HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do most people love/hate Detroit?

Old
03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Nordique

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saipa View Post
I do like Dallas more than Detroit.

Yes, if he speaks Finnish.
Dallas has or had a Suomi line right?

I only ask because a Finnish ex CBJ player once told me that Esa is hard to understand, regardless what language you speak(I believe his wife is Swedish? and he often speaks a nonsensicle hybrid of English, Finnish, and Swedish). When Tikanen played in the NHL, they used to feature him in the press because of his trash talking on the ice. Players would be interviewed after games saying, "I have no idea what he told me on the ice, but I'm sure it wasn't nice."

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
How about the fact that everytime I have to watch a game at Detroit there are tons of jackasses standing up in front of the camera because the TV cameras are so low to the ice. It wasn't cute the first 10,000 times, please stop.

Joe Louis Arena is garbage dump.
Its the fans fault that the cameras are too low? Good logic.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
saipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Dallas has or had a Suomi line right?

I only ask because a Finnish ex CBJ player once told me that Esa is hard to understand, regardless what language you speak(I believe his wife is Swedish? and he often speaks a nonsensicle hybrid of English, Finnish, and Swedish). When Tikanen played in the NHL, they used to feature him in the press because of his trash talking on the ice. Players would be interviewed after games saying, "I have no idea what he told me on the ice, but I'm sure it wasn't nice."
Yes,
Dallas has three Finnish players(Hagman, Lehtinen and Miettinen) and one whose last name is Finnish (Niskanen).

Esa spoke "tiki-talk", mix of English and Finnish.

saipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 02:08 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Its the fans fault that the cameras are too low? Good logic.
No it's the fans fault for standing up, turning around, and waving like children.

It happens 100 times a game and it's totally annoying.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
No it's the fans fault for standing up, turning around, and waving like children.

It happens 100 times a game and it's totally annoying.
It does seem to happen at Detroit more than any other arena. Maybe it's because their seats are so empty it's much easier to notice the people calling their friends/family at home.

"Can you see me? I'm waiving! Did you see me! Hold on the puck is coming back now. DID YOU SEE ME?"

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Pucknacious

Watching a televised game at the Joe always puts me in mind of watching a basketball game from Assembly Hall, in Bloomington.

Same one-camera-hangin'-low feel.

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
VooX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I don't know. What young goalies do they have in their system? Defense is also an area of concern given the age of Lidstrom, and of course Chelios is drawing social security next year right?

I would not be suprised to see Detroit back at the top of the standings in the West next season. The culture and the system makes good players great, as long as they have some young goaltending and a scoring defensemen somwhere in the queue.
Dom will probably be gone next year, and unless we trade or sign someone (Miller?) Osgood will be our #1. In the pipeline we have a well developed young goalie named Jimmy Howard. He has been called to play when we had goalie injury problems, and has played VERY well, making incredibly tough saves. He has let his focus slip and not been as sharp, but with experience he should be okay.

As far as defense, if you had asked any Detroit fan before January and we would have said we are in trouble for depth. But then all of our defensement got injured and we had to field call-ups.

In one game of the 6 defensemen dressed, only 2 had played more than 25 NHL games all-time. And yet, despite losing, our young corps looked very promising and capable. Especially a kid named Ericsson. He never played an NHL game before a month ago, but came in to become one of our top D-men when Lidstrom, Rafalski, Chelios, and Kronwall were injured at the same time.

We need an elite goalie to become indestructable, IMHO.

VooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooX View Post

We need an elite goalie to become indestructable, IMHO.

What a revoltin' developement that would be!

I've had lots of good times in Detroit and respect what the organization has done, but... I hate the Wings fans that come down here, hate the Yankee-esque attitude, and hate the "respect" they get from the worst officials in sports. They've been bad before and will be again. I just hope I'm around to watch it!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
guinness
those were the days

Isn't that like asking why people root for the Wolverines or the Buckeyes in football?

I hate UofM, because of their arrogant ass fans. So when tOSU beats them, it brings me joy. As for hockey...

I love the Wings, because I'm from the area, and their the local team. I respect the other teams in the division, well not St. Louis, but the BJ's just can't pull it together, it would make an awesome matchup, with the whole Michigan/Ohio thing.

Yeah, I agree, the Joe is a dump, but they'll be putting a new arena in the Foxtown area probably in a few years, so it'll be all good. Besides, the city of Detroit owns the Joe, so why would Ilitch want to throw his money into it?

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Come on now, how can anyone hate the city & the fans that invented the game of hockey?????

Remember, it's "Hockey Town"

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 02:41 PM
TorontoSports

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1BFfTf8MNE

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Byrral

Being from Detroit and a former Wings fans, it's not hard for me to be objective. There is a definate sense of jealousy from other teams fans because of the Wings success over the past 15+ years. But there's also a sense of arrogance from the Wing fans that's easy to kindle the fire for hatin'.

As a former die hard Wings fan I just want to know where all of the bandwagon "I've been a Wings fan forever" people were when I used to go to games the last few years that Olympia Stadium was open and the first few years at The Joe. When there weren't but 5,000 people in the stands at best, when Mike Illitch had to give away cars at every game just to get people in the door and the team that is so adored and annointed now was referred to as the "Dead Things". It certainly is easy to be a fan when things are going well.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Why do people hate the Red Wings? Pure Jealousy

Lets count the reasons we hate them:

1. They draft better than everyone else despite having the lowest picks
2. They have the longest playoff streak in pro sports
3. Howe, Lindsay, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Kelly, Delvecchio, etc. 10 Stanley Cups
4. They have an owner who wants to win and will spend to do it
5. They have 2 of the top 5 forwards in the league. They have one of the top 5 d-men and top 5 goalies all time.
6. They have the best coach in history, best current GM, best scouting director, and the best future GM. All on the same management team.
7. Free agents want to go there because of the organization and the suburbs.
8. "Hockeytown". Its a brilliant marketing ploy. Get over it.
9. They find scrubs like Dan Cleary and turn them into stars.

Most important:
10. They have owned this division for the last 15 years and will own it for the next 15 years.

That should cover it. I love how fans whine about how they're the "Yankees" of hockey. Study their drafts and trades and give credit where its due. The Wings are easily the best run organization in hockey.
I've never yearned for 1986 so badly before.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
heyfolks

NHL.com, this past weekend may provide a few answers.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=357559

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console?type=...4796&catid=613

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

When the divisions were different, teams gave detroit a run for their money quite foten. I.E Dallas was in the same division as Detroit, they won the division in 1997. AND, since the new divisions, St. Louis has given the Wings a run for their money on more than one occasion

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote