HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Brass back up?

Old
03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
maybe Howson figures better let Brassard play in some meaningful games, isn't Syracuse still in a serious playoff push? That said, Brassard call up was nothing to write home about.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:56 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Did anybody read the Cruch fans post in the Syrcause sticky? http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=423795&page=30

Sounds like Brassard is just sucking hind tit because of effort. I hope this kid gets his head out of his ass.

Said Konopka was screaming at him. Damn I wish he would make this club. We need the Konopka.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
shannonf

I was at the Jacket's practice the day before the trade deadline and someone pulled a prank on Brass. I don't know who, but someone unscrewed the lid of his gatorade and when he went to drink it it just spilled all over him. Everyone was laughing and he just hung his head and skated away. So I'm thinking maybe he's upset cos it didn't exactly seem like he was buddy buddy with any of the other Jackets. I actually have the aftermath on video..it was pretty damn funny but I felt bad for laughing at the poor kid.

shannonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

I love Brass, I see so much potential in him, I hope he picks his game up

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
LaCosta Nostra

I didn't hear one word about him being sent down from Hitch or the radio/TV/Dispatch guys. Am I the only one that remembers "once he's up, he stays up"???? I don't care he was sent down, but with all the hype, I didn't hear crap that he left.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:16 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Here's a question: how screwn is the CBJ organization if Brass washes out? Pretty darn screwn would be my answer.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I think spoon just invented a new word, there.

They won't be screwed if they trade him and he doesn't pan out, though.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Monk

I really want a prospect to get it going. It seems like all of the recent ones have just been a disappointment. Doesn't have to be Brassard. But one of them, for god's sake...

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I think spoon just invented a new word, there.
I take no credit for it. I saw it on a bulletin board last year and it instantly became my new favorite word. Screw proper English.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Since my post in the Crunch thread caused a new batch of posts, I wanted to expand on my opinions in here.

I want to like Brass. He's the best passer I've seen at the AHL level in a Crunch uniform. His vision is incredible. His stick work is great, and he has a quick, accurate poke check.

However, he still has a large number of things to work on. He's so hesitant to shoot I almost think he looks to pass on penalty shots. (Over the top yes, but you get my point). He looks like he's so afraid of contact to the point where you can almost see him cringe. Maybe that's from the injury last season, but if he's gun shy 18 months later, when will he get over it? He's not strong on the puck, if there is someone on the other team around him, there will be a turnover. He's bad in the defensive zone. He's slow on changes, and tends to float at other times. I haven't interacted with him at all, but some people I know who have have said he's also not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Lastly, he needs to play with heart and passion, I have never seen that from the kid.

A lot of these things can be fixed with proper coaching and time in the weight room. If he adds 15-20 pounds (a la Nash) he'll be alot stronger, and probably more confident. He needs to be told to shoot more, and have that reinforced. It seems like he either needs to be handled with kid gloves by the coach, or continuously built up with encouragement. Hopefully that's just youth/immaturity.

Do I think he can be a successful NHLer. Yes. Do I think it's a guarantee. No. He has the talent to make it, there is no doubt of that. Can he get his mind and emotional skills to the point where they compliment his physical tools? We shall see.

I just don't see those things happening in Syracuse. We've got a tough team right now, and his play doesn't fit in.

As I've said a huge number of times, mostly in the minor league thread, the biggest jump in play is at the start of the second pro season. I think that's because of the year of experience, an offseason with the pro strength and conditioning team, and the work that the players need to do to improve areas they've found they are weak in. I'm hoping Brass takes all of those factors and works his a$$ off this summer, and comes back ready to dominate, either here or in Ohio. Otherwise, ship him out for someone who can.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understood was that they found him to be a bit to slow for the NHL, and he needs to grow into his body more along with hitting the weight room.

In other words, he needs to work on his skating (speed) and bulk up and muscle up to make it in the NHL.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post
Since my post in the Crunch thread caused a new batch of posts, I wanted to expand on my opinions in here.

I want to like Brass. He's the best passer I've seen at the AHL level in a Crunch uniform. His vision is incredible. His stick work is great, and he has a quick, accurate poke check.

However, he still has a large number of things to work on. He's so hesitant to shoot I almost think he looks to pass on penalty shots. (Over the top yes, but you get my point). He looks like he's so afraid of contact to the point where you can almost see him cringe. Maybe that's from the injury last season, but if he's gun shy 18 months later, when will he get over it? He's not strong on the puck, if there is someone on the other team around him, there will be a turnover. He's bad in the defensive zone. He's slow on changes, and tends to float at other times. I haven't interacted with him at all, but some people I know who have have said he's also not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Lastly, he needs to play with heart and passion, I have never seen that from the kid.

A lot of these things can be fixed with proper coaching and time in the weight room. If he adds 15-20 pounds (a la Nash) he'll be alot stronger, and probably more confident. He needs to be told to shoot more, and have that reinforced. It seems like he either needs to be handled with kid gloves by the coach, or continuously built up with encouragement. Hopefully that's just youth/immaturity.

Do I think he can be a successful NHLer. Yes. Do I think it's a guarantee. No. He has the talent to make it, there is no doubt of that. Can he get his mind and emotional skills to the point where they compliment his physical tools? We shall see.

I just don't see those things happening in Syracuse. We've got a tough team right now, and his play doesn't fit in.

As I've said a huge number of times, mostly in the minor league thread, the biggest jump in play is at the start of the second pro season. I think that's because of the year of experience, an offseason with the pro strength and conditioning team, and the work that the players need to do to improve areas they've found they are weak in. I'm hoping Brass takes all of those factors and works his a$$ off this summer, and comes back ready to dominate, either here or in Ohio. Otherwise, ship him out for someone who can.
Thanks for the insight as always.

I hope they can get him turned around. I think Hitch will have to develop a plan with him. Kind of like he did with Z. It seems from reading some insight that he is very fragile. Physically and mentally.

But, I think if anybody can do it...Hitch can.

Any word on why he was "snuck" back down to the AHL?

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
Thanks for the insight as always.

Any word on why he was "snuck" back down to the AHL?
You're welcome as always.

I haven't heard anything about why he was sent down, what he was told, or anything else of that nature. They are definitely keeping that close to the vest.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
pickledcotton

Hubby said he "wants to like Brass." I say the same thing about Sestito. Thing is, they both need something they won't get at this level: coaching.

Brassard needs to be told to pull his head out of his ass. Maybe he needs a father figure on the team? I remember the first time I saw Konopka scream at him... he had just taken a penalty and Konopka went over to the box and ripped him a new one. He came out of the box and scored. Last night, I don't even know what he did (or didn't, more likely) but Konopka confronted him at center ice and gave him an earful.

Look at Duvie. (Note: Konopka is on record as saying that he initially assumed Duvie would be pissed about being sent down and dog it; now he says that having NHL vets come down and really lead the team is huge to the playoff push.) Duvie's career is tailing off... but he is playing his best hockey ever. He has something to prove, and I personally hope he lands on an NHL team and shows Howson and Hitch what the they lost.

Brass has something to prove, too, but it doesn't seem to hit home with him. You know who he reminds me of? Nikolai Zherdev of 3 years ago, only he speaks better English. Great passer, won't shoot, gives up the puck all the time trying to make sexy moves. Look at Zherdev now. I think you get Brass a coach who won't put up with his crap, and maybe he'll make something of himself.

BTW... feel very sorry for SCF. He has to listen to me screaming "FRANCHISE!" every time Brassard hits the ice. I'm certain it's more than a little obnoxious

pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:41 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I like what Hitchcock said about where this franchise is headed next year: we can "let the AHL player play in the AHL." As much fun as it is to watch the young kids, we aren't going to win with them, and I'm ready to win.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 02:10 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I like what Hitchcock said about where this franchise is headed next year: we can "let the AHL player play in the AHL." As much fun as it is to watch the young kids, we aren't going to win with them, and I'm ready to win.
So instead of us having a varsity team staffed with a bunch of JV players, we will have a true squad of varsity players. I can't wait!!!

Old
03-18-2008, 02:50 AM
fitchjr1

vCash: 560
Listening to Crunch games, I have heard it said at least twice that Brassard requested to be sent down. Something along the lines of wanting to play instead of being scratched in the NHL.

Personally, I think the jaw injury has had a big affect on him. I think he was called up way too fast after the injury (again my opinion) and that he wasn't in game shape at that time. Maybe all of that has caused the confidence issues/struggles during his callup, as well as the issues he still is showing in Syracuse (ie. thinking pass before shoot on wide open situations, etc).

Again, just my thoughts.

fitchjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
You wanna play with the big boys .. act like a big boy suck it up and deal with it .. Play Lights out to make the Jackets wish they never sent ya down
Well exactly, this is the kid's chance to lead a team through the playoffs. I know he wants to be in Columbus, but what he can do in Syracuse right now is more important for his development.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledcotton View Post

Look at Duvie. (Note: Konopka is on record as saying that he initially assumed Duvie would be pissed about being sent down and dog it; now he says that having NHL vets come down and really lead the team is huge to the playoff push.) Duvie's career is tailing off... but he is playing his best hockey ever. He has something to prove, and I personally hope he lands on an NHL team and shows Howson and Hitch what the they lost.
I'm not sure he won't have a chance to show them in camp next season. What would stop him from making the CBJ roster in '08/09 ?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:31 AM
LaCosta Nostra

He needs to look at the Brule situation for his guidance. Brule was sent down, he busted his butt and he was called back up and he's been playing on the top 3 lines for the most part and the coaching staff is much happier with his play. Brassard needs to grow up mentally first.

Old
03-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Something Very interesting I noticed, when looking over Derick Brassard's stats, etc.

2005-06 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL GP:58 G:44 A:72 P:116 PM:92

Now looking at Jakub Voracek

2006-07 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL GP:59 G:23 A:63 P:86 PM:26

Similar Stats indeed...

Last edited by Cyborg Yzerman: 03-24-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
sinbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post
He needs to look at the Brule situation for his guidance. Brule was sent down, he busted his butt and he was called back up and he's been playing on the top 3 lines for the most part and the coaching staff is much happier with his play. Brassard needs to grow up mentally first.
Brassard is playing some real good hockey in Syracuse. 3 points vs GR Saturday night.
My one problem with Brassard is his weight. He seems to get knocked off the puck [when they can catch him] and could use another 10 lbs before he plays with the big boys in Columbus.
One good thing about him playing here in Syracuse is if someone runs him all hell is going to break loose. The team down here has the heart of a lion and the toughness to back it up.

sinbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:47 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
Something Very interesting I noticed, when looking over Derick Brassard's stats, etc.

2005-06 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL GP:58 G:44 A:72 P:116 PM:92

2006-07 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL GP:59 G:23 A:63 P:86 PM:26

Similar Stats indeed...
A prime reason why no one should expect Voracek to come in here and tear it up next year. If he ends up making the team and contributes then that's a bonus but I'm not penciling him in for anything.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
when looking over Derick Brassard's stats, etc.

2005-06 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL GP:58 G:44 A:72 P:116

2006-07 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL GP:59 G:23 A:63 P:86

Similar Stats indeed...
They may be similar statistics - but not necessarily..... When I look at Brassard's stats I notice he had 23 power play goals (1/2 of his total goals) - therefore was on the #1 PP line... One might assume that 1/2 his assists were also on the power play...

Voracek has only 6 power play goals (1/4 of his total goals) - therefore .... It should also be noted that Voracek leads the team with +21 so is a very good even strength player..........

Voracek will probably need a year in Springfield - that is where you can monitor him better to actually judge his potential compared to Brassard's........

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote