HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Golfing Expo? What were they thinking?

Old
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Macster

vCash: 500
Haha nice job Sam.

This thread is stupid, don't we have anything better to talk about, like how maybe we are still in the playoff race?

Until we are mathematically eliminated we are still in the hunt.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Yawn

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
After thinking this over...

Maybe JacketFan is on too something. I mean, put the pieces together. The team fired Maclean, a guy who was a season away from bringing us to the top. They hired Howson, who clearly doesn't want to see the team succeed. The team failed to bring anybody in. They traded away Foote and Fedorov, the teams only hope of bringing the franchise to the post season. And they certainly didn't add anybody.

This got me thinking, the team clearly wants the players out of the playoffs. And early off seasons=plenty of downtime=golf. Which leads me to the conclusion that the team is run by a Cabal of Golfers, secretly trying to get Blue Jackets players and fans out golfing often. I mean, McConnell does own Double Eagle. This promotion makes the conclusion even more clear.

The Blue Jackets are a conspiracy to get us golfing.

Avert Your Mind JacketFan. You know too much. Maclean was fired, and he was only beginning to scratch the surface. Who knows what they would do if you uncovered the whole thing.

All true. But I'm not going after JF for using his well established IQ even if people think he is nuts. He simply connected the Flame players playing golf on their bench when getting beat and our organization having a golf seminar in Nationwide tomorrow when it may snow.

To be honest, when I think of those Flame players using their nine irons and we are 7 points away from the trash can it is sort of funny....

Last edited by Robert: 03-21-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Pluckfur

Ulterior motives aside ... I appreciate that boys are going to be "playing" around the the "game" of golf instead of partaking in any real sport - You know, a sport where they might actually exert themselves, break a sweat, or get turf toe. :shiver: The horror.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Ulterior motives aside ... I appreciate that boys are going to be "playing" around the the "game" of golf instead of partaking in any real sport - You know, a sport where they might actually exert themselves, break a sweat, or get turf toe. :shiver: The horror.
I read your post three times and don't get it...

Old
03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I read your post three times and don't get it...
What's to get?

i hate golf. it's a silly game played silly people who aren't even required to be "athletes" - and this is exactly why so many people play it. It's fine as a marketing ploy and a particularly good choice for Columbus and it's Memorial Tournament throngs.

It's not like an "expo" of lacrosse, rugby, water-polo, rock climbing, or bull riding ... no one's going to get hurt ~ thus protecting our playoff chances from falling prey to any golfing shenanigans.

Old
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
What's to get?

i hate golf. it's a silly game played silly people who aren't even required to be "athletes" - and this is exactly why so many people play it. It's fine as a marketing ploy and a particularly good choice for Columbus and it's Memorial Tournament throngs.

It's not like an "expo" of lacrosse, rugby, water-polo, rock climbing, or bull riding ... no one's going to get hurt ~ thus protecting our playoff chances from falling prey to any golfing shenanigans.
I get it now. I'll tell ya what, I admit it's sort of dumb trying to put that little ball in the hole but when you do it's a rush.

As for the public value it's one of the few things 80 year olds can do without government assistance as well...

Old
03-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
What's to get?

You try hitting a ball into a little hole, it's not that easy.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I love George Carlin's opinions on golf.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You try hitting a ball into a little hole, it's not that easy.
Neither is playing a game of chess against a master. Finishing a Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle is grueling. Shopping a 70% off Neiman Marcus sale is not for the uninitiated. And yet, I don't mistake chess, crossword puzzles, or shopping for "sport."

Imagine how hard golf would be if they allowed the gallery to talk ( or chant "ole, ole, ole") while you're trying to putt past the course "goalie." Uh huh, now we're talking...

Old
03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I've always felt it's not a "sport" unless there's a defense. Otherwise, it's a game, contest or race.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Oh it's pretty difficult without all that, otherwise why do I get so angry and toss my clubs into the pond? then proceed to pick up the ball and throw it?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:07 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
This is the front office playing head games with us plain and simple. I've had enough.
I hope you are joking, this was planned weeks and probably months ago, I hardly think that the front office would do anything to aggrevate the fans.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:08 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Howson may have tried to nuke the golf idea, JF. As you and I both know, Hitch adores golf ... and shares a close, personal, and longstanding bond with a golfer or two. Hitch wasn't going to let Howson get too close to the little red nuke button on this one.
I think Hitch and Howson have much more important things to do than worry about what stupid promotion they have planned for the concourse areas.

Old
03-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I think Hitch and Howson have much more important things to do than worry about what stupid promotion they have planned for the concourse areas.
Ya think?

Now pipe down.

thnx.

Old
03-21-2008, 11:34 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Haha nice job Sam.

This thread is stupid, don't we have anything better to talk about, like how maybe we are still in the playoff race?

Until we are mathematically eliminated we are still in the hunt.

Go ahead Macster.... start a thread about something we haven't beaten to death. But please spare us the "mathematically still in the hunt" bullsh*t. That's even more stupid than this thread, and has Zero entertainment value.

Sam, I appreciate your conspiracy humor... but let's go serious for a moment, because the BUSINESS of hockey IS a serious subject. It directly impacts the player budget and ticket prices.

So here's my point: What marketing genius is giving away FREAKIN GOLF VISORS to hockey fans --in light of the fact that GOLF is well-known SYMBOL of what you do when you're out of the playoffs? What's next? == White Flag Night?

This is not an isolated incident to SOME of us. Those of us who are season ticket holders have endured another non-playoff finish, and the mailing of a renewal packet which seems to have RENEGED on the understanding of "how" the season ticket holders are entitled to playoff tickets. The organization admitted they screwed up with the season ticket holder by subsequently mailing TWO unprecedented letters to the season ticket holders explaining themselves.

These ironies and *****-ups may be lost on fans who are not season ticket holders, or who haven't followed the team very long, or who only follow the team on TV, but they are not lost on some of us who have tens of thousands of dollars invested in the team. The golf thing is unfortunate and laughable, but it's not an isolated incident. And to anyone with a marketing degree, it just looks amateurish.

I now return you back to our regularly scheduled "we're still in this" bull****.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 03-21-2008 at 11:43 PM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 08:06 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

It's a promotion, like many of the other somewhat silly promotions all pro teams do. It has nothing to do with the actual team.

It's the marketing department trying to make money by getting a payment from vendors to exhibit at Nationwide and draw any extra fans who decide to buy tickets to the game so they can try the golf stuff there.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 08:52 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

If the golf visors were for the team, I could understand your fit of pique, JF. They're not, they're for the fans, some of whom play golf and many of whom will wear the visor around town and on their travels. It will say "Blue Jackets" on it, in some fashion, I'm sure. Nobody not on this board will see that and say, "Oh, you got that golf visor when the CBJ quit trying to make the playoffs on March 22, 2008." Not everything need be seen as a symbol of disaster. Sometimes, a hat is just a hat. If you don't want yours, pass it on to me. Thank you.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:17 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
After thinking this over...

Maybe JacketFan is on too something. I mean, put the pieces together. The team fired Maclean, a guy who was a season away from bringing us to the top. They hired Howson, who clearly doesn't want to see the team succeed. The team failed to bring anybody in. They traded away Foote and Fedorov, the teams only hope of bringing the franchise to the post season. And they certainly didn't add anybody.

This got me thinking, the team clearly wants the players out of the playoffs. And early off seasons=plenty of downtime=golf. Which leads me to the conclusion that the team is run by a Cabal of Golfers, secretly trying to get Blue Jackets players and fans out golfing often. I mean, McConnell does own Double Eagle. This promotion makes the conclusion even more clear.

The Blue Jackets are a conspiracy to get us golfing.

Avert Your Mind JacketFan. You know too much. Maclean was fired, and he was only beginning to scratch the surface. Who knows what they would do if you uncovered the whole thing.
This is the only reasonable explaination.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:43 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Ya think?

Now pipe down.

thnx.
Of all the posters on this board, you are the only one that I think I have never once agreed with anything you have ever said. 4056 posts? I would tell you to pipe down also but this appears to be the only thing you have going in your life so fire away with more nonsense posts.

Old
03-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Macster

Hahahaha

JF- relax bro. I understand your frustration, but don't pounce on little things like this stupid golf expo and try and turn it into some big deal- because it's not.

There are better things to think and talk about this season. That is my point. I said months ago that we weren't going to make the playoffs. I stand by that. My comment about still being in the playoff race was meant to read that there are good things to take from this season, the fact we are even talking about playoff hockey in March is a great thing.

Don't use the golf expo as a way to show us that you are pissed off. The expo has NOTHING to do with the Blue Jackets.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:51 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'm not directly a season ticket holder, but I go to about 10-20 games a year.

Every time I've seen that commercial or heard it on 1460 promoting it, I feel like its a slap in the face. While I understand it was a business move planned months in advance, I sympathize with JF's point of view, its bad timing and seemingly in bad taste at this point...

If this was October or November, I wouldn't have a problem, then again, not many people in Columbus go golfing in October and November, but do in the Spring.

Its a sad coincidence that this was held with the situation the team is in.

I truly feel it hurts more then it would if this were an AHL or Major Junior team, there's a vested interest those those teams, but show me the fan that spends thousands of dollars a season to watch the next number one draft pick play in the junior leagues.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
cbj21

We are still in the hunt

Only reason i bother to watch these boards right now. Ill be gone as soon as were out. cya maybe next season in advance.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I'm not directly a season ticket holder, but I go to about 10-20 games a year.

Every time I've seen that commercial or heard it on 1460 promoting it, I feel like its a slap in the face. While I understand it was a business move planned months in advance, I sympathize with JF's point of view, its bad timing and seemingly in bad taste at this point...

If this was October or November, I wouldn't have a problem, then again, not many people in Columbus go golfing in October and November, but do in the Spring.

Its a sad coincidence that this was held with the situation the team is in.
Which leads me to believe the marketing folks didn't think the team would be in this situation when they planned this.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
What's next? == White Flag Night?
I had to laugh at that, because some nights I've been at NA, I wish I had a white flag.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote