HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Suggestion on the Rangers board

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Trade Suggestion on the Rangers board

Straight up...Jamie Lundmark for Jani Rita? I would consider that.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Me like.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
Me like.
I second the nomination, 2 players that obvisously are not in the good books with their respective organizations. Perhaps a change of scenery woudl do both good.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:41 PM
windowlicker

At this point it's obvious this guy is not wanted by the organization, so getting a player drafted 4 spots earlier in that same infamous "1999" draft is better than having Rita go back to Europe.

As much as I itch at making this into another "Rita" thread, I think enough has been said, and enough regulars here know how each one feels on the subject. Though I will say I am about 80% confident this will turn into a David Vyborny situation before all is said and done.

Old
05-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
At this point it's obvious this guy is not wanted by the organization, so getting a player drafted 4 spots earlier in that same infamous "1999" draft is better than having Rita go back to Europe.

As much as I itch at making this into another "Rita" thread, I think enough has been said, and enough regulars here know how each one feels on the subject. Though I will say I am about 80% confident this will turn into a David Vyborny situation before all is said and done.
Except it is unlikely to take 7 years to bite them in the ass. Good post.

Old
05-02-2004, 04:26 PM
YKOil

Quote:

Agreed - 100%.

And the Vyborny analogy is apt. Rita WILL get another chance to play in the NHL given the # of teams looking for high-end prospects and we wil have simply paid for 3 years of his development.

As much as there is to be said for earning the chance there is also a great deal to be said for getting it in the first place. But hey - on the bright side - why pay Rita when we have Isbister. yay

YKOil

Old
05-02-2004, 04:43 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i would do it, both players could use a change of scenary.

Old
05-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Marconius

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, what's a David Vyborny situation?

Old
05-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Forgive my ignorance, what's a David Vyborny situation?
No problem. Oilers drafted Vyborny in 1993. He came over and played well as a 19 year old in the AHL, but they didn't keep him. He went back to Sparta Praha until 2000, when Columbus gave him his first NHL shift. He hasn't let them down yet.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=5608

Old
05-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Cerebral

I'm intrigued and I'd probably make that deal. I can still see Lundmark fluorishing away from New York and I can likewise see Rita making an impact with a full time spot on the Rangers. It's a trade that could end up helping both sides.. at worst we'd be out an AHL player that wasn't likely to ever gain a roster spot with us. My one question is: where would Lundmark fit? Can he play left/right wing in addition to center?

Old
05-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
My one question is: where would Lundmark fit? Can he play left/right wing in addition to center?
I'm wondering the same thing. He'd probably have as hard a time making the roster as Rita does.

Old
05-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Mizral

Sounds good for the Oilers.. but why do the Rangers do it? Granted, Lundmark isn't much, but he's more than Rita - he's a proven NHL forward. Same ages, Lundmark could be argued to being even more talented than Rita. So why do the Rags move Jamie Lundmark for an unproven guy who is possibly going back to Finland? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old
05-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Sounds good for the Oilers.. but why do the Rangers do it? Granted, Lundmark isn't much, but he's more than Rita - he's a proven NHL forward. Same ages, Lundmark could be argued to being even more talented than Rita. So why do the Rags move Jamie Lundmark for an unproven guy who is possibly going back to Finland? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
I don't see how Lundmark can be viewed as any more "proven" than Rita. He may have played a few seasons in the NHL but he's been far from succesful and many Rangers fans have dubbed his play terrible. You ask why would "the Rags move Jamie Lundmark for an unproven guy" as though Lundmark has had a couple of decent seasons under his belt. In reality, Lundmark may have played more games than Rita but he is just as unproven.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Sather trade for Rita.. he's made a living off trading for former players/picks of his and another trade involving Jani Rita + Jamie Lundmark seams very realistic. I'm not sure if Lundmark is an upgrade over anyone we have at the moment however.. he definitely still has potential but he'll have trouble cracking our lineup if Rita was unable to.

Old
05-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

9 JOSH GREEN NYR L 50 5 6 11 -3 32 0 0 5 1 0 76 6.6 17.9 12:08 35.4
10 JAMIE LUNDMARK NYR C 56 2 8 10 -8 33 0 0 2 1 0 68 2.9 16.4 12:46 40.4

A little too close for comfort

Old
05-03-2004, 06:17 AM
YKOil

Quote:
It makes sense if the NYR braintrust thinks they have seen everything from Lundmark that they are going to see. Rita would then represent an unknown that may very well be better than Lundmark in their eyes - thus worth the risk.

I do agree that the trade may not be a straight up affair but it prolly wouldn't take much after all is said and done.

YKOil

Old
05-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Oiltalk

Why would any Oiler fan make this trade after having seen Lundmark's play? There really isn't anything exceptional about him, so I'd rather take my chances with Rita getting a shot sometime, and although he is unproven I can't see him doing worse than Lundmark has with the amound of games under his belt. Either use Rita to move up in the draft, or give him a decent shot, as I'm sure he'll do much better than Ludmark.

Old
05-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I don't see how Lundmark can be viewed as any more "proven" than Rita. He may have played a few seasons in the NHL but he's been far from succesful and many Rangers fans have dubbed his play terrible. You ask why would "the Rags move Jamie Lundmark for an unproven guy" as though Lundmark has had a couple of decent seasons under his belt. In reality, Lundmark may have played more games than Rita but he is just as unproven.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Sather trade for Rita.. he's made a living off trading for former players/picks of his and another trade involving Jani Rita + Jamie Lundmark seams very realistic. I'm not sure if Lundmark is an upgrade over anyone we have at the moment however.. he definitely still has potential but he'll have trouble cracking our lineup if Rita was unable to.
Jamie Lundmark - 111 games played
Jani Rita - 15 games played

There is a certain quantitive difference there that would suggest that Lundmark is more of a proven NHL player, wouldn't you agree?

Old
05-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Slats432

Quote:

There is a certain quantitive difference there that would suggest that Lundmark is more of a proven NHL player, wouldn't you agree?
Miz, although I am for this deal, I don't think that this stat proves your point. It is like saying...my guy sucks and has more experience in the NHL sucking than your guy that sucks. Let's swap. By your definition the Rangers are getting the superior player because he has not sucked as much. :lol

In more serious terms, Lundmark has had more time at the NHL level to prove that he is something more than he is. At this point he could be more labelled with limited upside that Rita because Rita hasn't had the chance.

That said, I am still in favour.

Old
05-03-2004, 12:23 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

I think the disagreement stems from Miz's use of proven as in proven to be able to play in the NHL, whereas others are using it in terms of being a proven EFFECTIVE NHL player.

I see both sides but I am still hesitant to give up on Rita. I think it will turn around to bite us in the ass. But I guess if there is no spot then there is no spot...

I just don't know where Lundmark would fit in on the Oil,

Assuming we keep Nedved or get another player as a 1st line C

Nedved
York
Horcoff
Reasoner
Stoll

Lundmark?

He has some still competition to work though. Esp given MacT's love affair with Stoll , Horc and Reasoner...

I don't see him fitting in here...

Old
05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Mizral

Lundmark can play all three forward positions. He played a lot of left wing on the Rangers, especially before all those trades 'cause they were pretty deep there too.

George Bachul - Yeah, but Rita can't even crack the NHL because his play in the AHL isn't good enough, so what is that telling you? Basically you have a 20 point scorer in the NHL who has a chance to be better or a 40 point AHL guy who has the chance to be better.

Then you add Rita might be going back to Finland, and has only played 15 NHL games. Truely, they are in somewhat similar races, but Lundmark is slightly further along and arguably more talented.

Old
05-03-2004, 12:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Lundmark can play all three forward positions. He played a lot of left wing on the Rangers, especially before all those trades 'cause they were pretty deep there too.

George Bachul - Yeah, but Rita can't even crack the NHL because his play in the AHL isn't good enough, so what is that telling you? Basically you have a 20 point scorer in the NHL who has a chance to be better or a 40 point AHL guy who has the chance to be better.

Then you add Rita might be going back to Finland, and has only played 15 NHL games. Truely, they are in somewhat similar races, but Lundmark is slightly further along and arguably more talented.

I don't know about more talented but the rest of the points are valid. But even if he can play all three positions, who's spot does he take? I would rate him higher then anyone on the Oilers right now. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him play? I just know I wasn't very impressed with his play on the Rags for the last few years..

Am I totally out of it here? He doesn't seem to have top 6 potential to me...

Old
05-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

That's a pretty wonky way to establish the quality of a player don't you think? That means that a guy who plays the whole season with Pittsburgh and struggles could potentially be more of an "established NHL talent" even though Jani Rita would likely be way above him on the depth charts in Pittsburgh. Lundmark has played 111 games and struggled in almost every one according to Rangers fans. I don't understand how you can equate the difference in games played to Lundmark being more NHL ready than Rita.

Old
05-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Master Lok

I think it would be a good trade. I'm not convinced that either Rita or Lundmark will fulfill their promise of a top 6 player, but it could be a trade that reminds me of Selivanov, Daigle and Kovalenko - everyone's garbage/sleeper players for everyone else's. Lundmark is local, can play centre as well as a LW or RW. That level of versatility would be welcome on MacT's line blender machine. While we have Horcoff, Reasoner, York and Stoll as the centres, Lundmark would be a nice addition to develop down the middle. Especially if Nedved doesn't sign. If Lundmark doesn't pan out - so what? Rita wasn't going to make the Oil lineup anyways, not with our current depth on LW and RW.

Closed Thread