HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Wilson

Old
05-15-2017, 08:22 AM
OV Rocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twabby View Post
I'd tentatively pencil him as 3RW but I wouldn't mind seeing him in the top 6 for periods of time and see if he can stick.
Caps HAVE to start putting their young guys in places where they can succeed. Wilson, Burakovksy, Kuznetsov, and Vrana come to mind.

Give me a Burakovksy-Kuznetsov-Wilson line for a month, see how they do.

If that doesn't work get Burakovsky with Ovechkin. Either have Kuzy or Nicky center them. Burakovksy and Ovi worked well together his rookie year.

Get Wilson some talent. He is naturally going to be good at cycling becuase of his size but his physical play has to evolve in front of the net. Imagine having to clear that human being out of the crease as he is whacking away at rebounds. Why isn't he there more often?!?!?!?!

Get Kuzy on PP1. Backstrom is better than anyone in the league at quarterbacking a PP and Kuznetsov is dynamic at creating open ice for himself and others. Give him a chance in MOJO's spot.

Play Vrana and make it up to him on if he wants to stay in the league or not.

Throw a young AHL d-man with Niskanen on the second pair. Pair Orlov and Schmidt together for a pretty dynamic tandem and get Carlson someone who has even a tiny bit of skill.

Crosby has turned freakin Guentzel into a playoff hero, he's done the same for Rust and Sheary. You have to let the young guys play and see what they have.

Back to Wilson- He is a force but used in a horrible way. Get him to the front of the net way more

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 08:32 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by OV Rocks View Post
Back to Wilson- He is a force but used in a horrible way. Get him to the front of the net way more
I agree but I also don't think he has proven he can thrive camped out in front of the net at this point. The guy can't seem to stay on his feet when he makes contact, or is contacted, with opposing players. Always on his ass. If he tried to work the net at this point it would be just more of the same.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 05:25 PM
badi

Wilson should spend the summer watching tape of Wayne Simmonds work in front of net ,,,,
Then we could see if he has enough skill to make it work

badi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 09:52 AM
txpd

Wilson has an offseason program provided by the team each off season. From what I remember he has worked mostly and very hard on his skating skills. The results have been clear.

I imagine he will he working on his hands this off season. My view though, is that his game to present has been played primarily along the boards. He needs direction on when to go to the front of the net and to concentrate more on that. Johansson went to those dirty areas with regularity this past season. That's coaching. Wilson is certainly not afraid to go there, so his lack of presence there is probably just that his focus needs to be adjusted.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:19 AM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Wilson has an offseason program provided by the team each off season. From what I remember he has worked mostly and very hard on his skating skills. The results have been clear.

I imagine he will he working on his hands this off season. My view though, is that his game to present has been played primarily along the boards. He needs direction on when to go to the front of the net and to concentrate more on that. Johansson went to those dirty areas with regularity this past season. That's coaching. Wilson is certainly not afraid to go there, so his lack of presence there is probably just that his focus needs to be adjusted.
Wilson hasn't been used the right way from the moment he got in the league. First of all he should've been in Hershey that first season to develop into the professional game. Instead he was used as a dummy bruiser to fight and hit, albeit very good at it his sole purpose for Oates was to goon it up. Then he was stuck on the 4th line under Trotz and his inability to develop young guys. He was without any purpose the last two seasons under him I believe.

Old
05-16-2017, 12:24 PM
artilector

Quote:
Wilson hasn't been used the right way from the moment he got in the league. First of all he should've been in Hershey that first season to develop into the professional game. Instead he was used as a dummy bruiser to fight and hit, albeit very good at it his sole purpose for Oates was to goon it up. Then he was stuck on the 4th line under Trotz and his inability to develop young guys. He was without any purpose the last two seasons under him I believe.
I have no idea what you are watching.

"Under Trotz", so far, Wilson went from being a 4th line goon to a guy who is pretty legit in the shutdown role, skating has improved tenfold, and he's showing every sign that he's on the brink of taking a big step offensively.

Under Oates, sure, he languished. Under Trotz it's been a gradual but non-stop improvement.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:26 PM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I have no idea what you are watching.

"Under Trotz", so far, Wilson went from being a 4th line goon to a guy who is pretty legit in the shutdown role, skating has improved tenfold, and he's showing every sign that he's on the brink of taking a big step offensively.

Under Oates, sure, he languished. Under Trotz it's been a gradual but non-stop improvement.
He's added penalty killing but there was been no push to improve any form of offense outside of a cycle

Old
05-16-2017, 12:27 PM
hockeyfan88

Wilson for captain.

hockeyfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:53 PM
artilector

Quote:
He's added penalty killing but there was been no push to improve any form of offense outside of a cycle
I also want Wilson to play like a bigger, badder Pavel Bure, but.. one step at a time.

Skating & overall defense (not just PK), where there was basically none, are already huge development steps.

On offense, Wilson has not stalled, either. He's making a lot more plays now than before. And even though I'm all aboard giving young guys maximum chances, there were objective factors that limited Wilson's time with more skilled guys -- Oshie & Williams, on a team trying to win "now".

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:56 PM
txpd

Quote:
Totally disagree. Wilson is a feared player. His hitting has great impact and his fighting and other forms of protection have proven results. That's what he started with. He has worked hard on his skating and that changes his game. His penalty killing is impressive as is his defensive play. Which is remarkable considering his age. Defense usual comes with age and experience.

He has been playing behind Oshie and Williams. He wasn't going to get power play time.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 12:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
unless you're in the practices, hearing Wilson's one on one conversations with coaches, you're making this assumption based on results you're seeing on ice.

Wilson is just not as skilled as his 1st rounder billing led many fans to believe. He was always going to be a slow developer AND he's still pretty young. After this year, I think the Caps are probably pretty happy with Wilson's development arc honestly.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:15 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
He couldn't have been in Hershey that first year, his only option was Plymouth in the OHL or in the NHL. So those were his two development options, you can thank the NHL-CHL transfer agreement for that.

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I still argue that he would have been better served in the OHL that season (perhaps with a 9 game stint in the NHL as to get him a cup of coffee but not burn a contract year*).

*Albeit his cap hit on the opening night roster is what cost them Perreault

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 06:41 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
IIRC and likely pressured to play him, based on the Erat disaster. #savingface

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 01:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

I doubt the two are related at all. I'm guessing they determined they were better off with him on the roster (right or wrong) and kept him up. Pretty simple.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote