HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Comfortable on skates...

Old
03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Comfortable on skates...

Well I've decided to get back into ice hockey, and bought a set of skates (Nike Bauer XIX). They fit absolutely perfect, Dan from the Chelsea Piers Pro Shop really took care of me and gave me a good price on the skates (Thanks again Dan). I'm 19, haven't really ice skated (Outside maybe 3-4 times recreationally with rented skates, never with fitted hockey skates) since I was about 6-7, or the last time I played hockey.
Are there any drills/things I can focus on to help me get more comfortable on my skates? I still need to get used to the edges of the skates, and I need to build ankle strength, so anything will help. My transitional skating BLOWS, basically non existent at this point. (forward to back, back to forward, STOPPING) You can see people that skate like it's second nature, maybe one day I'll get that good. But for now I'm looking to get my skating up to par so I can play in a league or even just pickup games. Any pointers? I'm willing to put the time in, because in the end, I have to skate to get better, but maybe I can be pointed in the right direction.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 03:38 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Just suggestions...

Cross overs: around the circles, go around one, then to the other, around that the other way, then to another.

straight up skating: lunge type strides down the ice

stopping: hold on to the boards, and make the stopping motion (hope you know what that is...) while holding on. After you feel comfortable, make that motion without holding on, then try it with skating slow, then skating fast obviously...

Best of luck! Hope this helps

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:51 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie For Captain View Post
stopping: hold on to the boards, and make the stopping motion (hope you know what that is...) while holding on. After you feel comfortable, make that motion without holding on, then try it with skating slow, then skating fast obviously...
That's actually what I did. I figure once I get the feel/technique down I'll do it on the open ice. I tried a few times open ice stops and made an ass of myself.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

I would recommend asking a friend to help you learn - especially one that's patient haha

The most important thing to learn is how to go, and how to stop. Everything else is secondary. I would recommend going to your local ice rink 3-4 times this week with the focus on building a comfortable stride. Be able to propel yourself forward slowly, quickly, from a dead stop, and be able to alter speed. After that, you will feel much more comfortable to start stopping - but that's advice for another day haha

Actually, one word of advice for learning to stop: wear pads, don't be a tough guy. My friend sprained his elbow the other day trying to stop - he wiped out and fell hard on it, and he's been skating forever.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:39 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Actually, one word of advice for learning to stop: wear pads, don't be a tough guy. My friend sprained his elbow the other day trying to stop - he wiped out and fell hard on it, and he's been skating forever.
Good point. But I may have underestimated my skating ability. I can skate, get a decent stride going, turn OK, but that's it. I guess time on the ice is the only way it will become second nature.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Good point. But I may have underestimated my skating ability. I can skate, get a decent stride going, turn OK, but that's it. I guess time on the ice is the only way it will become second nature.
True, time is the only thing that can make something second nature. But now that you are learning to do some more complex things, it would be beneficial for you in the long run to learn to do things properly the first time so you don't have to spend time unlearning them later. It would suck to have stopping become 2nd nature for you just so you can learn that you are doing it wrong or inefficiently haha

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:57 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Pretty much. You could ask at your rink whether there's any kind of beginning hockey class for adults- one for beginners would probably focus a lot on skating- or if there are any coaches who do private lessons for hockey. A lot of rinks have one or two figure skating coaches with some hockey experience who teach power skating-type stuff.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote