HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVI

Old
05-17-2017, 06:15 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

vCash: 500
No season 4? Sounds about right...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Latest episode of Better call Saul was great. It's all good man. Classic.
Somehow, I have a feeling that we'll suddenly be getting even more tv & movie references by Saul.

Ozymandias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
huh that's weird, why are they making a Season 5 of AD considering 4 doesn't exist? nope, no season 4, none
I finally finished it last year after trying to so many times.

When you go in with an open mind, it was pretty enjoyable. It's nothing like the first three seasons, but still very good.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It literally doesn't work for Master of None. Just try watching it, looks ridiculous. I'm speaking technically here.

Maybe ultra-wide works for some other show that's set in the city and has many CUs but it didn't work for the 4-5 episodes I gave Master of None.
Which takes me back to the film school reference. Only a film school geek would force an ultra-wide "ultra-cinematic" digital look for a sitcom that doesn't need it.

I shouldn't have used nu-male, but Aziz fits the bill. My politics are orthogonal to /tv/ and especially /pol/ though, I just happen to also not worship at the altar of diversity for diversity's sake.

Aziz's entire schtick is to view the world though his personal lens, as a brown man, as the child of muslims, as a whatever. It bores me. Give me jokes about your experiences or interactions, not rants about the politics of experience that happen to allude toward being jokes.

Norm Macdonald's latest special is 100% jokes and only that. The difference between an actual comedian and whatever Aziz and his contemporaries think they are.
Norm is the Man.

Nobody is funnier cause he doesn't give a ****. That's the mentality anybody should have going into comedy. That sort of laidback approach. Bill Murray has that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ryan Gosling must be the most over rated actor in the business. The guy is a walking calvin klein billboard, so unbelievably bland. I might just give this new blade runner a miss so it doesn't ruin the first for me.
I don't think he has ever done one true honest performance of himself on screen from the movies I've seen him in. He always has that "I'm too cool for school" facade.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:37 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I finally finished it last year after trying to so many times.

When you go in with an open mind, it was pretty enjoyable. It's nothing like the first three seasons, but still very good.
yeah it hits its stride about half way through. Very very dense. Lot more dense than it was before. Innovative but at times could've used some editing. Yeah it took me a few years to finish it lol. I liked it. Definitely flaws but still top notch.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:39 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

that lazy eye though... *bites knuckles*

Old
05-20-2017, 07:18 AM
tonytwist15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't think he has ever done one true honest performance of himself on screen from the movies I've seen him in. He always has that "I'm too cool for school" facade.

I disagree. Gosling seemed quite genuine in Remember the Titans, when he got off the field, went to Petey and said "I'm not good enough". Maybe he seemed genuine because he was genuine, though.

P.S. I know this probably isn't what he actually said in the movie.

tonytwist15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 01:17 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

as long as the new Alien movie is better than Prometheus I'll be happy because I actually liked Prometheus.

Old
05-20-2017, 05:05 PM
bleuetbio

vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
as long as the new Alien movie is better than Prometheus I'll be happy because I actually liked Prometheus.
Yeah Covenant is a good movie, not an awesome one.

bleuetbio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 10:27 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
Yeah Covenant is a good movie, not an awesome one.
Too bad it wasn't better but I'll still watch it.

Speaking of sci-fi action/thrillers, I just watched Sean Connery in 1981's Outland.

Solid movie. Only heard of it a couple years ago. Really well shot. Directed by Peter Hyams. The same guy who directed the sequel to 2001. Honourable mention to Frances Sternhagen who plays the nurse. She does a great job.

Going to watch Zardoz now which is another Sean Connery cult sci-fi classic (so I hear). Some say it's awful. Some say it's amazing. I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Seems bizarre anyways.

Last edited by dackelljuneaubulis02: 05-20-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old
05-21-2017, 11:27 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Zardoz I'll forever love if only because it gave Harmon the inspiration for the giant talking heads in rick and morty.

Speaking of which, torture that they released one episode then make me wait for the rest of season 3

Old
05-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Deebs

Watched Get Out yesterday....quite poor, but a good enough time waster.

Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 12:35 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Get Out is the best film of the year so far.

Twin Peaks tonight.

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Get Out was really good

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Deebs

It was like an big budget B movie. Tries to be a thriller, mixed with bad comedy and weak acting...meh. Interesting enough idea for movie though.

Last edited by Deebs: 05-21-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 06:17 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Zardoz I'll forever love if only because it gave Harmon the inspiration for the giant talking heads in rick and morty.

Speaking of which, torture that they released one episode then make me wait for the rest of season 3
Ah man it was so good! ****ed up and silly at times but it was self aware in that regard. Still thought-provoking sci-fi. I thought it was going to be more 'so bad it's good' but no way that was a very good film. The photography was great and did some very neat things. For people who like weird sci-fi it's a must. Loved it.

I've only seen a few episodes of Rick and Morty but it's great. I need to watch more of it for sure.

Old
Yesterday, 09:29 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

a whole page worth of aspect ratio talk and NO ONE even mentions Twin freaking Peaks???

Finally watched Fire Walk with Me. Wow. I can kind of see why it was poorly received because people wanted to know what happened after but man as a stand alone movie and even as an addendum (or predendum or whatever) it's a fantastic movie. It's really intense. Sheryl Lee who finally got to really show her stuff as Laura Palmer was amazing. It's pretty crazy she didn't seem to do much outside of that. I heard it got booed at Cannes which is just ridiculous.

Still haven't seen the new episode(s) so hopefully crack into them soon. I mean all these shows we go on about now were really birthed by Twin Peaks. It's still better than a good deal of them (even with some spotty season 2 moments). I hear that the new one's different. I'm eager to see it

Old
Yesterday, 10:18 AM
mitchmagic

Watched the first 3 -- gonna get into 4.

The series is much more like FWWM than the original Twin Peaks, at least in tone. Not sure how I feel about it right now. Definitely into it though.

Fire Walk With Me is incredible and the major reason why people hated it is because it doesn't answer any questions and is even further removed from reality than the series.

Old
Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Saw Covenant last night. Sheeesh. *spoiler alert* So many things wrong. It's as if Scott changes the mythology in lieu of plot device so the movie can move along. Facehuggers that lay their eggs in a matter of seconds. Chestbusters that pop in a matter of less than an hour. Stupid humans who are supposed to be qualified to crew a multi-trillion dollar spaceship. Alien strong enough to jump against the vaccum of space. Humans too stupid to think one synthetic looking exactly like the other synthetic might have took his clothes and his place. Sorely predictable outcomes. Worst. Alien. Ever.

Last edited by Ozymandias: Yesterday at 10:42 AM.
Ozymandias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:35 AM
habsfanatics*

Starting watching "The Handmaid's Tale", I'm on episode 3 and I can't figure out if I'm enjoying it at all or not, but I keep watching it.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:37 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Saw Coveant last night. Sheeesh. *spoiler alert* So many things wrong. It's as if Scott changes the mythology in lieu of plot device so the movie can move along. Facehuggers that lay their eggs in a matter of seconds. Chestbusters that pop in a matter of less than an hour. Stupid humans who are supposed to be qualified to crew a multi-trillion dollar spaceship. Alien strong enough to jump against the vaccum of space. Humans too stupid to think one synthetic looking exactly like the other synthetic might have took his clothes and his place. Sorely predictable outcomes. Worst. Alien. Ever.
I believe this part. Par for the course for humanity, I'm afraid.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:40 AM
mitchmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habnatic View Post
Starting watching "The Handmaid's Tale", I'm on episode 3 and I can't figure out if I'm enjoying it at all or not, but I keep watching it.
It's really really great.

Old
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Saw Covenant last night. Sheeesh. *spoiler alert* So many things wrong. It's as if Scott changes the mythology in lieu of plot device so the movie can move along. Facehuggers that lay their eggs in a matter of seconds. Chestbusters that pop in a matter of less than an hour. Stupid humans who are supposed to be qualified to crew a multi-trillion dollar spaceship. Alien strong enough to jump against the vaccum of space. Humans too stupid to think one synthetic looking exactly like the other synthetic might have took his clothes and his place. Sorely predictable outcomes. Worst. Alien. Ever.
Ouch...

Old
Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Just watch The Conjuring.

I don't know man. I don't believe in any of it and exorcism movies bore me to death, this one was an ok one of those I guess... like a 6/10 maybe

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Runner77

vCash: 8500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics* View Post
Am on the fence about The Handmaid's Tale.

Started watching Twin Peaks, struggled to get into it, so interrupted it and left it for later.

Looking forward to this end of month's offerings on Netflix, however.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote