HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

playing with glasses

Old
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
EG

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EG
playing with glasses

So who here plays while wearing glasses? I do and the league I'm starting in in April requires a full cage and helmet, so I'm wondering how you combat fog underneath a cage.

Also- which is better to prevent fogged glasses- A metal cage mask or the half visor half cage type mask?

EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:25 PM
K-PAX*

Go with a cage if you need glasses. That way you only have to fight fog on your specks. There's some anti- fog lens solutions that combat fog pretty good, so I'd pick up some if I were you.

It's definitely worth it to get contacts however.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
deanosaur

get a half cage half visor. and get a custom visor part so you can see.

or as much as i dont want to agree with my buddy k-pax.. get contacts haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Jorgg

I never used anti-fog stuff, and what typically happened is that my glasses would fog up once, and a few seconds of skating solved it and it wouldn't happen again. I wore a full cage.

I must say, though, that contacts are better for hockey.

Jorgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
I wear contacts, so much easier that way.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:46 PM
EG

My vision is actually so bad that they can't make a prescription visor, but I have Eric Gagne style sports glasses. I hated contacts the first time I tried them and have been a glasses man since then, so I will definitely look into that anti-fog lens cleaner.

Old
03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
I never used a cage and have used only half visors or visor combos while playing with glasses. I've never tried contacts ever in my life, and haven't really found the need to. I don't really ever experience fog, but sometimes in the summer when it is a bit warmer, I do smear shampoo, and buff it off, on my glasses and the visor as a precaution.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG View Post
My vision is actually so bad that they can't make a prescription visor, but I have Eric Gagne style sports glasses. I hated contacts the first time I tried them and have been a glasses man since then, so I will definitely look into that anti-fog lens cleaner.
You have to be patient with contacts, man. It took me 2-3 weeks to master how to insert them in my eyes. Once you get the hang of it, it should only take a second to insert each contact, even without the help of a mirror.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 12:07 AM
K-PAX*

Yeah he's right dude. Contacts seem terrible but once you can get them in they're ace. My sister would put them in for me before my hockey games and eventually my eyes became desensitized enough so that I could do it myself.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 12:40 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I had glasses for many years. Aside from the fogging, one thing to keep in mind is that they very likely will get bent. I only had one pair with an up-to-date Rx, so it was difficult when I had class the next day.

Contacts and I had big issues back in high school.

I was lucky enough in college to get laser eye surgery. If you're under 30, you should save up and get it done asap. The younger you are when you get it, the more likely it is to not regress.

Playing without foggy glasses for the first time was unbelievable. Everything just looked different, and I could look down at the ice as clearly as looking forward.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 04:34 PM
frito

I just got contacts last week. I tried them about ten years ago and I hated them. I had to wear glass perms because of an astigmatism. I can now wear toric soft lenses and the difference between them and the glass perms is huge. I played my first game a couple nights ago and it was great. The best thing about the contacts is getting your periphial vision back.

If contacts are an absolute no deal, try rubbing some dish soap on your lenses. Put on just a couple dots, rub it into a light film and let it dry. Then wipe clean. It helps a bit but even with that, which works so well for some of my teammates, still fogs about half way into the game for me.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Sasha

I agree with the contacts comments. The first day I used them it was horrible. Took me several minutes to put them on, and I was very uncomfortable. I also felt like my eyes where going to crystallize with the wind.
Now I can put them on in one try and with no mirror. It just takes getting used to them.
And don't fall asleep with them, because if your eyes are dry its really painful to take them off.

Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Cold

If you get the half visor/cage, make sure you have a cloth. Glasses collect sweat really easily and it really hurts your play when you cannot see properly. I make sure to wipe my glasses between every period.

Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

These brothers did ok for themselves.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I played very briefly with glasses and a cage.

Contacts seem like the worst thing in the world when you first start. Headaches, eye sensitivity, just fear of messing with your eye, etc. it's terrible but the relative torment for the first few days is worth it for instantly improved vision for the rest of your life.

If contacts are really a problem though and you absolutely want to get rid of the glasses, think about Lasik surgery.

Anti-fog stuff never worked for me.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Heat McManus

I played with glasses or about two weeks when my contacts ran out and I was waiting for new ones.

They fogged up on the bench, but cleared up once I got on the ice. I wear a cage.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:01 PM
EG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I played with glasses or about two weeks when my contacts ran out and I was waiting for new ones.

They fogged up on the bench, but cleared up once I got on the ice. I wear a cage.
This is exactly how its been for me.

Old
04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
this may be off topic...but my visor on my cage/visor combo always steams up in ice hockey, i've put the washing up liquid but it doesnt work should, i go back to a cage?

I recomend contacts, my teammate used to wear glasses and they broke, and he's used contacts ever since

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
As I might have said before...I use a visor combo and wear glasses with no problems. DId you use dishsoap or shampoo and smear it around? Let it dry a little then buff, don't just do a quick on/off cause it won't leave enough residue on there to keep it from fogging.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:46 PM
OilerNut*

I guess I am lucky in a way that my eyes aren't that bad so I just take off my glasses when I play. I have trouble reading the scoreboard but that is about all. Anyone else the same?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
As I might have said before...I use a visor combo and wear glasses with no problems. DId you use dishsoap or shampoo and smear it around? Let it dry a little then buff, don't just do a quick on/off cause it won't leave enough residue on there to keep it from fogging.

yeah it was dry, i used motorcylce visor spray aswell, which worked for about a period and then was as bad as always

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 03:11 AM
MG91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
You have to be patient with contacts, man. It took me 2-3 weeks to master how to insert them in my eyes. Once you get the hang of it, it should only take a second to insert each contact, even without the help of a mirror.
Same here man, i actually missed a game because i was so fixed on getting my contacts in for it. I got them in like 4 hours later.

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote