. Instead of taking the hit to make a play, he jumps to avoid the hit and leaves the puck for the RW to just come in and take it away.

I liked seeing Arnott get mad and really go after that guy. He bowled over everyone and was trying to get passed the officials to get to whoever that was. I would have liked to see Mason and Hasek go. I don't think they really wanted to go but it would have been fun to see.

Finally Radulov gets a goal. See what happens when you just throw the puck at the net instead of always looking for a pass.

Great PPG by Erat. Sometimes I wonder how he even has 23 goals this year. He gets on my nerves by skating around the zone only to get the puck knocked away from him.

Our goalies are just bad. I don't understand what happened to Mason between last year and this year. Actually, after the first 2 games of the season I don't know where it went. He just lost it somewhere between Nashville and St. Louis. I just feel bad for Mason. He is such a nice guy and has done so much for the team and was the first to step up and buy tickets to keep the team here. And Ellis is crapping out now, too. I know it doesn't help when none of the dmen will clear bodies out but damn, those soft goals are just bad mistakes that end up costing us in the end. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that we don't make the PO's. The way the goalies are playing it will be that one bad/soft goal that ends up getting us swept in the first round.

Oh let's see it's March so you know what that means. March Madness! Or in our case, March Meltdown. EVERY ****ING YEAR WE DESTRUCT IN MARCH. It is by far, the worst that we play in an entire season. 13 gms below .500. Only April has the other losing record at 16-21-0-2.
98-99: 5-8-1
99-00: 6-7-1-2
00-01: 7-5-1-1
01-02: 2-10-3-0
02-03: 2-8-4-2
03-04: 4-5-4-2
05-06: 8-5-0-2
06-07: 6-5-0-3
Total: 40-53-14-12
07-08: 4-6-0-0

It is unbelievable what is happening in the standings. Really we should be about 8-10 points out of 8th place. But every night it seems we are getting help from someone and we are staying right there. If we had beat LA and gained a few points somewhere else we would be right in 8th place or a point out. Hell, if we had won any 3 or just got a couple of OTL's in those combined 11 games during those big losing streaks (0-6, 0-5) we could be in 6th place right now. Again tonight, Colorado and Edmonton lost in regulation to keep us at 4 points out and no one catching us. Colorado has lost 3 in a row leaving the door open just begging us to come in and take the spot. But what do we do? Lose 4 of 5 and gain no ground. That spot was/is there for the taking. We had/have the breaks but we just refuse to cash in on them.

And until they prove me wrong, sellouts = loss. Chicago, Dallas, LA, Washington, Detroit. This is rediculous. It's now been since 2002 that we lost 6 at home. We were one of the best at home this year trailing only Detroit and/or Dallas but now we can't get anything going. We haven't won at home since Feb. 19. FEBRUARY 19!! And we haven't won on Thursday since JANUARY 31!

It's easy to blame the coaches or goalies but this is a collective losing effort. The dmen make the same mistakes leaving the wrong guy or taking a bad angle. The forwards forget how to shoot and think the net is behind them or off to the side. The PP doesn't work well, the PK is decent but lately slipping. The goalies just suck right now. The coaches and leaders aren't getting them fired up for the games (though if they really need someone else to pump them up at this point then I question how much they really want it). The coaches can say everything, bag skate them, coddle them, call them out in the paper, rip down doors, and the players can have their players-only meetings, but the players still have to perform on the ice and they aren't doing it well enough. We just can't get the big save when we really need it and we just can't score that one goal when we really need it.

Like I said, it's ridiculous that we are still only 4 points out but after tonight I really feel like this is it. I would still love for them to make it, but I just don't see it anymore.
Why does Trotz/Poile hate Nashville?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Good breakdown of some critical weaknesses, Enoch.
I am quite dismayed that Poile intends to extend the coaches. I think it is a mistake to say that right now. We have had some undeniable coaching issues here down the stretch.
I almost think until we both miss the playoffs AND underachieve regular season Trotz and company are not in jeopardy. Nothing I have seen this season changes my mind that Trotz and staff can elevate this team beyond the first round, barring incredible luck and an advantageous first round matchup. Am I crazy to think this way? How do the rest of you feel?

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
Good breakdown of some critical weaknesses, Enoch.
I am quite dismayed that Poile intends to extend the coaches. I think it is a mistake to say that right now. We have had some undeniable coaching issues here down the stretch.
I almost think until we both miss the playoffs AND underachieve regular season Trotz and company are not in jeopardy. Nothing I have seen this season changes my mind that Trotz and staff can elevate this team beyond the first round, barring incredible luck and an advantageous first round matchup. Am I crazy to think this way? How do the rest of you feel?
I think it would be a mistake to bring back anyone from the current coaching staff to be quite honest.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 7932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think it would be a mistake to bring back anyone from the current coaching staff to be quite honest.
especially special teams coaches.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:56 PM
fogducker

how's lisin doing?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
how's lisin doing?
Shouldn't you ask Phoenix fans that...?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think it would be nice to give him a little more experience, but I doubt it will happen. He should probably stay in Milwaukee to finish out their year as he is having a great year for them.
Nevermind...

Old
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
especially special teams coaches.
Our PP looks like a monkey trying to .... a football. It seems as if we are out there playing pond hockey. It would be nice for a change at the helm, but I really don't think it will happen.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote