HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Expansion draft

Old
05-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I would not be surprised if Smith plus prospects is on the table. I truly believe Smith is a type that GMGM would want.
Based on contract I feel the same about Jarnkrok

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Gh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Based on contract I feel the same about Jarnkrok
I think the question is, how much more he wants Jarnkrok (or Wilson) than Smith. In other words, what LV wants to "trade down".

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2017, 06:53 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
This post season has proven Poile's strategy of having good mobile defenseman. He isn't going to trade away or leave one of the top 4 exposed in the draft.

If I'm Poile, I use the expansion draft as leverage to get Neal to sign an extension. If he does, you protect him and lose Krok or Wilson. If he won't sign, you leave Neal exposed.

The expansion draft is coming at a bad time for Nashville. We are going to lose a very good player that just signed a bargain long term deal (Krok).
Neal isn't allowed to sign an extension until July1.

05-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Lateralous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldOnGold View Post
How good of a prospect(s) would we want to give up for LV to take Smith?
2nd round pick?

Lateralous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralous View Post
2nd round pick?
If that was the case, I'd do it easily. Would give the Preds around 8 million (With everyone signed) to work with this offseason as well.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2017, 06:03 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Fiala is exempt and Fisher is a UFA. Also, there is no chance Ekholm is exposed. The list is pretty simple:

Johansen
Forsberg
Arvidsson
Neal
Subban
Josi
Ellis
Ekholm
Rinne

Which means they'll lose Jarnkrok or Wilson unless they make a trade with Vegas.
are you sure Fiala is exempt?? It seems he's in his 3rd year (AHL since 14-15 season although he only played 33 games then).

Fisher has an NMC. doesn't that mean he has to be protected? Or is it only those under contract?

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
are you sure Fiala is exempt?? It seems he's in his 3rd year (AHL since 14-15 season although he only played 33 games then).

Fisher has an NMC. doesn't that mean he has to be protected? Or is it only those under contract?
Per CapFriendly Fiala is.

https://capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

And Fisher's contract is up so he doesn't have to be protected.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Lateralous

Quote:
If that was the case, I'd do it easily. Would give the Preds around 8 million (With everyone signed) to work with this offseason as well.
Actually, with the pick bumping back to 28th or worse depending on how the rest of the playoffs go, I would consider giving up the 1st rounder to move Smith and his contract and not lose one of the others. The salary space alone in keeping a bargain contract like Jarnkrok while moving Smiths bloated deal is worth it.

Also, the Preds basically got a free asset today in Edjsell which somewhat offsets the loss of the pick.

Lateralous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2017, 02:55 AM
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(

Yeah Smith + 1st AT LEAST should get it done.

Scoresberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 02:08 PM
BUX7PHX

What is the value on Smith? Coyote fan asking, as Arizona has the 23rd OA pick this year from MIN. Would that be enough on its own to deal for the remaining years on Smith's contract?

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
What is the value on Smith? Coyote fan asking, as Arizona has the 23rd OA pick this year from MIN. Would that be enough on its own to deal for the remaining years on Smith's contract?
I'd move Smith for the 23rd, sure. I actually think he might do well with Tippet and the Coyotes also, he had his best years under Trotz.

Old
05-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I'd move Smith for the 23rd, sure. I actually think he might do well with Tippet and the Coyotes also, he had his best years under Trotz.
23rd is iffy to get us a player of Smith's caliber back. So we lose Smith and then one of Jarnkrok or Wilson and only return a pick that is unlikely to have an impact for 4-5 years, if ever?

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
23rd is iffy to get us a player of Smith's caliber back. So we lose Smith and then one of Jarnkrok or Wilson and only return a pick that is unlikely to have an impact for 4-5 years, if ever?
First off, let's not act like Smith's contribution has been very valuable at all over the past two years. Second, you can use the 1st round pick (or other assets) to get Vegas to select someone else, or as a piece in a trade to help get a better winger than Smith. Finally, it frees up 4+ million in cap space. Smith for a 1st rounder, even in a weak year, is a no brainer.

Edit: I quickly glanced at the free agency list for next year, here are some players that should sign for a similar cap hit that I'd prefer for at least next year:

Patrick Sharp
Justin Williams
Jaromir Jagr
Drew Stafford, Thomas Vanek (Maybe on both, probably at least as useful as Smith and should be able to sign them pretty cheap)
TJ Oshie (Would cost about 2 million more, but massive upgrade)
Patrick Eaves
Patrick Marleau (If he leaves San Jose)

That was after just a 2 minute glance at upcoming UFA wingers.

Last edited by Mortiest Morty: 05-15-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old
05-15-2017, 09:37 PM
King Weber

Quote:
First off, let's not act like Smith's contribution has been very valuable at all over the past two years. Second, you can use the 1st round pick (or other assets) to get Vegas to select someone else, or as a piece in a trade to help get a better winger than Smith. Finally, it frees up 4+ million in cap space. Smith for a 1st rounder, even in a weak year, is a no brainer.

Edit: I quickly glanced at the free agency list for next year, here are some players that should sign for a similar cap hit that I'd prefer for at least next year:

Patrick Sharp
Justin Williams
Jaromir Jagr
Drew Stafford, Thomas Vanek (Maybe on both, probably at least as useful as Smith and should be able to sign them pretty cheap)
TJ Oshie (Would cost about 2 million more, but massive upgrade)
Patrick Eaves
Patrick Marleau (If he leaves San Jose)

That was after just a 2 minute glance at upcoming UFA wingers.
Or maybe that second line center we need since we have so many wingers already.

And man, how great would it be to see Jagr in a Predators jersey?

King Weber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:37 PM
wingsfan17

So has this playoffs changed people's perspective on Jarnkrok's value? I heard a minority, but a few people suggest protecting Jarnkrok over Neal, which I thought was assanine at the time and even worse now. Or some people mentioned trading a 1st to LV to protect him. I just don't see that value in him, a second and a third maybe? Sure. I get he has a nice contract but he's just not that good in my eyes, he's a third liner. Great defensively, below average offensively with just zero playmaking ability (look at his career assists and Neal's huge drop in goals when he got paired with him).

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfan17 View Post
So has this playoffs changed people's perspective on Jarnkrok's value? I heard a minority, but a few people suggest protecting Jarnkrok over Neal, which I thought was assanine at the time and even worse now. Or some people mentioned trading a 1st to LV to protect him. I just don't see that value in him, a second and a third maybe? Sure. I get he has a nice contract but he's just not that good in my eyes, he's a third liner. Great defensively, below average offensively with just zero playmaking ability (look at his career assists and Neal's huge drop in goals when he got paired with him).
Today on the radio Poile said A.) they already know who they want to protect and B.) the playoffs haven't changed how they view anyone as far as the draft strategy goes. I don't think they should protect Jarnkrok over Neal, I'd just be open to the idea of a trade. I see no real way Jarnkrok is protected unless we get it in our heads that 5 more years at 10 years total of Jarnkrok is better than one year of a soon-to-be UFA Neal, therefore leaving more money to throw at a potential long term replacement for Neal.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:50 PM
tampa pred

Quote:
Not much. He has been disappointing in the playoffs but we don't know how much his injury is affecting his play. He will never prosper against big, physical teams (Blues, Ducks), so that has something to do with him looking bad also. I don't protect him over Neal, but I do think that it is worth a late 1st to get LV to take Smith or Wilson (and their bloated contract). I don't think that LV does this though (sounds like Poile agrees).

Krok's contract makes him a very valuable player for any team. Everybody assumes that LV will have no problem with salary cap (or budget), but many of the good players exposed will have bloated contracts. They will have to decide if they want to eat some bad contracts in order to get some good players. Getting a good, young 2C (or 3C at worst) who can play a good 2-way game signed to a long-term bargain contract will be invaluable to them.

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 02:01 PM
wingsfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
Not much. He has been disappointing in the playoffs but we don't know how much his injury is affecting his play. He will never prosper against big, physical teams (Blues, Ducks), so that has something to do with him looking bad also. I don't protect him over Neal, but I do think that it is worth a late 1st to get LV to take Smith or Wilson (and their bloated contract). I don't think that LV does this though (sounds like Poile agrees).

Krok's contract makes him a very valuable player for any team. Everybody assumes that LV will have no problem with salary cap (or budget), but many of the good players exposed will have bloated contracts. They will have to decide if they want to eat some bad contracts in order to get some good players. Getting a good, young 2C (or 3C at worst) who can play a good 2-way game signed to a long-term bargain contract will be invaluable to them.
Good point. I think the one thing Nashville (and other teams) have going for them is that Vegas won't have the roster size to keep the 30 best available players, so even if it's not a great deal for them, they'll be looking for a few trades to collect some 1st/2nd rounders.

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 05:05 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
Good point. I think the one thing Nashville (and other teams) have going for them is that Vegas won't have the roster size to keep the 30 best available players, so even if it's not a great deal for them, they'll be looking for a few trades to collect some 1st/2nd rounders.
this a point thats getting overlooked in some circles, I think.

If Vegas takes 30 NHL caliber players all on one way contracts they are gonna have at least 7 players that they subsequently have to trade or send to the minors and risk losing on waivers or paying NHL salaries to play in the AHL.

But since no GM knows for sure which 23 or so NHL caliber players GMGM is gonna pick, he can go fishing for good deals on guys on two way contracts.

Since we are going to be one of the few teams protecting four defensemen, however, I expect we will have some of the better forwards available, so that may be a moot point.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this a point thats getting overlooked in some circles, I think.

If Vegas takes 30 NHL caliber players all on one way contracts they are gonna have at least 7 players that they subsequently have to trade or send to the minors and risk losing on waivers or paying NHL salaries to play in the AHL.

But since no GM knows for sure which 23 or so NHL caliber players GMGM is gonna pick, he can go fishing for good deals on guys on two way contracts.

Since we are going to be one of the few teams protecting four defensemen, however, I expect we will have some of the better forwards available, so that may be a moot point.
Also, they will draft 30 contracted players and allowed a max of 50. 2 filled with signings already. So 30 to fill with only 48 spots. If anything, picks, lots and lots of picks. I would not be surprised to see a 1st & UFA picked to keep this more open.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote