HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft opinion

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 08:09 PM
BluesFan223

vCash: 500
Draft opinion

what is everyones opinion of the draft? what type of player are we lookin for at te 17 pick i believe we need a sniper discuss amongst yourselves

Old
04-30-2004, 09:55 AM
ProfessorK

Send a message via Yahoo to ProfessorK
I say pick the best winger that's available. This team needs to develop more wingers.

Just my opinion...

The Professor

Old
04-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Frenzy1

Hey guys,

Check out the draft polls for more discussions about prospects and going after a top 4 d vs. a skilled forward (LW).

Old
04-30-2004, 04:33 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorK
I say pick the best winger that's available. This team needs to develop more wingers.

Just my opinion...

The Professor

what is the difference between a winger and a centre.. couldnt a centre just play on the wing?

Old
04-30-2004, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev
what is the difference between a winger and a centre.. couldnt a centre just play on the wing?
Ask Johhny Pohl...

Old
04-30-2004, 05:49 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 50
heck, ask Demitra.

He had trouble adjusting earlier this season to the wing, and the more physical play required there.

Of course, that could change in Kitchen's team.

as for the topic at hand. this team has trouble developing wingers...but it takes awhile to develop D-men...and this team needs help in the next 2-3 seasons, not the next 4-6.

Old
04-30-2004, 06:23 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
heck, ask Demitra.

He had trouble adjusting earlier this season to the wing, and the more physical play required there.

Of course, that could change in Kitchen's team.

as for the topic at hand. this team has trouble developing wingers...but it takes awhile to develop D-men...and this team needs help in the next 2-3 seasons, not the next 4-6.
Demitra's problems earlier in the year were more atributeable to Mellanby and Tkachuk's problems with speed(the fact that they didn't have any). Many times Demitra got into the zone well ahead of Tkachuk and Mel and had nobody there to set up(despite having an open pass through the slot). It was amazing how well he responded to the speedier Cajanek and Sillinger being on his line as opposed to Mellanby. Demitra's game actually picked itself up after he got moved to the wing. Then again, Demitra IS a natural winger, not a center.

Old
05-02-2004, 10:39 AM
degroat*

Demitra had trouble switching to the wing? Heh. I must have missed that.

Old
05-02-2004, 11:35 AM
degroat*

As I've said in other threads, the Blues should go defense in the 1st round. But, what else I think they should do is try to swap picks with LA in a trade that would send Weight to LA. They've got a TON of free salary available and LA would be a perfect destination for Weight. The Blues definately get Green or O'Neill at 11 and have a slight chance at getting Thelen.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:10 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
As I've said in other threads, the Blues should go defense in the 1st round. But, what else I think they should do is try to swap picks with LA in a trade that would send Weight to LA. They've got a TON of free salary available and LA would be a perfect destination for Weight. The Blues definately get Green or O'Neill at 11 and have a slight chance at getting Thelen.
I have to admit ignorance to knowing much about Green or O'Neill, but I love the idea.

Old
05-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
As I've said in other threads, the Blues should go defense in the 1st round.
OK. Why?

The Blues have Pronger / Jackman / Backman / Salvador to be the core of the NHL defense for the next ten years.

They have Byrne, Walker and Stuart as NHL-ready (or close to it) defensemen at Worcester.

They have Robin Jonsson, Simon Skoog, Shawn Belle and Zach Fitz Gerald in junior, all within a year or two of going pro with the Ice Cats.

There's plenty of defense ready now, defense that will last the Blues a long time. And there's defense ready to move up from junior.

The Blues can certainly use some more defense, but this is the time to use that high first-round pick and get the best blue-chip scoring forward prospect they can find, IMO.

If you disagree, that's cool, but how about telling us all why.

Thanks,

PrussianBlue

Old
05-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Lowetide

The best part of a Kekalainen draft is the guy he takes at 223 or so, as they usually end up being quality.

The list looks pretty good 1-17 or so, I'd bet that the Blues will take bpa. Someone like Picard won't fall that far, but Voloshenko or Lisin could be very good plus available when the Blues pick.

Old
05-02-2004, 11:22 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
The Blues have Pronger / Jackman / Backman / Salvador to be the core of the NHL defense for the next ten years.
This is all 100% irrelevent. Unless you've got a Roberto Luongo or a Marc Andre Fleury, you never draft based on your NHL roster, especially with the uncertainty of the new CBA.

Quote:
They have Byrne, Walker and Stuart as NHL-ready (or close to it) defensemen at Worcester.
Neither Stuart or Walker is going to be anything more than a 6th and maybe not more than a 7th. Byrne is one of the two defensemen in the organization with top 3 potential.

Quote:
They have Robin Jonsson, Simon Skoog, Shawn Belle and Zach Fitz Gerald in junior, all within a year or two of going pro with the Ice Cats.
Jonsson has really yet to do anything to show that he's going to be an NHL defenseman at this point. As far as Skoog is concerned, not only do we not know if he's interested in coming over we don't know if the Blues even have expressed interest in bringing him over. Belle is the other dman with top 3 potential and we all know that he's a high risk prospect and by no means can we rely on him at this point. FitzGerald may develop into more than I think he will, but in all likelihood, nothing more than a 4th.

Quote:
There's plenty of defense ready now, defense that will last the Blues a long time. And there's defense ready to move up from junior.

The Blues can certainly use some more defense, but this is the time to use that high first-round pick and get the best blue-chip scoring forward prospect they can find, IMO.

If you disagree, that's cool, but how about telling us all why.

Thanks,

PrussianBlue
Uh... I had already done that in another thread. Anway... here's the simple anwer....

Belle & Byrne & I'll even give you FitzGerald.

Shkotov, Zakharov, McClement, Backes, Sejna, Pohl, Hemingway, to start with plus other guys like Troliga, Aaltonen, Bolduc, etc.

So, in a league where defense is at a premium, they have one defenseman with top pairing potential with quite a few guys with scoring line potential.

Old
05-03-2004, 12:00 PM
CuSa_1

me and stitch have gotten into this quite a bit. He makes solid points.

The only thing I disagree with is that when we have a pick as high as 17, we must go for what this organization has been lacking. Either a top end goal scoring winger/forward. Or a franchise goalie.

Some believe that Barulin can be the answere to the latter. If the Blues also believe that, then we must (IMHO) go for a goal scoring winger/forward.

Quote:
I said the exact same thing to stich in another thread. (maybe that's where you got this from)

If I knew more about the prospects I'd be able to comment better. However if there is a Dman available that is 1 of the top ten players in the draft, then I'd be glad to "steal" him.

Here's a question for me to throw out there....

should the Blues, with the 17th pick (it's been a while since we drafted in the first 45 picks) pick for need or best available player?

Old
05-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
me and stitch have gotten into this quite a bit. He makes solid points.

The only thing I disagree with is that when we have a pick as high as 17, we must go for what this organization has been lacking. Either a top end goal scoring winger/forward. Or a franchise goalie.

Some believe that Barulin can be the answere to the latter. If the Blues also believe that, then we must (IMHO) go for a goal scoring winger/forward.

I said the exact same thing to stich in another thread. (maybe that's where you got this from)

If I knew more about the prospects I'd be able to comment better. However if there is a Dman available that is 1 of the top ten players in the draft, then I'd be glad to "steal" him.

Here's a question for me to throw out there....

should the Blues, with the 17th pick (it's been a while since we drafted in the first 45 picks) pick for need or best available player?
BPA is the best method, IMO. However, there may be more then 1 player that is the best available at that spot. What I mean is that 5-6 guys could fall into the 17th pick, based on ability, potential, (streghts and weaknesses). At that point, I say draft by need.

Here is another question: Do you feel it is easier to find a diamond in the rough that is a forward or D? (Translation is it easier to find a late blooming Dman or forward?)

Closed Thread